RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

From Dane Brugler’s draft guide: 

BACKGROUND: O’Cyrus “Cybo” Torrence, one of four children, was born in Hammond, La. and grew up further north in Greensburg (close to the Mississippi border), living in a trailer with his mother (Demetrice), grandmother and siblings. His mother gave him the nickname “Cyborg” when he was young, which eventually evolved into “Cybo.” He played a few years of youth football, but it wasn’t love at first sight and he stopped playing in middle school. Torrence attended St. Helena Central High School and decided to give football another try, mostly because his weight (420 pounds at the time) was out of control and he wanted to get in better shape.

After seeing some action as a freshman, he became a full-time starter as a sophomore and played both ways as the right tackle and nose tackle. As a junior, Torrence helped St. Helena Central to a 13-win season, playing right tackle and defensive tackle, and earned first team All-State and All-District honors. As a senior, he again played both ways and earned All-State and All-District honors.

A three-star recruit, Torrence was the No. 145 offensive tackle in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 64 recruit in Louisiana. Coming from a smaller area, he wasn’t highly recruited, but schools started to take notice during his junior season. Torrence received offers from Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee State, South Alabama and Southern Miss, but no coaching staff recruited him more than Louisiana’s did.

Towards the end of his senior season, Torrence received an offer from Georgia (to play on the defensive line), which was his only Power 5 scholarship offer. But Torrence was comfortable with Louisiana head coach Billy Napier and signed with the Ragin’ Cajuns. He was expecting to redshirt as a freshman, but an injury to a teammate in the 2019 season opener immediately thrust him into the starting lineup. After starting his first three seasons at Louisiana, he decided to enter the transfer portal as a senior and took visits to Auburn and LSU (he almost signed with LSU to stay closer to home). However, the opportunity to reunite with Napier, who accepted the Gators’ coaching job after the 2021 season, and offensive line coach Rob Sale, who coached Torrence at Louisiana for two years before spending the 2021 season with the New York Giants, drew him to Gainesville for the 2022 season. Torrence opted out of the 2022 bowl game and accepted his invitation to the 2023 Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Thick, wide-framed blocker with a massive wingspan ... large boxing gloves for hands to bounce defenders around ... bends well for his size to work himself under defenders on drive/down blocks ... shows the rotational strength to create torque and displace in the run game ... stays balanced on the move ... tough for defenders to escape once his vice grips latch on ... able to refit his hands and sit down to gain leverage in pass protection ... walks the fine line of playing aggressive while staying disciplined (zero penalties in 2022) ... his coaches rave about his competitive mentality and innate wiring as a worker (Florida assistant coach: “I wish all of our guys were as genuine and coachable learners as Cybo.”) ... weighed over 420 pounds when he started high school and completely changed his nutrition and life habits to carry a comfortable weight ... started 47 games over the last four seasons, including double-digit starts at both guard spots ... fifth offensive lineman to earn consensus All-American status in Florida history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Good pick , doesnt fit the mobile guards we usually have on this team but maybe they want to get serious about running the ball.

now Drew Sanders in the third !! 🙏🙏

Never gonna make it that far but holy hell if he does.

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Is David Edwards competing with Spencer Brown at RT?

I just started wondering this exact thing myself

Edwards (and I think someone from the Bills org - McDermott?) has several times stressed that Kromer makes everyone who is not a C move around on the line.

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

You think they cut Morse?

Actually, I think he will hang it up next year.  IF Bates is heir apparent, they had to have talked to Josh about his thoughts.

Then again, Bates could end up being the "odd man out" as starter.

Either way, if Bates is going to be a C he needs a lot of work at it to really learn setting the blocking and other C duties.

He has played a lot less games at C than fans think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Gonna have to give me some time on this one.

As someone who spent the last 2 months banging the board for the Bills to draft IOL, Torrence was my least favorite prospect. Would rather have snagged Tippman or Schmitz.

Torrence reminds me too much of Cody Ford.

I hope he does well. I appreciate the pick at OL. But I'll have to come around on this one in time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This OL pick reminds me of how funny it is that Rodger saffolds last game played in his career may be the pro bowl 😂. Good enough to make the pro bowl but not any nfl roster in the following year lol

lol.  Wasn’t he like a 4th alternate or something, anyway?

• Like (+1) 1

In hindsight seeing how the draft played out I would have gone Harrison in the first and Washington in the second, or Hyatt or Downs round 2, because OT is a bigger need.

But we nailed it regardless. Beane finally got the message last season. Need to keep stacking the offense around Josh. No more defense. 

I was sure we were going LB there. 

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Someone described him as a "bodyguard".  That's what we need - someone to keep Josh vertical and healthy!

RAWR I love it. CONCUR. a big beefy mean nasty O- Lineman Yassssss ~~~~~~~!!!!

Just now, Beck Water said:

But can he play C, or is he strictly a G?  and if a G, L or R?

Looks like a mauler G

Bates to C will likely be the move at some point or even RT I suppose

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ocyrus-torrences-country-strength-could-fit-bills-offensive-line-needs/article_7b02f8fe-a285-11ed-ab44-5ba05a8d4d8f.html

"As a newborn, Torrence was a 10-pounder. He was 6-foot-1 and 400 pounds as an eighth-grader before he hit a growth spurt in ninth and 10th grade and thinned out to his high school and college playing weight of 347.

His hands measure 11¼ inches, the largest of any lineman at the Senior Bowl. His wingspan is 84 inches, third longest of the 23 linemen in Mobile.

His nickname is “Cybo.”

“He has big hands, he has long arms, he engulfs you,” said Rochester native Paul Alexander, who coached the Cincinnati Bengals’ offensive line for 24 years and now tutors elite pro prospects. “He’s got explosiveness and quickness. I think he’d be a great pick for the Buffalo Bills where they’re picking, because that’s about where he’s going to go.”

Alexander has consulted with Torrence for the past year.

Torrence did not give up a sack in his college career. He spent his first three years at the University of Louisiana, where he started 35 games and made first-team All-Sun Belt in 2021.

He had the highest run-blocking grade of any guard in the country from Pro Football Focus in 2022.

At his size, will Torrence have enough lateral quickness to deal with elite, 3-technique defensive tackles?

Alexander is confident.

“In a small box, he’s really quick, which is all you need,” Alexander said. “He’s probably not going to be on the punt-cover team. But in the offensive line box, he’s incredibly quick. He has foot quickness, hand quickness, he has quick-twitch muscle fiber galore.”"

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I doubt many would have expected him to be available at this point in the draft.  Presumably, this is a great value pick.  I can't count the number of mock drafts that projected Torrence to Buffalo at #27.  I have no problem at all getting him late in the second.  BTW, http://www.drafttek.com does an ongoing mock of the rest of the draft using computer simulation.  They now have Buffalo picking Drew Sanders in the third round.  That would be sweet.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Our OL went from horrible to stacked very quickly.

What I like about this is it probably sets Bates up to take a year on the bench behind Mosrse to master Center.

Man... we have 5 guys who range from probably decent to possibly great starting Guards now.

Loving the draft so far!

They've definitely made moves to improve IOL. Brown at RT is still a looming question mark.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I always worry when I hear non athletic and offensive lineman. Especially with guys that weigh more than 335. I hope I'm wrong but don't like this guy, I see a tub of goo. 

At least interior where he can be more of a phone booth guy.

I bet Josh will sneak to his side more often 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.