OT: if the Pats lose to the Jets - how hot is the seat for their HC?

Success

Belichick has almost become a myth here & around the league. Conventional wisdom is that his job is secure no matter what.

But Kraft has expressed frustration w/ the lack of playoff success since Brady left.  And the game does pass some of these legendary coaches by.  The vibe I get when I check in on the Pats boards is that things could get dicey if things go really south for that team. And an 0-3 start would almost be guaranteed to be an 0-4 start w/ Dallas next on their schedule

Could there be big changes in New England if this season end up w/ a losing record and another playoff miss?

3 minutes ago, Process said:

BB the GM should have been fired a long time ago.

BB the coach is the only reason that team wins more than 4 games. 

Well said.

I watched both Patriot games and, as you wrote, Belichick is the only reason keeping that team from complete collapse. They are  devoid of talent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Missed playoffs and BillyBoy is history in NE.  It’s a business and Kraft doesn’t give a hoot about Bills legacy if they are losing fans and Revenue.

I think his coaching is highly overrated.  

Don't think his coaching is overrated,  but his drafting has been abysmal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Success said:

Belichick has almost become a myth here & around the league. Conventional wisdom is that his job is secure no matter what.

But Kraft has expressed frustration w/ the lack of playoff success since Brady left.  And the game does pass some of these legendary coaches by.  The vibe I get when I check in on the Pats boards is that things could get dicey if things go really south for that team. And an 0-3 start would almost be guaranteed to be an 0-4 start w/ Dallas next on their schedule

Could there be big changes in New England if this season end up w/ a losing record and another playoff miss?

Basically BB seat is hot. Kraft feels he destroyed Jones development last year and forced him to hire a real OC in O’Brian.  If they start 0-4 (which is all but guaranteed if they lose to the Jets) Kraft may tell him this is his last year and then Promote Mayo to HC and make Groh GM.  But that’s my guess and opinion and as my wife says I am wrong a lot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I want BB around for as long as possible.   He keeps them in purgatory and away from the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

I really really hope they beat the Jets. 

See I think Sanders be a more fun QB if they picked a QB.. heck right now I’d be giddy with the tackle from ND being picked by them in April.. the O line has been horrid. 

The other day in the BN column that question came up, below is part of Jay S's answer

Let’s say they finish this season 8-9. That would leave him 22 wins short. Without an answer at quarterback, it’s hard to see New England making a big jump forward in the years ahead, so projecting them to finish with somewhere between seven to 10 wins over the next couple of years seems reasonable. That would mean Belichick would need to coach into his age-74 season in 2026 to get the record.

Jay didn't think Kraft would ever fire him, but I'm not so sure.  Can't see him giving him more than another year unless gets 10 wins in 2024

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, MRW said:

If you could replace Belichick the GM while keeping Belichick the coach, that would be ideal. But it isn't really possible to make a change like that after you've given a guy complete control.

it is difficult to take that power, it would be easily possible to cede that power. 

I think he outsmarted himself by having Patricia coach offense last year. If I was Kraft that would really irk me given the results. It looks like BB is chasing Shula's record but that will require at least 3 more seasons if my math is right. I don't think Kraft would fire BB publicly if he was going in a different direction. BB's legacy is hanging in the balance if he can't win without Tommy.

Rob Parker of The Odd Couple with Chris Broussard and Rob Parker on FoxSports Radio said this month that Bill Belichick is a legend and will not be fired. He has 298 all-time wins, only 30 wins behind Don Shula. Parker estimated it will take him three seasons to break that record He said his job is safe until that time. I couldn't find this clip, but this is a clip from this summer where he has the same conclusion, but gives different reasons, like Belichick was the architect of the defense without which Tomy Brady would not have won all those Super Bowls.

36 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Losing record without Tommy. 

Well, barely. From 2021-23, he was 25-25 in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs (loss to you know who). This season he is 0-2 so far.

Edited by chongli

I think the Pats will beat the Jets but I think Billy B is safe for at least one or two more seasons. Even with a catastrophic 4-5 win season this year I think Kraft brings back the hoodie for one more season to attempt to right the ship. I think the Pats honestly aren't dead in the water. They played one of the top 3 teams in the NFC week 1 and were mostly within a score that whole game. They then played a good Fins team and once again were mostly within a score. 

I think the Pats will win 7-9 games this season. Their defense is really good, their ST unit is good and while their offense is bad they have some pieces on that offense like Stevenson who is a very good RB. The issue is most of their games against most competition are going to be one-score knuckleball-type games which are usually 50/50 affairs. So its going to be hard for them to get past a game above .500 that way unless they get insanely good luck which at 0-2 will only have to be more insane. 

TLDR: Billy B will be back in 2024 and likely 2025 if he wants to keep coaching. 

This exact post comes out about every couple months on here for some strange reason. I’m just happy I don’t have to spend any more time worrying or thinking about Belichick. They are in the rear view and he will eventually be out of NE in the next couple years. That’s good enough for me. 

I wonder how deep old ass Kraft would have to dig to begin to put into motion a Bill Belichick replacement regime. Bill’s the guy at work to take on all the responsibility so nobody knows what the ***** is going on, so he can’t be replaced. I’m sure Kraft would prefer attending his Funeral: Bill Belichick, Head Coach of the New England Patriots

6 hours ago, Process said:

BB the GM should have been fired a long time ago.

BB the coach is the only reason that team wins more than 4 games. 

Tough spot for the Cheats

Maybe Kraft will take away the GOAT Cheater's GM powers and then he will quit as coach due to it once he finds a position for his son on one of his disciples' teams.

With the Jets and the Cowboys (both road games) as their next 2, the Pats have a very realistic chance of going 0-4. I believe they need to move on from Bellichick and accept that the era is over. Get rid of Mac Jones also who will never be more than a top tier backup. That whole roster needs to be gutted. 

10 hours ago, Success said:

You are late.

They were bums last year and they’ll be 4th place AFC-E again this year. Big bust Mac is not the answer and short of bitching at Ref’s calls 😂👍, Belicheat has appeared to be an out of control loser without answers.

It’s not easy at all, post Brady, something he’s cottoned on to.

“On to the Nursing Home”.

13 hours ago, MRW said:

True, I just don't see Belichick as the kind of guy who would be willing to do that.

nor do you see him as a guy that wants to quit or be fired a season or two before breaking the record I bet 

so something may have to give in that, even if mostly behind the scenes 

17 hours ago, Success said:

But Kraft has expressed frustration w/ the lack of playoff success since Brady left.  And the game does pass some of these legendary coaches by. 

I would argue that it hasn't "passed him by," but that he owes his historical career to Mo Lewis.  

I hope that he at least sent Mo a nice fruit basket at some point.  

17 hours ago, Success said:

Not sure I ever see him being fired per se however.  I think if anything he and Kraft would very very discreetely discuss his "resgination" if it ever came to that, to the extent that it would appear to be genuine.  

Edited by PBF81

BB should have retired when Brady left the Patriots and leave the question of who influenced their dynasty more forever unanswered.

I think he's in New England for as long as he wants. He (and Kraft) probably want that all-time victory title, but he's 31 victories away.  If the Patriots keep rolling out these 8-9 win seasons, that's a long time.  

5 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

They won't.  Belichick hates the Jets more than anything

They barely beat the Jets in both games last year.  The 2nd game was tied 3-3 with under 10 seconds to go..

Belichick's hate vs. NY losing 14 in a row to the Pats and desperate to end that streak.  I give the Jets a chance, for sure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.