The Bills have highest % of cap on IR (Spoiler - Dolphins, Chiefs and Bengals are MUCH lower)

BillsFan619

I know we need to play better and the coaches need to get the best out of the players they have, but this is pretty telling to our struggles.

Look at the difference between us, the Dolphins, the Chiefs and the Bengals.

Hopefully we can stick around and get a couple/few players back and have a good shot come playoff time.

Go Bills!

-Current players on IR- 10

-Current cap dollars on IR- over $45m

-Current percentage of cap money on IR- over 20%

Conpared to Dolphins (12th lowest):

-Current players on IR- 7

-Current cap dollars on IR- over $8.7m

-Current percentage of cap money on IR- 3.97%

Compared to Chiefs (9th lowest):

-Current cap dollars on IR- over $6.2m

-Current percentage of cap money on IR- 2.9%

Compared to Bengals (3rd lowest):

-Current players on IR- 5

-Current cap dollars on IR- over $3m

-Current percentage of cap money on IR- 1.42%

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/injured-reserve/

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 8

• BillsFan619 changed the title to The Bills have highest % of cap on IR (Spoiler - Dolphins, Chiefs and Bengals are MUCH lower)
4 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I know we need to play better and the coaches need to get the best out of the players they have, but this is pretty telling to our struggles.

if we can stick around and get a couple/few players back, we could have a really good shot come playoff time.

Go Bills!

This is telling.  I don’t know how much reinforcements we can expect for the defense, other than maybe Douglas and Joseph helping to make an impact.  Everyone else has to step up their game.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Hopefully we can stick around and get a couple/few players back and have a good shot come playoff time.

Go Bills!

I have figured that was one of the issues with how this team is currently built.

High cap players that spend too much time on IR, and often too much runway needed to develop drafted and UFA players on rookie deals to be solid starters. I know the narrative was that it was a testament to the team's patience getting Epenesa to a place where he was more of an impact player on the defensive line, but the team also does not get better end of that deal with a learning curve consuming much of their rookie contract.

We have plugged those roles where we lack impact players with older players that are solid when healthy, but more prone to injury and have had to burn a good amount of cap to do so. Some hard decisions are going to have to be made at some point on how to best retool. And that means letting players OBD has become attached to walk if they are not exceptional players that can serve as cornerstone pieces of the puzzle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Tre at 16.2m killed us.

Jones at 8.5

Milano at 7

Knox at 6.4 (he’ll be back)

Elam at 3.1 (he’ll also be back)

Here's hoping that all of the last 4 are back.

That, to me, is key to the potential for winning a title this season.  If we can win enough to get in the playoffs, and hopefully win the division - then we get Milano or Jones, or both, back.  Could be just the boost we need to finally make a real run.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

Not arguing that Bills haven’t had a series of tough injuries to top players on D. 

But part of this excess is due to funny cap gymnastics. 
For instance, tre whites cap hit is 16.2 mil, while Aaron rodgers cap hit is 8.8 mil. 

I think the jets made rodgers cap hit low this year by giving hin a $70 million salary next year

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

The Office Smile GIF

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I kind of thought it was bad, but this is like...real bad. Dang. I know he's not on IR, but consider Von (and his payday) as pretty much a non impact player at this point makes it even worse. 

Yeah, you might as well add Von to that list. By the time Von is healthy enough to play a full season (2024), we'll be making plans to get rid of his dead cap.  Burn that down.

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

Excuses are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. This team was broken BEFORE the injuries. The injuries just made it worse.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 3

33 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Excuses are like buttholes. Everyone has one and they all stink. This team was broken BEFORE the injuries. The injuries just made it worse.

This team was 3-1 and demolished their last 3 opponents before the injuries.  They were the top defense in the league and had the second highest scoring offense.

But don’t let facts get in the way of narratives

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Blowing teams out by 3+ TDs every week after week 1 = broken?  Did you even watch the games?  Do you know what team's fan forum you are on?

• Like (+1) 2

Just when everyone thought the Bills luck had to get better (at the end of the 2022 season, the crap kept piling up.

Horrible luck. Not excusing coaching deficiencies and player getting old and/or not performing up to their past standards, but it's been two straight years of terrible luck.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

Yep. And the majority of those cap dollars are not coming back this year. 

I know some people don't like excuses. But those people also don't like reality.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Trolling? The injuries are a major factor in the weakened D. Plus they continue to mount.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills!

This doesn’t even show the hole picture as well. How many are playing threw injuries or unable play 1 to 3 weeks with said injury (like a concussion). I know for example my Pats have 10 on IR, 4 more out due to injury, 10 more questionable. That makes 14 out for sure and 10 playing threw injuries at best. I am sure the Bills have something similar.  It’s been a bad year for injuries. 

I can’t even get on the Bills, completely, due to betting on injury/age and getting bit. 

Guys like Milano, Knox, Elam, Benford, Oliver and Rousseau missing games… they’re all young or young enough. 

Jones is a normal age for an impact DL. 

Tre White was uncuttable due to his contract, and regardless, you don’t give up on a guy at his age off one injury. 

Hyde & Poyer we’re always the risk… and they seem to be living up to that risk in somewhat declined play and both missing games already. 

Next year we have a decision to make on guys like Tre, Hyde and Poyer.  At the very least, I think you’ve got to move off Hyde and Poyer and talk Tre into a massive “restructure” aka pay cut.   If not, and if they bring in more old players .. you get what you get.  

Von is a killer.   I was for the move when we did it, and he showed out when healthy, but the injury has hurt us so bad.  We desperately need him to find himself again.   This team needs someone to break through on the defense.  

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I can’t even get on the Bills, completely, due to betting on injury/age and getting bit. 

Guys like Milano, Knox, Elam, Benford, Oliver and Rousseau missing games… they’re all young or young enough. 

Jones is a normal age for an impact DL. 

Tre White was uncuttable due to his contract, and regardless, you don’t give up on a guy at his age off one injury. 

Hyde & Poyer we’re always the risk… and they seem to be living up to that risk in somewhat declined play and both missing games already. 

Next year we have a decision to make on guys like Tre, Hyde and Poyer.  At the very least, I think you’ve got to move off Hyde and Poyer and talk Tre into a massive “restructure” aka pay cut.   If not, and if they bring in more old players .. you get what you get.  

Von is a killer.   I was for the move when we did it, and he showed out when healthy, but the injury has hurt us so bad.  We desperately need him to find himself again.   This team needs someone to break through on the defense.  

Poyer after a slow start has actually played well. He wasn't as good last week (he wasn't bad he was just average) but his run of games from Washington through to the Buccs (he missed Miami nicked up) were Poyer back close to his best.

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah, you might as well add Von to that list. By the time Von is healthy enough to play a full season (2024), we'll be making plans to get rid of his dead cap.  Burn that down.

I remember being pretty excited about the signing even though I knew it probably wasn't smart, but I didn't expect him to basically be useless beyond last thanksgiving. It's probably a good lesson to learn about big name older players. Just sucks

11 hours ago, Cray51 said:

This team was 3-1 and demolished their last 3 opponents before the injuries.  They were the top defense in the league and had the second highest scoring offense.

So this team was 3 defensive players away from being one of the worst teams in the NFL?  We nearly lost to the Giants and Tampa and lost to the Patriots and Jaguars.  Must be common core math. 

Edited by TheWeatherMan

9 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Just when everyone thought the Bills luck had to get better (at the end of the 2022 season, the crap kept piling up.

Horrible luck. Not excusing coaching deficiencies and player getting old and/or not performing up to their past standards, but it's been two straight years of terrible luck.

That’s why McD blowing it 2 years ago with 13 seconds just hurts that much more. 

It was the beginning of the end. 

11 hours ago, Cray51 said:

Exactly what injuries occurred on the offensive side of the ball that have contributed to the lack of production? Even with all of the injuries, the defense has performed admirably and has done enough for us to win games. The defense is not the problem right now. I don’t want to hear excuses.  If the defense was giving up 30 points a game, then I would say yes there is credence to your argument. 

13 seconds was our year and we all knew it. .. and Luck had nothing to do with losing that.  Allen left the field a winner.  Just disgraceful coaching and a choke job by certain players on the field. 

The injuries would eventually pile up in the years after.  Like in all sports, you have to take advantage of the one great opportunity you get.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.