Jacksonville is historically bad...

eball

I guess I didn't realize the Jags are currently on an 18-game losing streak, which is 3rd all-time since the AFL/NFL merger.  Should they lose to Cinci Thursday night they will match the 2nd longest such streak, matching the Detroit Lions' run of ineptitude that bracketed their 0-16 campaign.

The all-time worst?  Tampa Bay, who lost the first 26 games of their existence.

Looking ahead...if Jacksonville doesn't end their streak before then, they will carry a 22-game skid into the 11/7 matchup with Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I guess I didn't realize the Jags are currently on an 18-game losing streak, which is 3rd all-time since the AFL/NFL merger.  Should they lose to Cinci Thursday night they will match the 2nd longest such streak, matching the Detroit Lions' run of ineptitude that bracketed their 0-16 campaign.

Looking ahead...if Jacksonville doesn't end their streak before then, they will carry a 22-game skid into the 11/7 matchup with Buffalo.

On any given Sunday I guess. But it doesn't look too hot. Urban Meyer is an easy guy to root against. 

Jags Remaining Schedule: 

@Bengals 

Titans 

Dolphins 

bye

@Seahawks 

Bills 

@Colts

49ers 

Falcons 

@Rams 

@Titans

Texans

@Jets

@Patriots

Colts

Best shot of ending the skid are @ Bengals, Dolphins, @ Colts, or Falcons. But I don't feel hugely confident. If they get to Buffalo, I am guessing they at least tie the record. 

4 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

As John McKay would say when asked, "What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” To which he replied, “I’m in favor of it.”

One of my favorite football soundbites of all time...

Just now, Greg S said:

Urban Meyer must be missing his Ohio State days. I wonder how long he will last in the NFL.

He already said the NFL is like playing Alabama every week.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, and as bad as the Jags are, the Jets are right with them because they can't score at all. 

They've score 20 points in 3 games. 

So here is the wild thing with the Jags and how bad the Lions have been by comparison and why no team even nears how bad the Lions are. Even though the Jaguars have been absolutely awful for the last decade plus, they have the same number of conference title game appearances and one more playoff win then Lions in the last decade then the Lions since the SB 1. The Jags are bad but odds are at some point they will put it together in some capacity. What truly is wild with Detroit is just how abysmal and awful they have been where they literally have expansion teams that have sucked with success winning and doing more.

Edited by corta765

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

On any given Sunday I guess. But it doesn't look too hot. Urban Meyer is an easy guy to root against. 

Jags Remaining Schedule: 

@Bengals 

Titans 

Dolphins 

bye

@Seahawks 

Bills 

@Colts

49ers 

Falcons 

@Rams 

@Titans

Texans

@Jets

@Patriots

Colts

Best shot of ending the skid are @ Bengals, Dolphins, @ Colts, or Falcons. But I don't feel hugely confident. If they get to Buffalo, I am guessing they at least tie the record. 

The Texans are no slouch for stinking.

(In my head I heard “don’t jinx us”) I can’t wait to be rid of the pessimism when it comes to Bills success 

18 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

As John McKay would say when asked, "What do you think of your team’s execution coach?” To which he replied, “I’m in favor of it.”

Lmao! I remember watching that... Notre Dames coach caused a minor uproar when he tried to use the same humor in an interview but everyone freaked out of what he said...

He then had to clue people in on the joke 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

The Texans are no slouch for stinking.

(In my head I heard “don’t jinx us”) I can’t wait to be rid of the pessimism when it comes to Bills success 

If they beat the Texans they are already at 28 losses. They would just be breaking their own record at that point. 

I know I listed 4 teams they "could" beat. But really I think it is probably just @Bengals coming off of a big Pittsburgh win and/or the Falcons. But I wouldn't bet my mortgage on either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

John McKay was one of the funniest people ever, let alone funniest head coach. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Lmao! I remember watching that... Notre Dames coach caused a minor uproar when he tried to use the same humor in an interview but everyone freaked out of what he said...

He then had to clue people in on the joke 

I'm not a ND or Brian Kelly fan, but the media's take on that was bad.  It was clearly a joke and a reference back to McKay's comments.  And I'm even less of an Urban Meyer fan, so I can't think of anyone more deserving than him of the current situation in Jacksonville.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

Sigh of relief,  thought you were going to say the Jax game would tie or break the record as was afraid that would likely mean a win for Jax. 

Seems like streaks often end one game short

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

A great quote...I also remember the great t-shirt that some fans printed up during the second season.  It said "Go for )" with a picture of a sinking pirate ship.  Well, look at that....It's amazing what one can find on the interweb:  Tampa Tee

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah, and as bad as the Jags are, the Jets are right with them because they can't score at all. 

They've score 20 points in 3 games. 

Jags are no where near as bad as the Jets. Jags are bad but the Jets are Vomit in your Mouth, Mother in Law coming to live with You, Lost your Job and Its your Baby kinda bad.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They made this tweet after winning last year's opener. They havent won a game SINCE.

Well to be fair - they weren’t satisfied until they went 1-15.

I can’t imagine winning game #1 against a playoff team and then dumping the next 15 - what a joke.

The worst thing is looking at their schedule they might only be the 3rd or 4th worse team on that schedule by the end.  They have the Texans again, the Falcons, and the Jets.  

That should be an amazing Christmas game - Jets/Jags for the #1 pick - the winner gets 💩 under 🎄.

• Haha (+1) 2

The entire AFC South is irrelevant...especially Jacksonville, which is only Gainesville with a skyline.  The NFL should not be there.

They would be better off in St. Louis but I'm not sure they would want them, having been spurned twice by awful ownership.

18 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

That should be an amazing Christmas game - Jets/Jags for the #1 pick - the winner gets 💩 under 🎄.

And technically neither team needs a QB as they each drafted them so I guess your drafted for that DE from Oregon

Tampa Bay Buccaneers lost their first 26 straight games.

0-14 and then 0-12 before their first win.

EDIT:  knew about tampa from memory, but the Chicago Cardinals (whaddya know we were just talking about them in the other thread) lost 29 straight games from '42-'45.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 hours ago, eball said:

I'm amazed the Browns losing streak wasn't longer. 

They went 1-15 in 2016 and 0-16 in 2017. That 1 win separated a 14 and a 17 game losing streak. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

And technically neither team needs a QB as they each drafted them so I guess your drafted for that DE from Oregon

Really good point.  Is there a consensus #1 QB out there?  I am not aware of one.   If not a trade down might not be feasible and they stand pat and take the kid from Oregon

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

A great quote...I also remember the great t-shirt that some fans printed up during the second season.  It said "Go for )" with a picture of a sinking pirate ship.  Well, look at that....It's amazing what one can find on the interweb:  Tampa Tee

My brother was 10 when the Bucs were founded and he has been a fan since day one. He never flinched over all those terrible years. I lovingly gave him crap for a long time. Now his team has two Lombardis. I lost the high ground.

Oh, of course I did send him a copy of that T-shirt anyway.

Edited by Coastie