Is anyone enjoying this season?

Ethan in Cleveland

The stress of this season starts with the high expectations fans and media placed on the team. Then add the unexpected regression of the O line starting with Dawkins COVID experience and seemingly long term impacts. Them add the roll of the dice every week for who cant play due to COVID and it all results in no consistency for this team. Which leads to frustration.

The ultimate goal is still possible. Josh is still amazing to watch so I’m just going to enjoy the ride while it lasts. 

Sports in general have become oversaturated, overhyped, and overly dramatized. I've said this for a while, but if Buffalo hadn't gotten good I would have pulled the cord on sports in general. 

I find that sports as a whole used to be an escape from the 'crap' life flings at you but now it is just another angle 'crap' comes from.

In the grand scheme of things who cares who won Super Bowl ----, it will be forgotten in a few years and everyone will be on to the next one. 

I seriously doubt I'll be watching the Bills 3 years from now but for now I'll continue watch and follow and also to provide my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Yep, I’m enjoying the season. Not as much as I had hoped for due to our results and the COVID uncertainty, but I’m still enjoying it and looking forward to every game. We have only lost badly once all year. There were complaints about blowout losses in recent years, but that is not the case now. We were a few plays away from a MUCH better record, and the tone would be different with a few breaks. 

These are strange times, and the lows seem a little lower, while the highs are a little less high. We need to adapt, because that’s the situation we are in.  We have a very good team with a bright future. I still believe and have high hopes long term without just focusing on the last loss. 

But COVID still SUCKS! 

Good point about the lows and highs - I think it's cuz the expectations are high. Good times.

• Agree 1

im loving this season considering we are 3 plays away from leading the conference.  Tenn, Pats amd Tampa came down to us knocking at the end zone for the win.  We lost em all but we're still fun to watch, still in the playoff hunt, still averaging like 30 a game and we can beat anyone in the league on any given day.

Dont let the negative crap get you down dude.  Sports are here to be enjoyed and the NFL is atop that list. we have an elite qb for the next dozen years, some seasons we will win a ton of games (15 wins last year) and some we we wont but either way we will always be in the hunt.

lets roll sunday baby!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

All I know is it's sports, yeah the last month or so has been bad, real bad. Though when you are a talented team as the Bills are, all you have to do is slip into the playoffs and anything can happen.

I'm still thinking this season has alot of life left, and all the pro bowl snubs are going to make some guys light a fire.

12 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sports is supposed to be our escape from the real world. It is supposed to be entertainment.  I'm finding it hard to find any joy in this season.  I have never been so dispassionate about games since I started watching in 1979.  Even throughout the drought years I would excited for every game.  I enjoyed the KC game and my trip to the Meadowlands.  Even the Tenn game brought some emotion.  The rest - virtually none.  Either the Bills were playing a QB that should be sweeping streets or they were getting run all over.  Now COVID is more likely to decide who wins the division than the players and coaches on the field.  

I'm tired of arguing about McD and Edmunds and every post about the refs. The COVID posts are exhausting.  I have been dealing with COVID issues from testing, treatment, to supply chain for masks for 22 months.  Sports and in particular Buffalo sports teams is supposed to be our respite, win or lose they at least evoked emotion.  Now I can't seem to find any.  Maybe that will change if Josh Allen can will this team to victory this weekend.  

Anyone else feeling similar? 

We’re just not as good this year as we were in 2020.

This year it’s been a lot of excuses about how only this team has the personnel to do that to us, or how we have to bust out the Dick Jauron look at ourselves in the mirror talk.

Our Coach isn’t as good this season, our OC isn’t as good this season, our line showed their weakness first game of the season, Josh has been rattled at times, all this talk about no running game, the constant shuffling of the OLine, Beasley declining, our overpaid Defensive Line is barely there. 

I just think the fans know this team doesn’t have a high-gear. And you’re now 3 games left trying to turn it on. 

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Sports in general have become oversaturated, overhyped, and overly dramatized. I've said this for a while, but if Buffalo hadn't gotten good I would have pulled the cord on sports in general. 

I find that sports as a whole used to be an escape from the 'crap' life flings at you but now it is just another angle 'crap' comes from.

In the grand scheme of things who cares who won Super Bowl ----, it will be forgotten in a few years and everyone will be on to the next one. 

I seriously doubt I'll be watching the Bills 3 years from now but for now I'll continue watch and follow and also to provide my 2 cents.

Well the NFL is a 3+ hours of commercials we know that.

As you’re watching one game, they’re hyping the next games later that day.

When you watch F1 it’s a two hour race, no commercials and you’re done. 

NFL is old ex-athlete telling you how important it is to play physical and get momentum, and overrating how good his teams were back in the day. That’s why I watch 0% pregame, every game including Playoffs and Super Bowl.

I don’t turn the game on until the opening kick off because the rest is just hype, mute the commercials and work around the house. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

LOL, I always predicted Buffalo would win a Superbowl AFTER struggling thru most of the season, Most people are expecting a perfect season then cap it off with a SB Trophy . Not me, it will sneak up on you when you least expect it...Just remember I told you so...Its the hot team in the PLAYOFFS THAT WINS IT ALL !

Yes, I am enjoying the season :D

Ho-Ho-Ho

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 2

Thanks for this topic, OP.

Something happened to me this season that never happened before. In the 4th quarter and overtime of the Bucs game, I felt numb. Normally, a great comeback to tie up a game against the Super Bowl champs and the winningest QB of all time, would have me jumping up and down, pumping my fists, yelling and generally super pumped up and simultaneously nervous as hell.

Instead, I just watched, kind of waiting for us to lose. It was like the Steeler, Titans, Jags, and Pats games had left me unable to care that much, because I couldn't expose myself to another heartbreak. Hence, numbness. I never felt that before. 

This has been a tough season. After KC I thought Buffalo would be the 1 or 2 seed in the AFC, no problem. But not once since KC did it feel like they were doing better than expected. (Last season, I felt that way in at least 8-10 games.) Feels like this year there hasn't been one happy surprise, only heartbreaking futility or beatdowns of bad teams. And the team hasn't felt as close to each other or the coaches. 

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

given all the COVID impact not too excited about rematch tomorrow.  I will watch maybe I can get sucked back in to not expecting disaster.

Look at the Friday injury report for the Patriots.  Not all is lost.  Sanders is going to be back and McKenzie will get a bigger role and he could disguise the slot duties with Diggs.  May be even Stevenson will get a shot.

PATRIOTS

OUT: RB Rhamondre Stevenson (illness), WR Nelson Agholor (concussion), S Joshuah Bledsoe (calf)

QUESTIONABLE: RB Brandon Bolden (knee), RB Damien Harris (hamstring), WR N'Keal Harry (hip), C David Andrews (shoulder), DT Christian Barmore (knee), LB Ja'Whaun Bentley (ribs/ankle), S Adrian Phillips (knee), K Nick Folk (left knee)

I'm disappointed in how the season has gone so far, and I'm not optimistic about the team turning it around.

But I'm still enjoying it.  This team has an extremely bright future, and if "making the playoffs as a wildcard" is what now constitutes a "down year," that's quite an improvement from where we were not that long ago.

As others have said, and I have said many times, the enjoyment we get out of sports is primarily tied to our expectations, for many of us.

2 things give us enjoyment in sports. 1.) winning the championship.   2.) exceeding expectations.

Do one of those 2 things, overall the season will be good.  Fail to do either of those, it will not be fun for many.

The problem with having 'championship or bust' expectations is....it assures many that overall the season will be more frustration than fun.

• Like (+1) 2

I’d agree that this has been a tough season to be excited about, so far.  

We’ve had a handful of tough opponents, and everyone else (Jax aside) we’ve been expected to destroy, and have.  I guess that’s part of what it feels like to be a good team.  

Then throw in two high profile games where we lost on a self inflicted wound (Ten) and a horrible non-call (TB).   

It’s just felt frustrating, tedious and/or boring.   This Pats game is needed in the worst way. 

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Sports is supposed to be our escape from the real world. It is supposed to be entertainment.  I'm finding it hard to find any joy in this season.  I have never been so dispassionate about games since I started watching in 1979.  Even throughout the drought years I would excited for every game.  I enjoyed the KC game and my trip to the Meadowlands.  Even the Tenn game brought some emotion.  The rest - virtually none.  Either the Bills were playing a QB that should be sweeping streets or they were getting run all over.  Now COVID is more likely to decide who wins the division than the players and coaches on the field.  

I'm tired of arguing about McD and Edmunds and every post about the refs. The COVID posts are exhausting.  I have been dealing with COVID issues from testing, treatment, to supply chain for masks for 22 months.  Sports and in particular Buffalo sports teams is supposed to be our respite, win or lose they at least evoked emotion.  Now I can't seem to find any.  Maybe that will change if Josh Allen can will this team to victory this weekend.  

Anyone else feeling similar? 

For me the high point was the win over KC.  Since then I have believed in this team less and less.  I’ve certainly had moments in the close games where I though they would or could win, but that hasn’t happened yet.  A win tomorrow would certainly help.  So would seeing some better decision making and some better play - especially in crunch time.  Still, some of the flaws that I thought could hurt this team have definitely done so and there is only so much to do about them during the season.  I’d love to see the team find a way to adjust and have some sustained success through the playoffs, but idk how realistic that is. 

• Like (+1) 3

Covid hasn’t made this season any less enjoyable for me. We knew this issue before the season, and guys always miss football games. It’s not ideal, and more guys are missing games than a typical season, but you always have to find ways to win when guys are out. This season is no different. If anything has taken away some enjoyment, it’s been seeing some of our flaws. We can take this division, but anything less would be disappointing when we’re easily the most talented team in the division with the best QB. 

I think the word for this season is disappointing.  Disappointed in the lack of consistency of the Bills this year.  Disappointed that the Bills aren't as "together" this year.  Just as coaches can draw up game plans...but it's up to the players to execute those game plans, so it is with the team's plans to navigate the season in the wake of covid.  Ultimately, it's up to the players.   McD and Beane don't have control of the decisions of those players.  So, it's disappointing.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:05 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Sports is supposed to be our escape from the real world. It is supposed to be entertainment.  I'm finding it hard to find any joy in this season.  

To answer your question.  Yes I am enjoying the season.  This season is 1,000 times better than years like 2006

or 2013 where you knew they were over matched by good teams and had almost no chance to make the playoffs. I have  been to 4 games and only saw them lose once in person at TB.  This  Bills team and coaching staff is filled w good and likable guys who are easy to root for. 

As likable as they are I don’t think it is a super talented team.  IMO the sum is greater than the the parts for the Bills of recent years.  It is frustrating when they make mental errors of fail to execute bc they don’t have enough playmakers on defense or offense to overcome those mistakes 

Your frustration really comes through as one of the most negative posters this season.   It seems that you have an irrational expectation of the coaching staff based on the talent level of this team.  

Enjoy for what it is, and they might surprise us with another deep playoff run

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Reading through this thread I'm surprised how many people don't like McD and Beane, lol.

I'm sure tons of people felt like this about Marv and Polian too. Just hilarious.

I was just as much of a Bills fan back in the SB era...I was never a huge fan of Marv Levy, but was a big fan of Bill Polian, and guys like John Butler.  The team builders.

Levy was never a top-tier coach and we have zero SB victories which support that assertion.

McDermott is similar, though not as good as Marv.

Tomorrow's game will be a huge chapter in his Bills story.  I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Whenever the Bills are losing, I never have confidence they will come back- and that’s a crappy feeling to have about your team- especially when they are supposed to be considered a contender...

They have the talent, but they’re just not disciplined enough in their execution...The word I would use is ”discouraging”...

BTW, last season I felt completely opposite...I thought they could come back against anyone, at any time...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I was just as much of a Bills fan back in the SB era...I was never a huge fan of Marv Levy, but was a big fan of Bill Polian, and guys like John Butler.  The team builders.

Levy was never a top-tier coach and we have zero SB victories which support that assertion.

McDermott is similar, though not as good as Marv.

Tomorrow's game will be a huge chapter in his Bills story.  I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Blech.... I don't take pride in other people's accomplishments. I just want to watch good football. Playoff football. I see it more often than not with this team. It's a team and culture to finally be proud of. McD and Beane (and Pegula) did that.

38 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Blech.... I don't take pride in other people's accomplishments. I just want to watch good football. Playoff football. I see it more often than not with this team. It's a team and culture to finally be proud of. McD and Beane (and Pegula) did that.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but OK.  Enjoy the game!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.