RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

O'Cyrus Torrence does not look Irish.

He better start practicing some yoga to help with his flexibility.

During one of the British attempts to exterminate the Irish people in the 1600s, many survivors were relocated to the island of Jamaica where they were slaves along side west Africans in the sugar can fields. He might be more Irish than yourself. 

Edited by Luka
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’m going pure memory but kromer worked wonders with massive day 3 pick Carl nicks in New Orleans. 

similar size. I cant claim to recall his 3 cone or arm length measurables coming out but huge guy with 1 year of premium competition.  

Saints were also a team with a big screen game. You don’t have to get 40 yards downfield to sell a block and disrupt a guy in pursuit. Especially if you have Davis, Knox and Kincaid in there for the second level. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don’t see what there isn’t to like about this pick?

Oh, come on! You’re not new here. You just came to see how they did it.   😋

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Im hearing breaking news that the Chiefs have won the Super Bowl.

Do you have AOL dial up service? Check the date on the fax.   

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm never a fan of drafting fat, slow-footed lineman in early rounds.   But the key point is what you mentioned..........what the hell are they doing scheme wise? :lol:

They just paid $7M aav to McGovern play G.....a guy who is all about athleticism and no anchor.........which was at consistent with Morse and Bates and their never ending attempts to become an outside zone running team.     

With Torrence at RT I don't think outside zone is something they can make their identity.........so maybe we get back to more of the inside zone and gap/pin-pull styles that they used with the lumbering Incognito and no-anchor Wood.    Mike Iupati.......a player Torrence has been compared to........fared well under Roman in SF as well.     

Wish there was a decent journalist in Buffalo that could pose that question succinctly to Beane, because I'd like to have the answer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That. Cant get out on the move that well. He can push straight ahead well, but is soft if he has to move laterally. Plus I dont like how that Florida team played so not high on players coming out of there.

I dunno. I dont want to bag on the kid too bad. I'm cheering for him now that he is a Bill. Just wish the draft went differently.

From what I saw of the reels on him and the 1 Florida game    I agree. 

Yes!!

May end up being the best guard drafted this year. I have no idea why he fell so far when so many had rated him rated as the best guard in the draft.

Haven't read this entire thread yet, so maybe the answer is in here.

But the Bills have now eliminated two of their most important weaknesses in the off season, with two new starting guards--and maybe the best receiver in the draft too in Kincaid.

The best set of first two picks that I can ever recall.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Wasn’t Ford supposedly athletic? This guy is supposed to be an immovable object but isn’t considered athletic at all. He should be great in pass protection at least.

You can compare and contrast draft profiles if you like

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cody-ford/3200464f-5207-6987-5f02-57664dbea176

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/o-cyrus-torrence/3200544f-5269-4111-dab8-fa9ef6354288

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The comparison would be athletic profiles. That’s where it ends. Torrence a natural RG.

Wait plug and play at LG or natural RG, which?

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

You know something we don't?

I know that he won't be playing RT.   Just a typo.  He could be a LG though.   Iupati and Incognito were LG's for Roman and they could handle the short distance pulling from left to right.   

Now get out to do work on a screen?   Forget about it.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know that he won't be playing RT.   Just a typo.  He could be a LG though.   Iupati and Incognito were LG's for Roman and they could handle the short distance pulling from left to right.   

Now get out to do work on a screen?   Forget about it.  

Well...It's not like the Bills can ever screen anyway...So... B-)

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

Im quite sure Torrence can handle standing still for a few seconds until Allen chucks it into the dirt while our RB looks around confused. 

• Haha (+1) 4

This pick was an A. Then Beane went and scribbled crayon all over the painting in the 3rd round and acted like he had no choice

It could have been this:

Dawkins

McGovern - Bates

Morse - Bates

Cyborg - Edwards

Dawand Jones

and spare me the talk about Dawand being a bum. Coach him up….the elite traits and tools are there. The right side of your line would have received a Dominant upgrade

Edited by Warriorspikes51

12 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Yep,  already scrapping the James Cook passing game weapon plan.:lol:

Since Whaley left after the 2017 draft have McDermott or McBean found any "scheme" fits that worked exceptionally well in the draft?   Their success has been finding guys who work in any scheme.   That is guys like Allen and Rousseau.   Guys like Edmunds and Oliver were supposed to be players whose skills were accentuated in the McDefense and that hasn't materialized.   Both have fallen well short of expecations and rounds 2 and on haven't isolated anyone who was a great scheme fit the way the 2017 draft did Milano.  

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This pick was an A. Then Beane went and scribbled crayon all over the painting in the 3rd round and acted like he had no choice

It could have been this:

Dawkins

McGovern - Bates

Morse - Bates

Cyborg - Edwards

Dawand Jones

and spare me the talk about Dawand being a bum. Coach him up….the elite traits and tools are there. The right side of your line would have received a Dominant upgrade

I'm still very high on Brown. 

I just think he was dealing with injuries or personal things not disclosed to the public 

I'd be shocked if we drafted competition for him. He's the guy at RT

He's a physical freak. Him next to Cyborg could be deadly 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm still very high on Brown. 

I just think he was dealing with injuries or personal things not disclosed to the public 

I'd be shocked if we drafted competition for him. He's the guy at RT

He's a physical freak. Him next to Cyborg could be deadly 

fine, but he’s had those issues for multiple seasons….and almost singlehandedly lost us the AFC Divisional at KC. Josh had to escape 3 KC defenders on 4th down

3 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

fine, but he’s had those issues for multiple seasons….and almost singlehandedly lost us the AFC Divisional at KC. Josh had to escape 3 KC defenders on 4th down

I think what you have to understand is.. On that oline it is a huge team effort. Tackles need to rely on guards to do their job. our guards last year did not do their job. You have to depend on who is next to you to block the right man then release to the next man when needed. We struggled with that for last 3 years. How many times was Morse and The RG (whoever it was) double teamed and never released to take the blitz coming in putting the RT in a bad spot.

Got to look at the whole picture. Our Oline got a lot better this year.. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I hear ya but he's going into year 3. He had a better year as a rookie and I just get the impression the staff truly feels he's the guy 

I look forward to a breakout year for him.  If that's is the case,  we have a top OL in the league combined with the upgrades at G

Edited by JerseyBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.