RIP Dick Butkus

BuffaloBillyG

Sad news for sure. He was a wrecking ball in the middle of that Bears Defense. Also, I remember watching the 1980's version of the Legend of Sleepy Hollow when I was growing up, and he did make a pretty good Brom Bones character. He was a true legend! Prayers lifted up, and R.I.P. Mr. Butkus #51

Edited by Let's Go Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

When I was a kid, I envisioned my self as Butkus whenever I was on defense…playing in the yard with neighborhood friends, playing Little Loop football in the south towns, and playing high school football. I never grew big or strong enough to make my dreams come true of playing on a higher level, but at those low levels, whenever I moved in for a tackle, I always had in my mind “Butkus for the Stop!”, and tried to use vicious aggression, just like he did. LOL He definitely was one of a kind. 

• Like (+1) 1

Surprising stat in that montage was he only had 2 winning seasons. Hard to believe with how much he is revered. Takes a team for sure.

The Bears record for his career 48-78. Never finished 1st, never made the playoffs. Amazing. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PonyBoy said:

Surprising stat in that montage was he only had 2 winning seasons. Hard to believe with how much he is revered. Takes a team for sure.

The Bears record for his career 48-78. Never finished 1st, never made the playoffs. Amazing. 

Especially so when you consider Gayle Sayers was Drafted in the same Draft as Butkus. They should have been cornerstones for a dominant team.

What happened? The Bears are legendarily notorious for not understanding the QB position and therefore failing EVERY TIME they Draft one.

it’s truly ridiculous!

18 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

One of the best to ever do it. 

I always thought his name was hilarious when I was a kid. It’s gonna be a sad day when we lose all the legends from the glory days of football. RIP, legend. 

Kind of awesome that Chicago won though. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

And with his passing a page is turned in history. RIP.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Especially so when you consider Gayle Sayers was Drafted in the same Draft as Butkus. They should have been cornerstones for a dominant team.

What happened? The Bears are legendarily notorious for not understanding the QB position and therefore failing EVERY TIME they Draft one.

it’s truly ridiculous!

My money says they get it right in 2024. If their FO can't do that they need to be strung up to a tree with a lit bomb in their mouths.

I had heard that Butkus was disappointed that Jim Brown unexpectedly retired the year he was drafted as he looked forward to taking him on. Word was that he punished Leroy Kelly, who became the Brown’s featured back, whenever he got the opportunity. Not sure if the story is fully true but it made for good conversation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.