Diggs traded to Texans for picks

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

I wasn't making any assessment of who's better, just stating our starters.  But OK, swap Halmer for Shorter, so Shakir, who played Slot last season, now at wide, Samuel, who has to play Slot, and Hamler.  Is that an encouraging starting WR corps?  LOL  People criticized and slammed our past WR corps, this should be a real hoot with the sentiments if it isn't seriously upgraded.  

I agree with that.  Trading your obvious top WR for nothing doesn’t help in the near term at all.  Diggs 100000000% wants to win.  Cutting through all the noise that is what comes through loud and clear.  Allen has taken to partying the last few years.  Deny it all anyone wants but it is true.  He has immense talent and he gives his all on the field but that hasn’t been enough because he screws around too much.  Now our receivers will know what happens if you try to push 17 to work harder/be better.  A franchise realistically has to build around the QB but the QB needs to work.

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

Not this year 

Just now, SWATeam said:

What is so smart about paying Diggs all these bonuses to then be stuck with all this dead cap?

Houston can absolutely agree to take on any/all of the remaining amount.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

I don't have a good enough grasp of the trade compensation to make a guess, but it feels like a trade up.

This I will say, Curtis Samuel's role is now HUGE.  He is a weapon and it is now all but confirmed that he'll be used as such.

LOL, Samuel's had plenty of opportunity to be HUGE and has never even sniffed those results.  7 seasons to be precise.  

The trade compensation was this year's 6th and next year's 2nd and 5th.  

And you're right, Samuel's role is now HUGE, but honestly, anyone expecting that to materialize in the way that we need is going to be incredibly disappointed.  

Just now, SWATeam said:

What is so smart about paying Diggs all these bonuses to then be stuck with all this dead cap?

If you or I knew that, we could answer.

We don't have access to the books or what was/is going on.  We're not GM.  

We're arm chair QBs.  We know NOTHING>

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I mean.. Diggs isn't prime Tyreek. 

We're getting a '25 2nd Round pick, but it's the Vikings pick.  Good chance that pick is in the top half of the 2nd Round next year.  

Clearly part of the calculus is using a high pick next year to move up this year. 

That’s what I’m thinking…the tyreek hill trade has warped everyone’s compensation ideas a bit.  Diggs isn’t even remotely close to the player tyreek is at this stage in their careers 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, schoolhouserock said:

The WR room is going to be completely different. Wow.

I'm a fan of that. This team needs new blood in lots of places 

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I'm curious to see what this does for our cap situation. If we take on a massive dead cap hit then I'm not a fan.

Our WR room is utterly horrendous right now. 

Luckily we don't plan a game next weekend. Plenty of time to get that sorted out 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Diggs performs well when he is mentally and emotionally well, so I think he'll probably go there and be pretty happy and perform well. Until something passes him off and he starts sulking again.

Talented receiver, but he is too volatile.

Pretty much this. Diggs is a force when he wants to be.

When he doesn’t want to be we get the disappearing act during the second half of last season and the guy that let a beautiful Josh Allen bomb go right through his hands in the playoff game against KC.

We can’t have that.

This is the type of move the best teams make. The Patriots would never have put up with it. KC traded Tyreek Hill.

I was under the assumption the Bills would just cut Diggs next off-season. They just moved it up 12 months and received compensation for doing so.

We were on the verge of life post-Stefon. It just happened a bit sooner than I thought.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

Diggs had his moment to prove he was worth the infighting, the drama and the social media distractions, and this is what he did...

65b28d489de16.image.jpg?resize=849,500

When you come up THAT SMALL in a big moment, you're not worth the headache.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Dead cap is dead cap.  It's roster bonuses, restructure, and signing bonuses.  You can't trade it - its basically compensation that was spread over several years.  

All base salary, workout bonuses and per game active bonuses are acquired by the new team.  

Teams can do whatever they want, we’ve seen teams include cash in trades before. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Curtis Samuel is our #1 WR right now. Beane definitely has something up his sleeve wether it’s drafting back to back WR this year, trading for Higgins/Aiyuk or trading up for Harrison/Odunze/Nabors, something will get done since Beane at least up until now hasn’t done things on the fly for no reasoning.

something has to get done, and it should be one of the WRs in the draft you mentioned (I'd even add Thomas) coupled with a FA you noted or drafting 2 WRs (but that's hard with the trade up).  Or, draft Odunze and Polk perhaps, who knows.  

24 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Mods, can you change my username to Allen2TBD

That's the hazard of putting a player's name in your user name.

This board is full of people who I bet wish they could change their outdated user names.

Hey Diggs: I really liked you in the beginning. But as time marched on, your mouth started writing checks you can't cash. Someone with your stats ought not be criticizing a Top-5 QB.

1 minute ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Is tee Higgins at all possible to get 

Higgins, Ayiuk and D. Adams would be the available trade targets. Appears this off season Beane is looking to start phase 2 of the Josh era and getting younger which would cross off Adams (and his large contract). I don't see Cinci trading Higgins to the Bills or any other AFC contender but could be a FA target next year. Ayiuk was rumored to be offered to Jax for #17 and Z Jones... He will need an extension but that can massaged to fit this year. Ayiuk would be the target if Beane is looking for an immediate trade. 

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

this ONLY makes sense if we are trading up for Harrison, Odueb (sp), or Nabers.  Not even Thomas may warrant this, but if we don't land one of those 4 from the draft this is an utter failure, and Josh should be asking for a trade next.  

Agreed, unless they have another trade in mind for an established #1 in the league. I don't know if there's anyone available I'd be super excited about though. 

• Agree 1

Football wise...I am EXCITED about the roles of Shakir and Kincaid expanding.  Management wise, I am puzzled why we didn't do this after June 1st and lessen the cap burden given we didn't get back any draft capital in this draft.  

I am actually not that concerned about the offense, I think we will still be an elite offense, I mean we were last year and went 6-1 with our WR1 and WR2 producing very little in that time last year.  

I just don't understand the timing if we didn't get a pick in this draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

You don't waste a prime year of Josh Allen. 

I'm sorry, you just don't.  And we're not.  This is a gamble, but this move wasn't made in a vacuum.. Beane is still a top tier GM and I firmly believe this move has corresponding moves for this upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Heels20X6 said:

Diggs had his moment to prove he was worth the infighting, the drama and the social media distractions, and this is what he did...

65b28d489de16.image.jpg?resize=849,500

When you come up THAT SMALL in a big moment, you're not worth the headache.

Now do Josh’s 3rd down.

• Eyeroll 1

31 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The guy is the best WR the Bills ever had. Thanks for this. McDermott better win this thing basically now or I don’t want to keep running this ***** back.

Andre Reed and Eric Moulds say “hold my beer”.    After that, Diggs is in the argument.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

Have no idea if numbers are correct but this is among the early info out on cap situation.

That's the "by the book" breakdown.

Houston can take on any amount they want, and even trade us cash for a player.

We'll have to see how this shakes out.

If this was strategic, as opposed to reactive, it would’ve happened a month ago before all of the WR-needy teams picked a mate, or during the draft.  This was a reaction to something, plain and simple.  And it’s a terrible look for the organization - they signed him to this contract and kept adding money to it, yet they couldn’t make it work.  And this regime ALWAYS finds some reason why they have to wait to fix the offense until some future year.  ALWAYS.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

I'm no gambler but I bet Beane isn't as confounded as Greg Tompsett. 

I see no way to explain away the extension as a good move.  It was reckless.   

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I thought this looked like a rebuild year before this trade and now it's 100% confirmed. Absolutely insane roster mismanagement. He might've been the only player left on the team that actually wanted to win a Super Bowl.

The guy disappeared the last 3 years in the playoffs.  Him not being on offense on paper makes the offense worst.  This isnt paper its humans.  The subtraction of Diggs for the 24 Bills will be interesting to see.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Football wise...I am EXCITED about the roles of Shakir and Kincaid expanding.  Management wise, I am puzzled why we didn't do this after June 1st and lessen the cap burden given we didn't get back any draft capital in this draft.  

I am actually not that concerned about the offense, I think we will still be an elite offense, I mean we were last year and went 6-1 with our WR1 and WR2 producing very little in that time last year.  

I just don't understand the timing if we didn't get a pick in this draft.

We traded some of *our* 2024 picks.  thats why

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, BritBill said:

I'm no gambler but I bet Beane isn't as confounded as Greg Tompsett. 

So it makes sense to trade someone in the first year of their extension and take a cap hit thats really hard to eat.  Im still confused how this happens with the cap.  who are we cutting?

• Like (+1) 1

Ever since Halloween last year something was up. Yes media blows things out of proportion but duo clearly went from bffs to at first cold. Then almost like an awkward forced professional relationship. I’ll try to find the good that he became a headache and disappeared second half season due to age. Don’t love next year 2nd rounder. This offense is lacking but still draft and time make  up for it 

• Like (+1) 2