Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

When it comes to another DT extension after Oliver's, I get the feeling Beane's going to want to see how Daquan Jones, Poona Ford, and Jordan Phillips play and hold up throughout the season before extending one of them. 

As for Neal, he's a favorite amongst posters to clear cap. But he's also a favorite of the coaching staff and the locker room. He's our only other Nickel CB besides Taron Johnson, our only Big Nickel, and a core Special Teams player. There's a reason they gave him the contract they did. He's not going anywhere.

And Beane doesn't do extensions that aren't in his plans or release players at other positions simply to make a move on a Free Agent. That's not how he operates.

Not pushing back on your overall Neal points, but I figured (or maybe heard/read) Rapp might fill that role this year especially with how he’s being paid. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Thank you for your response, but I was just singing a song. Im kinda sad I had to explain.  That said, enjoy! Maybe itll make you a bit happier...or at least a little less.... ugh?

I know the song, and even though I read your reply early and not fully awake, I still read it in the form of this song, this one song that I can think of with my name in it 😕

8 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Not pushing back on your overall Neal points, but I figured (or maybe heard/read) Rapp might fill that role this year especially with how he’s being paid. 

I feel like if that were a move they were to make they'd have already done it by now.

Not saying it's out of the realm of possibility that after Training Camp they take a look at things and decide they can part ways. But I don't see it happening before then and I'd be surprised if it happened at all.

Either way, the point remains the same. Fans look at our situation and Hopkins and say "if we cut this player, extend this player, renegotiate this player - we can pay Hopkins (X amount)". That's not how Beane operates.

If he's going to extend someone, it's not done specifically to sign someone else. It's done when he wants the player extended and the player and their agent agrees to their price tag.

Anyone he wants to release to save cap space, he does early on in the Offseason or after a correlating move. Like if he felt this about Neal after signing Rapp, he'd have released him soon thereafter like he did with McKenzie following Harty. This late in the game, if he wanted to release Neal for cap space, he'd have done it already.

Ultimately, if Hopkins comes here, it's going to be at the price he offered when they talked. Beane's not going to panic and do a bunch of stuff he hadn't planned on doing to get him here, like posters are suggesting. He's not going to get into a bidding war. Just like Leonard Floyd and Poona Ford, it's on Hopkins to come back to the offer, which is surely less than others are offering, or play somewhere else.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

16 minutes ago, Success said:

I keep reading that the Pats are the most likely to get him.

Wouldn't love that. But better than Chiefs, Ravens or anyone else in the AFC.  

If he goes to the Pats, I give him 3 weeks before he wants to kill Mac Jones. DHop loves the deep ball, Macs noodle arm does not. 

17 minutes ago, Success said:

I believe that's only because that's the last visit he went on. The week before the Pats visit the Titans were rumored favorites. Seems to be the way for players when making visits. Then they end up signing with some team no one even had on the radar.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Pretty sure it's "What you wanna do?"

If im making up lyrics, wutchu talkin bout Willis? My song, my lyrics!

Now, when posting in non-singsong terms - then maybe "what you wanna do" would be the proper and correct way to dictate the lyrics. That said, its art! Art takes many forms. Its free flowing and comes from the soul.  If that's what I felt at that particular moment - who are you (or any one else for that matter including myself) to judge? I'd never be inclinded to question the genius that is Scott Stapp, front man of legendary rock group Creed, on any of his lyrical choices. Granted, I'll never be able to live up that that living legends accomplishments... but I digress.  The point remains;)

7 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I know the song, and even though I read your reply early and not fully awake, I still read it in the form of this song, this one song that I can think of with my name in it 😕

I could have done it in the phrasing of an Amiee Mann song if that would have pleased you? The point remains that I think the response was on par to your original post in which the response was in reference to. Honestly, PPL just seemed more appropriate and on the same level

4 hours ago, Success said:

If he REALLY wanted to be a Pat, you'd have to think he already would be. I give Edmunds credit for stating he wanted to be a part of a rebuild with a straight face. It would seem DHop is having a difficult time trying to muster the same energy and enthusiasm.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

If he REALLY wanted to be a Pat, you'd have to think he already would be. I give Edmunds credit for stating he wanted to be a part of a rebuild with a straight face. It would seem DHop is having a difficult time trying to muster the same energy and enthusiasm.  

I don’t think he wants ANY of the teams that want him. The Pats may be the best option of the 4 because, per talking heads, he has a deep respect for BB.  (And to the Jones comments on here, the man has played with a lot worse with the Texans.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t think he wants ANY of the teams that want him. The Pats may be the best option of the 4 because, per talking heads, he has a deep respect for BB.  

Agreed.

Also agree that he’s played with worse than macnchz but I think that’s one of the reasons he doesn’t want to go there.  He knows how much he hates playing with 💩 QBs 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t think he wants ANY of the teams that want him. The Pats may be the best option of the 4 because, per talking heads, he has a deep respect for BB.  (And to the Jones comments on here, the man has played with a lot worse with the Texans.)

I agree, to an extent.

I believe Buffalo and KC are interested. But they're only in on a one year, incentive laden deal. Hopkins really doesn't want that. On the other hand, the Titans and Pats are probably offering closer to what he wants with a contract, but he'd prefer to sign with a contender and a team with a QB who has better arm strength and talent to get him deep balls.

That's why I think we're in this holding pattern. Either he gets a team he wants, but doesn't get the contract he wants or he gets the contract he wants, but doesn't get the situation he wants. 

He was hoping in taking the visits to New England and Tennessee that a team like Kansas City or Buffalo would see it and up their offer. But obviously, that hasn't happened and it doesn't appear that it will. 

Ultimately, I think NE and/or TEN are going to tell Hopkins that they'll pull their offer(s) if he doesn't agree by a certain date and when push comes to shove - he'll end up signing with one of them.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

It’s never the best option for any WR to play for a bottom 5 QB regardless of how much respect they have for the HC.  

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

It’s never the best option for any WR to play for a bottom 5 QB regardless of how much respect they have for the HC.  

Ok he isn’t bottom 5, nor is he top 15. But he is IMO 16-20. Last year hurt everyone on the offense. Also don’t forget he has played with top end WR in college and at least 2 have said they preferred Mac over Tua. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.

Also agree that he’s played with worse than macnchz but I think that’s one of the reasons he doesn’t want to go there.  He knows how much he hates playing with 💩 QBs 

Love the spelling of Mac & Cheese. I’m stealing that. 👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what exactly has he done to warrant that kind of $?  Even though it opens a few mil in space for them now, would expect that makes it much less likely Hopkins signs there

According to the Pats fans replying to that tweet, absolutely nothing.

49 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Parker was to be released if the Pats signed Hopkins. Does this take them out of the running?

I really think he wants Buffalo but can't see it happening unless a lot of concessions on both sides are made.

I feel like both sides want it to happen but both sides also have number they wont cross.  At the very least, it just shows that NE isn't going to sit around and be used to try to drive up his market.  If anything, that signing was kind of a "FU" to him because Parker isn't worth that money.

The only one with the flexibility is DHop.  Bills are up against the cap and are only playing ball if he comes in at the right price.

Edited by The Wiz

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Parker was to be released if the Pats signed Hopkins. Does this take them out of the running?

I really think he wants Buffalo but can't see it happening unless a lot of concessions on both sides are made.

Where did you hear they were going to release Parker? It doesn't make sense that they'd say "if we can sign Hopkins, we'll release Parker" and then shift to "okay, we couldn't sign Hopkins so we're going to give Parker a 3 year, 33 million dollar extension". Teams don't operate that way. They gave up a 3rd for Parker just last year, he was always in their plans when Hopkins came in to visit.

Extending Parker likely frees up cap space this year, making it easier for them to sign Hopkins. I wouldn't read a thing into extending Parker. If anything, the Parker extension helps them get Hopkins.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what exactly has he done to warrant that kind of $?  Even though it opens a few mil in space for them now, would expect that makes it much less likely Hopkins signs there

That's what guys "you hope end up as your veteran boundary WR3 in a dynamic offense" money looks like.    He's in the MVS and Gabe category.   I don't think it puts them out on Hopkins at all.

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's what guys "you hope end up as your veteran boundary WR3 in a dynamic offense" money looks like.    He's in the MVS and Gabe category.   I don't think it puts them out on Hopkins at all.

It makes it more likely imo as it will pry clear up around four million in cap space.  They could've saved six million by cutting him but they may want both Hopkins and Parker.  Bourne is an obvious cut candidate (frees up 5.4m) if they do sign Hopkins.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It makes it more likely imo as it will pry clear up around four million in cap space.  They could've saved six million by cutting him but they may want both Hopkins and Parker.  Bourne is an obvious cut candidate (frees up 5.4m) if they do sign Hopkins.

Bourne is a nice player. Hell, if NE cuts him I'd bring him to Buffalo for the right price. 

• Agree 1

The Pats are the only team stupid enough to consider paying DH.  They are desperate at WR, have lots of cap space, fans pressuring for signing, but no other team is willing to pay that amount.

DH don’t like to practice, he does not have Bills DNA imo.  No thank you to DH.  I like our WR group now, and I don’t think DH adds much we don’t already have

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.