Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

I doubt that. Hopkins and Diggs are buddies and it would clearly signal that the organization wants to do what it takes to WIN

If they signed Hopkins all of a sudden the narrative is going to immediately be that it was some panic move because of issues with Diggs.  We don't have any more money to sign DHop, doing so will not shift the narrative, it will look a lot more like insurance against Diggs issues.

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If they signed Hopkins all of a sudden the narrative is going to immediately be that it was some panic move because of issues with Diggs.  We don't have any more money to sign DHop, doing so will not shift the narrative, it will look a lot more like insurance against Diggs issues.

We have over $5M in cap and moves that could be made. Could easily get $10-15M to Hop. 

40 minutes ago, ngbills said:

We have over $5M in cap and moves that could be made. Could easily get $10-15M to Hop. 

From my understanding and fellow OBD cap scientists the Bills have four moves they could make to free up cap space. 

1- Restructure Dawkins

2- Restructure Tre

3- Extend D Jones

4- Extend Hyde

Given Hyde’s age and the injury he is coming off of I don’t think they want to do that. Tre is another one I don’t think they would do but they would consider it if they really needed the space. Restructuring Tre would push his dead cap hits up the next two seasons and considering the injury he is not too far removed from I think they would prefer to have some flexibility with him.

Dawkins I think they will and can do and that would free up 6 million in cap space. A D Jones extension would free up 4 million in space and considering they only have one DT under contract next season It would make sense they would want to get a extension done for him.

So the Bills have options for space but how much can they maneuver to make that play for Dhop?

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

So the Bills have options for space but how much can they maneuver to make that play for Dhop?

How much do you think they need?

Von cost the Bills like $5m on the cap last year…

They could make it happen should they choose ..

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It would be a smart time to sign DHop if the Bills want to help shift the narrative 

It would do the opposite. It would send a message that we're worried about Diggs and may be looking to eat the dead cap and move on. 

Digg's problem isn't that the team isn't doing enough to win. It's presumably to do with the coaching. Specifically, game planning away from him in both the KC Championship Game and the Cinci Divisional playoff exits. 

If anything, the problems with Diggs right now makes Hopkins even more unlikely. It would send the wrong message to Diggs and the media. And if they're feeling a headache from 1 Top WR right now, they may not want to take on another who has his own set of Diva behavior (specifically when it comes to practice habits). Also, if Diggs is worried about his targets, bringing in Hopkins on top of everything else would exacerbate that.

So, yeah, signing Hopkins does nothing for the situation we're in that would help. It would do the opposite. Which is probably another reason why we haven't pursued him with any urgency.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Would you blame Beane if this was true?

Given the teams Superbowl aspirations, I certainly won't 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Would you blame Beane if this was true?

Given the teams Superbowl aspirations, I certainly won't 

No, I would have no issue signing DHop, would be excited.  But I was responding to someone who said Beane has to sign DHop to change the narrative on Diggs and I said it would have the opposite affect 

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

How much do you think they need?

Von cost the Bills like $5m on the cap last year…

They could make it happen should they choose ..

The Bills were more willing to pony up the adjustable rate mortgage for Von who had finished the previous season healthy and was Dominant in a Super Bowl run. Whereas Dhop is coming off injuries back to back seasons. 

I think the Bills are also looking at not having too many bad contracts on the roster to have to avoid dead money. Von’s deal is possibly going to cost the Bills eight figures in dead money by 2025 or 2026. I think you can stomach one of those deals to try to “win now” but you can’t stomach two or more. 

I think in the end the Bills will try to get Dhop on a suped up Floyd type deal. Get the man a good chunk of money by adding some void years. But I doubt they want a huge multi year commitment like Von. 

To make such a deal happen probably would need 10 million in space

Edited by billsfan89

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills were more willing to pony up the adjustable rate mortgage for Von who had finished the previous season healthy and was Dominant in a Super Bowl run. Whereas Dhop is coming off injuries back to back seasons. 

I think the Bills are also looking at not having too many bad contracts on the roster to have to avoid dead money. Von’s deal is possibly going to cost the Bills eight figures in dead money by 2025 or 2026. I think you can stomach one of those deals to try to “win now” but you can’t stomach two or more

I think in the end the Bills will try to get Dhop on a suped up Floyd type deal. Get the man a good chunk of money by adding some void years. But I doubt they want a huge multi year commitment like Von. 

He also won’t be getting paid like Von

$5m is more than enough space for this year and the balance can be pushed into the future… likely he is a 1 year deal like OBJ anyway if he is interested in coming  to the Bills…

Edit - OBJ counting less than $4M this year .. the rest pushed into “void years”…

Edited by Aussie Joe

34 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Diggs is untradeable… too much dead money…

Right, I know that. But if we are going to operate in a pretend world where we free up $12-25M for Hopkins, why not live in pretend world where we get a similar talent and maybe get some draft picks back as well.

The 2023 number is manageable. In fact a swap for Diggs/Morse for Evans gets us close to breaking even. It is the 2024 number that is difficult to navigate. I do think the Bills likely move on in 2024. And to a larger extent, we have been kicking the salary cap can down the road for some time and the Bill is about to come due. We have 30 UFA's next season and are estimated to be $40M over the cap. That situation is almost as much of a factor in moving on from Diggs as Diggs contract is itself. We don't have much freedom to absorb much. 

For reference

2023 Trade: $13M Dead Cap/2024 $31M Dead Cap

2024 Trade Post June 1: $8.8M/$22M

Moving on from Diggs will require us to move on via trade/cut/letting walk in FA a number of other players unfortunately. Tre White is likely near the top of the list of sacrifices (or extension?) to balance the books for Stef. He can save us $10M in 2024. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills were more willing to pony up the adjustable rate mortgage for Von who had finished the previous season healthy and was Dominant in a Super Bowl run. Whereas Dhop is coming off injuries back to back seasons

I think the Bills are also looking at not having too many bad contracts on the roster to have to avoid dead money. Von’s deal is possibly going to cost the Bills eight figures in dead money by 2025 or 2026. I think you can stomach one of those deals to try to “win now” but you can’t stomach two or more. 

Please tell me what injury he had last season. 

15 hours ago, Mango said:

Right, I know that. But if we are going to operate in a pretend world where we free up $12-25M for Hopkins, why not live in pretend world where we get a similar talent and maybe get some draft picks back as well.

The 2023 number is manageable. In fact a swap for Diggs/Morse for Evans gets us close to breaking even. It is the 2024 number that is difficult to navigate. I do think the Bills likely move on in 2024. And to a larger extent, we have been kicking the salary cap can down the road for some time and the Bill is about to come due. We have 30 UFA's next season and are estimated to be $40M over the cap. That situation is almost as much of a factor in moving on from Diggs as Diggs contract is itself. We don't have much freedom to absorb much. 

For reference

2023 Trade: $13M Dead Cap/2024 $31M Dead Cap

2024 Trade Post June 1: $8.8M/$22M

Moving on from Diggs will require us to move on via trade/cut/letting walk in FA a number of other players unfortunately. Tre White is likely near the top of the list of sacrifices (or extension?) to balance the books for Stef. He can save us $10M in 2024. 

You don’t even know what’s going on with Diggs….. yet you’re willing to assume all that dead cap and crush our chances at winning a couple super bowls?  Idk man. This is irrational thinking.  

Unless Diggs says he doesn’t want to be here, he needs to stay put and help figure out how to get over the top.  That’s what he wants and he has the focus and determination to find a way.  

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’ve come to terms with Hopkins being plan A, and when the price went up we pulled the trigger on Floyd instead as the next most impactful way to spend

But fans don't have to come to terms with anything.    The Bills just have to prove themselves right.   I said last offseason that they were making a mistake by not prioritizing offense over defense and letting their WR corps go to camp in the shape it was.   Defense is simply the harder side of the ball to predict results accurately from season to season......that's just the reality.    You have to remain measured when investing on that side of the ball.   It wasn't impossible for the team to ride the defense to a SB championship in 2022........but it really put the onus on McBeane to make it happen........because the predictable aspect that they were more likely to be able to make GREAT was the offense.    

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But fans don't have to come to terms with anything.    The Bills just have to prove themselves right.   I said last offseason that they were making a mistake by not prioritizing offense over defense and letting their WR corps go to camp in the shape it was.   Defense is simply the harder side of the ball to predict results accurately from season to season......that's just the reality.    You have to remain measured when investing on that side of the ball.   It wasn't impossible for the team to ride the defense to a SB championship in 2022........but it really put the onus on McBeane to make it happen........because the predictable aspect that they were more likely to be able to make GREAT was the offense.    

Why would you try to win with defense when you have Josh Allen? Just stupid. Chiefs are so much better-managed than we are.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Why would you try to win with defense when you have Josh Allen? Just stupid. Chiefs are so much better-managed than we are.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the process lingers on (if he doesn’t sign with NE not NAS) that we bring him in for a visit. He still would make a ton of sense for Buffalo if his price tag is reasonable 

38 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

JUNE 5

john wawrow      Delete This Account

NOVEMBER 16, 2022

john wawrow      john wawrow

some of us choose not to hide who we really are

LOL THIS. IS. AMAZING

@Warriorspikes51nice detective work, maybe he'll ask you how to sniff out information before he storms off

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Because the HC is a defensive HC. Defense will always be the priority with him around. 

Unfortunately so. Can’t wait to watch Spencer Brown get josh murdered again this year. Also looking fwd to teams doubling Diggs since they know Gabe can only run to routes and has unreliable hands. FUN STUFF!

1 minute ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Unfortunately so. Can’t wait to watch Spencer Brown get josh murdered again this year. Also looking fwd to teams doubling Diggs since they know Gabe can only run to routes and has unreliable hands. FUN STUFF!

Hopefully Kincaid can have a big impact this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don’t disagree- I just think it’s the reality of where we are, with the team likely having one splash move left coming out of the draft and the Hopkins situation turning on them. I suspect he was plan an and Floyd was plan b. 

if there’s anything that my gut puts as a disclaimer on the defense comments - I think a reliably impactful pass rush is about the best you can hope for an ROI with. A sack or pressure are about the only way to get the ball back from an elite offense, so in a shootout, I’ll take pass rushers if investing. But even that’s a challenge. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t disagree- I just think it’s the reality of where we are, with the team likely having one splash move left coming out of the draft and the Hopkins situation turning on them. I suspect he was plan an and Floyd was plan b. 

if there’s anything that my gut puts as a disclaimer on the defense comments - I think a reliably impactful pass rush is about the best you can hope for an ROI with. A sack or pressure are about the only way to get the ball back from an elite offense, so in a shootout, I’ll take pass rushers if investing. But even that’s a challenge. 

I don't disagree necessarily but they didn't get to a last splash before all of the other moves they made the past 2 offseasons.    Coming to terms with their moves doesn't seem necessary.   We can enjoy the season while not being very satisfied by the personnel choices they've made.   Coming to terms with it is almost like agreeing to agree with said choices.   I don't need to go there, personally.   They just need to show us the baby after all that laboring to stack the roster how they felt was best.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.