Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I have to believe this is just leverage press put out there by Hopkin's agent.  I can't imagine he wants to pay there, unless he just wants money and they present the best offer

He wants the best offer. If it were about simply playing with Josh or Mahomes, he wouldn't be taking visits with teams like Tennessee and New England. 

He wants to find his best money offers and leverage them. Maybe he'd take less than what a lesser team is offering to play in Buffalo or KC, but if one of those teams wants to overpay in their offer (which they'd have to if they want to land him on their sorry @ss teams) - the discount will probably still be more than the Bills or Chiefs are willing to offer at this point in the Offseason.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I have to believe this is just leverage press put out there by Hopkin's agent.  I can't imagine he wants to pay there, unless he just wants money and they present the best offer

Pessimistic view is he just wants the cash, optimistic view is he is doing his due diligence and wants/should know all of his options. If he is going to take less money to play for KC or Buffalo he should know exactly what the difference in the offers are. 

I do not think the Bills can present the most money but if they can close the gap they will have a shot.

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Pessimistic view is he just wants the cash, optimistic view is he is doing his due diligence and wants/should know all of his options. If he is going to take less money to play for KC or Buffalo he should know exactly what the difference in the offers are. 

I do not think the Bills can present the most money but if they can close the gap they will have a shot.

I don't think it's just leveraging though.

He doesn't need to fly in and meet with teams for his agent to find out where they are financially in an offer. He's visiting in person to see if he likes being there and could possibly make it work. Odds are because they're offering the most. Especially seeing the full court press that Tennessee put on from his IG story.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that if what we were offering (if there were an offer, at all) were enough to "close the gap", he wouldn't be visiting with those teams in person. And I don't see Beane upping his offer based on what they're offering.

I imagine it's more than likely a Leonard Floyd situation. If he wants to come back to our offer on the table - great. If not, oh well.

8 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Question is where he will land is anybody's guess. He wants a winning team for sure. Question is how much or less money he will take?!

the real question is - will an AFC player ever sign with an NFC team again? I feel like for the last 3 years the NFC has been getting worse and worse 

Edited by Bills!Win!

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

They have JuJu and Hunter Henry too

Dhop, JuJu and Henry would have been super scary in 2020 but several years later and while they may have some gas in the tank that wouldn’t be some super elite group of pass catchers esp with Mac Jones being the one to throw to them. Not that It wouldn’t be a nice add for the Pats but It doesn’t move the needle all that much for them

7 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Question is where he will land is anybody's guess. He wants a winning team for sure. Question is how much or less money he will take?!

On what do you base “he wants a winning team for sure”?  His visits to the Titans and Pats?

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn’t suddenly be worried about the Pats if they got Dhop, nice addition but not exactly like the Pats are just one WR away from making noise 

I would be excited because then we would know with absolute certainty how good or bad Jones is.  The D is improved and the O would have good WR dHop, Parker, and JuJu add in Henry and the New TE not to mention Stevenson and the O has enough weapons to be “decent”. 

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37860293/deandre-hopkins-visits-patriots-no-rush-sign-per-source

Hopkins, 31, has not been in a rush to sign with a team and has considered waiting until closer to training camp in late July to make a move, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

he's not in a rush because no one has offered what he wants

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/37860293/deandre-hopkins-visits-patriots-no-rush-sign-per-source

Hopkins, 31, has not been in a rush to sign with a team and has considered waiting until closer to training camp in late July to make a move, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

He’s likely waiting for a contender to make a better offer…

Just now, JaCrispy said:

He’s likely waiting for a contender to make a better offer…

Haven’t all the contenders said they will pass? I THINK It’s between NE and Tennessee .  I’d love him in NE but wouldn’t be completely upset if he didn’t come either. He is the difference between 9-8 and 10-7 neither of which is good enough for the playoffs this year IMO. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Good grief Dhop! You want to finish your career having the rock tossed your way by Mac Freaking Jones?? And also play for a team that is firmly the cellar dweller of the AFC East??? Think through this slowly my man. 

Very true about cellar dwellers! BUT they should have a top D and as I mentioned before with him added they would have a very good skill position O group.  He may feel by joining them he makes them a contender. Heck with him added all 4 AFCE teams be tough outs for anyone else in the league.  BB  had them a win against Buffalo away from making the playoffs 2 years in a row.. and they should have been like 2-15 last year! 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Deandre Hopkins is gonna be a Pat.  He posted a pic with him and Judon in Pats locker room and said “La Familia” on Instagram.  

It’s a done deal IMO.  

Kinda like the Buffalo Soldier tweet 🤷

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

Last year was only JuJu and well the Future HOF TE. They had nothing else really on O, Mahomes just made them better.. JuJu may have DHop, Parker, Henry.. 

Which would be a massive upgrade for MacCorkle 

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

But, he wasn't in Buffalo and post something calling someone on the Bills his family while they stood together inside a Bills locker room, so not the same thing IMO. 

Hopkins was standing inside the Pats locker room with his arm around Judon.  All reports are that a deal is all but done and an expected announcement is looming.  None of that happened with Buffalo or in his Buffalo Solider tweet.  

So, I think the odds are significantly stronger here that he will be a Patriot.  I would wager money on it this time where as before it was all speculation to what it even meant and all the connections to Buffalo were fan driven narratives based on hope.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He wasn't in Buffalo.  He didn't call Buffalo his family.  Not the same thing.  

Hopkins was standing inside the Pats locker room with his are around Judon.  All reports are that a deal is all but done and an expected announcement is looming.  None of that happened with Buffalo or in his Buffalo Solider tweet.  

So, I think the odds are significantly stronger here that he will be a Patriot.  I would wager money on it this time where as before it was all speculation to what it even meant and all the connections to Buffalo were fan driven narratives based on hope.  

It could also be posturing by DHop and his agent. Time will tell. He couldn't visit Buffalo because he was still property of the Cardinals. He was in the proximity though with his Toronto tweet 

Edited by Solomon Grundy

4 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Which would be a massive upgrade for MacCorkle 

The biggest upgrade wouldn't be DHop anyway. Going from Matt Patricia to Bill O'Brien as OC is going to help a ton. 

Yes, O'Brien failed as a HC/GM but the guy CAN call an offense. And he can obviously do it leaps and bounds better than Patricia.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It could also be posturing by DHop and his agent. Time will tell. He couldn't visit Buffalo because he was still property of the Cardinals. He was in the proximity though with his Toronto tweet 

True, and I think for sure you are right about it the first time.  Him and the agent trying to make it happen.  But this time, it comes off the back of many reports that a deal is expected and an announcement is looming.  And its also time he signs, I don't think there are any other offers out there for him to consider at this point.  The interested teams are limited, so I am pretty sure he knows what he can get in each of those spots now, and NE always felt like the place he might get the most right now given the tight cap spots of his two top choices of Buffalo and KC.

But you are right, nothing is certain...I however feel the odds are pretty strong he will be Patriot soon.  I would love him in Buffalo, but after all our moves of late, I don't think its in the cards.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

True, and I think for sure you are right about it the first time.  Him and the agent trying to make it happen.  But this time, it comes off the back of many reports that a deal is expected and an announcement is looming.  And its also time he signs, I don't think there are any other offers out there for him to consider at this point.  The interested teams are limited, so I am pretty sure he knows what he can get in each of those spots now, and NE always felt like the place he might get the most right now given the tight cap spots of his two top choices of Buffalo and KC.

But you are right, nothing is certain...I however feel the odds are pretty strong he will be Patriot soon.  I would love him in Buffalo, but after all our moves of late, I don't think its in the cards.  

Not for nothing, but could you link a report that says this? I have seen nothing to that extreme. Everything from every "credible source" has said the meetings were "productive" and the Pats are "optimistic" which are 2 very different narratives. 

39 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Last year was only JuJu and well the Future HOF TE. They had nothing else really on O, Mahomes just made them better.. JuJu may have DHop, Parker, Henry.. 

This was the basis of my point.

Mahomes made  JuJu and a bunch of rookies look like overachievers.  I don't see Mac being able to do the same.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Wiz said:

This was the basis of my point.

Mahomes made  JuJu and a bunch of rookies look like like overachievers.  I don't see Mac being able to do the same.

My point is it depends what is around him. If DHop joins NE as well he will be facing every teams #2 CB and should do better than he did in KC where he faced the top CB.  Also Mac stunk last year for a couple reasons 1. We had dumb and dumber as OC’s. 2. He was pouting and unhappy about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

My point is it depends what is around him. If DHop joins NE as well he will be facing every teams #2 CB and should do better than he did in KC where he faced the top CB.  Also Mac stunk last year for a couple reasons 1. We had dumb and dumber as OC’s. 2. He was pouting and unhappy about it. 

Are you saying Hopkins wouldn't be NE's #1???

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not for nothing, but could you link a report that says this? I have seen nothing to that extreme. Everything from every "credible source" has said the meetings were "productive" and the Pats are "optimistic" which are 2 very different narratives. 

It was on a bunch of sports new yesterday.  Maybe media was exaggerating it, but saw it mentioned multiple times while watching various sports shows yesterday that he was expected to sign there.  

Then after that, Hopkins posted the pic of him and Judon inside the Pats locker room with the caption "La Familia".  So feels like there is a lot more smoke here than in prior reports of where he might land.  

But also wouldn't be surprised if something changed, just feels like there are a lot of strong indicators he most likely signs with Pats at this point.  Which if he does, then it will show that money played a bigger role in his decision than playing with a top tier QB.  Which is fine, wouldn't blame him at all for that given this is his last relevant contract of his career.  

8 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Are you saying Hopkins wouldn't be NE's #1???

He's saying if DHop joins he(as in JuJu) will be facing every teams #2.  Not DHop.  Just poorly worded is all.

At least I believe that is what he was saying.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He's saying if DHop joins he(as in JuJu) will be facing every teams #2.  Not DHop.  Just poorly worded is all.

At least I believe that is what he was saying.

I see.  Juju is a slot anyways so that doesn’t really work 

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It was on a bunch of sports new yesterday.  Maybe media was exaggerating it, but saw it mentioned multiple times while watching various sports shows yesterday that he was expected to sign there.  

Then after that, Hopkins posted the pic of him and Judon inside the Pats locker room with the caption "La Familia".  So feels like there is a lot more smoke here than in prior reports of where he might land.  

But also wouldn't be surprised if something changed, just feels like there are a lot of strong indicators he most likely signs with Pats at this point.  Which if he does, then it will show that money played a bigger role in his decision than playing with a top tier QB.  Which is fine, wouldn't blame him at all for that given this is his last relevant contract of his career.  

So, these sports shows made some bold statements that literally no one followed up with. Which seems odd because anytime anyone says SOMETHING on TV it sparks tweets, those clickbait little articles and so much more. Now, not calling you a liar at all...just saying it seems rather odd, no?

And you do realize many of these players have friendships league wide, correct? Posting a picture with a caption these days literally means nothing. Von posted a picture with DHop earlier this off-season IIRC. 

Now he may or may not sign there. If he does it really doesn't "prove" anything other than all factors considered they made the best deal in his eyes. Money certainly factors in much like it would be for anyone looking for a new job. But without knowing specifics it proves zero. 

Let's say the Pats sign him to the same $15M deal that OBJ got. Now let's say Beane offers $5M. He would be a fool to take Beanes offer. That's called knowing your worth. 

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So, these sports shows made some bold statements that literally no one followed up with. Which seems odd because anytime anyone says SOMETHING on TV it sparks tweets, those clickbait little articles and so much more. Now, not calling you a liar at all...just saying it seems rather odd, no?

And you do realize many of these players have friendships league wide, correct? Posting a picture with a caption these days literally means nothing. Von posted a picture with DHop earlier this off-season IIRC. 

Now he may or may not sign there. If he does it really doesn't "prove" anything other than all factors considered they made the best deal in his eyes. Money certainly factors in much like it would be for anyone looking for a new job. But without knowing specifics it proves zero. 

Let's say the Pats sign him to the same $15M deal that OBJ got. Now let's say Beane offers $5M. He would be a fool to take Beanes offer. That's called knowing your worth. 

Keep holding out hope...but I would bet money he signs with NE.  And there is more out there on it than you realize, but I am also not gonna do everyones due diligence on it either.  Like it or not, popular expectations and beliefs as of today are his most likely landing spot is NE.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Keep holding out hope...but I would bet money he signs with NE.  And there is more out there on it than you realize, but I am also not gonna do everyones due diligence on it either.  Like it or not, popular expectations and beliefs as of today are his most likely landing spot is NE.  

Ok, wasn't saying before you were making stuff up or over stating what you heard...but this right here SCREAMS "I made stuff up and got called out on it"

You made a very strong statement that you cannot back up. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will bet my 2 cents you did not even bet 2 cents... yea that's my 2 cents on this topic. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.