Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

OMG this thread is hilarious. This isn’t rocket science.  DHop gave an emoticon response directed at calling the reported rumor BS.  

It literally means nothing else so stop trying to read more into it.  

Good point. I was reading it as Buffalo but Bull does make more sense.

That said, I don't think him saying "bullsh-t" to a report that we're interested is a good thing either.

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If the Bills wanted they could massage the cap to make a “big” offer but there is no 

reason why the Bills would want to take on what could be a big liability in future deadcap years for Dhop at this stage of his career. 

Similar to Floyd the Bills will probably make a decent respectable offer that make kick a bit of dead money down the road but they aren’t going to hamstring themselves too much either 

If someone retires and has a settlement with Bills or someone is traded giving Bills cap more room I could see them doing it but I would want to make sure Jim Overdorf goes no where near contract for in fast he either was not able to or choose not to make free agents and players resigned to make concessions which would invalidate bonuses for failure to follow terms.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

What are you talking about man? I've all but given up on the idea that Beane will do what needs to be done to make this happen. He didn't close on Von Miller in 2021, McCaffrey last year, and now Hopkins. He's unwilling to cross his strict value line, ever, unless it's for depth caliber linemen. I'm not happy about it but I'm not stretching facts to convince myself Beane will change his MO this time around.

I think he regrets the Von Miller contract and is hesitant to commit a lot of money/cap space to another 30 plus year old free agent.  I'll admit that I'd have mixed feelings if he did break the bank for Hopkins too as visions of Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Roy Williams dance through my head.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think he regrets the Von Miller contract and is hesitant to commit a lot of money/cap space to another 30 plus year old free agent.  I'll admit that I'd have mixed feelings if he did break the bank for Hopkins too as visions of Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, and Roy Williams dance through my head.

I am totally okay with Beane not bending over and handing Hopkins his asking price just because he’s “the missing piece” and Baltimore did it for Odell. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

I am totally okay with Beane not bending over and handing Hopkins his asking price just because he’s “the missing piece” and Baltimore did it for Odell. 

The Ravens were more desperate as they don't have a Diggs.  Plus, I wonder how much of that was to get Lamar to lower his fully guaranteed contract demand by showing him they were serious about giving him some weapons.

• Agree 1

I think DHop needs to realize that the situation with OBJ is not the same as his situation.  Baltimore is desperate for receiver.  They needed a #1.  DHop is not that dude in Buffalo.  He's the #2 guy with Diggs.  He's also 31 years old.  Super Bowl contending teams are not going to spew money at him.  That's why Tennessee and New England are offering him all that money.  It's because they're trying to make a splash and see if he can help develop their young QB.  DHop for the Patriots or the Titans is the equivalent to when we signed Mario Williams.  We didn't think we were going to be some world beaters when we signed him, but it got the fan base excited.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. Bills need to take a shot on a guy like Hopkins though… they got no one behind Diggs and the risk is worth the reward IMO. If it doesn’t work out it doesn’t work out, but at least take the shot. 

I agree with you but I think they are taking a shot at him, as you say. It seems like they’ve been interested all along. I think Beane is willing to give Hopkins a competitive offer. I just don’t think Beane is going to be fazed by spectres of big money competitor offers from dog**** teams like the Pats or the Titans. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. Bills need to take a shot on a guy like Hopkins though… they got no one behind Diggs and the risk is worth the reward IMO. If it doesn’t work out it doesn’t work out, but at least take the shot. 

Not a Dezmon Patmon believer I take it.  It's tough because we don't know what he's demanding.  I do agree we're thin at WR though and that falls on Beane.  However, you can still win a Super Bowl with an elite WR and a bunch of JAG's elsewhere.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Bit of a bummer these guys value depth pass rusher over skill set for Josh considering the way the league is trending… I mean we just witnessed a SB where a monster pass rush all season couldn’t do jack ***** against the Chiefs and Mahomes…. Also their heavily invested defensive line depth was destroyed by 3 back up Bengals linemen.😅

Yup....as long as McDermott runs this team,  he will always emphasize the defense over the offense.  No matter how generational Josh is.  KC has proven twice you don't need a top 10 defense to win a SB.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Good point. I was reading it as Buffalo but Bull does make more sense.

That said, I don't think him saying "bullsh-t" to a report that we're interested is a good thing either.

Maybe to those how have this false hope he might still come here...but the reality is that ship sailed a long time ago, so this really was insignificant other than him just pointing out that another fake rumor was BS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Bit of a bummer these guys value depth pass rusher over skill set for Josh considering the way the league is trending… I mean we just witnessed a SB where a monster pass rush all season couldn’t do jack ***** against the Chiefs and Mahomes…. Also their heavily invested defensive line depth was destroyed by 3 back up Bengals linemen.😅

They literally drafted a 1st round weapon for Josh Allen. The best pure OG in the 2nd round.

People need to understand they LIKE Gabe Davis. As much as we complain about him they think Gabe Davis is a good WR2. Anyone we draft or sign would be replacing Davis. 

Any WRs added would either move Gabe Davis to the bench or would be on the bench themselves.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup....as long as McDermott runs this team,  he will always emphasize the defense over the offense.  No matter how generational Josh is.  KC has proven twice you don't need a top 10 defense to win a SB.

KC also proved you don’t need top WRs. 

But I don’t agree with the KC defense part. Their best players upfront step up. Same when the Bengals beat KC. Our front 7 have not stepped up in the playoffs yet. That’s why they added Von and Floyd. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Except for this year where their two biggest FA signings were an OG/WR and their first two draft picks were TE/OG. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Except for this year where their two biggest FA signings were an OG/WR and their first two draft picks were TE/OG. 

Shush you’re mouth. LABILLBACKER. has been on this lack of offense kick for a while now. Even though we were 2nd in points per game scored last year.
You’re messing up his message. 😂

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If you sign Hopkins, all it will do is create more Diggs drama when Hopkins gets passes thrown his way.  

The Diggs drama wasn’t football related. Josh said so. The drama was created by Josh “ I can’t keep it in my pants” Allen.

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If you sign Hopkins, all it will do is create more Diggs drama when Hopkins gets passes thrown his way.  

Not if they win. Winning cures all. Diggs was one of the few players who looked pissed at the loss to the Bengals. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Shush you’re mouth. LABILLBACKER. has been on this lack of offense kick for a while now. Even though we were 2nd in points per game scored last year.
You’re messing up his message. 😂

I'm sorry....your right, all that matters is our regular season performance.  We're top 5 in offense and defense every year. What's not to like.  Who needs a championship.  Just entertain me......playoff results are irelavant. The true message is unfortunately too many fans are perfectly content with this narrative.  And that's frightening. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm sorry....your right, all that matters is our regular season performance.  We're top 5 in offense and defense every year. What's not to like.  Who needs a championship.  Just entertain me......playoff results are irelavant. The true message is unfortunately too many fans are perfectly content with this narrativeAnd that's frightening. 

Eureka!! You get it now. It is entertainment. Quit treating it like its life or death. Or don't. 

We're 4-5 in the playoffs under McD. 4-3 in the past 3 seasons. It's not like he's saying, "screw the playoffs, we had a great regular season". 

The fan who is content with this narrative wants a title too. We're just able to enjoy entertaining/winning football. 

Frightening?!?!? Kinda dramatic, no?   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Davis ain’t a reliable #2 option. 

I don't really buy that the Bills still think Gabe is a good enough #2 option.   I think some fans confuse the fact that they "like" Gabe with this idea that they think he's a stud.   KC paid MVS $10M+ aav to be their 3rd option in the passing game.    You can like a player and be willing to pay 8 figures per season without necessarily thinking they are a #1 or #2 option.   

I think they DID think Gabe was a tremendous WR2 waiting to break out at this point last offseason..........and that's why they didn't pursue a top 2 WR......but I think they know better now.    They aren't blind to his flaws.   They were eye-balling WR talent in round 1 and did pursue Hopkins this offseason.........and if 1 of those pursuits doesn't say plenty about what they think of Gabe as WR2 then the other does.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't really buy that the Bills still think Gabe is a good enough #2 option.   I think some fans confuse the fact that they "like" Gabe with this idea that they think he's a stud.   KC paid MVS $10M+ aav to be their 3rd option in the passing game.    You can like a player and be willing to pay 8 figures per season without necessarily thinking they are a #1 or #2 option.   

I think they DID think Gabe was a tremendous WR2 waiting to break out at this point last offseason..........and that's why they didn't pursue a top 2 WR......but I think they know better now.    They aren't blind to his flaws.   They were eye-balling WR talent in round 1 and did pursue Hopkins this offseason.........and if 1 of those pursuits doesn't say plenty about what they think of Gabe as WR2 then the other does.

The variance on Gabe Davis as a meh WR2 to a top tier WR3 is massive.  

I'm very concerned with him as WR2 going into the year. 

If he's our future WR3 @ an MVS cap number.. I am absolutely thrilled to keep him long term. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Eureka!! You get it now. It is entertainment. Quit treating it like its life or death. Or don't. 

We're 4-5 in the playoffs under McD. 4-3 in the past 3 seasons. It's not like he's saying, "screw the playoffs, we had a great regular season". 

The fan who is content with this narrative wants a title too. We're just able to enjoy entertaining/winning football. 

Frightening?!?!? Kinda dramatic, no?   

A Bills fan called me a “homer” recently because he’s convinced the Bills aren’t winning the division and will never win a title with McDermott and I’m disagreeing with him. I think the part the makes some of the “realists” upset is seeing other fans actually excited for the upcoming season while they won’t allow themselves to feel the same.

When did being a homer of your favourite team become a bad thing ? I was like “yeah I’m a homer, why aren’t you ?”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

!!! ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!!!

And it can’t be killed, run for your lives!!!

unless the endless loop of repetitive nonsense is your thing…

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well it's that, plus their "best case" scenario is that Davis is a super late-bloomer who has a monster 2023 and potentially plays himself out of their price range - either way they need to be lining up other options.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They were eye-balling WR talent in round 1 and did pursue Hopkins this offseason.........and if 1 of those pursuits doesn't say plenty about what they think of Gabe as WR2 then the other does.

They also openly flirted with OBJ near the end of last season, and Beane earlier this offseason in response to a question about Hopkins said something to the effect of "We still haven't closed the door on OBJ either" (before he signed with the Ravens). So yes he clearly understands we need an upgrade at WR2 and he hasn't been shy about admitting it. I don't know how any Bills fan looks at these pursuits and thinks the team is 100% satisfied with Davis.

I'm getting tired of Beane's recurring line - "if someone wants to come here and chase a Super Bowl, we would love to have them." The implication being that players like OBJ and Hopkins should accept less than they're worth because our organization is oh so great. It's an excuse that insults both the players and the fans. Von Miller didn't accept a discount. Beane knows what every player is really after. And everyone knows Hopkins is attainable if Beane pulls on the right strings. His public attitude of "oh well, what can we do?" is getting old. But somehow some fans still buy it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I agree with that today, but obviously the Bills disagree. 

Idk....I kinda lean more to what @BADOLBILZ mentioned few posts up....In that they did think that going into last season and had much confidence in Gabe that he was ready so was easy decision to give him much more playing time and definitely seemed the chance would be pretty damn good for him to be a good #2 

Now I'm not so sure they feel that same way. They know now he didn't quite turn out how they thought

Edit: Just to add, I don't think anyone can say it was bad decision etc. We all thought the same way, if not you're likely lying.

Edited by Patrick Duffy

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Personally, I think the Bills look at things in a different way.  Instead of being like the teams of Cincy, KC, etc where the top 2-3 options dominate targets; the Bills are looking to be more diverse/complimentary style offense.

We might legit have 5-6 players eclipse 500+ yards this season. Last year, KC had 4 (a RB being #4, McKinnon at 512 yards).  

Diggs, then spread the ball to our best mismatch has been what has been the strategy in building our WR/TE/RB room.  On any given play, we have 3-4 legit options that Josh can get to with his progressions.  Improved IOL play will help with him getting to those mismatches too.

Diggs, Davis, Knox are all likely locks for 500+.  Then I could easily see Kincaid, Harty, Shakir get that too.  Throw in Sherfield, and the pass catching ability of our backfield in Cook, Hines, and Harris; and this offense doesn't need a true #2.  That's been my point all offseason.  We finally have slot options, more speed, better IOL play for Josh.

Davis' targets from LY should in theory decrease.  He still might finish #2 in targets, but not by the margin of LY.  Kincaid, Harty, Shakir, etc will be what Dorsey had a vision with LY (and much better than McKenzie, Crowder, rookie Shakir).....Dorsey improving as a playcaller is a must, but also likely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They literally drafted a 1st round weapon for Josh Allen. The best pure OG in the 2nd round.

People need to understand they LIKE Gabe Davis. As much as we complain about him they think Gabe Davis is a good WR2. Anyone we draft or sign would be replacing Davis. 

Any WRs added would either move Gabe Davis to the bench or would be on the bench themselves.

Not really. Stef slot, Gabe & Nuk on outside. Kink at TE.

Even if they move Gabe to bench for some snaps, the guys a killer #3, and a drive killer #2.

Hes not opening up the field for his teammates, but he is able to eat a defense other players have opened up, thats literally a #3.

So, Stef & Nuk outside, Kink in the slot, while Gabe gets a breather. We can still like him and consider him a #3

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is fair…. Still, don’t think they should just throw up their hands and just go with what they have. Still plenty of time to get something done who’s an upgrade over Davis.

And they still might...maybe it's a waiting game for the time being. Or maybe also could be they want to see if something stands out at TC. I don't think that decision has been made yet to go with what they have

6 hours ago, Dopey said:

The Diggs drama wasn’t football related. Josh said so. The drama was created by Josh “ I can’t keep it in my pants” Allen.

This drama had nothing to do with Allens personal life, and it stemmed from how Diggs was being used the 2nd half of the season when his usage when noticeably down compared to the first half of the season.  Diggs has even discussed this in interviews how he felt like even though they still won, things were just harder and not going smoother like earlier in the year.  He was frustrated with his role decreasing while the struggles as an offense and team as a whole were increasing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I understand and I’ve said a million times why I disagree. 

yes you have.  Maybe more

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This drama had nothing to do with Allens personal life, and it stemmed from how Diggs was being used the 2nd half of the season when his usage when noticeably down compared to the first half of the season.  Diggs has even discussed this in interviews how he felt like even though they still won, things were just harder and not going smoother like earlier in the year.  He was frustrated with his role decreasing while the struggles as an offense and team as a whole were increasing.  

That seems like the case….

until Josh says that it’s not football related. Is it football related?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Josh saying that it’s not footbal relate RB could be = mcdermott saying he’s very concerned. 

truth is- we don’t know.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

yes you have.  Maybe more

That seems like the case….

until Josh says that it’s not football related. Is it football related?  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Josh saying that it’s not footbal relate RB could be = mcdermott saying he’s very concerned. 

truth is- we don’t know.

Personally, I think people took that too literally.  I mean by the very fact it was a football player at a mandatory camp unhappy with something that was related to himself and the team in some capacity means it is in some capacity a football related issue.  

Josh stating it wasn't football related I think had more to do with trying to calm all media hoopla that Diggs didn't want to be in Buffalo, Bills may need to trade him etc.  But everything credible that came out seemed it wasn't that serious, and had more to do with some things between him and most likely the offensive coaches.  Things like communication issues, concerns with how he was used second half of last year, etc.  

Either way, Josh has professed his love for Diggs many times now, and Diggs has shown that love back publicly too.  Whatever it was, it seems to be in the past and the relationship between Allen and Diggs seems to be just fine.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.