RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

Just now, BBFL said:

I didn’t say it didn’t have a place for measurement of strength. It does. Just that it’s not that big of a deal… you aren’t laying on your back moving opposing defenders around the field. Leverage my friend is way more important for a 300lb+ guy than reps on a bench press. 

guys with short arms get more reps in

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm happy with the selection. The value was too great to pass up. 

Just saying let's wait and see how he plays. He dropped for a reason and he appears slower and lumbering at times. 

I like his size and how he can maul players at the attack point. 

I'm told his draft profile says he's a plug and play starter with potential to be elite.  I'll take it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

he has only been here for 1 year again....and Brown had back issues and missed the entire offseason - Hard to pin that on him

I get that and it's valid. I guess I'm just tired of the Kromer love. I haven't really seen anything special from him. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not his fault. Just seems like he gets a lot of credit here without the goods sort of speak. Not saying he's a poor coach just not seeing glaring positive results either. 

7 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm happy with the selection. The value was too great to pass up. 

Just saying let's wait and see how he plays. He dropped for a reason and he appears slower and lumbering at times. 

I like his size and how he can maul players at the attack point. 

Bills S&C team will get him leaner and stronger.  He'll be a beast.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Mt guess is that Torrence and McGovern will start at guard.  Morris will remain at center.  Boettger and Edwards will compete to backup at guard while Bates backs up Morris.  The Bills will try to trade the loser of the Boettger/Edwards competition for a late round pick in 2024.  

I think that’s the assumption 

12 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Mt guess is that Torrence and McGovern will start at guard.  Morris will remain at center.  Boettger and Edwards will compete to backup at guard while Bates backs up Morris.  The Bills will try to trade the loser of the Boettger/Edwards competition for a late round pick in 2024.  

Who's this Morris guy?  Must be good.

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that and it's valid. I guess I'm just tired of the Kromer love. I haven't really seen anything special from him. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's not his fault. Just seems like he gets a lot of credit here without the goods sort of speak. Not saying he's a poor coach just not seeing glaring positive results either. 

what exactly have you looked for with him?

it’s easier to just say you don’t know him but didn’t like last years line. 

he was good last stint, and was great with the saints. See his development of Carl nicks and jahri evans as guard projects that became all pros. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BCAS Baritone said:

No sacks in 4 years and zero penalties in 2022 suggests that this guy doesn't make mental mistakes.  When you're this big, just being in the right place at the right time is worth a lot.

No penalties and didn't he have a mobile QB to protect?🤔😉

Just now, NoSaint said:

what exactly have you looked for with him?

it’s easier to just say you don’t know him but didn’t like last years line. 

he was good last stint, and was great with the saints. See his development of Carl nicks and jahri evans as guard projects that became all pros. 

Rams line was pretty good when they won the Super Bowl too and we just brought in one of his lineman from that team. I'm expecting big improvements and getting back on track this year.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not sold on the approach here although I get the value.  Assume they’re gonna put Torrence next to Dawkins, so does this mean Dawkins doesn’t kick inside in a couple of years?  More importantly, you’ve got the left side of the line set up for a power scheme now, but not really the right side.  And running screen passes behind Dawkins and Torrence and asking them to get downfield and block?  I don’t think so.

Just an odd schematic fit to me but they’ve been doing this mismatch thing on the o-line for most of McD’s tenure.

I'm never a fan of drafting fat, slow-footed lineman in early rounds.   But the key point is what you mentioned..........what the hell are they doing scheme wise? :lol:

They just paid $7M aav to McGovern play G.....a guy who is all about athleticism and no anchor.........which was at consistent with Morse and Bates and their never ending attempts to become an outside zone running team.     

With Torrence at RG I don't think outside zone is something they can make their identity.........so maybe we get back to more of the inside zone and gap/pin-pull styles that they used with the lumbering Incognito and no-anchor Wood.    Mike Iupati.......a player Torrence has been compared to........fared well under Roman in SF as well.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Agree 4

Just now, Einstein said:

May have already been posted but just read he gave up 0 sacks in college and not even a pressure in 2022.

that’s quite the development, Einstein. Than you for sharing this news. We are lucky to have your smarts 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

This is gonna be Beanes best draft since 2018. 2 monster additions to the offense making Josh Allen’s life much easier. Who needs a good defense when you have that kind of fire power ?

Everyone.

Football isn't about offense. It's about both offense and defense.

Good good picks, but not because they're on the offense. Just because they're really good players and good bargains where picked.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm never a fan of drafting fat, slow-footed lineman in early rounds.   But the key point is what you mentioned..........what the hell are they doing scheme wise? :lol:

They just paid a guy $7M aav to McGovern play G.....a guy who is all about athleticism and no anchor.........which was at consistent with Morse and Bates and their never ending attempts to become an outside zone running team.     

With Torrence at RT I don't think outside zone is something they can make their identity.........so maybe we get back to more of the inside zone and gap/pin-pull styles that they used with the lumbering Incognito and no-anchor Wood.    Mike Iupati.......a player Torrence has been compared to........fared well under Roman in SF as well.     

and kromer coached well with Roman. 

I think there’s some questions, but they did a lot of work on this one so I imagine it wasn’t a knee jerk surprise they hadn’t thoroughly considered until the guy slipped to them 

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They just paid $7M aav to McGovern play G.....a guy who is all about athleticism and no anchor.........which was at consistent with Morse and Bates and their never ending attempts to become an outside zone running team.     

With Torrence at RT I don't think outside zone is something they can make their identity.........so maybe we get back to more of the inside zone and gap/pin-pull styles that they used with the lumbering Incognito and no-anchor Wood.    Mike Iupati.......a player Torrence has been compared to........fared well under Roman in SF as well.     

It does feel like another Cody Ford/Boogie Basham moment for Beane - poor scheme fit, heavy-footed plodder in the second who they’ll say they “were seriously thinking about in the first.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

Robert Griffin III @RGIII

O’Cyrus Torrence will be a people MOVING MACHINE for the Bills. 330 pounds of mean intentions who gave up 0 sacks in his college career across 46 starts at Louisiana and Florida. He was penalty free last season and is a walk-in starter on the interior. Josh Allen is SMILING.

Bills need someone who will not get penalties and none in last year of college is a good start.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.