Brandon Shell Reportedly Intends to Retire

BuffaloBillyG

I haven't been following the offseason or camp too closely.  Is this a big loss with regards to tackle depth?  I thought Shell was considered someone that could potentially start if needed.  How's he looked in comparison to Tommy Doyle?  And I would think this bodes well for Gouriage making the team?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I haven't been following the offseason or camp too closely.  Is this a big loss with regards to tackle depth?  I thought Shell was considered someone that could potentially start if needed.  How's he looked in comparison to Tommy Doyle?  And I would think this bodes well for Gouriage making the team?

Not a big loss based on what I have read from camp

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Tommy Doyle definitely looked the part of the 3rd OT. So this could be Shell responding to his roster status. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Interesting.. I wonder if this took the Bills by surprise or if he fell down the depth chart because of the play of someone like Gouraige?... 

From what I've heard of Van Demark, he seems far better at LT than RT.  

Doyle is intriguing if he can have some better injury luck... this attributes are off the chart. 

Edited by SCBills

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

He was likely 3rd string behind Quessenberry. 

• Disagree 1

I think there was always a decent chance we were keeping: 1 Vet backup and 1 young/developing backup at our 2 tackle spots for depth.  Based on camp reports and performance in game 1.

So it was likely down to Quesenberry vs Shell & Doyle vs Gourirage vs VandeMark.  Possible we roll with a combo of Doyle and a young guy, but I think the staff likes Quessenberry.

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Interesting.. I wonder if this took the Bills by surprise or if he fell down the depth chart because of the play of someone like Gouraige?... 

From what I've heard of Van Demark, he seems far better at LT than RT.  

Doyle is intriguing if he can have some better injury luck... this attributes are off the chart. 

I always thought Gouriage had a shot,

• Like (+1) 1

Dam. I thought that was a sneaky good signing by Beane that would push Brown for a starting spot. 

At this point, they really have no other choice but to hope Brown gets better.

This is the reason why drafting smurf linebackers in back to back third rounds is such a waste. That could have been two OTs to develop. Instead we are stuck with Doyle who looked terrible before the injury.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

One suggestion I saw was a Boogie Bashum for Kelvin Beachum swap. Seems to make logical sense for both teams. AZ gets a cost controlled former 2nd round DL and loses a 34 year old OT who was pushed out by a 1st round pick. Buff gets a significant upgrade in experience at swing OT and a true plan B to Brown. Money works. Which all, of course, means it won't happen.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:31 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Clearly that's what he's saying.

The article reads 'Buffalo is interested if he wants to ring chase aka come cheap' and he is replying to that with essentially "F that". Anyone who wants to read it differently is in total denial.

• Like (+1) 1

I still have hope for Spencer Brown .. seems people are clinging to him having one bad practice and Joe Marino tweeting out that he couldn’t bend over to pick up his helmet one day.  

The rest of his camp reports have been pretty good.  

We certainly need better tackle depth .. I like the suggestion of sending out a Day 3 pick for Kelvin Beachum. 

Maybe one of these days Beane will take a swing on an OL that everyone here is clamoring for … he did pull the trigger on Torrence, so kudos there, but this fanbase wanted Humphrey, Smith and Dawand Jones … I don’t even want to entertain the hype Jones is getting at Browns camp right now. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Surprised he would not have conversation with Bills on his chance of making PS.

It is likely a job which would pay him more than any other job he could get right now.

He made $13M in his short career. If he managed it well, he shouldn't need another job. Maybe he wants to relax, do some volunteer work, or just spend time with his family.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Surprised he would not have conversation with Bills on his chance of making PS.

It is likely a job which would pay him more than any other job he could get right now.

The max PS salary is $20,600/wk. For 18 weeks, that's $370,800.

If he has even $4M properly invested he can make about that much without having to leave his house.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Wonder if the team “offered him” a retirement in lieu of the alternative. Might make it easier for him to re-enter league down the road without the stigma of an early training camp release. 

No chance. At cutdowns that might happen, but not with two preseason games to go. Even if he wasn't going to be our 3rd OT - and I still think he was - an injury can change things in a hurry. He wasn't a great OT or anything, but he could've kept Ques off the field, or maybe even off the roster. 🤬

23 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I still have hope for Spencer Brown .. seems people are clinging to him having one bad practice and Joe Marino tweeting out that he couldn’t bend over to pick up his helmet one day.  

The rest of his camp reports have been pretty good.  

We certainly need better tackle depth .. I like the suggestion of sending out a Day 3 pick for Kelvin Beachum. 

Maybe one of these days Beane will take a swing on an OL that everyone here is clamoring for … he did pull the trigger on Torrence, so kudos there, but this fanbase wanted Humphrey, Smith and Dawand Jones … I don’t even want to entertain the hype Jones is getting at Browns camp right now. 

Good points and I agree. We must also remember that the entire NFL is short on quality depth at O-Line positions in general. There's not a ton coming up through the pipelines in college football.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.