This place has become poisonous

Dr. K

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I've been a member of this community since the very beginning, in 2001. 

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

I made a similar comment the other day. 
I enjoy all the news on here but my participation levels surely have faded over the last month or two. 
It’s a game, it’s supposed to be fun. 

• Like (+1) 18
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Through the depths of the drought, I've never seen so much whining and anger and lashing out as what goes on daily on this board right now. Not everybody is guilty of this—there are a good number of eminently sane people who post here frequently—but the percentage of people acting like three-year-olds having temper tantrums is as high or higher than it has ever been.

I went away for the last weeks since the loss to the Bengals thinking that of course people are going to act out their disappointment; it's natural, I thought, let them get it out of their system. But it's as bad this morning as ever. I've tried blocking the worst offenders but the list would be too long to comprehend at this point. If the Bills were to take one fifth of the hysterical suggestions that are made every hour on this board, they would be out of the playoffs for the next twenty years. 

I realize this is likely my problem, not yours. So I'm giving it a pass at least until the draft, and maybe until training camp.

I hope some of you will get out of the house now and then and breathe some fresh air. 

Well, I agree to a point, but it's understandable.  What happens every year at this time is people are looking back on the season and talking about what didn't work.  Only time that won't happen is if the Bills win the Super Bowl.  

So, what didn't work?   The defense and the offense let the team down in the playoffs.  Why?   Well, that's what people are talking about.  Not very productively, in my opinion, because I think the problems are much more nuanced than people here seem to think, but that's just my opinion.  

I am amazed, however, that people think McDermott is the problem.   He's probably a top-five head coach, and people are complaining about him be too soft, or too oriented to the defense, or something.  I don't get that at all. 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s not a problem with this message board, it’s a problem with the fan base and it’s totally understandable.

After a very long history of failure (my entire adult life as I’m 37 years old), there is finally excitement and hope again.

Any time that hope is dashed, the feelings are amplified. People feel like THIS is our one and only chance… and perhaps rightfully so.

A little bit of understanding and grace will go a long way in just enjoying this historic moment we’re currently in.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

Fans in general get too negative.  

If you no longer have hope - why continue being a fan? If I was really hopeless about this team, or McDermott, or whatever, I'd just move on.  But I'm not; we got some bad breaks this year, but we'll be back.

I plan on enjoying every second of Allen's career, and feeling excited as long as we have him at QB.  We probably won't get another guy like this in my lifetime, and we're very fortunate to have him.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

37 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

We've reached the level where I've seen a fair number of people saying we need to trade Diggs, which makes zero football or financial sense whatsoever. 

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It’s not a problem with this message board, it’s a problem with the fan base and it’s totally understandable.

After a very long history of failure (my entire adult life as I’m 37 years old), there is finally excitement and hope again.

Any time that hope is dashed, the feelings are amplified. People feel like THIS is our one and only chance… and perhaps rightfully so.

A little bit of understanding and grace will go a long way in just enjoying this historic moment we’re currently in.

I think it's ok to let people have their feelings.

As you say, it's understandable.  What we're seeing is something of a delayed (but entirely predictable, and predicted) reaction to "13 Seconds."  After that debacle, many fans here and elsewhere reassured themselves that the Bills were razor-close and would be back next year.  Then you had a super emotional season full of extreme highs and lows (including in almost every single game), and the fans were completely emotionally invested in the team all season.  That ended with the team completely face-planting on national television.  Fans have a right to be upset that they showed up that day but the team didn't - perhaps some feel that the players were less emotionally locked in to winning than the fans were, which understandably is frustrating.  And the post-season statements by the organization have done nothing to reassure folks that appropriate self-scouting is underway with an eye towards changing.  Pegula has a lot going on personally, so it's not fair to expect him to face the media about it, but can you imagine a scenario where the Cowboys get completely steamrolled as home favorites in the playoffs and Jerry Jones says nothing about it?  Fans invest a lot of money, time and emotional energy into the product and it's frustrating not to hear that there's still an expectation of championship-level football, and not to see some evidence of accountability from the organization after what happened.

Frustration is completely understandable.  Part of having a committed fanbase - a mafia - is a venting of frustrations when expectations aren't met and accountability isn't owned.  If the OP doesn't like all of that - see you in September.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We've reached the level where I've seen a fair number of people saying we need to trade Diggs.  I have to agree.

Diggs essentially just put the front office and coaching staff and probably Josh to some extent on blast but fans questioning whether or not McD/Beane can get this done is the problem?

Ok then.  

And he did.  If you disagree I’d like to hear why.  He’s just frustrated?  It’s not the post game.  It’s not a day after.  He’s had 3 weeks to digest this.  And he’s playing footsie with Dallas now.  

I think that star WR I absolutely do not want to trade is summing up exactly how the fans feel.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

Fans in general get too negative.  

If you no longer have hope - why continue being a fan? If I was really hopeless about this team, or McDermott, or whatever, I'd just move on.  But I'm not; we got some bad breaks this year, but we'll be back.

I plan on enjoying every second of Allen's career, and feeling excited as long as we have him at QB.  We probably won't get another guy like this in my lifetime, and we're very fortunate to have him.

This is the exact reason I dropped the Knicks when Dolan brought in Isaiah Thomas and Marbury. You can move on. Some of you should move on. 
Every movie can’t be an Oscar winner, but It’s not like the Bills are a 1 based on Rotten Tomatoes. I’ve enjoyed every season under this regime will continue to. 
It must suck watching Bills football with some of you guys. Unless we’re blowing the opponent out, I guess. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs essentially just put the front office and coaching staff and probably Josh to some extent on blast but fans questioning whether or not McD/Beane can get this done is the problem?

Ok then.  

And he did.  If you disagree I’d like to hear why.  He’s just frustrated?  It’s not the post game.  It’s not a day after.  He’s had 3 weeks to digest this.  And he’s playing footsie with Dallas now.  

I think that star WR I absolutely do not want to trade is summing up exactly how the fans feel.  

I think you're reading into things and trying to add context that isn't there.   We need more guys like Diggs, not less.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I understand the OP comments. Seems like the "poisonous" label come more from missing out on the super bowl, suspect coaching, bad drafting etc. For me the poisonous comment stems more from (a lot) of the board members sniping at one another. This board is supposed to be fun and to share thoughts about the Bills and football. Too many posters are determined to prove their thoughts and comments are always right, even if it means in-fighting with other members. Please loose the always right attitudes everyone! It's keeping many of us from wanting to share our thoughts in a fun, respectful way.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We have an ultra passionate fanbase.  A lot of our fans consume a ton of content and legitimately know what they’re talking about.  Of course, some don’t.. as is the case with every fanbase. 

As someone pointed out, this is the delayed reaction to 13 seconds.  Many were gutted, but willing to accept we were close.. we were taking the steps needed.   Then this year happened and we got demolished, without even getting back to the AFC CG (again). 

Couple that with a fanbase that has been openly questioning things like having a Defensive-minded HC, the level of investment into the Defense and many of the draft picks Beane has been making lately.  

When fans are furious in consecutive years with Day 2 picks (Bernard & Basham) and both times they seem to be very much justified in their questioning … it’s going to enhance the level of frustration.  We needed OL & WR help, yet here we are with a useless rotation DE and a guy who can’t even see the field with injuries.  

The Daboll leaves, and has a ton of success, taking Hodgins with him.. who, to a lesser extent, pulls another Wyatt Teller.  

It’s all starting to add up. 

Fans are starting to feel like they know more and/or care more than a handful of people in the organization.   That’s never a good place to be in.  As someone pointed out the Knicks… unbelievably dedicated fanbase for what they’ve been dealt… but eventually, with repeated expectations, it reaches a boiling point and either something changes, or fans walk away.  

It’s better than apathy, but it’s what changes in the org/fanbase when you have expectations. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

From what I've seen over the last 3 weeks is there are a greater number of overgrown todders who don't have control over their emotions than rational people here. The constant whining, crying, blubbering, ranting & raving has been at a level like nothing I've seen on this board before. I've been comparing it to a small child screaming & crying because mommy didn't buy them ice cream.

And for what? Another McBeane have to go or else thread or there must be accountability thread? Like they get a say in the matter. It's all for nothing, but hey they get to ***** and moan about it. Hate to see how these people deal with real adversity and trying times in life. My parents would've knocked me into next week if I acted like they are as a child, let alone as an adult. 

• Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

For me personally my frustration stems from the fact that we finally have an elite QB after a two decade wait and the prime of his career is going to be gone before we know it. So the stakes have gotten much higher. I suspect that many fans feel the same way, consciously or not. The 13 seconds debacle was the epitome of this - our QB had arguably the greatest performance in playoff history but got screwed over by his coaches and teammates (mainly on the defense). So everything is coming to a head now and yes frustrations are boiling over.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 8

I know we're all very disappointed on how the season ended, but I enjoyed watching most of the games this season.  It is great to be a Bill's fan. They have great talent and anything is possible. I think back on those depressed years and remember being happy when they were able to score a touchdown or two.  Super excited when they actually won a game.  Now I'm happy we have a team that we can be proud of.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

People need an outlet. There's those that aren't satisfied with just making the playoffs anymore and those fans that are content. 

Stop. Very few, if any are just content on making the playoffs. What do you people do when real bad **** happens in your personal lives? Run to a forum and whine and cry about it? Run to a corner of a dark room and cry yourselves to sleep? Time to take the dresses off and put your big boy pants on, it's been long enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Stop. Very few, if any are just content on making the playoffs. What do you people do when real bad **** happens in your personal lives? Run to a forum and whine and cry about it? Run to a corner of a dark room and cry yourselves to sleep? Time to take the dresses off and put your big boy pants on, it's been long enough.

I usually drown it down with brown because no one else is going through what I’m going through. With the Bills I have thousands of others going through the same thing, dealing with the same emotions. And there are plenty completely satisfied with the current direction of the team.

Edited by uticaclub
  • Dislike 1

37 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I totally agree with you

The people that are ruining it by their constant bitching, and not being happy about the historic moment, should take a chill pill

• Like (+1) 1

Counterpoint..people like the op and those who agree with him/her are the worst kinds of fans. If we win, awesome. If we lose.. it's okay it's just football, go take care of your family. Just the worst kind of condescending, gatekeeping bs that is the real poison . You're starting a thread complaining about other people complaining. Who's the real loser here?

If a game doesn't affect you the way it does other fans, then why do you even need to post this here? Beyond that, wtf else are we supposed to be discussing here the week of the super bowl knowing that we could easily have been playing in this game?

Some of you have perspective that you believe the rest of us lack. Nonsense, but you do you. Pat yourself on the back. Also know this though, if and when the Bills finally do win it all, it'll feel much better to those of us who are that emotionally invested in them compared to y'all in the level-headed brigade.

Edited by QB Bills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

For me personally I never felt higher as a Bills fan than after our demolishing of the Titans in week two. We had huge expectations and up to that point we were actually surpassing them.  But it has been a slow decline since then and I’ve never felt worse as a Bills fan than I do today. 

The drought years were filled with terrible teams that had no shot at true success. That made it less painful. These past few years feel like wasted opportunities and even worse I find it hard to imagine excitement for next regular season when it all really boils down to the postseason. 

I haven’t listened to sports talk radio of any kind since the Bills lost to the Bengals. It was once a a morning ritual to tune in. As of right now I’m not sure when I will again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Welcome to man kind in general as most people are pessimistic. 

Most people have a certain level of depression because they work their lives away with very little leisure or meaning to their life.  It’s very sad but true. 

Their one hope is the Bills as their dopamine, passion, whatever and when they lose in the playoffs or in general it leads to that further depression again. It’s a very vicious cycle. Combine that with the Bills haven’t been very successful over the years and the build up shows. 

I love the Bills always have but I no longer allow them to be my sole source to live my life through. I have to  compartmentalize that they aren’t in my top things that are important in my life. That I can’t let them losing ruin the next 72 hours when people need me to be there. 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

What historic moment?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For me personally my frustration stems from the fact that we finally have an elite QB after a two decade wait and the prime of his career is going to be gone before we know it. So the stakes have gotten much higher. I suspect that many fans feel the same way, consciously or not. The 13 seconds debacle was the epitome of this - our QB had arguably the greatest performance in playoff history but got screwed over by his coaches and teammates (mainly on the defense). So everything is coming to a head now and yes frustrations are boiling over.

The crazy thing to me is that there are people here who will not blame the defense for the KC loss last year.  Never mind the squib kick - what did the defense do on the two plays following?  What did the defense do in the drive immediately preceding :13, and in OT?  

It's hard to take those people seriously.

• Agree 1

Expectations were really high this season and they were not met.  The success that the team has had during the time that McBeane have been in charge is amazing, particularly when compared to the team's performance prior to their arrival, but the team's success also has caused a readjustment of expectations. which I guess was inevitable.  Not meeting expectations led to scrutiny, with some legitimate questions raised about coaching and the composition of the team.  

I think what is causing the current angst and toxicity on the board is the concern that we will not have as much success next year since the coaching staff generally will remain intact and we are limited in our ability to improve player talent, coupled with facing significant free agent losses.  It doesn't help to have concerns about Diggs' happiness with the team and Josh.  Our fan base is particularly sensitive about star players being unhappy about playing for the Bills, and this is an additional layer of angst that we just don't need.

McBeane have a lot of pressure this offseason to keep the players motivated and confident while improving the overall talent.  Tough task with the same coaching staff returning and very limited cap space, but let's hope that they can figure out a way to make the moves necessary to get us where we need to be.

Edited by jahnyc
typo

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

Take a long break. Don’t rush back. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Counterpoint..people like the op and those who agree with him/her are the worst kinds of fans. If we win, awesome. If we lose.. it's okay it's just football, go take care of your family. Just the worst kind of condescending, gatekeeping bs that is the real poison . You're starting a thread complaining about other people complaining. Who's the real loser here?

If a game doesn't affect you the way it does other fans, then why do you even need to post this here? Beyond that, wtf else are we supposed to be discussing here the week of the super bowl knowing that we could easily have been playing in this game?

Some of you have perspective that you believe the rest of us lack. Nonsense, but you do you. Pat yourself on the back. Also know this though, if and when the Bills finally do win it all, it'll feel much better to those of us who are that emotionally invested in them compared to y'all in the level-headed brigade.

The bolded may be the dumbest ####ing thing I have ever seen written on this board, which is saying a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I totally agree with you

The people that are ruining it by their constant bitching, and not being happy about the historic moment, should take a chill pill

name all the fanbases that deal with another year of legit SB hopes ending in painful playoff exit with "chill pills" and "happy" fans.

Disappointment is the more natural response in this scenario---and it may manifest in many forms, from thoughtful to overwrought--far more natural than the "just be happy we have a team in Buffalo that is competitive".  That's actually a pretty abnormal (as these things go) reaction to a season such as the Bills just ended..

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I agree to a point, but it's understandable.  What happens every year at this time is people are looking back on the season and talking about what didn't work.  Only time that won't happen is if the Bills win the Super Bowl.  

So, what didn't work?   The defense and the offense let the team down in the playoffs.  Why?   Well, that's what people are talking about.  Not very productively, in my opinion, because I think the problems are much more nuanced than people here seem to think, but that's just my opinion.  

I am amazed, however, that people think McDermott is the problem.   He's probably a top-five head coach, and people are complaining about him be too soft, or too oriented to the defense, or something.  I don't get that at all. 

Thanks for this

Discussion helps ease the frustration IMO. Therapeutic. This topic was therapeutic for OP. One of my favorite posters on twitter plays the devils advocate. Even his positives are given the negatives along it. Myself personally, I don't want to read about how everythings peachy- keen when its not. I'm one of the biggest homers on this forum when it comes to defending the Buffalo Bills. Its not what I come here to read. What draws my interest the most is controversy.

Edited by Figster

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Nothing makes the board more enjoyable than the self righteousness of the superior fans. 

Especially when those superior fans take time to come here and talk down to the other people on the board? 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.