Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Chiefs have at least invested at the position with Toney and Moore…. Meanwhile the Bills have Davis, and late round Shakir/Shorter and a couple JAGs…. They’ve put WR on the back burner the last two years but if you want to ignore it by all means. 

Never said disaster… it’s about winning a SB and they won’t come close with an injury to Diggs or Davis and the current group as constructed…but continue with your often terrible and off predictions! 👍🏻

Honestly, what the Chiefs have done with their receivers is not really that impressive to me. But you are right they are investing picks and making trades do improve it. But I think are receivers are better. I just think Mahomes is at a different level and him/ Reid can cover for their lack of talent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, what the Chiefs have done with their receivers is not really that impressive to me. But you are right they are investing picks and making trades do improve it. But I think are receivers are better. I just think Mahomes is at a different level and him/ Reid can cover for their lack of talent. 

Their OL is also at different level then the Bills. I believe they were #2 last year and the Bills were #26. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Chiefs have at least invested at the position with Toney and Moore…. Meanwhile the Bills have Davis, and late round Shakir/Shorter and a couple JAGs…. They’ve put WR on the back burner the last two years but if you want to ignore it by all means. 

Never said disaster… it’s about winning a SB and they won’t come close with an injury to Diggs or Davis and the current group as constructed…but continue with your often terrible and off predictions! 👍🏻

If Toney and Skyy Moore count as investments that show high prioritization relative to the Bills'additions...

I wouldn't trade Shakir, Harty and sherfield for Moore and Toney

I want better receivers too but your "at least the chiefs" stretch just tore your groin 

2 hours ago, nucci said:

what's wrong with that? They all want the most money. Their careers are short. Can you guarantee the Bills will win but the Titans won't? Do you want every free agent to sign with the top teams?

Well, he said one thing and did something else. Thats whats wrong with that. I didnt say anything about the Bills, and I never was on the bring him in train.

Him going to Tenn feels like a win for us. I don't think we were ever gonna make the cap room to bring him here once he had been released and Tenn are not potential contender for any more than sneaking into the playoffs in 2023 even with him. 

And I think we get a year off from the Titans this year too, right?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

39 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well we didn’t win rings either. Brown was certifiably crazy and Watt was a broken player at the end of his career. Hopkins was super productive and never relied on speed. He still is a really really good player. 

Or he could have gotten a great contract with a team that was 7-3 last year with garbage receivers, that just has a better record than us the previous year. 

The Titans only played 10 games last year? 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

McB will no longer have the luxury of ignoring the WR position.  Diggs because of age & attitude may have limited time. I have no faith in 53% Gabe Davis. We absolutely must draft 2 wrs in the first 3 rounds. And one has to hit.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The legend of Harty and Sherfield are approaching Tavon Austin territory😅…. And Shakir has proven nothing. 

Id take the potential of both Moore and Toney over Shakir/Harty/Sherfield… Chiefs also have arguably the best line in football. 

So would I but that is the Chiefs #2 and #3 receiver compared to our #3, #4 and #5 receiver. I'd take Diggs and Gabe over any receiver the Chiefs have. 

Of course their best receiver is their tight end, so you can argue that it evens out but Dawson Knox was the Bills 3rd receiver last year (level with McKenzie in targets but ahead in receptions, yards and TDs) and the Bills have added Kincaid to the mix too. I think Toney and Moore are better bets than the three guys you list.... but they are still pretty big gambles and they are going into the season as starters. 

Not debating their line at all.... LG-RT they are really strong. Their left tackle is going to be their weakness but from Left Guard along I'd take their line over anyone else's.

Edited by GunnerBill

52 minutes ago, arcane said:

If Toney and Skyy Moore count as investments that show high prioritization relative to the Bills'additions...

I wouldn't trade Shakir, Harty and sherfield for Moore and Toney

I want better receivers too but your "at least the chiefs" stretch just tore your groin 

Toney was a recent RD1 pick and Moore a recent RD2 pick.

The stretch is you saying you wouldn't trade a recent RD5 pick and two journeyman WR's for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or he could have gotten a great contract with a team that was 7-3 last year with garbage receivers, that just has a better record than us the previous year. 

You're right.  He's going to a team that has a shot.  Not a top contender, but if things fall right, he could be happy in January.  

I can't say there are many great receivers I really like, as people or personalities or teammates.  Not OBJ, not DHop, even Diggs rankles me.  I admire their great skill, but I always wonder if they make their teams better.  DHop had Watson and Murray as QBs, and they didn't win.  Lots of reasons, maybe, but he was the answer for neither team.  I wish him well, but I'll be surprised if he makes one of those QBs an all-star.  OBJ, too.  The one success OBJ had was as a role player with the Rams. 

I like Tyreek Hill.   He just goes out and does his job.  He knows he's a special talent, but he never seems to make it about Tyreek.  

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You're right.  He's going to a team that has a shot.  Not a top contender, but if things fall right, he could be happy in January.  

I can't say there are many great receivers I really like, as people or personalities or teammates.  Not OBJ, not DHop, even Diggs rankles me.  I admire their great skill, but I always wonder if they make their teams better.  DHop had Watson and Murray as QBs, and they didn't win.  Lots of reasons, maybe, but he was the answer for neither team.  I wish him well, but I'll be surprised if he makes one of those QBs an all-star.  OBJ, too.  The one success OBJ had was as a role player with the Rams. 

I like Tyreek Hill.   He just goes out and does his job.  He knows he's a special talent, but he never seems to make it about Tyreek.  

Actually DHop with Watson made the playoffs each year they were both there (with the exception of Watson's rookie season where he tore his ACL after 4 games) and then in Arizona his one full season with Murray they were a playoff team. He didn't win a Superbowl, sure, but he helped those teams be better and win football games, for sure and I am not aware that he has ever been a malign influence in the locker room. I don't think he belongs lumped in with OBJ. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

While this is a nice theoretical analysis of Hopkins's bank account your point really is moot.

Yes, in theory he "could have" joined whatever team he wanted. But why would he do that? Why would he subject his body to the rigors of an NFL season without proper compensation? Would you take significantly less than your value to work for a company because at the end of the year they MAY win a team accomplishment? Without knowing what (and more to the point IF teams like the Bills or Chiefs offered) we have no idea how far apart any offers may have been. 

So the Titans offered $26M over 2 years. Let's say hypothetically Beane offered $14M over the same length. Why in the world would anyone expect him to take that? For a ring? Fans really still think most players care about winning a championship ring above all else? That's a fairy tale, my friend. Right up there with the rest of the PR things guys say when they sign with a team.

Now, if the money is close...sure maybe a ring opportunity comes into play. Same scenario as above where Tenn offers 2/26M and Buffalo comes in at 2/22M...ok. But no one should take below their market value. Be it in the NFL, in corporate world or even working at a local fast food joint. 

***Edit: just saw your replies to others that came when I was typing this. 

Yeah, I don't disagree.   Not everyone chases a ring, and even if they are looking for a ring, the dollars still are important.   

But some guys are different. 

Von Miller came to Buffalo, and he could have done better elsewhere.  He could have been closer to home, in a friendlier tax environment (which in his case could have been worth a million alone), in a warmer climate, and still on a contender.  

Chris Paul's contract may not have changed, but he wouldn't agree to go to just any team to be a backup point guard.   He's happy to be in Golden State for one reason: a shot at a ring. 

Brady played for less for several seasons in New England.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Right, it's not debatable, because it's correct.

Good job with the straw man, there, though.

But again, having winning the Super Bowl being your goal and deciding that your method for winning the Super Bowl is being competitive every year is simply NOT in opposition. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Allen saying he wants to win a Super Bowl does NOT mean he has a problem with doing it Beane's way.

Not a strawman. It's an example of exactly what I'm talking about. The Rams decided that winning a Super Bowl was more important than being competitive every year...which means the two can (obviously) stand  in opposition.

The bolded is, tho. Nobody said Allen has a problem w Beane's way.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually DHop with Watson made the playoffs each year they were both there (with the exception of Watson's rookie season where he tore his ACL after 4 games) and then in Arizona his one full season with Murray they were a playoff team. He didn't win a Superbowl, sure, but he helped those teams be better and win football games, for sure and I am not aware that he has ever been a malign influence in the locker room. I don't think he belongs lumped in with OBJ. 

Fair enough.  I didn't recall that his playoff history was that good.   And you're right, at least publicly, he's never seemed to be a true prima donna.   Part of my view about him is from his on-field body language - he has an ego that might very well have clashed with Diggs.  And I have to think that there's some reason two teams have decided they don't need him.  

On the other hand, he's an exceptional talent.  Outshined Sammy Watkins from the get go, and has one of the best collections of highlight-reel catches of all time.   The guy has been phenomenal.  

Hopkins and Diggs.. somehow we’d have the only 1/2 punch in the league that can’t get one YAC

I’m glad he’s in TENN. of course he came to the AFC, who doesn’t.., but Tennessee isn’t anywhere close to competing at the top level right now. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.