RD 2, Pick 59: G O’Cyrus Torrence, Florida

SDS

2 hours ago, Magox said:

Was reading some things about him and the key points I found interesting.

- Excelled at Louisiana as a freshman - Freshman All American team

- All sunbelt conference his sophomore and junior years

- Wanted to take it to next level and goes to Florida and becomes consensus first team All American

- Goes to Senior Bowl and has stand out performance

- Did very well against Jalen Carter when he matched up against him

- Had high pass and run blocking grades consistently throughout his collegiate career

- Never gave up a single sack or QB knockdown his senior year with Florida against top SEC competition

- Never gave up a sack in over 3000 snaps his entire collegiate career

- Didn’t have a single penalty called against him at Florida his senior year

All this guy has ever done is been consistently very good everywhere he has gone.

you can only win the battle in front of you and he’s done it with a lot of consistency and at high levels.

i do agree with sentiments that he’s a weird fit on paper and have concerns that hes maybe a guy they didn’t love at 27 but got excited to see slide without remembering why they didn’t love him at 27. See guys like epenesa, basham, ford possibly being examples of weighing a guy as “would we take him if the board jams us up” turning to “hey we talked about that guy much higher let’s snag him” ignoring the profile not really matching the need so much as the position matching a need walking in 

if kromer can make him into Carl nicks, it’s a home run though. 

Glass half full still.

2 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

maybe, but the guy does not move around much and is hard to move so hard so how tired can he get

Yea it’s the 10 yards on the occasional pull, not the mauling a 350 lbs DT 70 times that would wear him down 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I think the OL is in a slight transition.  Last year their lack of POWER in the interior was evident.  Basic OL Build thinking your left side is your Finesse and move side, your Right is your Power Side (Historical thinking) So I think they are looking to get more power inside to deal with the Jones, Wilkins, Donalds.  Our Interior was pushed around ALOT last year.  That has was the issue with the OL.  And they are looking to address it.  

Torrence can get better laterally once in a NFL weight room and change his body a bit.  I think he plays 10 lbs too heavy.  

This.👍

Considering he already dropped 17lbs for the combine and draft,  I'm not sure I want him to drop another 10lbs. (347 to 330...)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

This.👍

Considering he already dropped 17lbs for the combine and draft,  I'm not sure I want him to drop another 10lbs. (347 to 330...)

Yeah and Add in the experience on playing with and blocking for an offscript extend play QB and realizing NOT to hold, Just that along Upgrades Saffold.  and Blocking for an Allen type, Mahomes Type, Lamar type is REALLY hard to keep from committing penalties. It will be so nice (hopefully) seeing Allen not have to deal with immediate pressure in his face again.

• Like (+1) 1

He is different than our current lineman.  However, imagine it's 3rd or 4th and 1.  Josh Allen is under center but at the snap slides to his right.  This guy pushing in front with Josh pushing behind him?  That difference may be a difference we could use in such situations....and such situations were an issue.

Man… if Spencer Brown makes the jump, this OL “could” go toe to toe with the top lines in football.  

-Year 2 of Kromer

-McGovern as a plus in pass pro

-Torrence as a major upgrade to the IOL

-Bates goes back to utility 5 backup

-Still have Edwards as a backup IOL

-Ike, Q & Doyle round out the depth

The center-left side of our OL should provide reliable pass pro for Allen with Dawkins/McGovern/Morse, while Torrence and Brown should be able to maul people in short yardage. 

Just a fantastic job, on paper, from the Front Office in finally making it a priority to protect Allen, while also giving him some pieces on the OL and at RB that should take short yardage off his plate. 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah and Add in the experience on playing with and blocking for an offscript extend play QB and realizing NOT to hold, Just that along Upgrades Saffold.  and Blocking for an Allen type, Mahomes Type, Lamar type is REALLY hard to keep from committing penalties. It will be so nice (hopefully) seeing Allen not have to deal with immediate pressure in his face again.

Right there with you. Plus, Allen is always better rolling to the right when he has to get out of the pocket. Put Knox on the right side and Kincaid on the left. OOOOWWWWEEE, I am ready to jump through a table! (Well, not literally.  At my age I may break a hip...)🤣🤣🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Man… if Spencer Brown makes the jump, this OL “could” go toe to toe with the top lines in football.  

-Year 2 of Kromer

-McGovern as a plus in pass pro

-Torrence as a major upgrade to the IOL

-Bates goes back to utility 5 backup

-Still have Edwards as a backup IOL

-Ike, Q & Doyle round out the depth

The center-left side of our OL should provide reliable pass pro for Allen with Dawkins/McGovern/Morse, while Torrence and Brown should be able to maul people in short yardage. 

Just a fantastic job, on paper, from the Front Office in finally making it a priority to protect Allen, while also giving him some pieces on the OL and at RB that should take short yardage off his plate. 

Unfortunately, this optimistic and somewhat plausible scenario begins with a subjunctive. I still think you need a better plan B should Brown not work out.

1 minute ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Right there with you. Plus, Allen is always better rolling to the right when he has to get out of the pocket. Put Knox on the right side and Kincaid on the left. OOOOWWWWEEE, I am ready to jump through a table! (Well, not literally.  At my age I may break a hip...)🤣🤣🤣

OMG I am right there with you.  With my reactions to Kincaid and Torrance with First bumping my shoulder IS KILLING me today.  Getting more experience in age SUCKS

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Unfortunately, this optimistic and somewhat plausible scenario begins with a subjunctive. I still think you need a better plan B should Brown not work out.

I really hope Doyle is Healthy for a solid camp competition.  I would like him starting over Brown.  I always thought the Doyle upside was better than Browns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OMG I am right there with you.  With my reactions to Kincaid and Torrance with First bumping my shoulder IS KILLING me today.  Getting more experience in age SUCKS

I really hope Doyle is Healthy for a solid camp competition.  I would like him starting over Brown.  I always thought the Doyle upside was better than Browns.

Hadn't even been thinking about Doyle. That is interesting.

• Agree 1

I keep hearing that Cyrus kept falling in the draft because he is a guard in a guard only

I want to know why that’s such a bad thing if you’re really good at the one position that you play why are you going to get docked for it? No team is ever going to ask this guy to play anything other than guard and that’s OK.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I keep hearing that Cyrus kept falling in the draft because he is a guard in a guard only

I want to know why that’s such a bad thing if you’re really good at the one position that you play why are you going to get docked for it? No team is ever going to ask this guy to play anything other than guard and that’s OK.

I have no problem with a late 2nd for a guard only. We need IOL help. My concern was scheme fit, but there appears to be a rationale that explains it. I would not have been happy with this pick at 27. (Charlie Campbell mocked him to us.) It's a solid pick at 59.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

In todays NFL and Roster constraints, Ideally your IOL prospects are OG/OC or OG/OT (Specially if you are talking in round 1).  So just being an OG will hurt value, but I do think that sometimes when you are looking at a potential Pro-Bowl to All-Pro OG I dont care if he ONLY plays OG.  because he will NEVER move from this position.  But in terms of draft grading yes that position flexibility or lack there of will push you down boards.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I have no problem with a late 2nd for a guard only. We need IOL help. My concern was scheme fit, but there appears to be a rationale that explains it. I would not have been happy with this pick at 27. (Charlie Campbell mocked him to us.) It's a solid pick at 59.

I think he starts day one no matter how much McDermott talks about competition and Rick beats goes back to being a super sub at five different spots

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Bills are the poster boy for this.  They are obsessed with positional flexibility on the OL.   

Doyle, before he got hurt, was being cross trained at G & T.  

Torrence also isn’t overly mobile.  He’s not going to be a pulling guard very often. 

I think the Bills finally got fed up enough with the OL that they said “screw it”

and took a guy who may only be a Guard, but should make the position he plays one that Allen doesn’t have to worry about. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Bills are the poster boy for this.  They are obsessed with positional flexibility on the OL.   

Torrence also isn’t overly mobile.  He’s not going to be a pulling guard very often. 

I think the Bills finally got fed up enough with the OL that they said “screw it”

and took a guy who may only be a Guard, but should make the position he plays one that Allen doesn’t have to worry about. 

There’s definitely a different field to this draft, then previous drafts

If you would’ve told me that, our first pick in the draft was going to be a tight end, I would’ve said no way

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

They aren’t the boy at all for this.  Why do you think the best pure guard in the draft was available at 59?  If he he was a g/c or g/t he would of been top 20 with his physical skills 

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They aren’t the boy at all for this.  Why do you think the best pure guard in the draft was available at 59?  If he he was a g/c or g/t he would of been top 20 with his physical skills 

???

Not sure what your point is.  

We all know Torrence slipped due to being a Guard only, and some due to his lack of mobility relative to scheme fit. 

The Bills normally value positional flexibility on the OL.   They made an exception to lock down one of the Guard spots with a premier talent. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

???

Not sure what your point is.  

We all know Torrence slipped due to being a Guard only, and some due to his lack of mobility relative to scheme fit. 

The Bills normally value positional flexibility on the OL.   They made an exception to lock down one of the Guard spots with a premier talent. 

Versatility on the OL is huge.  OL is pretty banged up unit league wide.  Guys that can play multiple spots are more coveted 

Yea all I know if the bills IOL got their ShIIt pushed in against physical DL. I’m sick of Josh being flustered by Mia and NYJ lines. We need a large human beast with hands that will crush a man’s skull. 

You can have finesse at the other 4 spots 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

In todays NFL and Roster constraints, Ideally your IOL prospects are OG/OC or OG/OT (Specially if you are talking in round 1).  So just being an OG will hurt value, but I do think that sometimes when you are looking at a potential Pro-Bowl to All-Pro OG I dont care if he ONLY plays OG.  because he will NEVER move from this position.  But in terms of draft grading yes that position flexibility or lack there of will push you down boards.

Agree on everything

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Versatility on the OL is huge.  OL is pretty banged up unit league wide.  Guys that can play multiple spots are more coveted 

It usually is. But you have Bates, Q and Ike as depth/backups that can all play various positions. I think this was the right pick. Lock down the RG position and use the others for versatility.

While reading more on Cybo (😉) he played LG in 2019 and has also practiced C (not in games though).

There's an old saying, Jack of all trades, master of none. We need a couple of masters.😁

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Was reading some things about him and the key points I found interesting.

- Excelled at Louisiana as a freshman - Freshman All American team

- All sunbelt conference his sophomore and junior years

- Wanted to take it to next level and goes to Florida and becomes consensus first team All American

- Goes to Senior Bowl and has stand out performance

- Did very well against Jalen Carter when he matched up against him

- Had high pass and run blocking grades consistently throughout his collegiate career

- Never gave up a single sack or QB knockdown his senior year with Florida against top SEC competition

- Never gave up a sack in over 3000 snaps his entire collegiate career

- Didn’t have a single penalty called against him at Florida his senior year

All this guy has ever done is been consistently very good everywhere he has gone.

Not only has he been a phenomenal college guard who has been very consistent anytime he steps on the field whether it was lower/mid level competition or the elite level (SEC) or the Senior Bowl, he has elite level Wingspan of the top 1 percentile and top 3 percentile hand size.

Dude is tough to get around which is why he has never given up a sack in his career.   On top of that he has given up only 1 QB hit in the last two years and never gave up a single QB hit at Florida in the SEC.

Thats almost unheard of.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I totally get the benefits of versatility. Having said that, I’d rather have a guy who is outstanding at one position than a guy who is so-so at 2-3 positions. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

because early in the draft some positions are more valuable. A good tackle is a rarer skill set. 

do you wonder why a safety  slides more than a corner? 

guards don’t need as elite a skill set. 

Edited by NoSaint

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I totally get the benefits of versatility. Having said that, I’d rather have a guy who is outstanding at one position than a guy who is so-so at 2-3 positions. 

Agree.  I am just pointing out why those single position only players tend to get pushed down boards.  When you are using a top pick it is easier hedging risk.  very very rarely (specially in the IOL) will you see a OG only get drafted in the 1st.  That is by no means a nock on Torrence I have him projected at a 10 year pro with all-pro potential.  So I absolutely will spend a late first on that, and OBVIOUSLY a late second in a heartbeat.  It is risk management with certain positions like IOL is all and how it affects grading sometimes.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Everyone.

Football isn't about offense. It's about both offense and defense.

Good good picks, but not because they're on the offense. Just because they're really good players and good bargains were picked.

Bills will be just fine without Edmunds. My point is I’m glad they didn’t draft a MLB high and instead went w/ the #1 TE prospect + top rated guard Torrence. Those 2 will more than make up for whatever setbacks the defense faces without #49. We have never had an elite TE before (they are almost as difficult to find as a franchise QB.) Just the thought of one paired w/ Allen gives me goosebumps. This type of draft has been long overdue assuming the picks pan out. The defense will continue to be a top 10 unit which is more than enough w/ an offense of this caliber. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

It usually is. But you have Bates, Q and Ike as depth/backups that can all play various positions. I think this was the right pick. Lock down the RG position and use the others for versatility.

While reading more on Cybo (😉) he played LG in 2019 and has also practiced C (not in games though).

There's an old saying, Jack of all trades, master of none. We need a couple of masters.😁

We have Master Bates. Excited Season 5 GIF by The Office

• Haha (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Agree.  I am just pointing out why those single position only players tend to get pushed down boards.  When you are using a top pick it is easier hedging risk.  very very rarely (specially in the IOL) will you see a OG only get drafted in the 1st.  That is by no means a nock on Torrence I have him projected at a 10 year pro with all-pro potential.  So I absolutely will spend a late first on that, and OBVIOUSLY a late second in a heartbeat.  It is risk management with certain positions like IOL is all and how it affects grading sometimes.

I think it’s much more the “could he be a tackle but I’ll settle for guard player has more upside value because tackle not because versatility 

This guy, a big slot in Kincaid, and Damien Harris… adds a different dimension to the offense that it was lacking.  More physicality was definitely needed on the offense.  

In regards to the defense, it looks like they’re banking on Tre returning to form, the return of Hyde, Elam making a leap, Rapp adding some physicality to the back 7, and replacing Edmunds by committee.  I could see Oliver stepping it up in a contract year, and continued improvement from Rousseau.  Jones, Phillips and Shaq provide steady play and hopefully Epenesa and Basham show some marginal improvement and Von rounds into form by end of season. 

• Like (+1) 4

46 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Need to finish the quote.

"But oftentimes, better than a master of one."

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This guy, a big slot in Kincaid, and Damien Harris… adds a different dimension to the offense that it was lacking.  More physicality was definitely needed on the offense.  

In regards to the defense, it looks like they’re banking on Tre returning to form, the return of Hyde, Elam making a leap, Rapp adding some physicality to the back 7, and replacing Edmunds by committee.  I could see Oliver stepping it up in a contract year, and continued improvement from Rousseau.  Jones, Phillips and Shaq provide steady play and hopefully Epenesa and Basham show some marginal improvement and Von rounds into form by end of season. 

A WHOLE different dimension.  Can't wait. Opens up the run gm, play action too.

Way less predictable how we attack a team on a weekly basis

Edited by JerseyBills

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Can we put Dawand Jones next to him please

He is allegedly off a lot of teams' boards because of character issues and he is a sloppy big guy. I would take a chance on him with the sixth round pick.

Edited by Dr. Who

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.