Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There were some hints of criticism of Edmunds by Beane before the final year of his rookie deal.  Specifically when it came to being slower to react to plays at times.  I didn't hear any of that with Gabe.  Regardless, I think they offer him maybe 3 years 33 million or something like that.  If he doesn't take it then they'll just let the season play out.

I think you are in the ballpark for Davis. I had a 10-12 million dollar pay range. I could see a team offering more if he has a nice year. 

So here's the question. Assuming the Bills did their due diligence, would you rather have DHop for a similar contract than Davis might get next year? 

I'm pretty sure Dhop woukd have jumped on a 3 year 33 million dollar offer. 

To me it's a no brainer. DHop is the clear winner hands down. He gives the Bills the absolute best chance to advance further.  The only real advantage is getting Davis on the cheap for this year. That does have some merit. 

59 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are in the ballpark for Davis. I had a 10-12 million dollar pay range. I could see a team offering more if he has a nice year. 

So here's the question. Assuming the Bills did their due diligence, would you rather have DHop for a similar contract than Davis might get next year? 

I'm pretty sure Dhop woukd have jumped on a 3 year 33 million dollar offer. 

To me it's a no brainer. DHop is the clear winner hands down. He gives the Bills the absolute best chance to advance further.  The only real advantage is getting Davis on the cheap for this year. That does have some merit. 

Unless it was all guaranteed I don't see him jumping at that offer.  

• Disagree 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

Based on what?  He’s signing a deal that could pay him 15M this season.

Based on he gets a three year contract vs a two year contract. Also, he gets to have Allen as his QB and contend for a SB. These are pretty enticing positives for an aging veteran WR. 

The Bills could have built in incentives as well. 

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Based on he gets a three year contract vs a two year contract. Also, he gets to have Allen as his QB and contend for a SB. These are pretty enticing positives for an aging veteran WR. 

It’s official. You’ve gone off the deep end🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This is not even debatable tbh

If you can't see how the Rams Super Bowl was in opposition to being competitive every year I don't know what to say

Right, it's not debatable, because it's correct.

Good job with the straw man, there, though.

But again, having winning the Super Bowl being your goal and deciding that your method for winning the Super Bowl is being competitive every year is simply NOT in opposition. That is a fact, not an opinion.

Allen saying he wants to win a Super Bowl does NOT mean he has a problem with doing it Beane's way.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I remember Beane saying that. My question is would acquiring Dhop at a similar cost really be considered a tear down? How disruptive would it be? Risk vs reward I'm sure was considered. 

What hasn't really been addressed in all of this is the Bills current number 2 WR. Gabe Davis is certainly going to get paid. WR 2s are getting big paychecks.  Frankly, he is younger but not even close to the league of Dhop. Are the Bills planning to pay him or let him walk for nothing? 

I would havd been fine with dumping Davis for some decent value and replacing him with Dhop. 

It wouldn't "be considered" a tear down. But yeah, it very likely would have forced them to start making decisions that they didn't want to make that would have seriously impacted. Again, they're already $25 to $41M over the cap next year. Adding very significantly to that 

Agreed that risk v. reward is a consideration, but so is price for this guy vs. guys we'd have to give up down the road instead. This close to the weeds, it's likely the bigger consideration.

The Davis move has absolutely been addressed here, even in this thread. Davis may already not be here, depending on how he does and how much he gets in the next contract. We might not be able to afford him even without the extra expense of Hopkins. 

Hopkins is very likely going to be better this year, that's not a sure thing but likely. But he's already on the way downhill, and Davis is still heading up. Davis will likely either end up here or end up getting us another nice high comp pick, helping us in future years when Hopkins will likely be headed quickly towards a nice announcing gig or a podcast somewhere.

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Thank GOD this is over. 

Yup. While not over, it's at least running out of gas. That's been the overwhelming likelihood for a long time now, but many just didn't see it, or at least want to see it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

There is one thing that is patently clear — DHop was all about where he could get the most money, not where he could win a Super Bowl.  To argue otherwise is foolhardy.  Your “aging” point also negates the enticement of a 3-year deal.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

For better or worse, neither Kevyn Adams nor Brandon Beane operate as though they’re under intense job pressure.

Curious as to how you arrive at that conclusion?

30 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

So, you're "pretty sure" he would have signed for an extra year for a couple of mill ... because he would want that extra year? Yeah, that makes no sense. An extra year for a lot of money? Maybe. An extra year for very little more? In what way is that better for any player?

It's not.

Sure, the Bills could have built in incentives. That's basically a form of offering more money, which the Bills would not have wanted to do. We know that since they did not want to give him even as much as the Titans did, much less more.

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is where I’m at… The Bills are one injury away at WR from having a bottom 5 unit. 

Believe me, we always know where you’re at.  “The Bills are [this close] to disaster.”

You’re a one-trick pony.  Meanwhile, the Bills are still a top-5 Super Bowl contender.

Enjoy the season, Scott!

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is where I’m at… The Bills are one injury away at WR from having a bottom 5 unit. 

I suspect Many teams fall into that category

Yet this zombie thread will not die or be put to death, expect fifty more pages that are a repeat of the last one hundred and fifty pages, oh the humanity…,

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

Thank GOD this is over. 

it will never end…

39 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Another one that "wants" to win but signs the fattest contract.

what's wrong with that? They all want the most money. Their careers are short. Can you guarantee the Bills will win but the Titans won't? Do you want every free agent to sign with the top teams?

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.