Brandon Shell Reportedly Intends to Retire

BuffaloBillyG

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There’s been years the Bills OL has graded above average, around top 10. Last year was definitely one of their worst as a unit. Looks like both OG’s will be different, one being the top pure OG in the draft. 

We’ll see. I guess it comes back to Spencer Brown. They love his potential. It would’ve been amazing to come out of the draft with Torrance and Dawand Jones.

In fairness, the Bills OL is typically graded higher then it actually plays on the field. The Josh Allen factor helps them out a good deal.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I hope you mean tackle depth because it would be inexplicable for you to be concerned about the interior. The Bills have one of the deepest, best interior groups in the NFL with three quality starters and two starting-caliber backups.

On paper this is a better group than last year but still need to see real results (i.e. actually being able to run block and run the football consistently).

Speaking of interior, my bigger concerns is still with Morse avoiding another (potential career ending) concussion and if McGovern will be a real upgrade at LG.

As for RG, I'm very excited about Torrance and hoping we finally struck gold like the Chiefs did with Humphrey and he's not forced to sit on the bench behind a lessor player because of this coaching staff's obsession with not playing rookies much. He needs to be full go from day one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s been bad the last two years and was exposed in the championship game against KC… Allen makes everything look a hell of a lot better than it is.

I wouldn't necessarily say that is the case with regards to the OL.  I believe Josh is basically last in the league in time to throw, meaning he holds it forever.  

24 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I wonder what his reason was. This is a ding to depth for sure, but it's possible he would have landed on the practice squad anyway.

He had a lot of nagging injuries the last 4 years and is 30 now.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s been bad the last two years and was exposed in the championship game against KC… Allen makes everything look a hell of a lot better than it is.

I think you’re being overly critical. They were middle of the league average in 2021 and dropped a little below that last year. They did improve as the year went on. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Welp, there's one tackle down. Likely the corresponding move to Matakevich coming off PUP

So update, placed on the reserve/retired list

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-offensive-tackle-brandon-shell-not-at-practice-intends-to-retire/article_fd0bcaa8-3b8a-11ee-a708-0793679ff8a0.html

Annnnd the obvious pun....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Then the NFL needs to adapt their OL prototypes. Just like they did after dealing with 20 years of almost zero great QBs coming out. The NFL adapted and accepted the less traditional, more mobile, running QBs and now we have a whole new base of young star QBs. And the League is the most exciting and interesting it's been since the 90s.

Yup, the pro game is the college game only better, but why can’t college guys block worth a dam when they get to the pros, 

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, the pro game is the college game only better, but why can’t college guys block worth a dam when they get to the pros, 

Because in college you're lucky to maybe play against one person who is NFL caliber on a defensive line when you play an opposing team. You suddenly get to the NFL and every single person on that defensive line is NFL caliber.

Also in college the hashes are much farther apart and you'd be surprised as to what that does to blocking schemes, formations and line movement and how that affects how defenses can play the offense, disguise coverages and how it forces the offense to play on a much 'wider' field in the NFL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, uninja said:

Because in college you're lucky to maybe play against one person who is NFL caliber on a defensive line when you play an opposing team. You suddenly get to the NFL and every single person on that defensive line is NFL caliber.

Also in college the hashes are much farther apart and you'd be surprised as to what that does to blocking schemes, formations and line movement and how that affects how defenses can play the offense, disguise coverages and how it forces the offense to play on a much 'wider' field in the NFL.

Also most college offenses are single-read spread schemes. OLs are not asked to hold a block for nearly as long as they are in the NFL so it makes it a hard position to evaluate.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Regardless of this development, I'm still very uncomfortable with this oline as a whole.

With that said, won't be surprised if Beane tries making a power move for another proven veteran since he some chips available to play with (i.e. defensive line depth).

Damn, I thought you were gone. I hope there's room in the Invisible Clubhouse.

Damn. Shell was someone who had 61 starts in 70 games and started double digit games last season. He represented some hope outside of Spencer Brown and the guys we had behind him last year in David Quessenberry and Tommy Doyle.

Obviously, it didn't work out. Now we're most likely running back the same guys behind Brown. I don't like that. I knew Spencer Brown wasn't going to be replaced, but someone new with starting experience that provided insurance if Brown faltered outside of Q and Doyle would have been nice.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

Who from the supposed DL depth pool is going to fetch a proven OL? Basham? No. This ship has sailed. Beane’s sole addition to OT retired after the first preseason game. It’s quite remarkable they’re still in this position at OL.

Silence dolfan 

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Also most college offenses are single-read spread schemes. OLs are not asked to hold a block for nearly as long as they are in the NFL so it makes it a hard position to evaluate.

Agree. But they do also run a lot of screens in college. Makes you wonder why the Bills OL can't block for a screen for the last decade.

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

if a tree falls in a forest......

Gods creatures hear it…

😁👍

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Anybody here think Shell was going to be on the 53?

Um, no eman.

This isn’t exactly a huge loss.  He most likely recognized he wasn’t making the 53.  Doyle’s knee issue probably isn’t as bad as we worried about last weekend.

Doyke is a tough guy and maybe is impressing at camp.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Um, no eman.

This isn’t exactly a huge loss.  He most likely recognized he wasn’t making the 53.  Doyle’s knee issue probably isn’t as bad as we worried about last weekend.

Doyke is a tough guy and maybe is impressing at camp.

Lots of posts in the thread when he signed that he’s better than Brown or would push him for the starting job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This seems to be repeated everywhere as if to excuse Beane…. As if it’s impossible to build a good offensive line in today’s NFL….meanwhile the Bills Achilles heel the past three seasons(Chiefs) did it in one offseason..…. You can do it if you invest and don’t half ass it to prioritize other(namely defense) positions…. McBeane finally did more there this past offseason though not sure they did enough. 

Beane doesn’t need excuses for building a championship contender. None whatsoever. 
By the way, I thought the consensus around here was the defense is the issue. 

29 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Lots of posts in the thread when he signed that he’s better than Brown or would push him for the starting job.

Airseven, if what you are saying is true that means TSW might be susceptible to board members quickly throwing injured Bills (Brown) under the bus and giving broad superlative praise to the new guy in town.  

I am going to have to research this a bit because I am finding it difficult to believe.

😁

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In fairness, the Bills OL is typically graded higher then it actually plays on the field. The Josh Allen factor helps them out a good deal.

They’re not grading the oline properly if this the case. If I’m grading the oline, I’m watching the oline. I can see if Josh saves the oline and grade accordingly. 

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Based on watching the First Game.  I am fine with 

Gouraige and Van Demark battling for that Swing tackle.  Both seemed to hold up rather well in their time. 

I need to see them play snaps against 1s before i feel confident about those guys. I'm still in camp "Trade for Beachum"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.