Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Wasn’t there talk of moving Benford to safety last year? Looks like Elam needs to figure it out before we can consider that. But maybe in 2024? 

Yeah, there was talk of Benford.

I’d hate to at least not try Elam at Safety before they wash their hands of him. He is 6’1” and can play a physical game.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

It's really a numbers game, more than anything else.

• Benford beat him in camp and played well last week
  • Dane Jackson is the veteran 3rd CB
  • Cam Lewis offers positional flexibility because he can play CB and safety in a pinch
  • Elam doesn't play special teams

But it is at this point a really poor draft pick

Agree!

My take on it is if Benford wasn't on the team, Elam would at a minimum be active and maybe even starting.  If the Bills had known they were going to draft Benford and he'd be as good as he has turned out to be, I'm sure things would have been done differently.  It's not very often a 6th round pick beats out a 1st rounder particularly from the same draft so that certainly gives this a bad look for the Bills. 

Diggs was a 5th round pick.  I'm sure he's jumped over many players drafted higher than him, but because they weren't likely taken in the same draft, it goes unnoticed and all the talk is about how great Diggs is.  With Elam not playing also doesn't give him the in game experience to improve so will take longer.

To me though this whole thread should be about how good Benford has become, that to me is the story.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BananaB said:

McD can’t get quality play out of any draft pick. Boogie, Aj and now Elam. Wasting picks. We were lucky Benford stepped up, sadly we had to go pay veterans to rush the passer. Trust the process

Clearly the worst coach in football. The guy just doesn’t know defense, does he? 🙄

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

2nd healthy scratch in a row...time to trade him.

Buy high, sell low, 2 games into year 2!!

We gotta regular Warren Buffet over here!!

Next week I plan to buy a brand new car, drive it off the lot, and sell it a week later! Make sure to spill some pop and crumbs in it, ill let the next owners clean that out.

Fingers crossed i make lots of profits 🤞🤞🤞

• Like (+1) 1

I have no issues with them drafting Elam.  It was the right call at the time with Tre being out, Wallace leaving, and Benford not existing yet.  

I’m frustrated that we haven’t developed or flipped him for something yet.  I’ll say it again, play him in the preseason, let him play man, trade him to the Ravens for a third.   

Elam’s value will only go down from this point.  We don’t need him for depth if he’s not even activated.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I wouldn't read that much into it. The cb chart is deep. And that's a good thing. 

As soon as he gets his chance he'll take it. 

Sure, things might work out….As of now….. it’s looks like a massive fail.  1st rd healthy scratches, not good.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Likely won't change until there's an injury ahead of him. They played Benford 100% of the snaps last week and seemed very happy with how he played. Jackson is next man up. 

Not ideal for a former 1st rounder, but it's good we have other dudes that stepped up. 

Or if Cam Lewis is injured on a ST play. I doubt that Lewis is ahead of Elam on the defensive depth chart, but as a core STer, that certainly put's him over Elam.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm thinking of all the exotic type of defenses you can play having a good press coverage CB. Think of how they used Deion Sanders to shadow the teams best receiver and play zone coverage everywhere else. 

yeah, but we don’t have those exotic type plays.  Was my hope when we drafted him, but Frazier and McD not creative enough. 

• Agree 1

After the first 2 games, I think it's safe to say McDermott knows what he's doing on defense. I feel if Elam was as good as fans hoped, McDermott would be playing him.

I know people like to pick apart any mistake the defense makes when we lose, but overall they were really good against the Jets. They held the offense to 16 points, and that was after gifting them 4 turnovers. This week they held the Raiders to 10 points, 240 total yards, Josh Jacobs to -2 rushing yards & had 3 turnovers.

Sure, there were 0 sacks, but overall the D looks good. Elam may get a chance at some point, but at this point he's in the Aaron Maybin category to me.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

The worst part in my opinion is that the Chiefs jumped in front of us to pick Trent McDuffie. Who looks like an absolute stud.

GunnerBill and I have debated whether the Bills would have taken McDuffie had the Chiefs not jumped us, but regardless, it’s a bad look.

So, either:

1) Beane wanted McDuffie but let the Chiefs outmaneuver him.

or

2) Beane had Elam in front of McDuffie on the draft board, which is probably even worse. 

Beane wanted Mcduffie. Wasn't happy when KC traded up. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Someone has to be inactive. Who do you want inactive instead of Hamlin?

I want all of them on the field
But we mentioned , two weeks deactivated. Hamlin also qualifies

Should he be traded ? Or do he and Elam offer depth for the season and injuries/matchups ?

9 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

After the first 2 games, I think it's safe to say McDermott knows what he's doing on defense. I feel if Elam was as good as fans hoped, McDermott would be playing him.

I know people like to pick apart any mistake the defense makes when we lose, but overall they were really good against the Jets. They held the offense to 16 points, and that was after gifting them 4 turnovers. This week they held the Raiders to 10 points, 240 total yards, Josh Jacobs to -2 rushing yards & had 3 turnovers.

Sure, there were 0 sacks, but overall the D looks good. Elam may get a chance at some point, but at this point he's in the Aaron Maybin category to me.

Oh I think Elam isn’t good. That’s kinda the problem lol

Here's the deal.  It stinks that he's inactive.  Obviously, you want your first round pick to play.  But it's a numbers game on gameday and not everyone can be active.  He hasn't earned the right to have that jersey consistently.  But make no mistake about it.  He will play this year.  It's still football and injuries and poor play happen.  He will get a chance and it's up to him what he does with it when the time comes

'

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sven233 said:

Here's the deal.  It stinks that he's inactive.  Obviously, you want your first round pick to play.  But it's a numbers game on gameday and not everyone can be active.  He hasn't earned the right to have that jersey consistently.  But make no mistake about it.  He will play this year.  It's still football and injuries and poor play happen.  He will get a chance and it's up to him what he does with it when the time comes

'

He'll most likely be active against the Dolphins and follow Tyreek around. I felt last year that they spent most of the year just getting him ready for Hill. He had good games against him. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

yeah I guess if our defense gives up an average of 13 points per game, I’m good with our first round pick that we traded up for sitting out.  

52 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

What is the point of having inactives? So, out of a 53 man roster, 48 players can be active but not the other 5? What sense does that make?

Competitive balance. One team may have a lot of injuries and another may have none. NFL tries to balance things out a bit. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.