Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're operating as if there's no chance Davis can rebound after his first year as a starter dealing with injuries, Kincaid won't have a solid Rookie season, and Harty will underperform/won't stay healthy.

Maybe 1 or 2 of those things will happen. But all of them? I wouldn't bet on it. And that's not taking into account already having Diggs and Knox, solid pass catching RB's in Cook and Hines, as well as Wild Cards like Justin Shorter and Trent Sherfield.

This team has weapons.

Don't sleep on Sherfield and Khalil Shakir.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

But our biggest issue was a guy that averaged over 17 yards a catch had the #2 target share? 

Yeah, the biggest issue by far was that our #2 target had a 51.6% catch rate. That's abysmal. It's basically half his targets that fell incomplete.

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're operating as if there's no chance Davis can rebound after his first year as a starter dealing with injuries, Kincaid won't have a solid Rookie season, and Harty will underperform/won't stay healthy.

Maybe 1 or 2 of those things will happen. But all of them? I wouldn't bet on it. And that's not taking into account already having Diggs and Knox, solid pass catching RB's in Cook and Hines, as well as Wild Cards like Justin Shorter and Trent Sherfield.

This team has weapons.

I mean you're literally just naming players on the roster and that's your whole argument that the team has weapons.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, the biggest issue by far was that our #2 target had a 51.6% catch rate. That's abysmal. It's basically half his targets that fell incomplete.

I mean you're literally just naming players on the roster and that's your whole argument that the team has weapons.

The 51.6% catch rate is an overblown stat.  Better to look at catchable passes.  And yes Gabe had drops, that he should have made...but please keep hanging their hat on the 50% stat and it's just misinforming.

Davante Adams was also in the 50%s in 2022 as well.  See its easy to drop a stat and make a story around it...guess Adams is no good either.

Josh could be better with ball placement too on his throws, and a certain amount of Gabes targets are "throw aways" by Josh (tends to be a higher % of passes, given the routes Gabe is asked to run).  

No excuses, Gabe needs to improve but I prefer looking at the whole picture, than cherry picking stats that are misleading.  Perhaps Dorsey should be improving/adapting too, on a more efficient passing game that isn't so deep ball dependent.

https://www.billsfans.com/forums/topic/2689-gabe-davis-caught-an-abysmal-516-of-his-93-targets-update-high-not-catchable/page/2/

29 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

The 51.6% catch rate is an overblown stat.  Better to look at catchable passes.  And yes Gabe had drops, that he should have made...but please keep hanging their hat on the 50% stat and it's just misinforming.

Davante Adams was also in the 50%s in 2022 as well.  See its easy to drop a stat and make a story around it...guess Adams is no good either.

Josh could be better with ball placement too on his throws, and a certain amount of Gabes targets are "throw aways" by Josh (tends to be a higher % of passes, given the routes Gabe is asked to run).  

No excuses, Gabe needs to improve but I prefer looking at the whole picture, than cherry picking stats that are misleading.  Perhaps Dorsey should be improving/adapting too, on a more efficient passing game that isn't so deep ball dependent.

https://www.billsfans.com/forums/topic/2689-gabe-davis-caught-an-abysmal-516-of-his-93-targets-update-high-not-catchable/page/2/

If you’re gonna go this route, then you’re essentially saying that Allen was the least accurate QB last year…

If you’re not blaming Gabe for having the lowest catch rate in the league (either due to hands or lack of athleticism), then you HAVE to blame Josh- and I’m not willing to believe that in this case…

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Some of you are really reaching for problems to B word about. Page 127 of a Hopkins thread delves into how bad our offense was/is. An offense that was 2nd in points per game. Not in the  AFCE , in the entire league. What a miserable place this can be. Perfection can be a goal, but it’s unattainable guys. Stop it. 
Second in points per game. In the entire league. 

How many points did we score against the Bengals in the playoffs?

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Not if you couldn't afford it. I'd like to upgrade my Ford for a Maybach... 

They can afford it. That's the thing most people aren't comprehending at all. Between restructures they could still make combined with an extension or two that would make sense as well as money they have spent since then and a couple of cuts that may happen anyway it's well attainable.

The issue is they haven't (at least to this point) deemed that the need outweighs the cost.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah, agree that is an issue and it was something the hurt. But IMO any of those other reasons I listed were just as big an issue if not bigger. 

32 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Come on. There are too many knowledgeable fans on here for you to throw out this argument and expect it to land. Adams from his 3rd year on ranged from 62% to 77% catch percentage. Last year he played in a terrible offense led by Derek Carr's career worst performance and he in turn had the worst catch percentage of his career. You're reducing a career's worth of production to a single year... that isn't going to fly.

Davis on the other hand has seen his catch percentage drop from 56.5% to 55.6% to 51.6% in each year of his young career. His 4% drop last year was entirely predictable - going from facing #3 and worse DBs to consistently facing #1 and #2 DBs of course brought down his efficiency.

A 50ish percent catch guy is what Davis has always been. And he doesn't have a skill set conducive to suddenly jumping into the 60s like any worthy #2 target.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

They can afford it. That's the thing most people aren't comprehending at all. Between restructures they could still make combined with an extension or two that would make sense as well as money they have spent since then and a couple of cuts that may happen anyway it's well attainable.

The issue is they haven't (at least to this point) deemed that the need outweighs the cost.

For the millionth time, yeah, they can afford it. And if I maxed out the credit cards, I can afford a De Tomaso P72. All I have to do i go to 100 banks or so and get a credit card in each and max 'em all out.

Again, whether you can afford it is NOT the question. The question is whether it's a good idea to afford it. And it would not be a good idea for me to afford that De Tomaso.

Nor would it be a good idea for the Bills to spend the king's ransom Hopkins is almost certainly demanding. 

People completely and fully underestand that the Bills can afford it. And that affording it doesn't mean it won't cause financial havoc to do it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

For the millionth time, yeah, they can afford it. And if I maxed out the credit cards, I can afford a De Tomaso P72. All I have to do i go to 100 banks or so and get a credit card in each and max 'em all out.

Again, whether you can afford it is NOT the question. The question is whether it's a good idea to afford it. And it would not be a good idea for me to afford that De Tomaso.

Nor would it be a good idea for the Bills to spend the king's ransom Hopkins is almost certainly demanding. 

People completely and fully underestand that the Bills can afford it. And that affording it doesn't mean it won't cause financial havoc to do it.

Yes, that is my point. I'm saying they can afford it and if the need met the price they would pull the trigger. "The price" isn't just dollars today it's what it does to the financial ledger down the road as well. We are agreed there.

And no, not everyone understands that they can afford the move financially. Which is why we have so many in this very thread saying "we can't afford it"...which is what I was replying to. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Come on. There are too many knowledgeable fans on here for you to throw out this argument and expect it to land. Adams from his 3rd year on ranged from 62% to 77% catch percentage. Last year he played in a terrible offense led by Derek Carr's career worst performance and he in turn had the worst catch percentage of his career. You're reducing a career's worth of production to a single year... that isn't going to fly.

Davis on the other hand has seen his catch percentage drop from 56.5% to 55.6% to 51.6% in each year of his young career. His 4% drop last year was entirely predictable - going from facing #3 and worse DBs to consistently facing #1 and #2 DBs of course brought down his efficiency.

A 50ish percent catch guy is what Davis has always been. And he doesn't have a skill set conducive to suddenly jumping into the 60s like any worthy #2 target.

Come on, no way you can be so confident about what's causing a very small difference in a stat like completion percentage.

Guys who are consistently getting such deep targets consistently don't have completion percentages as high. 

That's not the complete story of course, but it's a major reason why the completion percentage is what it is. You can't pretend there aren't a million things impacting completion percentages, including how well the QB is throwing and whether he has a problem with his throwing arm, for instance. Or that his Y/R was his highest ever.

And because a guy doesn't have something in his skill set now doesn't mean he can't change and develop that skill set. It isn't necessarily possible, and certainly not in every case. But it happens.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes, that is my point. I'm saying they can afford it and if the need met the price they would pull the trigger. "The price" isn't just dollars today it's what it does to the financial ledger down the road as well. We are agreed there.

And no, not everyone understands that they can afford the move financially. Which is why we have so many in this very thread saying "we can't afford it"...which is what I was replying to. 

But on that same token what if those posters are just saying we can’t afford it, meaning it’ll cause financial havoc down the road? 

Just as your post was misunderstood, couldn’t theirs also be? 

At this point, I’d say everyone understands the ramifications. It’s whether or not you believe this is THEE year you have to push your chips and go all in. 

I personally am on the side of let’s forget about Hopkins. We have a #1 receiver that is complaining about targets as it is, even though he’s what, the second most targeted receiver in a three year span? Adding Hopkins to that equation just sounds like a headache no one needs this season. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Clearly we're agreed that the financial future impact should be a part of this decision. We agree on that much at least.

But, no, that's not what I'm saying. Your point addresses need, or at least that's what you said in your first sentence here. Mine does not.

I'm saying that regardless of need, or value for that matter, the fact that you can afford something IN NO WAY necessarily means it's a good idea to buy it. 

And yes, people do understand that the Bills are capable of affording the decision. It is exactly the fact that so many think that whether we can afford it is the right question that has created all of those posts. Again, whether we can afford it is NOT the right question.

Again, I can afford that $1.3M De Tomaso. But it would be a spectacularly stupid financial decision for me to do so regardless of the fact that the De Tomaso is absolutely worth every penny. Eventually I'd be the owner of a De Tomaso living under a bridge. Because you can find the money does NOT mean it's a good financial decision to do so. 

I'm concerned we're talking past each other, at least a bit, so I'm going to disengage here. See you around the boards. Good luck.

14 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Clearly we're agreed that the financial future impact should be a part of this decision. We agree on that much at least.

But, no, that's not what I'm saying. Your point addresses need, or at least that's what you said in your first sentence here. Mine does not.

I'm saying that regardless of need, or value for that matter, the fact that you can afford something IN NO WAY necessarily means it's a good idea to buy it. 

And yes, people do understand that the Bills are capable of affording the decision. It is exactly the fact that so many think that whether we can afford it is the right question that has created all of those posts. Again, whether we can afford it is NOT the right question.

Again, I can afford that $1.3M De Tomaso. But it would be a spectacularly stupid financial decision for me to do so regardless of the fact that the De Tomaso is absolutely worth every penny. Eventually I'd be the owner of a De Tomaso living under a bridge. Because you can find the money does NOT mean it's a good financial decision to do so. 

I'm concerned we're talking past each other, at least a bit, so I'm going to disengage here. See you around the boards. Good luck.

Pantera is one of the coolest cars ever made!  I'd put that on my top 10 list 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wow, what show is this?  This is literally some of the worst journalism I have ever seen.  

Not saying it’s true, but why is it bad journalism? Just speculation like every other outlet, this is just a different angle and to be fair it seems much more logical than Diggs wants the ball more.

It definitely could be that along with his frustration of constantly being doubled and bracketed that he’s been expecting an upgrade opposite him to loosen coverage.

I hope this guess at the issue has some merit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Looks to me like that’s precisely what @BuffaloBillyG is saying

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I was being facetious, re: my comment about Davante, that should have been clear.

My point continues to be that Gabe is used as a non-traditional #2, aka: MVS for KC.  Which is a valuable component to our offensive success.

I'd agree and have said numerous times, that he's a bit limited in his route tree...due to lack of suddenness/burst/movement skills.  But Dorsey could be using him more often on slants/dig routes, etc. and I think we'd see his catch rate/overall stats improve.

But due to above, it's unfair to throw out catch rate stats...when knowledgeable fans should see he runs routes that will bias that statistic, based on playcalls/offensive strategy.

On the flip side, Im equally critical when Gabe does drop catchable passes.  I just don't think it's enough to warrant this outrage, and people continuing to use the 51% catch stat.

We will see what Beane does with Gabe long-term, but we don't need Stef 2.0 or a Dhop, with the diverse weapons we now have.  It would be nice, but not a necessity like some seem to believe.  

Our issues last year:

1. IOL

2. RT

3. lack of slot/middle of field targets

IMO, that's what Beane has seen as well.  Complimentary pieces on offense, difficult to beat Cincys cover 3/4 scheme when they gave us mid level options and we had McKenzie and a semi retired Cole Beasley as our primary options there.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, julian said:

Not saying it’s true, but why is it bad journalism? Just speculation like every other outlet, this is just a different angle and to be fair it seems much more logical than Diggs wants the ball more.

It definitely could be that along with his frustration of constantly being doubled and bracketed that he’s been expecting an upgrade opposite him to loosen coverage.

It’s bad journalism because it makes zero sense.  Diggs did not take a pay cut or receive less guaranteed $.  The money was restructured which usually gives players more money up front.  This might not be beneficial tax wise, but I’d still think most players would want the $ now.  From my understanding, these types of restructures can happen even without the player agreeing to it.  Diggs might be unhappy we didn’t sign DHop, but it’s not because of his restructure.  

I'd be interested to see what the Bills are willing to pay Gabe Davis...

Let's say Buffalo is willing to do 4 years at $$$ per AAV.... Would y'all be willing to offer that to D-Hop at say 3 yrs at the same AAV, then trade Gabe or let him walk after the season?

If that money is already allocated, and the difference is simply accelerating the money due one year and taking a risk on a proven older player vs a somewhat unproven younger player.. I think I'd pull the trigger on D-Hop.

If that isn't enough money for D-Hop, I'd then turn to Gabe and see if that works to lock him down before the season.  

I do agree with those who think Gabe is either locked up before the season or he is on a different team in '24.  He either doesn't step up, again, then I think we'll decide to take a WR early.  If he does step up, like Tremaine, we won't be able to afford him.

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Diggs a rookie and a bunch of crap.

Dude: we get it that Gabe Davis is not Tee Higgins or Jalen Waddle.

But can we agree there's a fair distance between those two guys, and a "bunch of crap"?  Yeah, we want him to have fewer drops, and be thrown more catchable passes.  But by a number of metrics, he's actually at the top of the #2s and a number of teams don't have a #1 with his production.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dude: we get it that Gabe Davis is not Tee Higgins or Jalen Waddle.

But can we agree there's a fair distance between those two guys, and a "bunch of crap"?  Yeah, we want him to have fewer drops, and be thrown more catchable passes.  But by a number of metrics, he's actually at the top of the #2s and a number of teams don't have a #1 with his production.

He gets numbers because Josh is the QB and there's nobody else. His primary backup was Jake Kumerow ferkryin out loud

35 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'd be interested to see what the Bills are willing to pay Gabe Davis...

Let's say Buffalo is willing to do 4 years at $$$ per AAV.... Would y'all be willing to offer that to D-Hop at say 3 yrs at the same AAV, then trade Gabe or let him walk after the season?

If that money is already allocated, and the difference is simply accelerating the money due one year and taking a risk on a proven older player vs a somewhat unproven younger player.. I think I'd pull the trigger on D-Hop.

If that isn't enough money for D-Hop, I'd then turn to Gabe and see if that works to lock him down before the season.  

I do agree with those who think Gabe is either locked up before the season or he is on a different team in '24.  He either doesn't step up, again, then I think we'll decide to take a WR early.  If he does step up, like Tremaine, we won't be able to afford him.

Considering we likely won’t be adding any big name FAs, I’d rather take the comp picks for our own losses.  Focus on the bargain bin FAs available later in the period.  

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

How many "reasons" are we going to hear for Diggs' unhappiness? It sounds like every other day some person is dreaming of a new one. So far, here are a few

- he and Allen had a fight the day before the Bengals game cos of some girl. Their relationship has soured since then

- he is just frustrated cos he "just wants to win" 

- he is frustrated at the lack of targets and wants to get the ball more 

- he is annoyed at Dorsey's schemes and will be even more unhappy if it changes to a "structured" passing attack

- we are not landing Hopkins

Did i miss any other conjecture? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'd agree and have said numerous times, that he's a bit limited in his route tree...due to lack of suddenness/burst/movement skills.  But Dorsey could be using him more often on slants/dig routes, etc. and I think we'd see his catch rate/overall stats improve.

But due to above, it's unfair to throw out catch rate stats...when knowledgeable fans should see he runs routes that will bias that statistic, based on playcalls/offensive strategy.

On the flip side, Im equally critical when Gabe does drop catchable passes.  I just don't think it's enough to warrant this outrage, and people continuing to use the 51% catch stat.

We don't run him on slants and digs because he isn't competent on those routes...  And that chart has nothing to do with accurate throws or offensive scheme or anything like that. It is just Matt Harmon diving into the film and charting each WR's success rate on every route they run whether they are targeted of not. If it was just Matt Harmon saying this we could say it doesn't mean much, but every objective analyst I've listened to has offered the same criticisms. Davis simply doesn't separate at a high level on the sorts of routes you expect the #2 WR to run.

In that article he mentions that Davis has never once in his career been above the 35th percentile in route success rate against zone, man, or press coverage (again NOT based on catches or targets or any contextual statistic, just based on charting the film). Think about that... The presumed #2 target in our offense in our Super Bowl window is a below 35th percentile WR. And you wonder why so many of us want a legit #2 added to the mix?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs is mad about everything I guess….now not signing D-Hop

Isn't this the blowhard that said Allen was done for the season and maybe next season after the elbow injury?

Edit: Yep, it is.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We've known for a long time an offense needs two WRs. Reed AND Lofton. Moulds AND Price. It's only gotten more important since then, not less. Allen and Diggs are special but they can only do so much. Give them help at ALL costs in my opinion.

The moment we traded our 1st rounder for Diggs my attention immediately turned to "Now is there a way we can snag Brandon Aiyuk too?" Here we are 3 years later and nothing of substance at this pivotal position. Go ahead and spin it but I think this is laughably poor management of a modern football team.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

How many "reasons" are we going to hear for Diggs' unhappiness? It sounds like every other day some person is dreaming of a new one. So far, here are a few

- he and Allen had a fight the day before the Bengals game cos of some girl. Their relationship has soured since then

- he is annoyed at Dorsey's schemes and will be even more unhappy if it changes to a "structured" passing attack

Welp, he didn't skip the first day of practice and have it out with the people over at OBD because he's happy, right?

So who knows what it is.  It's something; exactly what doesn't really matter.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Welp, he didn't skip the first day of practice and have it out with the people over at OBD because he's happy, right?

So who knows what it is.  It's something; exactly what doesn't really matter.

“Exactly what” is the ONLY thing that matters.  But do you

• Agree 1

Give it a day or 2.  I'm sure there's more. 

People on here complain about the media, but they feed into and fuel everything they hear when the situation suits them.  Never about the franchise as a whole or Josh though.  That's blasphemy.

Edited by Chicken Boo

Diggs is frustrated because they don’t have crab cakes and Old Bay seasoning at Highmark Stadium.

17 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

We've known for a long time an offense needs two WRs. Reed AND Lofton. Moulds AND Price. It's only gotten more important since then, not less. Allen and Diggs are special but they can only do so much. Give them help at ALL costs in my opinion.

The moment we traded our 1st rounder for Diggs my attention immediately turned to "Now is there a way we can snag Brandon Aiyuk too?" Here we are 3 years later and nothing of substance at this pivotal position. Go ahead and spin it but I think this is laughably poor management of a modern football team.

Thank you! I agree 100% The Bills have been needing a legitimate #2 WR for years. They’ve tried with Gabe Davis last year, but he underperformed and was inconsistent.

2 hours ago, julian said:

It was bad because he was communicating his opinion as fact

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Diggs is mad about everything I guess….now not signing D-Hop

Diggs wants to win and one of the things that impacted him most in 2022 was the lack of a consistent second-receiving threat. D-Hop is the best WR out on the market and even if he is just 75% of what he was at his peak he still would provide some solid relief for Diggs. I can't blame Diggs for being a little antsy with this situation if you feel DHop would be the last piece the offense needs. That being said while I wish Diggs wouldn't take the to media (kills the Bills leverage a small amount) I think he is at least coming from the right place. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.