OT…All is not going well on South Beach

78thealltimegreat

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The only thing they are teaching him that would be relevant would be slapping your hands on the ground and tuck your chin when you fall....it's called break falling.

Your hands take most of the impact so your head takes less.  It does work but not sure how it translates to the NFL.  

Well that system is great in theory but if you are a qb getting tackled with a ball in your hand, that break fall is frought with danger of a fumble.

7 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I know the Dolphins offense last year was designed to get the ball out quickly and that may have taken care of the problem, but I remember that the year before Tua was terrible at reading blitzes.  I thought our defense was going to kill him and that was before he had the concussion issues.  Has he gotten better?  If not, and you're willing to risk jamming their receivers and blitzing, it could get really dangerous for him.

It could also be real dangerous if Hill breaks the jam and is running behind the secondary from 5 yards and beyond.

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Well that system is great in theory but if you are a qb getting tackled with a ball in your hand, that break fall is frought with danger of a fumble.

I think taking care of the football is the most important is a given.  It's more for the Milano type of hit where he could have used it.

Breaking falling doesn't work if a defensive player is driving through you.

On 8/10/2023 at 2:36 AM, GreggTX said:

I'm not gonna say that our OL is good, but the Dolphins struggling up front and our DL getting healthy gives me great confidence.

That’s where we have an advantage.  

That’s also where Miami has the advantage.  Their DL >> our OL.  
Add Fangio and his prowess into the mix and Josh may be running for his life

On 8/9/2023 at 7:50 PM, Success said:

Are you joking?

I don’t think pats o line is great, but probably is the best if we are being fair.

Jets have major issues at tackle, dolphins line is horrible, and let’s be honest the bills on paper have a pretty mediocre o line. (at least on paper going into the year)

On 8/9/2023 at 7:32 PM, Lost said:

Not good for us either considering PFF has that unit ranked 2 spots higher than ours.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-2023-offseason

Buffalo made some additions to this unit but maintained its approach of relatively modest investments and striving for an overall average set of results.

Rookie O’Cyrus Torrence isn’t currently slated to start but could push to take over at guard without too much trouble in Year 1.

Best Player: Dion Dawkins

Left tackle Dion Dawkins was comfortably the best player on this line in 2022. He allowed 30 total pressures, including three sacks.

how the hell does PFF know this when Our team has not even made the decision on the position yet?

LG Connor McGovern  I find it funny they do not mention the huge upgrade McGovern is over a guy that was pff ranked in the basement at one point.   LG is a HUGE upgrade... 

On 8/10/2023 at 12:35 AM, Big Blitz said:

When Armstead isn’t on the field, they are a complete disaster.  

And since they have him in bubble wrap (is he even playing in these scrimmages?) it makes sense that they’d look bad. 

Expect to see this almost all year with him:

Wed    Thurs   Fri

Armstead, Terron      DNP    DNP     LP

Yep. And he IS injury prone (people here love to describe as injury prone people who have had one or two big injuries which isn't what it means). Armstead in 11 years has NEVER played a full season and has played fewer than 14 games (so at least 3 missed) on SEVEN occasions.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/12/2023 at 3:01 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yep. And he IS injury prone (people here love to describe as injury prone people who have had one or two big injuries which isn't what it means). Armstead in 11 years has NEVER played a full season and has played fewer than 14 games (so at least 3 missed) on SEVEN occasions.

Which also means he's playing banged up the majority of the time as well.  

On 8/9/2023 at 8:09 PM, Success said:

Their line wasn't that good last year - and arguably got worse.  Reading some of the Pats boards, it's their biggest concern heading into the season (aside from whether or not Jones can take the next step).

I don't see it as worse, with Saffold, that walking disaster, gone. But I worry about Spencer Brown. If he's a liability again (or once again injured), the Bills willl need to keep Dawson Knox in, as they did last year. 

1 hour ago, finn said:

I don't see it as worse, with Saffold, that walking disaster, gone. But I worry about Spencer Brown. If he's a liability again (or once again injured), the Bills willl need to keep Dawson Knox in, as they did last year. 

Oh, for sure. I think our line is a LOT better, actually.  My comment was about the Patriots O-line, which looks to be worse than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, finn said:

According to accounts the #1 o-line has been looking much better so far this preseason, and did well in the 1st preseason game, imo we will see notable improvement throughout the season, 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Fits in well with the West Coast Sound.  His version of 'Light My Fire' is timeless, but I find 'Feliz Navidad' a stale holiday dirge.

🤔

That's because it's just 3 words long.

• Haha (+1) 1

What's the over/under on the number of games Tua is able to finish?

If by some magic they could be assured that Tua will stay healthy all year, I would be scared of these Dolphins. But the backups are Mike White* and Skylar Thompson. Almost as incredible as them not shoring up the O line to protect a particularly fragile QB is them failing to bring in a competent backup. This will not end well.

*And I kind of like Mike White, at least theoretically on an offense that can protect him. That was not the Jets, and it is not the Dolphins.

9 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

We’re about to find out if McDaniel is a genius or not this year. 

that play was too easy for the safety

Yeah this was the kind of thing our former Def Coord passed up because, oh well, THE SCHEME.

Of course if McDermott starts calling 3rd and 18 like Frazier.......

Edited by pocoboy

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

I think it is because they know how to read a depth chart:

image.thumb.png.c7dd93c4096add691f55b2f97e4b9045.png

Dude, preseason depth charts are one step up from astrology.  Even regular season depth charts need to be taken with a salt shaker.

The Bills acknowledge that there are a bunch of active battles, including for RG.  This version of a preseason depth chart doesn't

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.