Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

34 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

It's foolish for ppl to think there's no interest in him from teams. He's doing what anyone should do, gathering all his options, weighing pros and cons.

I don't think he goes to highest bidder If #2-3 can be close and provide a good scheme/fit/team. I 100% believe he goes to contender for a Lil less than say a NE would offer.

He's also a vet and plays hard. Dude doesn't wanna kill himself in training camp. He's a consummate pro and a baller on game day. I believe we're still in the mix but unlikely

And likewise.........I think New England and TN probably think they can low ball him because there isn't a lot of willing money out there.   I mean if Buffalo and KC were only able to offer a fraction of what they were.........then they probably think they shouldn't pay full price either.    If he'd been offered $19M per year for multi-year with 50% gtd I think he'd be signed by now.

Personally,  I think Hopkins best chance to win is with Buff/KC of course but that his best chance at big numbers is probably elsewhere with his boy DeShaun or a middling pocket passer like Mac or Tannehill who is likely more willing to throw the ball up for grabs to Hopkins.   Mahomes is going to throw the ball to the open man and JA has never been one for throwing into tight coverage so both of those destinations figure to at least have some growing pains while they get used to throwing into traffic to feed Hopkins. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d much rather have Diggs and Nuke outside, Kincaid in the slot and Knox running routes from TE.  It’s better for the run game and the pass game.  Kincaid isn’t ready to be TE1 due to his current lack of strength and blocking ability.  Gabe as great depth.   

I also wouldn’t hate having Hop and Gabe on the outside and Diggs in the slot with Knox at TE as a set either. I hope the Bills can get Dhop at a solid price as it certainly would open up some options on the offense 

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I also wouldn’t hate having Hop and Gabe on the outside and Diggs in the slot with Knox at TE as a set either. I hope the Bills can get Dhop at a solid price as it certainly would open up some options on the offense 

Adding DHop not only elevates the #2 spot to elite.... but it improves every other weapon we have. Literally would have a serious chance at the highest scoring offense of all time (especially 17g schedule)

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Adding DHop not only elevates the #2 spot to elite.... but it improves every other weapon we have. Literally would have a serious chance at the highest scoring offense of all time (especially 17g schedule)

Lol until he’s suspended for roids……again, or hurt…….again, or has beef with his coach……again…….or decides to sit while healthy……again.  Other than that, his age,  and the salary cap, this should work.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This was a quote from Boomer Esiason from a while back when the Giants were looking to acquire D-Hop. Apparently, Boomer isn't a fan.

However, not everyone is a fan of the Giants potentially signing Hopkins, including WFAN’s Boomer Esiason.

“I just don’t see it for either one of these two teams here in New York,” Esiason said on WFAN.

“His reputation, it’s not great, Everybody knows that he’s a great athlete and a great player, but the work ethic and the commitment to practice and all that other stuff is really where the big question marks reside.”

10 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Even if D-Hop gets hurt after 8-10 games just having a good WR2 for the first half plus of the season makes a positive impact. It allows Davis, Shakir, Hardy and Sheffield to grow into their roles more and takes the pressure off Kincaid early on. I don't want to put those lofty expectations on the offense simply by add D-Hop but getting a good veteran player at WR even if they get hurt still has positive value for the offense in several other ways.

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol until he’s suspended for roids……again, or hurt…….again, or has beef with his coach……again…….or decides to sit while healthy……again.  Other than that, his age,  and the salary cap, this should work.

The Bills should be able to offer something competitive in terms of a one-year deal. The team can massage the salary cap via a Dawkins restructure and a Jones extension. The other issues you mention are valid. But even if D-Hop just gives you 8-10 games of good WR2 production before getting hurt that could be enough to justify the acquisition. It would take pressure off Kincaid early on in the season and allow the WR's like Davis, Shakir, Hardy and Sheffield to grow into their roles on the offense. 

It's a risk but if the Bills can get Hopkins to take a one year deal that makes sense for the Bills risk wise then it is a risk worth taking. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

All this is easily proven false, and you've repeatedly ignored all of it.

1. It was a peptide (not 'roids, I know you're too lazy to learn the difference, that's ok, Im not subject to willful ignorance), and once.  Most valid complaint, and the easiest to avoid. He's not a "1yr PED monster" (a la Cushing, Maybin). 8 yr body of work.

2. He's been one of the most durable WR's, who consistently performs every year. He's missed 2 games in his career, outside of his one injury where he missed 6games.

Missed 8 total games in 7 years!

The games he missed this year were unrelated to injury. Proof included.

3. Beef with his coach?  Bill O'Brien is the horse were backing here, the worst Coach/GM in the last decade ? Who was basically mad he had a child outside wedlock, and around the facility? Dudes beloved in that locker room, BOB destroyed that team and was fired. 

4. Sit when healthy? WTF, this is just made up, and proven wrong by chart below.

5. Age? You think Diggs will be washed next year then?  The dude took over games this year with XFL QB's. Was on pace for 100catches, 1200yds, 6 TD's, and was dominant on tape.

6. Salary Cap? Legit concern. The question is, is Beane willing to make a short term sacrifice to win a Chip?  Can be structured where he has a dead cap hit of approximately, a Ryan Bates, (gasp!)

----------Its really as simple as you don't like him for some reason, which is fine. Instead, you made up a bunch of non-existent problems and exaggerated the legit ones ----------

image.thumb.png.78ba396e16e290e89c1a0ea4b3f3ae82.png

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn’t hate that…. But I would hate to waste Kincaid.  

kincaid >>>>>>>>>>>> gabe imo. Might take a bit though.  I just don’t think it’ll take as long as other think it may.

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I wouldn’t hate that…. But I would hate to waste Kincaid.  

kincaid >>>>>>>>>>>> gabe imo. Might take a bit though.  I just don’t think it’ll take as long as other think it may.

I don’t think it would “waste” Kincaid but rather just be another set and look the offense could run. I think having Dhop would just add so much versatility to the offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don’t think it would “waste” Kincaid but rather just be another set and look the offense could run. I think having Dhop would just add so much versatility to the offense.

For sure

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

When was he hurt again?

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

As per your non stop roid talk 

“Hopefully before the season starts maybe we can get the games down a little bit,” he said. “It wasn’t on me. I’m pretty much a naturopathic person. What it was is it’s called ostarine. There was 0.1% found in my system. If you know what that is, you know it’s contamination — not something directly taken.

According to WebMD, ostarine — which is not FDA approved — is a type of drug that is called a selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) and is often used for athletic performance, as well as “involuntary weight loss due to illness, breast cancer, and many other conditions.”

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

“Hopefully before the season starts maybe we can get the games down a little bit,” he said. “It wasn’t on me. I’m pretty much a naturopathic person. What it was is it’s called ostarine. There was 0.1% found in my system. If you know what that is, you know it’s contamination — not something directly taken.

According to WebMD, ostarine — which is not FDA approved — is a type of drug that is called a selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) and is often used for athletic performance, as well as “involuntary weight loss due to illness, breast cancer, and many other conditions.”

Ostarine is an anabolic agent ,  ie , used to build muscle mass.  So it functions a lot like steroids.     Its banned in athletics for a reason.

19 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I understand your concerns. And may I note for others that you were correct about JJ Watt when several in here (to a certain extent me as well) wanted him on the Bills. 

Hopkins will be a risk but one worth taking in a SB year. If he agrees to the money Beane has pegged him at, let us get him. Worst case, a confluence of bad things which you list may happen. But there is also a fair probability that he wont get into trouble and provide the edge that will help us win critical games. The number of snaps need to be managed. But overall, I just think the team should go in with eyes wide open and swing for the fences.  

20 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Ostarine is an anabolic agent ,  ie , used to build muscle mass.  So it functions a lot like steroids.     Its banned in athletics for a reason.

I know what it is and it's not a steroid, so when someone harps on calling it that for 140+ pages as their main argument you have to correct it. 

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I understand your concerns. And may I note for others that you were correct about JJ Watt when several in here (to a certain extent me as well) wanted him on the Bills. 

Hopkins will be a risk but one worth taking in a SB year. If he agrees to the money Beane has pegged him at, let us get him. Worst case, a confluence of bad things which you list may happen. But there is also a fair probability that he wont get into trouble and provide the edge that will help us win critical games. The number of snaps need to be managed. But overall, I just think the team should go in with eyes wide open and swing for the fences.  

First of all @4merper4mer is wrong about 98% of the time so he is below broken clock level even.

Second...........I think another thing we are learning about our QB is that he prefers a mixture of the Ben Roethlisberger offseason regimen of golf and body fat building(sans the sexual assault and motorcycle tricks) along with the Aaron Rodgers "dating semi-hot celebrity women".   So expecting him to elevate a bunch of middling talents at WR like he is spending his offseasons in the lab perfecting all the finer points of his game is probably not the safest route.   He prefers the less is more approach to the offseasons and your franchise is hitched to him...........so like the Steelers did with Big Ben the Bills probably should start taking the more is more approach to stocking offensive talent around him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First of all @4merper4mer is wrong about 98% of the time so he is below broken clock level even.

Second...........I think another thing we are learning about our QB is that he prefers a mixture of the Ben Roethlisberger offseason regimen of golf and body fat building(sans the sexual assault and motorcycle tricks) along with the Aaron Rodgers "dating semi-hot celebrity women".   So expecting him to elevate a bunch of middling talents at WR like he is spending his offseasons in the lab perfecting all the finer points of his game is probably not the safest route.   He prefers the less is more approach to the offseasons and your franchise is hitched to him...........so like the Steelers did with Big Ben the Bills probably should start taking the more is more approach to stocking offensive talent around him.

Couple of thoughts

- I am willing to give players leeway in the off season to recuperate body and mind so his golfing and dating doesn't particularly concern me. But yes, there are a LOT of hours in a day and he can do the above while still honing his skills and practicing with his key receivers. I don't have information one way or another if he is doing it this off-season

- undoubtedly adding more talent wont hurt. In the case of Hopkins, despite the concerns, he is a piece at a position of need where we should take a risk. The downside is not awful and at worst we are status quo. In the drought years, I wouldn't have advocated this move but we need to add any piece which provides that little advantage over the Chiefs and Bengals of the world

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

FWIW I don’t consider Hopkins a giant douche bag like Watt, but he is clearly interested in money only and despite the arguments from many here, he has displayed work ethic issues along with the litany of other reasons he won’t work.  I get the swing for the fences and don’t really disagree with the “what”, just the “how”.  If we got him, I’d root for him with no issues.  Given the choice, I’d prefer him to Beckham.  Overall, I’m against signing him.

And Mr. Neverwrong is wrong again with his 98% wrong assessment of me.  Ask him what percentage of the time he is right and he’ll explain that it is roughly 116%.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

FWIW I don’t consider Hopkins a giant douche bag like Watt, but he is clearly interested in money only and despite the arguments from many here, he has displayed work ethic issues along with the litany of other reasons he won’t work.  I get the swing for the fences and don’t really disagree with the “what”, just the “how”.  If we got him, I’d root for him with no issues.  Given the choice, I’d prefer him to Beckham.  Overall, I’m against signing him.

And Mr. Neverwrong is wrong again with his 98% wrong assessment of me.  Ask him what percentage of the time he is right and he’ll explain that it is roughly 116%.

I'm starting to get some DHop fatigue.  The odds the Bills get him have diminished with what looks to be the increased emphasis on money, and the reports of his poor practice habits.

I'll have to revisit the Mike Evans thread because he is becoming just about as realistic at this point.  Tampa starts out at around 1 and 3 (very possible) and can then ship out Evans under the rebuild philosophy (that they don't want to admit to yet).  Evans has a reasonable salary of $13M, and a quarter of that would be gone by then.  The Bills could negotiate a nice 2-3 yr deal that is cap manageable, all for the 3rd rounder we got for Edmunds leaving.

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I'm starting to get some DHop fatigue.

Just now?!  LOL! 

He ain't coming here.  If he was going to, it would have been done before now.

This is the magic thread that continues to grow for no reason.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Just now?!  LOL! 

He ain't coming here.  If he was going to, it would have been done before now.

This is the magic thread that continues to grow for no reason.

He has to go somewhere right? I think it’s unlikely that the Bills land him but I would say that ruling him out because of timing is just flawed. He visited two teams and has yet to sign. So I just wouldn’t count the Bills out completely 

• Agree 1

Just now, billsfan89 said:

He has to go somewhere right? I think it’s unlikely that the Bills land him but I would say that ruling him out because of timing is just flawed. He visited two teams and has yet to sign. So I just wouldn’t count the Bills out completely 

I assume Beane made some kind of an offer along with the Chiefs.  The key is an actual visit which never took place. This could be a good or bad thing. 

I think it’s pretty obvious where things stand at this point.  

Hop wants to play for the Bills or Chiefs.  

Bills and Chiefs can’t/won’t pay him what he’s looking for.  

Titans and Patriots will pay him what he’s looking for. 

Hop doesn’t want to play for the Titans or Patriots. 

Therefore.. we wait. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Yada yada yada WebMD yada yada chemical compounds yada receptor module yada.

Dude cheated, got caught, got suspended and pulled a Fernando Tatis excuse.  If it happens again it’s a longer one.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Therefore.. we wait. 

And then there is the extenuating circumstances.

Team X,Y,Z (possible contenders) loses a player to injury during camp and panics: Hop signs a few days later for closer to what he's looking for.

Edited by The Wiz

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yada yada yada WebMD yada yada chemical compounds yada receptor module yada.

Dude cheated, got caught, got suspended and pulled a Fernando Tatis excuse.  If it happens again it’s a longer one.  

You must of been in the room when he did it since you are 100% sure he did it. Why was the number so low in his system was he using small doses from what you saw?

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

Therefore.. we wait. 

The Patriots hasn't offer him what he is looking for either. No teams has. It's already been reported of the two teams, especially the Patriots they are not in a rush for him to make a decision.

Barring any major Injury to another teams wide out group. It's between Tenn n NE.

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Therefore.. we wait. 

I think he’s waiting for Quinnen Williams to sign his extension with the jets so the chiefs can extend Chris Jones which will free up the room they need to sign him. 

that’s what I’d do if I were him anyway.  It’s all on the jets. 

36 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

You must of been in the room when he did it since you are 100% sure he did it. Why was the number so low in his system was he using small doses from what you saw?

You must have been in the alternative reality where he wasn’t caught and suspended and won’t face an increased suspension if it happens again.

Edited by 4merper4mer

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Therefore.. we wait. 

Well said and the prevailing wisdom is Hop’s agent is driving up the $ expecting to get it up a bit with a. Contender so in essence using the Tiny Titans and Cheats as pawns.

The Browns could’ve been a thought, but they have some upcoming rising stars so their beat writers are reporting they are out.

Im guessing a 20% chance at best, but would happen in week 1 of training camp or right before.  

1 hour ago, Ghost_002! said:

The Patriots hasn't offer him what he is looking for either. No teams has. It's already been reported of the two teams, especially the Patriots they are not in a rush for him to make a decision.

Barring any major Injury to another teams wide out group. It's between Tenn n NE.

Yup, if he wants 9-10M he's going to have settle for a sh ity qb.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup, if he wants 9-10M he's going to have settle for a sh ity qb.

Might as well seeing the front offices of better QBs aren't doing anything...

I mean he is out there right? And yet no contenders have even offered him the league minimum...

Edited by Ghost_002!

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Therefore.. we wait. 

This explanation is about as accurate and simplistic as it gets....

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.