Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’d forget Hines.

Singletary 12-15 for this game, Cook at 7-8. 

Hines, I don’t really see where he fits out there and don’t want him taking snaps over Cook.

I swap Cook with Singletary.  They are building Cook up slowly.  I think they are at the point where they give him more.  With more touches I think he makes a bigger impact than Singletary.  

24 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Could be a blessing in disguise.  The offense is too reliant of Allen.  Use this to expand the run game and match it with play action.  Retire the design qb runs til January. 

Why? He doesnt get injured running the ball. He actually gets more injured throwing from the pocket as we see here.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I can't walk you through the math right now but a while back it was demonstrated that losing non-conference games actually helps with the tie breakers come playoff seeding time.  Its not at all intuitive but hard to argue with the proof. Go in with an open mind and thank me later.

I can't believe this is real. LMFAO, TBD gold!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’d forget Hines.

Hines, I don’t really see where he fits out there and don’t want him taking snaps over Cook.

Well they all have the same skill set. Singletary has soundly beaten Cook. Hines runs with a bit more pop. But basically all the same. Like having the same picture hanging on the wall in your place. There's no change up.

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I swap Cook with Singletary.  They are building Cook up slowly.  I think they are at the point where they give him more.  With more touches I think he makes a bigger impact than Singletary.  

I dont know.  As much as I want to see Cook succeed, he is really slow on his reads for lanes and has shown poor vision.  Ive watched him miss so many open lanes to just take a path to get a couple more yards when he could have cut back and picked up a ton more.  

His field vision and awareness is very low right now.  Granted, more snaps and experience can help this, but right now, his vision is substantially lower than Devins which is why Devin is much better at picking up tough yards in finding small lanes to get through.  \

Devin is just faster the hole, and that is more important than break away speed

21 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Not all of them. There are a lot of fins fans and kc fans and other fans all wishing Josh well.  Likewise there are a lot of scumbag fans laughing at it.  This isnt a fan thing.  This is just a some people are scum of the earth thing.

Okay, not all of them.  Most of them are ***** garbage.

Day to day means it's likely we don't need to flush the whole season. Yes, we felt we were destined to win the division, and the #1 seed. But at this point, we need to find the best path to make the playoffs, and be healthy and firing on all cylinders in January.

You don't punt on the division, or seeding. But it can't be the main priority with the current MASH unit we have right now. As for Josh, if he "can" play, he will play IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

If Allen does play it may force team to be more run centric which may not be a bad thing in the long run. Team needs to figure out how to run ball effectively otherwise will be a bad to average Josh Allen game from getting knocked out of the playoffs.

I’d say regardless who’s at qb we’ll see a more run oriented offense this week. We can’t rely on Keenum like we do Allen. Unfortunately his arm doesn’t stretch the field like Allen, which will allow the defense to play more compact.

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I swap Cook with Singletary.  They are building Cook up slowly.  I think they are at the point where they give him more.  With more touches I think he makes a bigger impact than i

I've seem Cook fall forward with momentum once. The position doesn't require seasoning. Singletary is a beast and a better receiver next to Cook

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’d forget Hines.

Did you see that one incomplete pass to Hines the other day when he was open but the ball was overthrown? LBs and safeties cannot cover him. He presents matchup problems that Motor and Cook don’t. We will all see where he fits as he becomes more acclimated. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I can't walk you through the math right now but a while back it was demonstrated that losing non-conference games actually helps with the tie breakers come playoff seeding time.  Its not at all intuitive but hard to argue with the proof. Go in with an open mind and thank me later.

hahaha oh man, this thread will always be gold.  I refused to engage it in when it was up and just sat back and watched the comments as people fed the troll lmao.  

I miss ieatcrayonz lol...lots of other good peeps in there I don't think are around anymore like Lori

8 minutes ago, KHAN said:

Day to day means it's likely we don't need to flush the whole season. Yes, we felt we were destined to win the division, and the #1 seed. But at this point, we need to find the best path to make the playoffs, and be healthy and firing on all cylinders in January.

You don't punt on the division, or seeding. But it can't be the main priority with the current MASH unit we have right now. As for Josh, if he "can" play, he will play IMO.

I agree. Considering the injuries I'd settle for winning the division and maybe someone knocks out KC early.  We can't be obsessed with the #1 seed this season.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

A partial UCL tear will eventually heal on its own? 

Edit: I am wrong here. :bag:

I don think so. It will likely require surgery to fix. But isnt necessary to fix until the offseason.

Much like Thurman Thomas tearing his ACL 80% in college, but never wanting to take time off to repair it, so he played his ENTIRE pro career on a 20% ligament.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If you have watched this team the last 4 years, Allen is the run game. I hate it. I wanted balance even in the height of the high flying video game crazy points run. This style isn’t sustainable and you need balance. At this point, we can’t block it up, we don’t design runs properly, we don’t commit to it and we lack physicality at the point of attack. I hate it. I want a team that runs regularly. Certainly I can’t see a way for that to change now with LESS of a fear of a downfield passing game. Let’s use our head here

Don't be so fatalistic. If the blocking schemes are in the play book, they can certainly run a power blocking game. They don't currently run the power game because they don't want to, not because they can't. Of course, we also do not have Derrick Henry. There have already been times, albeit few where run blocking has been very good. I'll leave that up to Kromer to execute providing Dorsey asks him to scheme it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I don think so. It will likely require surgery to fix. But isnt necessary to fix until the offseason.

Much like Thurman Thomas tearing his ACL 80% in college, but never wanting to take time off to repair it, so he played his ENTIRE pro career on a 20% ligament.

False. knee ACL is within the joint so it tends never to heal on its own. 

Elbow Ucl is outside joint. All a partial tear is = strain. 

any full tear - in a professional throwing athlete gets shut down and is surgical. 

pitchers usually get a reconstruction bc of the even higher demand. A repair isn’t enough 

I’ll add . The most important piece of information was his 70 yard bomb . Ligament still attached and working . Just partially injured. Give you real world functional stress test

Edited by balln
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He didn't get surgery last time

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, balln said:

False. knee ACL is within the joint so it tends never to heal on its own. 

Elbow Ucl is outside joint. All a partial tear is = strain. 

any full tear - in a professional throwing athlete gets shut down and is surgical. 

pitchers usually get a reconstruction bc of the even higher demand. A repair isn’t enough 

Ah thanks for the detail :thumbsup:

Okay guys.  Josh Allen is playing Sunday.   If he wasn't McD would have said as much.  Docs are probably urging some caution, Josh is urging the desire to play and McD is stuck in the middle but I ultimately think Josh's sway wins and he is on the field Sunday.  

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They are definitely not going to tell us either way to keep the Vikings guessing. We won’t know until 11:45 Sunday I’m sure 

I don't think it's a big deal for Vikings. Prepare for Allen and better for them if he doesn't play. Keenum a big downgrade from Allen

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why does this still look like McDermott is about to pull his pants down to take a dump? No wonder everyone was expecting bad news.

Actually, from the way he smiled when he said he knew what the next question would be "my gut" tells me it's nowhere near as bad as he feared

• Haha (+1) 1

Look, it is almost certain he has a grade 1 sprain, which can include microtears.  If it was a grade 2 sprain, he would be out as he was in 2018.   

That being said, if he gets rest, he should be largely healed up in two weeks.  He should be good for sure for Detroit, unless something goes wrong.  You put him in without adequate rest, and he probably will have some trouble throwing, and could aggravate the injury.  So he can play, but should he?

Correct decision, IMO, is to let Keenum play the next two weeks, three if the recovery is slower.  I understand the #1 seed and all that, but the injury changes the calculus.  He needs to be healthy after Detroit.  If Keenum can go 1-1, or 2-1 with Detroit, everything will still be on the table.  Besides, given the last 6 quarters, giving Allen a little time to clear his head might not be a bad thing.  When he came back in 2018 after the UCL injury, he was a much better player.

Just my opinion... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This is the one game I have tickets for this year, so it will suck if Allen doesn't play, but Keenum should be fine.  I remember all the same handwringing when Kelly would go down because Frank Reich looked awful when entering a game.  Once he had time to work with the starters in practice, he looked so much better.  It's still going to be a challenge to beat the Vikings, especially with Keenum, but it's not going to be a repeat of the last week's Titans-Chiefs game.  But it does mean that the defense should have a chip on its shoulder.

It would be nice to rest Allen for a week and still win this game.  The key to winning without Allen playing is simple to lay out, but not easy to do.  

1.  The defense needs to play great football and get turnovers.  With all the injuries this is not a given.  Hopefully Milano, Poyer, Tre, and Rosseau are back.  If they are I will feel a lot better.  

2.  The OL must run block better than they typically do, especially when the other team knows you are running.

3.  Special teams have to consistently set up favorable field position and no negative plays.

The hardest for this team to achieve is most likely #2.   Allen makes this mediocre OL look better than it is.   Hoping Brown is back at RT so that Knox can get more targets.  

It will be a battle on Sunday.   

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I know it’s not a popular opinion but we need Josh for the long-haul we are literally only halfway through the season

If he can’t injury any worse play him

Given how much we throw if there is any chance that it would injure him further sit him

Maybe it forces the Bills to commit to the run a little more.

I am one of the few who actually thinks the Bills can run the ball if they actually do it more than a handful of times per game.

Running the ball well and going off play action might help this O get out of this mini funk.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.