Gabe Davis to Jags

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I mean production was fine, we just expected more from a guy playing with Allen.

Given the opportunities he had and the multiple goose egg games with no stats, I'd disagree that he was playing to expectations.  

He blew up every 3rd-4th game.  Too volatile to be relied on.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's 3 years up to $50M. Not announced publicly yet.

Yep. He was always gonna get around $14m IMO and a couple of the top guys staying put has bumped him into the $16m plus range.

15 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just announced

Nice, this is a downgrade from Ridley, so at least we don't have to worry about them being "better" and it takes one team who was heavily seen as a candidate to go WR ahead of us now off the board.

I do wish him luck though, liked Gabe a lot even though his game and limitations frustrated me many times and I felt we needed to go in another direction.  Just hope he does one of those 0 catch games whenever we play him that he is known for. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's 3 years up to $50M. Not announced publicly yet.

Good.  

✌️ glad Josh got you overpaid Gabe.  Thanks for the hard work and dedication to your craft.  

Lol you almost have to feel bad for any Jags fans coming to our board hoping for some positive insight on Gabe with all of us going "OH NO! Beane asleep at the wheel again!! NO GABE NO!!" and instead everyone is like "probably dropped the pen TBH. good riddance." 

He had some good games for the Bills, but disappeared like a blind date when the bill came to the table too often...

Good for Gabe. Wish him all the best unless he’s playing the Bills. He’s a total team player, hard worker and liked in the locker room.

Our WR core needs significantly addressed as its Diggs, Shakir and Sherfield right now!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

So $39M is the real number. He gets $3M AAV more than MVS got when he signed with the Chiefs. Sounds about right after two years of salary inflation.

While I think this is a fair deal and about what he is worth, I thought because all the other top tier FA's stayed put leaving only Ridley at the top of the FA WR list it would inflate his contract above $16M and maybe as high as $20M as there are always teams who grossly over pay out the gate and they have the higher than expected cap.  I mean Zay Jones got a bigger deal than this having done a lot less than Gabe, Christian Kirk got even more at $20M per.  Maybe Jags learned their lesson since they did both those over pays to stay within reason on this one.  

So this is good news for us as it keeps the other guys a little further down the list that the Bills might have interest in costs down now that Davis, seen as the 2nd or 3rd best FA WR coming into today, has signed a reasonable deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I think this is a fair deal and about what he is worth, I thought because all the other top tier FA's stayed put leaving only Ridley at the top of the FA WR list it would inflate his contract above $16M and maybe as high as $20M as there are always teams who grossly over pay out the gate and they have the higher than expected cap.  I mean Zay Jones got a bigger deal than this having done a lot less than Gabe, Christian Kirk got even more at $20M per.  Maybe Jags learned their lesson since they did both those over pays to stay within reason on this one.  

So this is good news for us as it keeps the other guys a little further down the list that the Bills might have interest in costs down now that Davis, seen as the 2nd or 3rd best FA WR coming into today, has signed a reasonable deal. 

Or the market doesn’t value him as high as you were …let’s see how much the next receiver off the board gets ..

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So $39M is the real number. He gets $3M AAV more than MVS got when he signed with the Chiefs. Sounds about right after two years of salary inflation.

I'll say this. If Beane had wanted to keep Davis as much as he was saying last year he would have found $13M AAV. That's a lot...but not a crippling amount. They were ready to upgrade the position.

• Like (+1) 2

Boom or bust WR with a low floor pairing up with a boom or bust QB with a low floor. Seems about right.

In all seriousness, glad he gets some coin and gets to move closer to home. Ball out, Gabe.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He could have been offered slightly more from another team but he essentially gets to go home to play for an offensive HC where he can start. Someone must’ve have offered him 15 a year but we’ll never truly know 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or the market doesn’t value him as high as you were …let’s see how much the next receiver off the board gets ..

Did you actually read my post?  I literally said I thought what he got is his value.  I never at all said I valued him higher, I said I expected some foolish team to over pay him if he went this early day 1.  The same team that signed him just recently grossly overpaid for both Christian Kirk and Zay Jones in the same offseason like 2 years ago.  

• Like (+1) 1

Say what you will about the drops, and I totally get it, but when he’s on he’s great. While I do think we can improve via the draft, he was a part of some very important games for us and he was a valuable, if sometimes unreliable, part of our team.

Best of luck Gabe. I hope you hit those incentives and wish you the best… but if you’re lined up across from us I hope you have an off day 

• Like (+1) 2