Is anyone enjoying this season?

Ethan in Cleveland

It’s been enjoyable, yes. The disappointing part for me is while we all know the o-line needs some improving in the off season, I feel like they could have played well enough to get the job done and allow the team to advance a couple rounds in the playoffs or even help get us a chance to win out and win the division. Now that 3 of them are down with Covid I don’t feel like we’ll get that opportunity barring a Christmas miracle 🎅 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sports is supposed to be our escape from the real world. It is supposed to be entertainment.  I'm finding it hard to find any joy in this season.  I have never been so dispassionate about games since I started watching in 1979.  Even throughout the drought years I would excited for every game.  I enjoyed the KC game and my trip to the Meadowlands.  Even the Tenn game brought some emotion.  The rest - virtually none.  Either the Bills were playing a QB that should be sweeping streets or they were getting run all over.  Now COVID is more likely to decide who wins the division than the players and coaches on the field.  

I'm tired of arguing about McD and Edmunds and every post about the refs. The COVID posts are exhausting.  I have been dealing with COVID issues from testing, treatment, to supply chain for masks for 22 months.  Sports and in particular Buffalo sports teams is supposed to be our respite, win or lose they at least evoked emotion.  Now I can't seem to find any.  Maybe that will change if Josh Allen can will this team to victory this weekend.  

Anyone else feeling similar? 

It's because you live in PORTLAND.....   Get the H*ll out of there and you will like watching Bills games again! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sports is supposed to be our escape from the real world. It is supposed to be entertainment.  I'm finding it hard to find any joy in this season.  I have never been so dispassionate about games since I started watching in 1979.  Even throughout the drought years I would excited for every game.  I enjoyed the KC game and my trip to the Meadowlands.  Even the Tenn game brought some emotion.  The rest - virtually none.  Either the Bills were playing a QB that should be sweeping streets or they were getting run all over.  Now COVID is more likely to decide who wins the division than the players and coaches on the field.  

I'm tired of arguing about McD and Edmunds and every post about the refs. The COVID posts are exhausting.  I have been dealing with COVID issues from testing, treatment, to supply chain for masks for 22 months.  Sports and in particular Buffalo sports teams is supposed to be our respite, win or lose they at least evoked emotion.  Now I can't seem to find any.  Maybe that will change if Josh Allen can will this team to victory this weekend.  

I think there are a few things to unpack, here. 1) The Bills have been maddeningly inconsistent, which has been frustrating. They've certainly not met expectations... I'm feeling that 2) COVID has sucked the fun out of everything for going on 2 years, and now it's clearly m*********ing the NFL season (a season that may end up eating a year of the Bills window), in addition to all of everyone's other favorite pastimes... I'm with you on that, too 3) The commentary on the board content... that's not new, and I think #1 and #2 are making #3 more noticeable.

As far as the lack of emotion, I'm not sure what you do, but your reference to testing, treatment, and supply chain issues in your post is curious and can lead one to some inferences. Hopefully there are other things in life that bring you respite and joy, especially during the holiday season, especially during these trying times. Take care of yourself. Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

Love the fact leagues are playing. From basketball, hockey to football. I am enjoying the heck out of this season. Especially watching the Bills play. 

Maybe the difference for me is I was able to watch Kyle Murray throw that Hail Mary to Hopkins and say " that was a damn good game". 

If I actually had a say in how we play, maybe it would be different. Since I don't, just kick back and enjoy.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Love the fact leagues are playing. From basketball, hockey to football. I am enjoying the heck out of this season. Especially watching the Bills play. 

Maybe the difference for me is I was able to watch Kyle Murray throw that Hail Mary to Hopkins and say " that was a damn good game". 

If I actually had a say in how we play, maybe it would be different. Since I don't, just kick back and enjoy.

That is an excellent example. I enjoyed the AZ game because both teams made plays and even in a loss the game brought joy.

This year there is no joy beating WFT or NYJ and the other no talent QBs. It's more just a feeling of relief they didn't lose like. It feels like this year the Bills are losing games instead of the other team winning the game. Sounds stupid but it is a different feeling when you lose a game because JA slips versus Hopkins making an all-time NFL history play to beat you.

• Like (+1) 2

I watch every second of all Bills games but as the season moves on I've started watching less of the other games. I used to watch Sun, Mon and Thurs night games til the final whistle. Now if I watch them at all I'm usually turning it off before the half.  When the Bills had prime time games I often passed on the Sunday day games.

The awful state of officiating in the games, my questioning of the integrity of the league and the growing annoyance with the commentators in the booth has curbed my enthusiasm somewhat as well.

I'll watch every snap Sunday with my Bills garb on, hopefully yelling very little at the TV and the clouds... GO BILLS !!!

• Like (+1) 2

Tough was loving this team from 2000 to 2016.

Sure there have been ups and downs this year but they still have a winning record.

Fans can sometimes have unreasonable expectations.

Me I am enjoying it and the 3 game sweep to end the season will pave the way to playoff gold ;) (or a big shiny silver trophy)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I haven’t been enjoying this season. It’s more on me but I’ve been pretty disappointed

several time this year.  It’s been super nerve wracking in big games and many time the Bills have disappointed us again.  

The Bills are still better, probably the second best, since they’ve been since 1999.

After 20 years and my whole adult life dealing with the drought, despite all the issues and unmet expectations, we have a lot of things to be thankful for.

I enjoy every game, win or loss. Even if I want to pul my hair out, it’s a matter of hours until I’m onto the next game and looking forward to hearing the news. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Throw in the social justice commentary and you’re right. There’s no escaping this mess of a world. 

3 hours ago, transient said:

I think there are a few things to unpack, here. 1) The Bills have been maddeningly inconsistent, which has been frustrating. They've certainly not met expectations... I'm feeling that 2) COVID has sucked the fun out of everything for going on 2 years, and now it's clearly m*********ing the NFL season (a season that may end up eating a year of the Bills window), in addition to all of everyone's other favorite pastimes... I'm with you on that, too 3) The commentary on the board content... that's not new, and I think #1 and #2 are making #3 more noticeable.

As far as the lack of emotion, I'm not sure what you do, but your reference to testing, treatment, and supply chain issues in your post is curious and can lead one to some inferences. Hopefully there are other things in life that bring you respite and joy, especially during the holiday season, especially during these trying times. Take care of yourself. Cheers!

I'm a cardiologist but also a CMO.  I'm infamously not a podiatrist nor an orthopedist...lol

I've been part of our incident command for COVID for nearly two years now.

2 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I was until the Jacksonville game.   I've been watching every game since, but I honestly am not into this team...  there's just something about this team that is giving me a bad vibe.    

I get what you're saying. The team felt like they were working as one last year whereas this everything seems off kilter; as if there is some tension and issues somewhere which is seeping onto the field. But am I feeling that simply because we're 8-6 off the back of one of the easiest schedules on paper? And, if so, the blocked punt against the Steelers, Josh's slip versus the Titans, the bogus calls when facing the Bucs, the opportunities at home to the Pats, and whatever happened in the game against the Jags... we could feasibly 13-1. Saying that, good signs know how to win tight games more often than not and we have failed time and time again this season. Is it just bad luck or something more deep-rooted? So much hope went into this season and now it feels, somewhat over-dramatically, like we're on a precipice. Will we fall?

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good point. Liberal or conservative just tired of it being brought up as an excuse or an issue with everything in life

I want to watch sports and not have to think about REALITY. Kneeling, names on helmets, the tv commercials about racism all remind you of the crap going on in the world. 

I'm enjoying the fact that we have football. As I get older, I find it harder to justify four hours of sitting on my ass unless I'm socializing with someone. 

As for the Bills, it feels like they've regressed but the last few games may change that perception.

I think the NFL's decision to add a game is not only disastrous but it comes at the worst possible time in a pandemic. Did the number of players on a roster increase with the added game and endless injuries and Covid infections? 

I am beginning to believe that the league office and team owners are deeply corrupt and so sick with greed that they are no longer functioning human beings. The fallout from the Rams lawsuit bears watching. If the other owners don't share in paying the lawsuit the Rams owner Stan Kroenke has said openly he'll sue the league and the other owners. 

I am also deeply suspicious of Jerry Jones' involvement in our stadium deal. Every other stadium deal he was involved in resulted in the team relocating.

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

I want to watch sports and not have to think about REALITY. Kneeling, names on helmets, the tv commercials about racism all remind you of the crap going on in the world. 

These are all easy fixes though-kneeling…honestly when was the last time you even saw anyone kneeling?? I’m confused on the names on helmets thing. Change the channel when a commercial comes on you don’t want to see

Yes 100%.  That is the nature and beauty of football and the team we have.   Is it a perfect team - not..  are they a good team - yes.  They give us hope every Sunday they set the foot on the field and  I am glued to the TV for the next 3 1/2 hours....

Did the ball bounce our way this season...No.  We are 0-5 in games where we had the ball at the end to finish the game and came away empty;  But they kept us in it...

Other than the Colts game, our team has given us exciting football and moments during the game.   I will always enjoy and savor it

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I get what you're saying. The team felt like they were working as one last year whereas this everything seems off kilter; as if there is some tension and issues somewhere which is seeping onto the field. But am I feeling that simply because we're 8-6 off the back of one of the easiest schedules on paper? And, if so, the blocked punt against the Steelers, Josh's slip versus the Titans, the bogus calls when facing the Bucs, the opportunities at home to the Pats, and whatever happened in the game against the Jags... we could feasibly 13-1. Saying that, good signs know how to win tight games more often than not and we have failed time and time again this season. Is it just bad luck or something more deep-rooted? So much hope went into this season and now it feels, somewhat over-dramatically, like we're on a precipice. Will we fall?

Yet we are on the cusp of winning the AFC East or not making the playoffs !!!!   What a great game.

I didn't think they would be 8-6 (headed for 8-7, most likely) in a year most of us thought they'd be SB contenders. With the exception of KC, they haven't beaten a good team. Only wins have been by double digits, and have lost all the close games (failing to ever come back at the end, despite chances). Most of the wins have come against backup QB's.  Since Week 5, they are a sub-500 team (4-5).

Now with the Covid resurgence, an OL that has struggled all year is missing two starters, and others playing out of position. They couldn't handle NE when they were much healthier. And that top-rated defense gets lit up regularly against strong running teams.

It has indeed been frustrating, and should effectively come to an end this week. I don't remember Buffalo ever winning a game like this (post-SB), with everything on the line (under better circumstances). Remember the Willie Parker game? May end up a lost year, but areas that need fixing are obvious.

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sorry to hear about your Covid issues, hope they improve for you.  

This is the most frustrating Bills team ever, IMO.  A ton of talent and/or high draft picks and inconsistent performance leading to 1 win again a team with a winning record and a lot of excuses.  Arguably the most underperforming team I’ve seen.  That said they still have the ability to turn it around and I hope they do.  That would bring the good emotions back!!  

• Agree 1

Never understood why people spend hours of their lives doing things they dont enjoy.  Part of the enjoyment is riding the wave, talking about the games, win or lose.   Personally I just love football.

If you arent having fun, or youre watching  out of some weird self induced obligation, just turn off the TV.  You only get one shot.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Yes 100%. 

Admittedly the regular season isn't going as well as I expected. But I found enough enjoyment to keep watching through the drought years and I still give this team a punchers chance to make a run at the SB.  

Yep, I’m enjoying the season. Not as much as I had hoped for due to our results and the COVID uncertainty, but I’m still enjoying it and looking forward to every game. We have only lost badly once all year. There were complaints about blowout losses in recent years, but that is not the case now. We were a few plays away from a MUCH better record, and the tone would be different with a few breaks. 

These are strange times, and the lows seem a little lower, while the highs are a little less high. We need to adapt, because that’s the situation we are in.  We have a very good team with a bright future. I still believe and have high hopes long term without just focusing on the last loss. 

But COVID still SUCKS! 

Honestly, no.  I've hated this season for a variety of reasons.

6 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Watching the Bills this season has been like when I visit prostitutes. I look forward to it before it happens, full of guilt and regret when it's over

Well, at least that's better than the prostitute's experience, who, along with being filled with regret afterwards, also dread it before it happens.

• Haha (+1) 1

"Where else would rather be, than right here, right now?"  If you didn't enjoy that laser to Gabe in the back of the end zone, Motor sweeping into the EZ from 20 yards out, the comeback against the Cheataneers which was stolen from us, beating the Fish twice, beating the Chefs, then I got nothing for ya.  Sure, we've had bad breaks, and Covid sucks donkey balls, but we control our own destiny in Week 16!!  It wasn't that long ago that we were out of it by Week 8-10.  Don't let the recent success spoil you, enjoy every bit of this season.  Because we're in it, and we're going to win it.  

"I'm a big believer in fate. I have a good feeling about this." - Ben Crenshaw, just before the US Ryder Cup team overcame a 10-6 deficit with 8.5 points on Sunday, to take the 1999 Ryder Cup 14.5-13.5.  The Cheats are the Europeans, and we're going to steamroll them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.