Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

I have a lot of thoughts that I have been keeping to myself, in fear of just sounding too negative, but I am at the point of imploding.

If Hopkins goes to the freaking Patriots, then I feel like that team(aside from QB) is already better than The Bills on offense. Do I think Hops is better than Diggs? No, but their overall weapons vs ours, as a whole, would seem stronger.

I am just feeling disgruntled these days, because we finally have this elite QB who carries our team year in and out, but very little is done to help him get over the hump. Our best weapon is Diggs, and god forbid, what if he got hurt? Then what? We keep coming up short every year, and aren't doing really anything to get past teams like The Chiefs and Bengals, and now there are some other emerging teams, like The Jags etc Outside of Allen and Diggs, I feel like our offense doesn't compete with some of the other offenses in the AFC. I know The Chiefs are a little suspect, but they do have Kelce, and a solid group of receivers and solid offensive line. Obviously the Mahomes/Reid two headed monster is a huge part of their success.

I guess I just feel like Brandon Beane is too worried about the future and spending too much money and how it will impact the future, so instead we keep staying competitive but coming up short every year. I am worried Josh's best years are perpetually being wasted!

If Hopkins doesn't sign with us, and signs with a team like The Patriots or Ravens, I'm gonna be so sick. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Aimee75 said:

I have a lot of thoughts that I have been keeping to myself, in fear of just sounding too negative, but I am at the point of imploding.

If Hopkins goes to the freaking Patriots, then I feel like that team(aside from QB) is already better than The Bills on offense. Do I think Hops is better than Diggs? No, but their overall weapons vs ours, as a whole, would seem stronger.

I am just feeling disgruntled these days, because we finally have this elite QB who carries our team year in and out, but very little is done to help him get over the hump. Our best weapon is Diggs, and god forbid, what if he got hurt? Then what? We keep coming up short every year, and aren't doing really anything to get past teams like The Chiefs and Bengals, and now there are some other emerging teams, like The Jags etc Outside of Allen and Diggs, I feel like our offense doesn't compete with some of the other offenses in the AFC. I know The Chiefs are a little suspect, but they do have Kelce, and a solid group of receivers and solid offensive line. Obviously the Mahomes/Reid two headed monster is a huge part of their success.

I guess I just feel like Brandon Beane is too worried about the future and spending too much money and how it will impact the future, so instead we keep staying competitive but coming up short every year. I am worried Josh's best years are perpetually being wasted!

If Hopkins doesn't sign with us, and signs with a team like The Patriots or Ravens, I'm gonna be so sick. 

Hmmmm. Really? Care to explain that more? 

4 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

The Pats would be better than us on offense? Hmm nope!

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hmmmm. Really? Care to explain that more? 

I said what I said. I think they would have an overall more solid offense. Great rb. JuJu is pretty solid. Gesicki? Same. Hopkins??? I think they are in contention with their overall talent, even with freaking Mac Jones or Baily Zappe at QB. A decent qb with a lot of talent around him can make a team scary.

Does this mean that is how it will play out? No, we won't really know until the season starts, but I don't like the idea of us having Allen and Diggs keeping this team afloat for the 4th season in a row.

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Pats would be better than us on offense? Hmm nope!

I already said Mac or Zappe is not equal to Allen, but an overall solid offense vs two star players carrying a team? That is how I feel, and how I have felt for a couple years now. Outside of Allen and Diggs, we have Davis?? Knox(I love Knox btw) whom IMHO is hit or miss. We have Kincaid, and he might be great, but he's a rookie, and I don't want to get my hopes too high over a rookie.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Dorsey: "Oh yeah? Hold my beer"

1st and 10 - pass for 5 yards incomplete

2nd and 10 - pass for 47 yards incomplete

3rd and 10 - allen scramble for 8 yards

4th and 2 - pass for 31 yards incomplete.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 8

2 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I already said Mac or Zappe is not equal to Allen, but an overall solid offense vs two star players carrying a team? That is how I feel, and how I have felt for a couple years now. Outside of Allen and Diggs, we have Davis?? Knox(I love Knox btw) whom IMHO is hit or miss. We have Kincaid, and he might be great, but he's a rookie, and I don't want to get my hopes too high over a rookie.

This narrative that the Bills have zero or very little offensive talent outside of Allen or Diggs is ridiculous. The Pats offense isn't that great. Are Stevenson and a bunch of mediocre RB's that much better than Cook/Hines/Harris? I would argue comparing apples to apples at RB I would take the Bills but even a pessimistic look at the Bills probably yields you to put RB as a push. TE is probably a push between the two units as well and you could with the addition of Kincaid and the regression of Henry argue the Bills are better. Hunter Henry has not been great for the Pats but he is solid and they added Gesicki. That's pretty comparable to Knox and Kincaid the best TE coming out of the draft. 

With the Bills revamp of the interior O-line I think both O-lines are pretty comparable. The Pats had an average O-line in 2022 certainly better than the Bills. But the Pats didn't add much to their O-line this past off-season. The Bills added one of the better free agent guards and the best guard in the draft along with some depth additions. 

WR is also pretty comparable. The Pats WR room isn't exactly a bunch of world-beaters. Bourne is a nice WR3, Parker a bit past his prime is more of a complementary player than a stud WR2, Ju Ju is a nice player but not a world-beater and the rest of the Pats WR room are mostly JAGS. Is Parker/Bourne/Ju Ju really all that much better than Diggs/Davis/Hardy or Shakir? Even if the Pats added Hopkins I don't see their WR room despite having a bit more proven depth being all that much better than the Bills.

Generally speaking, I would take what the Bills have at RB/TE and push at the offensive line positions to be generous. At WR without D-Hop on the Pats I would take the Bills easily, if the Pats added D-Hop I would then take the Pats WR room in totality but not by a wide margin. I just think you are massively overrating the Pats talent level and underrating the Bills talent level outside Diggs/Allen.

I said what I said. I think they would have an overall more solid offense. Great rb. JuJu is pretty solid. Gesicki? Same. Hopkins??? I think they are in contention with their overall talent, even with freaking Mac Jones or Baily Zappe at QB. A decent qb with a lot of talent around him can make a team scary.

Does this mean that is how it will play out? No, we won't really know until the season starts, but I don't like the idea of us having Allen and Diggs keeping this team afloat for the 4th season in a row.

I love the idea of Allen and Diggs keeping it afloat, Patriots roaster is decent and in no way as good as the Bills roster IMHO. 

Allen is so much better than any QB the Patriots are going to trot out there that even if they actually had a better roster it wouldn’t be enough to overcome 17.

The Dolphins and Jets might actually have better rosters than Buffalo and both have legit QB options and yet it’s still not enough to knock Buffalo outta the favourites seat for the division.

1 hour ago, boyst said:

You forgot about the draw play out of shotgun, immediately after the first down incompletion, that gained two yards but was negated by holding call on one/both of our guards.

If one of those stars is the qb it’s by default better than the no stars but balanced offense. Yet alone a balanced one where the bills are very near as good or better at all the positions 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This narrative that the Bills have zero or very little offensive talent outside of Allen or Diggs is ridiculous. The Pats offense isn't that great. Are Stevenson and a bunch of mediocre RB's that much better than Cook/Hines/Harris? I would argue comparing apples to apples at RB I would take the Bills but even a pessimistic look at the Bills probably yields you to put RB as a push. TE is probably a push between the two units as well and you could with the addition of Kincaid and the regression of Henry argue the Bills are better. Hunter Henry has not been great for the Pats but he is solid and they added Gesicki. That's pretty comparable to Knox and Kincaid the best TE coming out of the draft. 

With the Bills revamp of the interior O-line I think both O-lines are pretty comparable. The Pats had an average O-line in 2022 certainly better than the Bills. But the Pats didn't add much to their O-line this past off-season. The Bills added one of the better free agent guards and the best guard in the draft along with some depth additions. 

WR is also pretty comparable. The Pats WR room isn't exactly a bunch of world-beaters. Bourne is a nice WR3, Parker a bit past his prime is more of a complementary player than a stud WR2, Ju Ju is a nice player but not a world-beater and the rest of the Pats WR room are mostly JAGS. Is Parker/Bourne/Ju Ju really all that much better than Diggs/Davis/Hardy or Shakir? Even if the Pats added Hopkins I don't see their WR room despite having a bit more proven depth being all that much better than the Bills.

Generally speaking, I would take what the Bills have at RB/TE and push at the offensive line positions to be generous. At WR without D-Hop on the Pats I would take the Bills easily, if the Pats added D-Hop I would then take the Pats WR room in totality but not by a wide margin. I just think you are massively overrating the Pats talent level and underrating the Bills talent level outside Diggs/Allen.

It’s not that they have little talent, it’s that outside Diggs and Allen they are very inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BananaB said:

It’s not that they have little talent, it’s that outside Diggs and Allen they are very inconsistent. 

Most team's skill position players are rarely consistent after their top 1-2 players, it is very rare that a team has 3 consistent skill position players. The Bills do need someone after Diggs that can be a consistent threat but to act like the Pats have that many if any consistent skill positions players is lunacy. 

2 hours ago, boyst said:

McKenzie drops the ball on 1st and 10

Davis drops the 47-yard pass into his hands

Spencer Brown and Saffold both blow their blocks, leading to the 31-yard incompletion.

So there's hope this year!

53 minutes ago, BananaB said:

This.

Also, my whole point is I don't think we have enough talent outside of Allen and Diggs, compared to other teams. I feel like people are just focusing on my thoughts on the Patriots and how I feel their offense might look with Hopkins. I know The Bills will probably go in and do what they always do, win games, score a lot of points etc It's that I don't know that we have enough to get past teams like The Bengals and Chiefs. I was honestly hoping Beane would work on making this offense unstoppanle in the offseason, and forget about the defense. We went to the AFCCG in 2020 with a mid(being generous here) defense and explosive offense. We already know Diggs will be double covered, and then we gotta rely on Davis and hoping he can relive that 2021 divisional game magic? Maybe he does. Maybe Shakir breaks out. Who knows? I just wish there were more done this offseason. JMHO.

32 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

That whole article is regurgitating information from weeks and even months ago about both Hopkins and Cook. It adds literally no new information. While I don't think it's a simple clickbait article it's clearly a "I don't have anything new to write about" article. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Love the mindset.  Not that I have two yard Frank Gore runs on 2nd and 10 on my mind under Daboll.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boyst said:

1 hour ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

You forgot about the draw play out of shotgun, immediately after the first down incompletion, that gained two yards but was negated by holding call on one/both of our guards.

We must have really been terrible last year.  Well we were the 2nd worst offense in the league.  Oh wait I'm reading that upside down! 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

Ludicrous

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Most team's skill position players are rarely consistent after their top 1-2 players, it is very rare that a team has 3 consistent skill position players. The Bills do need someone after Diggs that can be a consistent threat but to act like the Pats have that many if any consistent skill positions players is lunacy. 

I never said anything about the Pats. We just need more consistency after Allen and Diggs. They don’t need huge numbers, just be reliable when called upon. Like Beasley

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How do we know he's been offered a decent amount of guaranteed money by anyone at this point

Well if Tennessee and New England weren't offering a decent amount of guaranteed money, that would probably mean we don't even have an offer to him at all or are offering straight up nothing guaranteed. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 hours ago, Heitz said:

Posters opinions be like:

Unknown.jpeg.a4c41006b7a7fa393942acfe7a0ba32c.jpeg

Okay, if Diggs were to get hurt and be out, you still feeling good about the offense? I for one am not. My opinion though, and I am standing by it. Allen and Diggs carry the offense, and make the offense look a hell of a lot better than it would be without either of them. If that makes my opinion "ludicrous", then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

Okay, if Diggs were to get hurt and be out, you still feeling good about the offense? I for one am not. My opinion though, and I am standing by it. Allen and Diggs carry the offense, and make the offense look a hell of a lot better than it would be without either of them. If that makes my opinion "ludicrous", then so be it.

Almost every single NFL teams offense will take a massive step back losing their QB or WR1. The Bills still need to explore options to get another consistent playmaker but it sis rather obvious that your top playmakers are what drives your offense 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

I agree with you for sure about them carrying the offense.

But to play the devil's advocate, look at what Mahomes was still able to do after he lost Tyreek.  I know he said it as a joke but it was partially true that he "had to start looking for other receivers as his first read".

Yes, having Kelce more than makes up for that but when you look at how the Giants were able to be competitive with less than stellar receiving core, it made it harder for teams to plan against who was "that guys" you have to shut down.

It would be interesting to see how it would play out is all I'm saying and would prefer diggs on the field as opposed to off it.

• Like (+1) 1

The below is from an ESPN article by Bill Barnwell today ranking every NFL team's offensive weapons. For comparison, he has the Jets at 22 and KC at 19. I pretty much agree with the ranking. If Diggs goes down, this offense will be in trouble. Too bad Hopkins only seems to care about the money

20. Buffalo Bills

2022 rank: 10 | 2021 rank: 9

This is a major downgrade for the Bills, who didn't get a breakout season from any of their young playmakers last season. Gabe Davis, who was coming off a four-touchdown game against the Chiefs in the playoffs, was able to catch only 51.6% of his passes and garner targets on 17.7% of his routes. His style is always going to trade middling efficiency for big plays, but he didn't hit home runs frequently enough in 2022. He has to be something more than Buffalo's version of Marquise Valdes-Scantling in a contract year.

Dawson Knox also failed to build on his impressive step forward in 2021, as his touchdown rate regressed back to earth. A Buffalo front office that was reportedly trying to add a tight end to supplement Knox before that season finally got its man this offseason, using a first-round pick on Dalton Kincaid. I'm excited about Kincaid's long-term potential, but rookie tight ends almost always fail to live up to lofty expectations.

Neither Devin Singletary nor James Cook won the starting job at running back, while a midseason trade for Nyheim Hines delivered a total of 50 yards from scrimmage in nine games. General manager Brandon Beane wisely swapped out Singletary for power back Damien Harris this offseason, with the Bills hoping to pound light boxes as the Chiefs did with Isiah Pacheco last season. Harris struggled to stay healthy in New England, but the hope will undoubtedly be that he can contribute in a 150-carry role.

So much of how this offense goes depends on quarterback Josh Allen and receiver Stefon Diggs, and the former isn't included in this debate. This is a tier of teams with one star wide receiver and questions around that player, and it's hard to argue that the teams ahead of Buffalo in these rankings don't have better options for possible breakouts on their 2023 rosters.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

We must have really been terrible last year.  Well we were the 2nd worst offense in the league.  Oh wait I'm reading that upside down! 

2nd series

1st and 10 - Singleterry runs 8 yards

2nd and 10 - Singleterry runs for 17 - holding Scaffold on opposite side of the play

2nd and 20 - Allen scramble for 17 yards

3rd and 3 - pass to McKenzie - 12 yards - incomplete

4th and 3 - pass to Knox - 2 yard screen.

Turnover on downs.

12 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

Aimee,

Wutcha goin through?

I think Im inclined,  to disagree with you.

Try again, maybe harder - we wont mind it if you do....

We ain't signing Dehop, I guess we're through

Edited by gobills1212
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

Bills can cut Neal & extend Jones and have enough to sign Nuk and have a few million for the season. Sign Neal back after week 1 if they wish for a minimum contract 

When it comes to another DT extension after Oliver's, I get the feeling Beane's going to want to see how Daquan Jones, Poona Ford, and Jordan Phillips play and hold up throughout the season before extending one of them. 

As for Neal, he's a favorite amongst posters to clear cap. But he's also a favorite of the coaching staff and the locker room. He's our only other Nickel CB besides Taron Johnson, our only Big Nickel, and a core Special Teams player. There's a reason they gave him the contract they did. He's not going anywhere.

And Beane doesn't do extensions that aren't in his plans or release players at other positions simply to make a move on a Free Agent. That's not how he operates.

6 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I agree with you for sure about them carrying the offense.

But to play the devil's advocate, look at what Mahomes was still able to do after he lost Tyreek.  I know he said it as a joke but it was partially true that he "had to start looking for other receivers as his first read".

Yes, having Kelce more than makes up for that but when you look at how the Giants were able to be competitive with less than stellar receiving core, it made it harder for teams to plan against who was "that guys" you have to shut down.

It would be interesting to see how it would play out is all I'm saying and would prefer diggs on the field as opposed to off it.

I think what happened with Mahomes last season, and losing Tyreek, is what is giving other teams(including us) hope, but going into last season I felt we had the better overall offense than KC. As the season went on, I started to feel differently. None of KC's receivers were on Diggs level, but they were a pretty solid overall group. I thought they were better than Davis. I know Davis was hurt a lot last season, and had ankle issues, but I still thought last year was a big disappointment.

The Giants last year reminded me a little of our 2019 season. 

5 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Aimee,

Wutcha goin through?

I think Im inclined,  to disagree with you.

Try again, maybe harder - we wont mind it if you do....

We ain't signing Dehop, I guess we're through

That's fine, but at least I am on the same page as Bill Barnwell. Bill Barnwell and I can be ludicrous together. 

5 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

I think what happened with Mahomes last season, and losing Tyreek, is what is giving other teams(including us) hope, but going into last season I felt we had the better overall offense than KC. As the season went on, I started to feel differently. None of KC's receivers were on Diggs level, but they were a pretty solid overall group. I thought they were better than Davis. I know Davis was hurt a lot last season, and had ankle issues, but I still thought last year was a big disappointment.

The Giants last year reminded me a little of our 2019 season. 

That's fine, but at least I am on the same page as Bill Barnwell. Bill Barnwell and I can be ludicrous together. 

Thank you for your response, but I was just singing a song. Im kinda sad I had to explain.  That said, enjoy! Maybe itll make you a bit happier...or at least a little less.... ugh?

Edited by gobills1212

I would assume the Bills are offering 8-11 mil on a one year deal. I doubt that will work.

I have a feeling D HOP is looking to skip camp and show up a few days before the first game. That won't work either 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think he'd be a Bill if we offered that

The guy doesn't like practice so he will probably let it play out hoping for a training camp injury on another team  

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I would assume the Bills are offering 8-11 mil on a one year deal. I doubt that will work.

I have a feeling D HOP is looking to skip camp and show up a few days before the first game. That won't work either 

That offer sounds about right but I am not so sure Dhop wants to skip all of camp with a new team, i think he would want at least part of a pre season to get ready for the season and get a grip on a new system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.