Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Beane should have cut his losses before the season started. It’s got to be humiliating for Elam as a first rounder. Give his the benefit of the doubt and trade him to a team that can use him in their scheme. Instead, we held on to him and now his value is plummeting each week as he’s inactive. Bad look all around. 

I got curious about this. In 2022, only one team played man at a 50% rate (Saints). Most teams play zone 70% of the time. You can't have a player that tips the coverage just be being in the game.

Edited by FrenchConnection
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Put the playbook on the plane!

Good memory. I think the strong value that culture plays on this administration was really drawn to Elam's sales tactic of bringing his notebook to the combine and he drove it home with that playbook on the plane comment.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Good memory. I think the strong value that culture plays on this administration was really drawn to Elam's sales tactic of bringing his notebook to the combine and he drove it home with that playbook on the plane comment.

which shows the naivete of the bills "braintrust"

1 minute ago, finn said:

He's a good player, just can't play zone well, evidently. 

Yeah. He made a comment this offseason about how he would stay up nights stressing about how he could make plays in a zone defense.

And I think mentally he gets in his own head. This quote is telling:

"Last year, I’m coming in with all these high expectations. Not only from the media and the outsiders, but myself as well. If I saw somebody make a play, I wanted to make two, three of them. And if the results didn’t come, then I already added more pressure to myself. If I F-ed up, I felt like I’m letting people down. I’m letting the G.M., the head coach, I’m letting myself down, I’m letting my family down... First 3-4 weeks of training camp I was very consistent. Making a lot of plays on the ball. I feel like that first preseason, I got that holding call that I was in great position. I don’t think I should have even touched the receiver." - Elam

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Special K said:

So does O’Cyrus Torrence.

Beane needs to to the same thing next year with his first two picks: OL and WR.

What we need to be doing is drafting the best player available and not trying to draft someone that fits into our team

We used a second round pick on Cyrus Kuanjo and Cody Ford

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

What we need to be doing is drafting the best player available and not trying to draft someone that fits into our team

We used a second round pick on Cyrus Kuanjo and Cody Ford

That’s just it…Elam didn’t fit what this team does schematically. It was a head scratcher then and especially  now. 

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I got curious about this. In 2022, only one team played man at a 50% rate (Saints). Most teams play zone 70% of the time. You can't have a player that tips the coverage just be being in the game.

That’s probably true, but I’d say a coach like BB got Elam to go with Gonzalez both who excel at man.. the team would then switch to more of a man defense. A good coach plays to his players strengths..

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

That would certainly guarantee a CB injury and an immediate need to get him back. 

no, this would only happen to the Bills…oh, nevermind

Just now, BearNorth said:

All-rookie team players available when we drafted Elam

Karlaftis - DL

Linderbaum - OL

Devin Lloyd - LB

Jalen Pitre - S

Ken Walker III - RB

just a huge miss and another time Bean went position over BPA.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Dalton Kincade says hold my beer 

Kincaid and Torrence. Saying that McBeane draft only defense is such a lazy take.

They will draft a DL in the first, they can't help themselves... Kincaid

Oh well, now in 2nd round they will draft a LB, they can't help themselves - Torrence

3rd round LB, probably BPA on their board - you see, they had to draft undersized LB, they can't help themselves.

Next year - they will only draft defense, they can't help themselves. 

If they draft WR or OT in the first, move to second.

Rinse repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm thinking of all the exotic type of defenses you can play having a good press coverage CB. Think of how they used Deion Sanders to shadow the teams best receiver and play zone coverage everywhere else. 

Seriously.  He’s a great chess piece.  I would hope McD could scheme up something for him. Doesn’t seem like he’s willing to at this point 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

He's just not that good and Benford is. 

Remember when we would have just gone ahead and played Elam? “He just needs some experience.” We’d have to, because we had so little to work with. The slow start and possible bust hurts, but I’m happy we have some pretty good CB’s ahead of him. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

What value did he really have to begin with.  

My guess is it could have been a somewhat high pick considering he’s still 22, has at least three years of control left, and has that “potential” label. However, I’m concerned a lot of that was wasted by hanging onto him and allowing other teams to see him inactive the first two weeks. 

1 minute ago, Beast said:

At this point do they think of making him a safety? Poyer’s days are numbered. 

I just don’t know.

Wasn’t there talk of moving Benford to safety last year? Looks like Elam needs to figure it out before we can consider that. But maybe in 2024? 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

To me it’s strange because I really do consider McDermitt to be the cornerback whisperer. He can take chicken ***** and turn it into chicken dinner.

But not this time and it was a high round pick too

That was my argument for taking another position early on. McD is arguably the best in the league at getting the most out of DBs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.