Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I k now about Von's deal, but when he came it was clear he could have done better in areas where he preferred to live.  He got great dough, yes, but he came or the rings.

You're the second to tell me I'm wrong about Hill.  I'm convinced without more.  Thanks.  

Again with due respect, I think you are overselling how much it was just about winning. He is making a ton of money and is on a team that has a chance to make the SB. So it was a win win for him but he won’t be here if we offered hind $15 million/ year.

the tough part is while Von was the bigger name, Matthew Judon was the player we should have targeted. Younger, cheaper, and ascending. Hopefully, von stays healthy because there are some bad patterns developing.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again with due respect, I think you are overselling how much it was just about winning. He is making a ton of money and is on a team that has a chance to make the SB. So it was a win win for him but he won’t be here if we offered hind $15 million/ year.

the tough part is while Von was the bigger name, Matthew Judon was the player we should have targeted. Younger, cheaper, and ascending. Hopefully, von stays healthy because there are some bad patterns developing.

I didn't say it was just about winning.   I said he chose winning over other factors, because from the things he said, of the teams that were after him, the Bills played in the last city he wanted to be in.  He said he preferred Texas, LA and Denver.   And after tax, the money was better in all those places.  He gave up things to pursue winning.  That's all I meant to say.  

As for Judon, I agree, but I think that's only in a vacuum.   The Bills consider their longer term plan, and I think the tentative plan is to make Rousseau a star and pay him.  (Remember, their mantra is to draft and retain talent.)  Von's contract will be largely done, and will not renewed, when Rousseau comes due.   Now, you may think that Judon is the better talent (I think he probably is), but also there's no guarantee the Bills would get him.  We don't know what the Bills' thought about Rousseau 15 months ago when they got Miller, but I'd bet their thinking was something along these lines.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't say it was just about winning.   I said he chose winning over other factors, because from the things he said, of the teams that were after him, the Bills played in the last city he wanted to be in.  He said he preferred Texas, LA and Denver.   And after tax, the money was better in all those places.  He gave up things to pursue winning.  That's all I meant to say.  

As for Judon, I agree, but I think that's only in a vacuum.   The Bills consider their longer term plan, and I think the tentative plan is to make Rousseau a star and pay him.  (Remember, their mantra is to draft and retain talent.)  Von's contract will be largely done, and will not renewed, when Rousseau comes due.   Now, you may think that Judon is the better talent (I think he probably is), but also there's no guarantee the Bills would get him.  We don't know what the Bills' thought about Rousseau 15 months ago when they got Miller, but I'd bet their thinking was something along these lines.  

Well not LA for taxes 😉

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well not LA for taxes 😉

Or cost of living.   

But Texas, where he lives, would have saved him a lot.  

Whatever.  I'm glad he came, and as you or someone else said, for most guys, it's the money not the winning. 

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Or cost of living.   

But Texas, where he lives, would have saved him a lot.  

Whatever.  I'm glad he came, and as you or someone else said, for most guys, it's the money not the winning. 

With football and how they treat players with non guaranteed money, it has to be about the money. I guess the way to think about it are the Titans like $6 million/ year worse than the Bills? If I was Hopkins, I won’t think so.

His full contract details were published today:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/deandre-hopkins-12307/

$3.6 million cap hit in 2023, $15.9 million cap hit in 2024 (which almost certainly will not actually come to fruition), 3 void years after that.

Personally I think this was very doable for the Bills if they had been willing to let a few Tim Settles and Nyheim Hines go. There is a lot of flexibility in those contract figures. We conceivably could have given him more in year one than the Titans did to minimize the future cap impact. We would have had to tie ourselves to Hopkins for likely a minimum of three years when all was said and done, so yes there would have been some risk there. But it would have been doable. It is not a way out of line impossible to match structure like a lot of fans assumed it would be.

This topic is dead for now. But if our offense struggles to find consistent efficient production from anyone behind Diggs throughout the season and into the playoffs there is going to be a lot of scrutiny over Beane failing to fit in this contract, especially if Hopkins continues to perform well.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

$3.6 million cap hit in 2023, $15.9 million cap hit in 2024 (which almost certainly will not actually come to fruition), 3 void years after that.

Personally I think this was very doable for the Bills if they had been willing to let a few Tim Settles and Nyheim Hines go. There is a lot of flexibility in those contract figures. We conceivably could have given him more in year one than the Titans did to minimize the future cap impact. We would have had to tie ourselves to Hopkins for likely a minimum of three years when all was said and done, so yes there would have been some risk there. But it would have been doable. It is not a way out of line impossible to match structure like a lot of fans assumed it would be.

This topic is dead for now. But if our offense struggles to find consistent efficient production from anyone behind Diggs throughout the season and into the playoffs there is going to be a lot of scrutiny over Beane failing to fit in this contract, especially if Hopkins continues to perform well.

When it’s week 10 and we are bringing in bums like Kenny Golladay off the street, I’m gonna be so mad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

So I heard a rumor about taxes being a favor in his decision

so I’m wondering if Buffalo price tag was higher because NY state takes more?

just wondering I don’t actually know but it’s a sizable chunk 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.