Gabe Davis to Jags

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

We don’t even know what kind of money Ridley is getting 

He’s getting more than Bourne and Davis. Bank on that…

There’s no way they didn’t have some contact to gauge what he wanted…

7 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Who are the elite guys they were adding those years, 2022 & 2024? This year the top guys who could be argued resigned with their respective teams… 2022 they picked up the best option in Kirk and acquired the best TE that FA period unless Uzomah was your preference…

Could they do better? Absolutely. But the options the last 3 years aren’t exactly littered with any star receiver… 2023 saw who? Jarvis Landry? Kenny Golladay? 

Again, I’m looking at the bigger perspective of what they’ve had to work with. They haven’t done that bad seeing as they’ve been in the position to over pay and have acquired the best possible players at the receiving position whether you like them or not over the past 3 year period. 

in 22? Davante adams would’ve been a splash play 

just thinking out loud to tua getting tyreek, Josh getting diggs, etc… burrow with chase is a little different but still a big swing. 

if doing the platoon, I think I’d rather just go the Green Bay route with young guys 

40-45m and no impact player seems the worst case, no?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

in 22? Davante adams would’ve been a splash play 

just thinking out loud to tua getting tyreek, Josh getting diggs, etc… burrow with chase is a little different but still a big swing. 

if doing the platoon, I think I’d rather just go the Green Bay route with young guys 

40-45m and no impact player seems the worst case, no?

They would have been special acquisitions but you’d have to believe that they didn’t want to depart with the capital that was given to get those players? Unless they didn’t even know they were on the block lol

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said just feel that without giving up assets in future drafts, they haven’t done that bad with all things considered. 

To me at least, they have an impact player in Engram. WRs are meh. 

Congrats to Davis on a nice 3 year deal.  What I like to watch for when a player leaves the Bills is whether or not he continues to show the deficiencies many gripe about.  In this case I think that's routing tree limitations, critical communication miscues with the QB, drops, and not playing to the physical, fighting for the ball ability his size should demonstrate.  So was any deficiency in play the Bills coaches, scheme, Josh instead, and such or the player?  Will be fun to see.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, billsbackto81 said:

I actually liked Gabe, but no way was Buffalo going anywhere near those numbers. 3 yr @ 50 Mil? Uh, no.

That's low end #1 receiver money for a borderline #2 WR.

He's currently the 24th highest paid WR (APY)

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

Lol you almost have to feel bad for any Jags fans coming to our board hoping for some positive insight on Gabe with all of us going "OH NO! Beane asleep at the wheel again!! NO GABE NO!!" and instead everyone is like "probably dropped the pen TBH. good riddance." 

He had some good games for the Bills, but disappeared like a blind date when the bill came to the table too often...

I don't think anybody has said "good riddance" this thread seems to be a lot of well wishes. 

There is this assumption among Bills fans that you have to have some Chase/Higgins combo on the outside and that everybody else is a dud. Davis was a good piece to have on the outside. The Bills got tremendous value from him. He never cost us more than $2.8M and some seasons as little as $800k. He way outplayed his draft position and his contract. We will not be able to replace Gabe's run blocking and route running for close to the same that we paid him here in Buffalo. 

We saw the Patriots and now KC have tons of consistent success having a go to inside WR and a TE and a bunch of role playing pass catchers. I suspect this is the route the Bills are trying to go with Kincaid, DIggs, and Shakir/Cook. 

Would I pay Gabe $13M to be a role player in this offense? No. But he is a good player and in a world where there are 3 or 4 $30M cap hits for WR's $13M isn't the wide receiver it used to be. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just announced

Announcements like this make it clear that "legal tampering period starts today at noon" is such baloney.

Gabe didn't sign a 3 year deal just after noon today because his agent started negotiating at noon today.  This has been in the works for weeks.

Lets be real...

Beane got a wide receiver in the fourth who just got a 50 million contract for 3 years

That's a good draft pick that he made.. hopefully he does stuff like this for a long time

Find good players in the 4th 5th 6th round which he always has

1 minute ago, Bad Things said:

I find it odd/amusing to see so many people propping up Chad Hall as some kind of coaching guru. What gives?

he's definitely a really good wide receiver coach

But There's really not a shortage of good one.. even though he is definitely on the upswing as a coach

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I find it odd/amusing to see so many people propping up Chad Hall as some kind of coaching guru. What gives?

It's not so much that he is a coaching guru. It's It's more that the players liked him. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

So $39M is the real number. He gets $3M AAV more than MVS got when he signed with the Chiefs. Sounds about right after two years of salary inflation.

Love it for the comp pick.

Love it for Gabe.

Would have HATED it for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not really digging all of the trash talk by fans in here.  Gabe was a good dude, good teammate, pretty good receiver and great blocker who provided us with a lot of fond memories on a cheap rookie 4th round contract.  Good luck to the young man.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

That's a given.

Yep , I would say that’s as well. The jags always give the bills issues and are above.500 against them I believe.  Funny how bills homies are so ready to be critical of other teams receiving corps , yet we suffered watching  a season with the two fa’s from the fins do essentially nothing, Knox has continued to be an enigma, our wr 1 falling of in productivity drastically during the second halves of the 2 preceding seasons, our great hands rb continuing  to drop wide open passes and have fumble issues.  Plus , guys w blinders on forget the game that Jax easily beat our bills last year as even the now released zay jones even caught a TD during that game. 

Just saying , having been a bills fan my whole life , but at the same time having been an original jags season ticket holder to support the community and Jax’s bid to stay an NFL site to enhance the cities financial development , I’ve had to watch the jags beat the bills in playoff games ( ending Kelly’s career etc) and beat the bills even as the jags had inferior talent and it’s been a sad experience too often over the years. 

Better watch what you wish for as the bills really are in no position to criticize any receiving corp given the WRs beane has supported or, better to say failed  to support Josh with at least up until this point. Plus remember Gabe was here as Dorsey misused most players and had to be fired. All I am suggesting is pedersen is a good hc/oc (he does have a Lombardi the bills franchise lacks ) , and has proven he can outcoach McDermott head to head , so GABE MAY indeed have untapped potential. Time will tell and should only be judged going forward as the past means nothing now. Sadly, one of my fav BILLS , Morse , has also added in JAX , and will add a lot of intelligence and stability to bolster one of the jags weaknesses.  Really loved Morse as a BILL; guy was well spoken , humble, great leader and was good for josh who i think will also miss Morse. 

Have to admit these moves make Jax a more likeable team to follow locally even tho they are no where close to my BILLS fandom; it at least shows the owner is finally trying to win and thats been hard to believe with all the prior terrible squads they have fielded in the past.  Jax is a small town except geographically, and many football guys live in the very wealthy ponte Vedra beach area or go to the TPC at sawgrass or the LODGE beach club in ponte vedra.  I don’t live in those really wealthy areas but just in a non gated part of ponte vedra since ‘85 , and there is only one TARGET ( hey there are really great stores in the open mall area , but for some reason Targets still draws many high income shoppers. I know this having seen them but also from talks with cvs pharmacists in target who have shared w me ) in the area that surprisingly draws lots of people from those gated areas.   ( funny, i posted when i met and had a great 15 min visit in that target with then Milano fiancé , now wife, as while traveling thru the area she came up to me as i was wearing a bills hat !).

So , here’s hoping i get a chance to possibly run into Morse or Gabe out shopping and get a chance to talk a little BILLS football with them!  Hate that they are no longer BILLS , but not sad they are now part of the city / community!   Anyhow , just saying bills fans should temper their criticism of GABE/morse/ Jax , until they see the actual product and be honest that right at this moment , our wr corp is a big question mark and who knows how good any bills wr is given the misuse by the past oc’s. I think a case could be made GABE could be more productive in the future than our prior MLB Edmunds will be as a bear going forward. Again , time will tell, but as a BILLS fan, not looking forward to playing Jax next year as we often play poorly against them and they have already added 5 significant new starters via free agency; GABE might thrive on the jags roster as pedersen might get more out of him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Not really digging all of the trash talk by fans in here.  Gabe was a good dude, good teammate, pretty good receiver and great blocker who provided us with a lot of fond memories on a cheap rookie 4th round contract.  Good luck to the young man.

You should see what the Giants fans are saying about Barkley …

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'll say this. If Beane had wanted to keep Davis as much as he was saying last year he would have found $13M AAV. That's a lot...but not a crippling amount. They were ready to upgrade the position.

You can say the same thing about every player who’s left the team this season, including Mitch Morse.

5 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Chad Hall is there and they have a good QB. Wins all the way around for Gabe

Yet, Gabe was most effective deep and that's not Tua's strength. Went to the Dolphins? Piss on him...  

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Process said:

Best of luck to Gabe. I have no doubt he's a hard worker. 

Yes, a hard worker who lacks the talent to justify that commitment.  Good luck to him.  

50 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

Never got a chance. Sad

Hope you are being sarcastic, because Davis played 95 % of the snaps the past two years.  Nothing but chances.  

Edited by FLFan
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Better watch what you wish for as the bills really are in no position to criticize any receiving corp

Good thing I'm not a member of the Bills so I'm free to criticize all I want.

• Haha (+1) 2

Best of luck to him !

he sure had some good moments. Those toe drags wow

I am going to have to watch his stats next year to see how he works out in another system. Lawrence likes the deep ball i read somewhere

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I like Gabe in terms of him seeming like a good guy, good work ethic etc and I'm happy he got paid.

But I am also happy he signed elsewhere as I don't think he's dynamic enough to be a WR2 on a good offence

• Agree 2