Regardless of what you think of him as a coach, McDermott is a really good man.

Draconator

I think it’s a cool video but I don’t think he made the decision right there, coach likely told him ahead of time kid’s getting a scholarship and McDermott got to deliver the message. Cool moment, but not really a character moment for McDermott. I do think he oozes character otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

I think it’s a cool video but I don’t think he made the decision right there, coach likely told him ahead of time kid’s getting a scholarship and McDermott got to deliver the message. Cool moment, but not really a character moment for McDermott. I do think he oozes character otherwise. 

Yeah that thing was choreographed but still a cool moment for the kid.  No one can or should ever doubt Sean's character.  He's an amazing human being who still is searching to refine other areas of improvement.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

I don’t know man, it seemed pretty authentic to me. 

Rumor has it Rex Ryan makes all the scholarship decisions at Southwestern Oklahoma State without consulting anybody else on campus.  

37 minutes ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

Yes and no. Life is so much bigger than football. It's not always about Xs and Os. Good character always counts and should be recognized. 

However, pro football is about winning. The character aspect takes a back seat to winning. If coaches don't win their character and good guy mentality will be secondary. 

• Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

No, he, like every other human on earth, should be judged, even in specific contexts like how good he is as an NFL head coach, based on many things. Yeah, wins and losses might be the biggest thing, but there's plenty more.

And Sean in in wins and losses is very good.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Yes and no. Life is so much bigger than football. It's not always about Xs and Os. Good character always counts and should be recognized. 

However, pro football is about winning. The character aspect takes a back seat to winning. If coaches don't win their character and good guy mentality will be secondary

So true. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Good thing his win-loss record is excellent then.

PS:  If someone gave me 5 guesses to figure out who wrote your highly predictable and tone deaf response to this thread, I would have won.  

• Haha (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Like Coach Beard says in Ted Lasso, these are professionals and wins and losses do matter and he wants to win. 

Nothing against McDermott as a person. He appears to be a fine communiticator and has shown that on multiple occasions.  I just don't think he is good enough to win a SuperBowl. 

It’s ironic you’re using a quote from Ted Lasso to highlight how wins and losses matter with the human element not being important 😂

Edited by JGMcD2

4 hours ago, Airseven said:

Go back and read the first five words of the title of this thread.  They make your reply completely irrelevant.  That may make this thread the clubhouse leader for thread of the year.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think anyone can ever question McDermott's character or work ethic. He's going to be the best McDermott he can be. But him at peak McDermott might not be enough for this team.

He could probably go coach the Bears or Panthers and get them into the playoffs. We need a super bowl winning coach now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

No disputing he’s a decent person and an outstanding motivator and leader. Important attributes for a HC. The problem is this is a bottom line business and it’s results that defines success. If you have your franchise QB and a good roster, get to a SB in 6 years or a new voice is necessary.

9 hours ago, Draconator said:

He was inducted into his Alma Mater's Hall of Fame (William and Mary). Before that, he had a special message for Freshman long snapper, Nick Levy. 

My son went to it and got a picture with him.  Also got one with Steve Christie. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Airseven said:

Can you please abort yourself?

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Really? 4 quick topic starts? Does nobody like you in your house?

I have Viagara. Makes me a VERY HAPPY man! You should try it. 

9 hours ago, Draconator said:

He was inducted into his Alma Mater's Hall of Fame (William and Mary). Before that, he had a special message for Freshman long snapper, Nick Levy. 

Nice guy? I don’t give a crap.

Good father? Screw you go home and play with your kids.

If you want to be the head coach of the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills, go win a Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. If you can’t do that, get the f out of here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1

I'm bemused by the McDermott criticism.  

He's very predictably been too defense-oriented but that was a given when he was hired.   He wasn't McVay or Shanahan and everyone should have known that at hiring.

And he isn't great at game management.   But he's getting better.

But coaches like McDermott do win SB's.   Cases in point Bill Cowher and Andy Reid.   Yes, Reid.   Philly was too defense oriented under him and his clock management was often horrific.   He tried to win with less on offense.....in KC early on as well........and fell short over and over.   Took him a couple decades and a lot of circumstance to turn into a genius.

I knew McD wasn't a quick fix guy so I guess I'm not surprised that he hasn't won a SB in essentially just 3 legit chances to do so.

• Like (+1) 1

You negative posters really cant help yourselves.  It's march go do something else other than constantly whine and cry.  Life is about so much more than the Bills and football. 

If this team makes you that miserable you seriously need to reflect on your life and where it's at.

If you're trolling and spreading misery brings you joy please again reevaluate yourself.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Airseven said:

It’s statements like this, put out in the context that that it was made, that sends the signal that you are in dire need of an alternate hobby, lighten up Francis…, 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, McBean said:

Nice guy? I don’t give a crap.

Good father? Screw you go home and play with your kids.

If you want to be the head coach of the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills, go win a Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. If you can’t do that, get the f out of here.

Yet your username is McBean. 

I think you're schizophrenic personally...

• Like (+1) 1

Who cares.    Beat the Bengals and don’t choke away a lead with 13 secs left vs the Chiefs 

Focus all that nice guy energy into not choking away games.  

He should sign his paycheck over to Josh Allen for saving his ass on repeat 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, section122 said:

You negative posters really cant help yourselves.  It's march go do something else other than constantly whine and cry.  Life is about so much more than the Bills and football. 

If this team makes you that miserable you seriously need to reflect on your life and where it's at.

If you're trolling and spreading misery brings you joy please again reevaluate yourself.

When you hire a culture guy instead of an innovator..........you've chosen the longer path.    But it's a win-now league so criticism follows coaches like McDermott who are great during the week but a work-in-progress on Sundays.    Don't get yourself exercised about it.   The criticisms might be exaggerated but not unwarranted.   McDermott(and Beane) have to get better at what they do if they expect to win a SB.   I actually like that McD is probably taking over the defensive play calling.   That represents an attempt at progress with disregard to the potential for added accountability.  

There are many people in today time that look at things through different lenses or in a glass half empty mentality which has something about the time we live in but if winning is the only thing they see in a person from a leadership standpoint that's pretty sad . I'm willing to bet that Marv is looked at with high regard inspire of him not winning the big game .

Some just can't or won't see the forest for the trees or don't care to .

McDermott is very much in the mold of Tomlin and John Harbaugh as a head coach. All three are great coaches with high regular season winning percentages. Question is, will McDermott still be here when Allen and the Bills finally make it to the Super Bowl? Personally, I don't think the odds are all that great he will still be the coach when that time comes. 

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you hire a culture guy instead of an innovator..........you've chosen the longer path.    But it's a win-now league so criticism follows coaches like McDermott who are great during the week but a work-in-progress on Sundays.    Don't get yourself exercised about it.   The criticisms might be exaggerated but not unwarranted.   McDermott(and Beane) have to get better at what they do if they expect to win a SB.   I actually like that McD is probably taking over the defensive play calling.   That represents an attempt at progress with disregard to the potential for added accountability.  

It's going to be incredibly interesting to see the general attitude here regarding McD if we don't win the division this season or get bounce in the WC or Divisional round again.  

It's funny over the years how opinions have changed on a dime in a matter of months.  

Having said that, let's win the Super Bowl this year!

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good thing his win-loss record is excellent then.

PS:  If someone gave me 5 guesses to figure out who wrote your highly predictable and tone deaf response to this thread, I would have won.  

Can I have the other 4 guesses to see if I am right?  PM if you do not want to make it public.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.