Bills sign Brandon Beane to contract extension!!!

Logic

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

You sure covered every possible reason that he is not perfect.  

The point differential argument is not relevant.   They made it based on well established playoff guidelines and deserve credit. 

$50M for Star was too much, but we have missed him this year for sure.  He is a player that does not make the stat sheet but makes everyone else better. 

Metcalf - 8 wr’s were drafted ahead of Metcalf.  All the GMs missed on him, even the guy who drafted him waited until his 3rd selection ( his 2nd pick in R2j.  I have not seen seen a reason to love Ford either but will give him time.  

Wood/Glenn/Incognito were all good but the right side was not and the depth was 0.   Glenn could not stay healthy and was known to be lazy.  Ritchie is his own story and he was mentally breaking down (Jags playoff game).  Wood was unfortunate with his injury.  They kept him for his play and leadership.  Not a bad move but it backfired.  

I don’t think they have reached their peak at all.  Most all of the drafted players have more upside.  We are still in good shape relative to cap with many easy contract to that can be shedded if necessary.  

Beane has done a fine job, not perfect, but he sits at the helm of a team on the rise and deserves the contract.  

I just tell it like it is.  

And yes he is the GM of a good team and have zero problem with the contract.   People act like it's a lifetime contract it's the same thing a new hire would get.   He and McD are basically just re-upped.    I don't think anyone could argue that they don't deserve another 4-5 years of pay security.

I know the more sensitive people get hurt when I point out that they have been so bad against NE and 0-2 with a blown 16 point lead in the playoffs but it's the truth.

Many more bridges to cross as Marv would say.

I have a fair amount of confidence in McD and BB.........I have a TON of confidence in Josh Allen............ultimately they will go as far as JA takes them.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Oh hell they "got lucky" right out of the gate............they made the playoffs in 2017 with the worst point differential of any playoff team in 30 years!...........that is the very definition of a statistical outlier........ie 'lucky".

2) As far as getting to Allen..........it actually was a pretty clear path.   It was your army fighting it's way to the the capital city and finding it abandoned and undefended kinda' easy.  They had traded away a bunch of assets starting in 2017 to accumulate picks with the thought process that they were going to need a ton of picks to move up for a QB in 2018.  As it turned out there was very little competition to get there.   Teams were not willing to pay much to move up for the likes of Allen, Rosen or Jackson.   Beane didn't even have to use the 2018 first round pick that they acquired in the Mahomes pick swap!  What they really did exceptionally well was to take the QB with the highest ceiling.    Better to swing and miss on a guy like Mahomes, Watson or Allen than someone with physical limitations to overcome like size or arm strength.   That's not to be undersold........it used to be that you took the lower ceiling guy if they seemed more game ready.   The 2018 Bills didn't fall into that trap they made the right decision on the most important decision this regime will probably ever make.

3) Beane has had a few big misses($50M for Star.....Ford/Metcalf being some very costly ones)........but he has had A LOT of medium and small face-plants which is why they are up against the cap already and haven't had to pay their QB.   Things like cutting Quinton Spain right after you just signed him?  There's been a lot of quickly wasted dollars as Beane has tried to throw enough options at the wall to hopefully get some that stick. 

4) BB's WR judgment was maligned for a reason........his first two WR corps were among the very worst in the NFL and Bills team history.......seriously check out the WR corps from the Bills 2-14 teams versus Beane's choices.    And meanwhile the former Bills WR's McBeane passed on were making noise on the field elsewhere.   He totally whiffed on AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin in favor of Cody Ford in the 2018 draft and subsequently they now have a WR corps that is fronted by 3 free agents eating up over $30M in cap space and no TE's.    That's not genius that's paying the market rate in free agency and trade to correct mistakes.   Hopefully Gabe Davis is the start of Beane drafting good WR's.

5) Beane absolutely did not inherit one of the worst OL in league history..........he inherited an excellent group..........they had literally lead the NFL in rushing for the previous two seasons!   Wood, Incognito, Glenn........excellent players.   Unfortunately they hired an OC with an inflexible plan and then Beane foolishly extended the 31 year old Wood(who was going nowhere) a season ahead of his free agency in an attempt to get him to help pimp the process for McD.    That ended up costing them a lot of cap space when Wood retired after the season.   And then they strangely nickeled and dimed Incognito for some reason and he quit.   Glenn was traded and he then signed some bad OL to replace all of those guys.  He CREATED a horrendous OL for 2018.  He's done an excellent job since but this is another example of his totally botching his first crack at something.

6) They literally pay more for DL talent than any team in the entire league so excellence is expected.......and they are getting that excellent play of late.    I haven't been as critical of the 2020 DL as many.   As an advocate for them sticking with more athletic DT's than continuing to throw good money at bad like they did with Star..........it's just another instance where I'm looking mighty right.

7) Bottom line is that they are at a point now where they SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.........cheap QB.......they've spent basically all of their painfully accumulated wad of cap space in free agency..........haven't *had* to make any money choices on any of their own draft picks yet in free agency(they signed Tre and Dawkins early).........and they've managed to assemble a very good roster........but it's not an overwhelming array of talent(and it could have been with less basic mistakes like drafting to patch holes in the 2018 draft etc.).  

After this season they need to start getting A LOT more efficient with personnel decisions..........and since they have winning and a franchise QB on their side they should be able to bargain shop a lot more efficiently than in the past. 

Courtesy of luck and actually having the balls to be the guys that took the quarterback they have bought themselves a bunch of time to learn from mistakes.    I understand that my blunt assessment seems critical but the reality is that most GM's are hit and miss and it's like a DREAM COME TRUE to have these things fall into place despite that.   They've actually crossed many of the barriers to success with little resistance.  

But where the rubber meets the road is beating Belichick and winning in the playoffs(and a SB).   They are 1-8 in their first 9 high leverage opportunities so far........but they have the QB to turn that around. 

You never disappoint.  This is epic.  Thank you

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Before this season started, I had five wishes:

1. Extend Tre'Davious White
2. Extend Dion Dawkins

3. Extend McDermott and Beane. 

4. Josh Allen proves to be a franchise QB
5. Bills win the division

So far, we have a big check mark next to four out of five. Only one left to go! 

You might want to start adding to your (this year's) wish list!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Well deserved. It's hard to know what's more exciting, our present or our future. 

Yup.  Knowing the team is staying in Buffalo for at least my lifetime is nice.  And if Josh can play for another 10-15 years...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  Knowing the team is staying in Buffalo for at least my lifetime is nice.  And if Josh can play for another 10-15 years...

Josh, McD, and Beane are all young. All three might be here for 10-15 years. 😃

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Oh hell they "got lucky" right out of the gate............they made the playoffs in 2017 with the worst point differential of any playoff team in 30 years!...........that is the very definition of a statistical outlier........ie 'lucky".

2) As far as getting to Allen..........it actually was a pretty clear path.   It was your army fighting it's way to the the capital city and finding it abandoned and undefended kinda' easy.  They had traded away a bunch of assets starting in 2017 to accumulate picks with the thought process that they were going to need a ton of picks to move up for a QB in 2018.  As it turned out there was very little competition to get there.   Teams were not willing to pay much to move up for the likes of Allen, Rosen or Jackson.   Beane didn't even have to use the 2018 first round pick that they acquired in the Mahomes pick swap!  What they really did exceptionally well was to take the QB with the highest ceiling.    Better to swing and miss on a guy like Mahomes, Watson or Allen than someone with physical limitations to overcome like size or arm strength.   That's not to be undersold........it used to be that you took the lower ceiling guy if they seemed more game ready.   The 2018 Bills didn't fall into that trap they made the right decision on the most important decision this regime will probably ever make.

3) Beane has had a few big misses($50M for Star.....Ford/Metcalf being some very costly ones)........but he has had A LOT of medium and small face-plants which is why they are up against the cap already and haven't had to pay their QB.   Things like cutting Quinton Spain right after you just signed him?  There's been a lot of quickly wasted dollars as Beane has tried to throw enough options at the wall to hopefully get some that stick. 

4) BB's WR judgment was maligned for a reason........his first two WR corps were among the very worst in the NFL and Bills team history.......seriously check out the WR corps from the Bills 2-14 teams versus Beane's choices.    And meanwhile the former Bills WR's McBeane passed on were making noise on the field elsewhere.   He totally whiffed on AJ Brown, DK Metcalf and Terry McLaurin in favor of Cody Ford in the 2018 draft and subsequently they now have a WR corps that is fronted by 3 free agents eating up over $30M in cap space and no TE's.    That's not genius that's paying the market rate in free agency and trade to correct mistakes.   Hopefully Gabe Davis is the start of Beane drafting good WR's.

5) Beane absolutely did not inherit one of the worst OL in league history..........he inherited an excellent group..........they had literally lead the NFL in rushing for the previous two seasons!   Wood, Incognito, Glenn........excellent players.   Unfortunately they hired an OC with an inflexible plan and then Beane foolishly extended the 31 year old Wood(who was going nowhere) a season ahead of his free agency in an attempt to get him to help pimp the process for McD.    That ended up costing them a lot of cap space when Wood retired after the season.   And then they strangely nickeled and dimed Incognito for some reason and he quit.   Glenn was traded and he then signed some bad OL to replace all of those guys.  He CREATED a horrendous OL for 2018.  He's done an excellent job since but this is another example of his totally botching his first crack at something.

6) They literally pay more for DL talent than any team in the entire league so excellence is expected.......and they are getting that excellent play of late.    I haven't been as critical of the 2020 DL as many.   As an advocate for them sticking with more athletic DT's than continuing to throw good money at bad like they did with Star..........it's just another instance where I'm looking mighty right.

7) Bottom line is that they are at a point now where they SHOULD be at their peak as a roster.........cheap QB.......they've spent basically all of their painfully accumulated wad of cap space in free agency..........haven't *had* to make any money choices on any of their own draft picks yet in free agency(they signed Tre and Dawkins early).........and they've managed to assemble a very good roster........but it's not an overwhelming array of talent(and it could have been with less basic mistakes like drafting to patch holes in the 2018 draft etc.).  

After this season they need to start getting A LOT more efficient with personnel decisions..........and since they have winning and a franchise QB on their side they should be able to bargain shop a lot more efficiently than in the past. 

Courtesy of luck and actually having the balls to be the guys that took the quarterback they have bought themselves a bunch of time to learn from mistakes.    I understand that my blunt assessment seems critical but the reality is that most GM's are hit and miss and it's like a DREAM COME TRUE to have these things fall into place despite that.   They've actually crossed many of the barriers to success with little resistance.  

But where the rubber meets the road is beating Belichick and winning in the playoffs(and a SB).   They are 1-8 in their first 9 high leverage opportunities so far........but they have the QB to turn that around. 

Still salty over Doug Whaley?  He sucked.  Get over it.

• Like (+1) 2

Okay Mr. Beane, let's see you work your magic in this year's draft. There's some players in this draft that can make an immediate impact on the roster. You all know how I've been banging the drum for Nick Bolton to pair with Tremaine Edmunds. If not Bolton, I'll settle for Zavan Collins. I also think having Shaun Wade at CB2 will solidify the secondary. At TE, Charlie Kolar with his 6'6" frame and catch radius can be Josh Allen's version of Jason Witten. For my last wish Mr. Beane, please get us Jaret Patterson. This kid is special. I haven't seen a player with contact balance like his since Emmitt Smith. 

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do you live like this? The Bills are the best they have been in decades and you are critical of the men who built the team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Well deserved. It's hard to know what's more exciting, our present or our future. 

Both but I would say more future. This team is being build the right way but still has a hand full of holes need fixing. The future is bright and I think Josh will get us to a SB.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

How do you live like this? The Bills are the best they have been in decades and you are critical of the men who built the team.

“Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.”

Horace Walpole

What I like most about McBeane is that they don't have the kind of mentality that thinks "hey we are the best this organization has been in decades, what's the problem?".😄

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know the more sensitive people get hurt when I point out that they have been so bad against NE and 0-2 with a blown 16 point lead in the playoffs but it's the truth.

Hope this doesnt come across as too sensitive but curious to know what Beane did wrong to give up the 16 point lead?

Did he drop any passes or give up the 3rd and forever ?

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Hope this doesnt come across as too sensitive but curious to know what Beane did wrong to give up the 16 point lead?

I also love how they’re “lucky to get to the playoffs with the worst point differential in 30 years” but it’s also held against them that they didn’t continue to get lucky and lost 10 - 3 against the Jaguars.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I get a kick out of some Bills fans nit picking at what this tandem have done so far with player personnel. These were two rookies at their jobs as both are first time HC / GM.

Looking at what they have done to build this team and how they got there just shows that they are learning as they go. They inherited Tyrod Taylor and didn't immediately dump him as they wanted to see if they could make things work with him.  

They inherited a 7-9 team that Rex Ryan screwed up by taking the very best D line pass rush in the league and asking them to stay back and hold position while the crappy LBers attempted to make plays or drop had them drop into pass coverage. Ryan inherited the #4 defense in the league and dismantled it to around 20th.  The first thing McD needed to do was fix that defense. The result was an improvement to 9-7 and a playoff berth...with Tyrod Taylor at QB...

Bills fans will clearly never let go of the passing on Patrick Mahomes...when nobody on that FO staff was capable of visualizing his future talent. The GM and scouts for that draft where all Doug Whaley and his choice for QB was EJ. I wouldn't let that guy pick a hamburger. There was a real reason he and his entire scouting staff were FIRED right after that draft. Meanwhile, McD found the very best CB in the league in Tre White. He went after the talent he 'knew" was good. LET...IT...GO!

The 2020 Buffalo have one of the very best QB's in the league and IMO is a better fit in Buffalo than Mahomes. The Bills have one of the very best, if not the best WR corps in the league with Beasley (who Beane stole from Dallas under Belichick's nose) John Brown, world beater Stefon Diggs who makes opposing DB's look silly as he jukes them outta their cleats play after play. And rookie 4th round pick Gabe Davis who is quietly having a very good season. 

I wouldn't trade McD / Beane for any other head coach / GM in the league. Best owners too. The best is yet to come...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Congratulations Brandon Beane, appropriate reward for a job well done.  Love the continuity and stability this (along with McD's contract) brings the organization.

Top marks to the Pegulas ... the ship has been steadied. :thumbsup:

Now all we need is for Josh to sign a half price 10 year contract and we are in business.

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Maybe he’s the one who told me NFL to send those men in black shirts on to the field to steal the touchdown away from them. Anyway...

Beane did what a good morning should do: he got a franchise QB, the most important piece of any team.  He also appears to have set the team up to be a perennial playoff contender.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Yep, they definitely got lucky thanks to an Andy Dalton 4th down pass to Tyler Boyd which ended up going for a TD. 

2) Allen was their guy. They locked in, maneuvered around, and made sure they got up high enough to grab the QB they wanted. It wasn't a "clear path", it was multiple decisions made right all the way down to the move up to #7 to take him. 

3) Not every single move made by ANY GM in the league turns out to be perfect. You talk about draft misses? The guys you named ended up on one team which means 30 other teams didn't draft them as well, not just the Bills. 

4) WR has been addressed and we have one of the better groups in the league who mesh well together, each one bringing something different to the table and excelling in this offense. It may not have been how many armchair GM's think they would have gone about it, but we're good now. 

5) The OL. Glenn? Middling and a prima donna who thought his Google Doctor assessments were more accurate than team Doctors. What's Glenn doing now by the way? Is his greatness shining through elsewhere? Incognito? Bat **** crazy. He forced his own release and ended up out of the league for a stint again. Wood? Goes down with a career ending neck injury. RG was Miller and RT was Ducasse. Yeah, they had to rebuild the ENTIRE OL and did so in basically 2 years. Not an easy task. 

6) You keep harping on the Star deal, but I think this year has proven how much he means to this defense stabilizing the 1-Tech. The guys added were meant to be depth that replaced Phillips/Lawson/Taylor, but Star opting out changed ALL of that. Guys have had to man positions they're not used to and now things are coming around. The overall health of the defense has played a huge part in this as well. 

7) If things were as simple and easy as you like to assume then every team in this league would be a contender. Fact of the matter is WE ACTUALLY ARE and are positioned to be for the foreseeable future.

We have the best coaching staff, GM, and overall assembly of talent since the 90's. We are going to win the division and host a playoff game for the first time since 1995. That's 25 years ago. There are people on this board who aren't 25 years old. We finally have a legitimate franchise QB for the first time since Jim Kelly retired. All of this is going on right now thanks to Beane, Mcdermott, this roster, and everyone else employed by the Pegula's. It's a great time to be a Bills fan, especially for those of us who suffered through almost 2 decades of futility. Not all of us have agreed with every decision made either. So sorry, not sorry, if it wasn't done the same way it would have in your, or anyone else's, infinite wisdom. Here the Bills are today and you can bet that no one wants to see us in January. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3

Hell yes! The Bills are building an incredible foundation that will be in place for years to come!

49 minutes ago, H2o said:

1) Yep, they definitely got lucky thanks to an Andy Dalton 4th down pass to Tyler Boyd which ended up going for a TD. 

2) Allen was their guy. They locked in, maneuvered around, and made sure they got up high enough to grab the QB they wanted. It wasn't a "clear path", it was multiple decisions made right all the way down to the move up to #7 to take him. 

3) Not every single move made by ANY GM in the league turns out to be perfect. You talk about draft misses? The guys you named ended up on one team which means 30 other teams didn't draft them as well, not just the Bills. 

4) WR has been addressed and we have one of the better groups in the league who mesh well together, each one bringing something different to the table and excelling in this offense. It may not have been how many armchair GM's think they would have gone about it, but we're good now. 

5) The OL. Glenn? Middling and a prima donna who thought his Google Doctor assessments were more accurate than team Doctors. What's Glenn doing now by the way? Is his greatness shining through elsewhere? Incognito? Bat **** crazy. He forced his own release and ended up out of the league for a stint again. Wood? Goes down with a career ending neck injury. RG was Miller and RT was Ducasse. Yeah, they had to rebuild the ENTIRE OL and did so in basically 2 years. Not an easy task. 

6) You keep harping on the Star deal, but I think this year has proven how much he means to this defense stabilizing the 1-Tech. The guys added were meant to be depth that replaced Phillips/Lawson/Taylor, but Star opting out changed ALL of that. Guys have had to man positions they're not used to and now things are coming around. The overall health of the defense has played a huge part in this as well. 

7) If things were as simple and easy as you like to assume then every team in this league would be a contender. Fact of the matter is WE ACTUALLY ARE and are positioned to be for the foreseeable future.

We have the best coaching staff, GM, and overall assembly of talent since the 90's. We are going to win the division and host a playoff game for the first time since 1995. That's 25 years ago. There are people on this board who aren't 25 years old. We finally have a legitimate franchise QB for the first time since Jim Kelly retired. All of this is going on right now thanks to Beane, Mcdermott, thus roster, and everyone else employed by the Pegula's. It's a great time to be a Bills fan, especially for those of us who suffered through almost 2 decades of futility. Not all of us have agreed with every decision made either. So sorry, not sorry, if it wasn't done the same way it would have in your, or anyone else's, infinite wisdom. Here the Bills are today and you can bet that no one wants to see us in January. 

I agree with everything you said here. But the part that I bolded and underlined sticks out. I have a 5-year-old son. It blows my mind to think that I was literally his age the last time that happened.

• Like (+1) 1

As I’ve read through many of the responses to this thread what comes to mind is that each week brings a new opponent in the NFL and each new season brings a new roster and a new schedule. Repeated success relies on a commitment to preparation, hard work, and yes....to a process. It’s less about people and more about mindset. If you lose focus for even a second, there’s another team waiting to knock you off. I’m praying that our Owners, GM and coaching staff realize that, and are ready to put in the work...every day. I think they know. They certainly look like they do.

Edited by SoCal Deek

Congratulations to you all!  You have hit on the 4 major pieces to success in the NFL...1. QB, 2. Coach, 3. GM, 4. Solid Ownership

The Bills will be a top contender for the Lombardi for a LONG time going forward just on having gotten these 4 things right.  I hope the see a healthy rivalry between the Bills and KC in the playoffs over the next several years, hopefully starting this season.  

• Thank you (+1) 4

We see this in other industries, in other aspects of life and community but having synergy between leadership and those who carry out the day-to-day practices has such an enormous impact on an organization. Brandon Beane is certainly the best GM the Bills have had since Polian and we can argue that McDermott is the best HC since Levy, without question. Having them together, in unison of vision and functionality with role clarity of role responsibility, is entirely the difference thus far in where this team is today versus where this team was when they both arrived several months apart from each other.

The pieces are in place to be competitive for a decade, maybe more, depending on Allen's career longevity. If he's anything like Big Ben the Bills could be somewhere between good  and great (depending on the unique circumstances of each season) for 15 more years. 

That's an amazing job, and it's not as easy as just getting the QB. Yes, that's huge, but look at the Lions. Very talented QB whose career has been wasted by bad coaching and poor rosters. 

A nice way to celebrate this would be to lock up Feliciano for a few more years!

Edited by TheFunPolice

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I saw this last night, but was too tired to respond.  

McDermott and Beane took over a largely dysfunctional team.  If a completely different scenario had taken place but the Bills ended up in the same place as they are right now, if they had done the things right that you say they did wrong and the team was 9-3 with some guy who is the new franchise QB, if they had lost twice in the playoffs, you would be pointing out OTHER things that McDermott and Beane did wrong.   All you're doing is pointing out the things you think they did wrong.  All you're doing is saying that anyone could have gotten the things right that they got right.   

The only scenario where you'd have no complaints is if the Bills were undefeated since the time McBeane took over.  Maybe then you'd be signing Billy Buffalo is a bad mascot. 

Yes, there are things that could have been done differently, and there are things that could have been done better.   But getting everything right is not real world.   In the real world, mistakes happen, and success is relative.  At this point, the Bills are an unqualified success

The day after the 2016 season ended, Bills fans would overwhelmingly had said, "Yes.  Give me THAT," if you would have offered them:  

Three out of four winning seasons.  Two playoff appearances in three years.  Franchise QB rated in the top 10 and MVP candidate.  8-3 in current season, consistently in top 5 in power ratings.  

Every fan, including you, would have taken that.

To consistently talk as though McBeane aren't doing their jobs very, very well says something about you, not about the Bills.