Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Pats are the only team stupid enough to consider paying DH.  They are desperate at WR, have lots of cap space, fans pressuring for signing, but no other team is willing to pay that amount.

DH don’t like to practice, he does not have Bills DNA imo.  No thank you to DH.  I like our WR group now, and I don’t think DH adds much we don’t already have

He catches the ball. That was a problem last year and everyone we brought in has not proved they can consistently do that on Sundays. We took the same gamble last year and it hurt us late in the season

• Agree 1

On 6/28/2023 at 9:14 PM, Augie said:

The tires are getting angry, at this point. 

And the price becomes more reasonable…..

😋

I think Beane has a standard $2million offer(approximately).

You want to play with Josh, and play for the Bills?  We offer $2million, and our offer stands.

It was good enough for Poona.  Poona wants to win the Super Bowl.  Same with Damian Harris.  Floyd and Rapp took less money to play for Buffalo.  They all want to be a Buffalo Bill, and they want to win a Superbowl, it’s not about $.

Hopkins seems obvious to me solely motivated by money.  Why else would he even consider signing with New England?

My guess is Beane pitched “do you wish to be a Buffalo Bill?  Here is a one year, $2million offer.  Sign it now, sign it later.  Buffalo Bills Super Bowl train is boarding soon”

I dig Beanes patient style and acumen.  Hopkins bargaining position is not good, weakening every day

20 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He catches the ball. That was a problem last year and everyone we brought in has not proved they can consistently do that on Sundays. We took the same gamble last year and it hurt us late in the season

So does Dalton Kincaid.

Bills will play 12 personnel often.

Josh, Diggs, 2 TE, 5 OL, RB__x

who is 2nd WR in this package?  Are you going to sub out Gabe for Hopkins(who can’t block)?

so in essence, DH would be a role player( DHdoesn’t play special teams either- stealing a roster spot of good NFL player, lower costs, more versatile, hungrier and younger)

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Pete said:

You want to play with Josh, and play for the Bills?  We offer $2million, and our offer stands.

It was good enough for Poona.  Poona wants to win the Super Bowl.  Same with Damian Harris.  Floyd and Rapp took less money to play for Buffalo.  They all want to be a Buffalo Bill, and they want to win a Superbowl, it’s not about $.

Hopkins seems obvious to me solely motivated by money.  Why else would he even consider signing with New England?

My guess is Beane pitched “do you wish to be a Buffalo Bill?  Here is a one year, $2million offer.  Sign it now, sign it later.  Buffalo Bills Super Bowl train is boarding soon”

I dig Beanes patient style and acumen.  Hopkins bargaining position is not good, weakening every day

So does Dalton Kincaid.

who is 2nd WR in this package?  Are you going to sub out Gabe for Hopkins(who can’t block)?

so in essence, DH would be a role player( DHdoesn’t play special teams either- stealing a roster spot of good NFL player, lower costs, more versatile, hungrier and younger)

Dalton hasn’t proved anything on Sunday. Zay Jones had great college hands, how’d it pan out on Sunday. You don’t know until they prove it. 
Gabe can sit on the bench behind Dhop the whole season. Loyalty only goes so far if your doing your job and Gabe has been very inconsistent 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

So does Dalton Kincaid.

I suspect the offer may be better than $2 mil, but agree with the premise Beane has made an offer and willing to wait him out.  Will that work out, we shall see.

If Hopkins were all about the money, he'd likely have already signed someplace, so do think he want's to go to a team like the Bills and both sides are playing a waiting game, maybe to meet in the middle, though likely much further from what Hop wanted and hoped to get.  Maybe ends up being a contract with a bunch of incentives thrown in.

Been talk too that Hopkins may wait out through training camp see if some team has a WR who gets hurt, then team may bump up offer.  I do think though in the case of Bills, if he's not signed by the 1st week of training camp, he's not coming here.  Doubt the Bills would sign him in late August barring a major injury.

Kincaid caught balls very well in college. The Bills hope that translates well to the NFL, but we don't know yet.  Stranger things have happened.  Overall the Bills would be a much stronger offense with Hopkins than without.  Your 12 personal description is great, as long as no one gets hurt or needs to sit out a play or two.  That's where Hopkins makes the team much stronger.

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Now that we’re at 143 pages, friendly reminder that many of you knuckleheads were clamoring to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for this free agent who remains unsigned.

Some wanted to trade a first!

To be fair to those who said they wanted to trade a pick..there was also some expectation of AZ paying some of his money in 2023

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

So the Pegulas bought John’s Hopkins University?  Did I hear that right?  Wow and now free tuition for Bills fans. Sweet 

Let me get this straight, the Pegulas bought Johns Hopkins University so they could add an apostrophe?!?! But… why?

10 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Some wanted to trade a first!

To be fair to those who said they wanted to trade a pick..there was also some expectation of AZ paying some of his money in 2023

Yeah, c'mon @Rigotz.........there are always a few fans with no concept of value............but the bulk of the educated discussion about trading for Hopkins was trading a pick in exchange for Arizona eating most of his base salary this season.    Like a third rounder in exchange for Arizona eating $14M of his $19M in base salary for 2023.    Some teams who aren't tight fisted like Arizona would do that.   It's basically what the Brandin Cooks trade from Houston to Dallas was.......draft capital for cap space so they could acquire a player who wasn't in the plans of the team holding his contract.    It's the NFL version of a "sign and trade".    

One thing we've generally understood all along was that Hopkins cap hit for 2023 was going to have to fall in the $5M or less range for Buffalo to swing it.   

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Now that we’re at 143 pages, friendly reminder that many of you knuckleheads were clamoring to trade a 2nd or 3rd round pick for this free agent who remains unsigned.

Still woulda been cool with a 3rd. To just frame it the way you did is a bit disingenuous. The compensation was reliant on Ariz eating contract, and us restructuring.

You wouldn't trade Dorian Williams to have DHop on a $5-7m cap hit?

Gabe and Nuk on outside. Stef in slot. Kincaid running routes from TE. 

This does nothing for you? One player majorly upgrades two spots from good to elite.

Stef- in slot, has a record year in recs, yds, tds, and 1st downs (members when we were elite with Cole '20)

Nuk- #1 outside. Getting same production as stef has on the outside

Gabe- now #3 deep option. The role he was born for!

Kincaid- eating up in the middle, yac machine bc the defense is as thin as it can possibly get

...... but this is "bad". If this is bad, you're truly too dug in to admit this offense is truely unstoppable. Oh and now we have a running game, and Hella re-tooled OL

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Threads not going away until Hopkins finally gets picked up somewhere, it is what it is.

Thats pretty pathetic when one gives it any iota of thought its like a bunch of guys hoping that the girl who dumped them and got married to someone else still secretly loves them, just sad…, 

7 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Still woulda been cool with a 3rd. To just frame it the way you did is a bit disingenuous. The compensation was reliant on Ariz eating contract, and us restructuring.

You wouldn't trade Dorian Williams to have DHop on a $5-7m cap hit?

Gabe and Nuk on outside. Stef in slot. Kincaid running routes from TE. 

This does nothing for you? One player majorly upgrades two spots from good to elite.

Stef- in slot, has a record year in recs, yds, tds, and 1st downs (members when we were elite with Cole '20)

Nuk- #1 outside. Getting same production as stef has on the outside

Gabe- now #3 deep option. The role he was born for!

Kincaid- eating up in the middle, yac machine bc the defense is as thin as it can possibly get

...... but this is "bad". If this is bad, you're truly too dug in to admit this offense is truely unstoppable. Oh and now we have a running game, and Hella re-tooled OL

I’d much rather have Diggs and Nuke outside, Kincaid in the slot and Knox running routes from TE.  It’s better for the run game and the pass game.  Kincaid isn’t ready to be TE1 due to his current lack of strength and blocking ability.  Gabe as great depth.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’d much rather have Diggs and Nuke outside, Kincaid in the slot and Knox running routes from TE.  It’s better for the run game and the pass game.  Kincaid isn’t ready to be TE1 due to his current lack of strength and blocking ability.  Gabe as great depth.   

I wouldnt cry about it either. Obv theyd use a bunch of packages. I just think getting Gabe on the field with Nuk/Diggs would be huge. Goes from a liability, to a serious threat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Virgil said:

All jokes aside, at this point it has to be about money and I wouldn't expect anything until the 3rd week of July

It's foolish for ppl to think there's no interest in him from teams. He's doing what anyone should do, gathering all his options, weighing pros and cons.

I don't think he goes to highest bidder If #2-3 can be close and provide a good scheme/fit/team. I 100% believe he goes to contender for a Lil less than say a NE would offer.

He's also a vet and plays hard. Dude doesn't wanna kill himself in training camp. He's a consummate pro and a baller on game day. I believe we're still in the mix but unlikely

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

And we all have it now. I despise this thread yet I come back to it everyday 

Because we all know that it’s possible that Beane steps up and offers something like 1 year 12M- 3 void years.  If he truly wanted to be in NE or Tenn, he’d be there.  He knows that signing with either team could be a terrible career decision.  Playing with undesirable QBs and in equally undesirable offenses could cripple his chances of making big money next year and/or ever winning a Super Bowl. Taking a few mill less this year could allow him to make a few mill

more next year…..and get himself a Lombardi. 

as guys sitting on a couch, it’s easy to think “he already has generational wealth, why not take less for one year for a good chance at a Lombardi”.  I think that’s why we’re all here.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.