Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

11 hours ago, Dan in Owego said:

Beauty is Badol they only have to be better than lil' dummy, which i fell they will then roll in Kincaid and maybe even mr. short arms i can see a small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

I actually think the bar for an AFC contender is significantly higher this year.

All 3 other teams in the AFC East are likely to be better.......the AFC Central personnel is improved across the board(though some may say Cinci is not).......the AFC West can't be any less competitive........and the Jaguars are in contender mode now with their elite young QB so the AFC South now actually has a legit chance to reach the SB for the first time in a long time.    You aren't likely to have an AFCCG with some overmatched team versus the Chiefs like the 2019 or 2020 games.   The playoffs are going to be a dog fight, IMO.   

Without that extra weapon or 2 that they've been lacking the Bills can play down to the level of some of the wannabe contenders like they did against the Dolphins in the playoffs last year...........or won't be able to match up with the Bengals/Chiefs.........so the Bills really need the additions to be A LOT better than what they had, IMO. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, BananaB said:

Beane takes chances every year and they never Pam out, it’s why our oline is as bad as it is. He took a chance last year giving Davis and McKenzie the opportunity they got, ***** didn’t Pam out also. Sorry if no one is excited about 4 year vets who haven’t done anything but show a couple flashes at this point. Team wants to win a superbowl at some point you gotta just got get that guy instead of giving guys chances. 

The Diggs chance didn’t pan out? I don’t think it’s accurate to say never pan out. They are going to be hot and miss for every team. 

1 hour ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

The Diggs chance didn’t pan out? I don’t think it’s accurate to say never pan out. They are going to be hot and miss for every team. 

Diggs wasn’t a chance, it was going to get a proven player. 

• Like (+1) 1

I for one am bummed, especially if he joins The Patriots. What I say right now might be controversial, but I have been so disappointed in the way Diggs has been acting, and is STILL acting this offseason, and it's been making me think about a lot of things. I really wanted a Deandre/Diggs duo, but if Diggs is truly as unhappy as he is portraying, and still continues to throw shade at Josh, then I would almost rather have a great receiver who actually WANTS to play with Josh, and if Diggs wants to go, let him go. 

At this point I think Diggs is the better receiver, but Hopkins is pretty damn great too, and I am just over the drama and worrying about team chemistry. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Man you are completely missing the point. 😅

Von was/is a proven player. I’m not missing the point, I get it and actually would like to see DHop. Too many narratives out there that Bills front office don’t try is as silly as the majority of your hot takes. 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Diggs wasn’t a chance, it was going to get a proven player. 

Same for Von, how’d that work out last year. All players are chances, your going to have risks in any acquired players…except the ones you don’t take I guess..

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

I for one am bummed, especially if he joins The Patriots. What I say right now might be controversial, but I have been so disappointed in the way Diggs has been acting, and is STILL acting this offseason, and it's been making me think about a lot of things. I really wanted a Deandre/Diggs duo, but if Diggs is truly as unhappy as he is portraying, and still continues to throw shade at Josh, then I would almost rather have a great receiver who actually WANTS to play with Josh, and if Diggs wants to go, let him go. 

At this point I think Diggs is the better receiver, but Hopkins is pretty damn great too, and I am just over the drama and worrying about team chemistry. 

I still think the whole diggs thing is way overblown

I expect to see him tomorrow at mandatory camp

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I actually think the bar for an AFC contender is significantly higher this year.

All 3 other teams in the AFC East are likely to be better.......the AFC Central personnel is improved across the board(though some may say Cinci is not).......the AFC West can't be any less competitive........and the Jaguars are in contender mode now with their elite young QB so the AFC South now actually has a legit chance to reach the SB for the first time in a long time.    You aren't likely to have an AFCCG with some overmatched team versus the Chiefs like the 2019 or 2020 games.   The playoffs are going to be a dog fight, IMO.   

Without that extra weapon or 2 that they've been lacking the Bills can play down to the level of some of the wannabe contenders like they did against the Dolphins in the playoffs last year...........or won't be able to match up with the Bengals/Chiefs.........so the Bills really need the additions to be A LOT better than what they had, IMO. 

I agree with all of this, but it might not be such a bad thing either. Going to be some damn good teams that may get knocked out, or at least get really put to the test.

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

“Will remain in contact” is the update? 

Or that he had a "successful visit" - like no flight delays so he was able to get there, have meetings, then leave? 🤔 🤣

12 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

I agree with all of this, but it might not be such a bad thing either. Going to be some damn good teams that may get knocked out, or at least get really put to the test.

Yeah the same amount of teams make the playoffs regardless of how many talented teams with top 10 QB's there are.

But the concern with that many teams is the wear and tear of a tough schedule and the seeding.    People are making light of the need to have the #1 seed because the Bills lost at home to Cinci.........but they didn't get a first round bye last year.   That might have helped a lot for a tired, stressed team.   Only having to win 2 games to reach the SB is better than the 3.

If the Bills can't get the #1 seed the best case scenario from the Buffalo/Cinci/KC perspective, based on offseason outlook, would be the Jaguars getting the #1 seed.    If you gotta' go there it's not a tough venue to play in and the weather is likely to be mild.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I still think the whole diggs thing is way overblown

I expect to see him tomorrow at mandatory camp

Simon mentioned that Diggs was yelling at Allen to ignore Dorsey. That made me a feel a lot better about any animosity between Diggs & Allen. It sounds like Diggs is more frustrated with the offense than Allen himself. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Simon mentioned that Diggs was yelling at Allen to ignore Dorsey. That made me a feel a lot better about any animosity between Diggs & Allen. It sounds like Diggs is more frustrated with the offense than Allen himself. 

That was my takeaway from the exchange as well.

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but your star WR discrediting anybody on the roster staff on TV is never a good look. And one were to do it a lot, would be very bad for the locker room.

Here’s to it never happening again. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What you’re seeing now is an agent-driven process.  No more tweeting out hints and favorites - it’s “we’re open for business” and frankly it is the right way to do it.

Was never really about winning. Just about the bottom line $$$

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

He has one more shot at a big money contract that will help him create generational wealth.  You can’t blame him for not passing up that chance.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

That hierarchy isnt changing this season so let us see how it plays out. I am not yet worried about Diggs and his alleged poor behavior but it bears watching just to see if there is any truth to those perceptions about his attitude. No matter how good the team and coaching are, the low times eventually come over the course of the season and playoffs.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I don’t want to hear a dead horse, but your star WR discrediting anybody on the roster staff on TV is never a good look.

You won't. 😀

• Haha (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The ideal situation is to get paid for a contender. Past that, yes getting paid matters for star athletes when they consider where to work next...just like it does for most human beings.

Championships are great but by and large the matter more to a fanbase then those who work there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the same amount of teams make the playoffs regardless of how many talented teams with top 10 QB's there are.

But the concern with that many teams is the wear and tear of a tough schedule and the seeding.    People are making light of the need to have the #1 seed because the Bills lost at home to Cinci.........but they didn't get a first round bye last year.   That might have helped a lot for a tired, stressed team.   Only having to win 2 games to reach the SB is better than the 3.

If the Bills can't get the #1 seed the best case scenario from the Buffalo/Cinci/KC perspective, based on offseason outlook, would be the Jaguars getting the #1 seed.    If you gotta' go there it's not a tough venue to play in and the weather is likely to be mild.

If I were to make an early prediction, I would say the battle of attrition will be the deciding factor in the AFC postseason (the biggest reason I was, and am against a single-bye team for each division), and the team with the deepest second string, and the more frequent rotations, will have the advantage towards the last third of the season.

It would be an interesting exercise to juxtapose all the AFC teams' second strings, and see where they stack up.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'm sure he was hoping a contender would give him a deal like OBJ, i.e a 1-year $15M deal with a $1.165M base salary and the remainder in signing bonus that is spread out over 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

If I were to make an early prediction, I would say the battle of attrition will be the deciding factor in the AFC postseason (the biggest reason I was, and am against a single-bye team for each division), and the team with the deepest second string, and the more frequent rotations, will have the advantage towards the last third of the season.

It would be an interesting exercise to juxtapose all the AFC teams' second strings, and see where they stack up.

Health is a big key for sure...........but I think the Bills had the deepest defensive roster in the AFC last year and their defense was still bad in the playoffs.   Depth is more important for the regular season, IMO.   Having your stars available is what is most important at the end of the season, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes and No. Everybody wants a ring, they just don't want to sacrifice millions to get it. 

Example: If the Bills or KC have an offer for let's say 2 years/ 24 mil and the Texans and Titans offer 2 years/ 28 mil chances are he'd sign up with Allen or Mahomes.   

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He has one more shot at a big money contract that will help him create generational wealth.  You can’t blame him for not passing up that chance.

Maybe, it would be hard to turn down a big money deal at this stage in his career. But, he could also bet on himself and sign a 1 year deal with an elite QB, ball out,  hopefully win a championship and parlay that into a multi year contract as well. 

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

We give the QB's and head coaches all the credit for winning the Super Bowl anyways.  Go get the most money while you still can.  I have no problem with that.

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It is also up to his agent to get him all the best contract offers he can and then let the client Dhop decide what he wants. Basically the agent wants to get Dhop the best deals and let him decide on how much of a discount if any he wants to take or if he just wants the last cash grab? All is fair and even if I were Dhop and I was very interested in joining the Bills I would still want to know how much I am leaving on the table.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I love that you referred to the division w/Cincy as the AFC Central. Once in awhile I still catch myself doing that too. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Yes and No. Everybody wants a ring, they just don't want to sacrifice millions to get it. 

Example: If the Bills or KC have an offer for let's say 2 years/ 24 mil and the Texans and Titans offer 2 years/ 28 mil chances are he'd sign up with Allen or Mahomes.   

Maybe, it would be hard to turn down a big money deal at this stage in his career. But, he could also bet on himself and sign a 1 year deal with an elite QB, ball out,  hopefully win a championship and parlay that into a multi year contract as well. 

Sure, every player wants both - max most money plus a ring. We really don’t know what discount Hopkins is willing to give for a better chance at a championship, but @billsfan89 makes a good point - he will want to know what all of his options are and exactly how much he’d be leaving on the table for a realistic shot at a good playoff run and/or a ring. He’s made over $111M on his NFL contracts so he’s certainly given himself options. He also doesn’t have to be in a hurry. Injuries happen and a contending team could get very motivated if their best WR goes down. 

I don’t think he’s getting a true multi year deal next offseason though. He might get an effective two year deal this year, but he’s at the end. While I think he could play longer than that in a lesser role, it won’t be for big money. 

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

he has generational wealth already.  not blaming him, but sick of some athletes saying they want to win, yet chasing $$.  Also if he came here for a year and went off, his value rises.  DL Floyd took this route. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Disagree 2

38 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

he has generational wealth already.  not blaming him, but sick of some athletes saying they want to win, yet chasing $$.  Also if he came here for a year and went off, his value rises.  DL Floyd took this route. 

it was reported Floyd had a lot of interest on the market and was the most sought after edge rusher.  He chose to come here for a chance at a ring 

• Agree 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

it was reported Floyd had a lot of interest on the market and was the most sought after edge rusher.  He chose to come here for a chance at a ring 

that’s what I meant to say.  He bet on himself playing well on a contender.  

4 hours ago, twist_to_open said:

Not so fast. I think we should discuss this a little and get everyone's thoughts first.

True.  You can't fly off-the-handle with these types of decisions.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.