RIP Dick Butkus

BuffaloBillyG

Butkus was amazing.

The Bears drafted Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers in the first round of the same draft!   Hard to imagine any team having a better first round, ever.   

Butkus was quoted in Sports Illustrated as saying, "If I was smart, I'd be a doctor.  But I ain't, so I'm a football player."

After football, he had a semi-successful career as a celebrity, doing ads and personal appearances.   I think it was another Sports Illustrated story about him that said he did an appearance one time, and the promoter didn't pay him at the appearance.  After a little time, Butkus called him, and the guy said, "Yeah, I'll get it to you."   Another call, another brush off.  One day Butkus walked into the guy's office, unannounced, walked behind his desk, grabbed the guy by the neck, stood him up, and walked him outside.  Butkus made him get into a car, and they drove to the guy's bank, where Butkus made the guy take the money out of the bank that Butkus owned.   He was his own collection agency, and when Butkus said it was time to get paid, you knew it was time!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Rico said:

Mount Rushmore of Bears MLBs:

Dick Butkus

Mike Singletary

Brian Urlacher

Tremaine Edmunds

I literally snorted out loud reading this at my dentists office. Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, chongli said:

I remember only from the TV sitcom My Two Dads, but he was a legend and well respected. Such a shame.

My 2 dads! Ya he was the guy downstairs. Owned a bar or something. Reminds me of Alex Karras character on Webster 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, AlfaBill said:

My 2 dads! Ya he was the guy downstairs. Owned a bar or something. Reminds me of Alex Karras character on Webster 

Yep! I associate Karras with Butkus too--both were big guys in shows featuring unconventional families. There were a lot of former football players on TV shows in the 80's, like Butkus, Karras, Fred Dryer ("Hunter") and Merlin Olsen ("Father Murphy").

Edited by chongli

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The name exemplifies toughness. True legend of the game.

Question? Who here is old enough to remember Dick Butkus and Larry Csonka making an appearance on the Six Million Dollar Man back in the 70's? 😁

Great memories as a kid watching stuff like that.

do reruns count?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.