What's The Likelihood That Gabe Davis Will Get A Contract Extension?

Kangaxx

My question is whether Gabe can right the ship when the real season starts? Last year and in his rookie season he put together some great games. He’s had some disappointing drops but he gets separation and Josh obviously trusts him because he got 10 targets yesterday. I’m holding out hope for this guy. We need him.

• Like (+1) 2

Other teams seem to get more out of young/rookie players earlier than we do. I am not sure Davis is done here. I definitely don't think he is done in the league. 

But Shakir is supposed to be versatile and play both inside and out. He hasn't spelled either Davis in any meaningful way. I don understand that Davis is physically a better player. 

Our struggles at slot are a thorn in my side. Shakir can play inside, but almost never takes any meaningful snaps. Hodgins is turning out to be a great slot guy for the NYG. (405/693 snaps are inside) We also grabbed both Hines and Cook for their ability to line up wide and they never do. (83 and 28 snaps out wide respectively)

Davis is cheap labor for 2023 but I really hope he's not given the number 2 job outright — I'd love to see someone brought in (draft in all likelihood as we don't have the bucks for a big free agent signing) and some real competition for the number two spot during offseason.

Would McDermott choose to make a fourth-year player fight for his third-year roster spot?

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

My only disagreement with you, Einstein, is that I honestly believe he is at best a 2b.  I think either in the draft or in FA we have to find a better compliment to Diggs.

we have seen him make some deep plays, but his speed is a question mark for what is likely needed for a 2 here.

I will also echo, I won’t be shocked to learn there’s some lingering core/lower body injury. It could help explain his lack of agility and seeming to not have great body control (both middle of the field, and around sidelines) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We heard the Vikings CB say Gabe only runs 3 routes, so that tells me Gabe's mental game is far from top notch. We've seen some communication hiccups as well as lack of focus/concentration.

Just compare top 3 teams in the AFC and the Bills are woefully behind on completions in comparison. The best Gabe Davis can hope for is a 1 year prove it deal, but I think our priority in the Draft will be a top WR with a 5th year option. That should gives us a #2 under price control that take us towards end of the Stephon Diggs era. 

The exact same thing can be said about McKenzie.... time to move on.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/kc/kansas-city-chiefs

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/cin/cincinnati-bengals

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/buf

Edited by ddaryl

39 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We heard the Vikings CB say Gabe only runs 3 routes, so that tells me Gabe's mental game is far from top notch. We've seen some communication hiccups as well as lack of focus/concentration.

I don't know that if that is Davis' fault or Dorsey's. According to Cover 1, Davis went from being in the slot ~33% of time in prior years to <10% this year. That is a huge shift in usage and could explain some things.

Edited by Wraith
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't know that if that is Davis' fault or Dorsey's. According to Cover 1, Davis went from being in the slot ~33% of time in prior years to <10% this year. That is a huge shift in usage and could explain some things.

Not a big fan of Dorsey this year either, and if Dorsey only has minimum routes designed for Gabe then WTF???  but Gabe's drops and lack of focus has nothing to do with Dorsey.

I like Gabe and he's come up big, but also hasn't done anything to establish himself as a threat that relieves pressure on Diggs.  I agree that he's better lined up in the slot, but he's not a slot receiver.  I let him play out his deal and see what next year does for him.  

Sadly, someone will pay him.  He may not get Kirk money, but I could see him getting 12-15 per.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I like Gabe and he's come up big, but also hasn't done anything to establish himself as a threat that relieves pressure on Diggs.  I agree that he's better lined up in the slot, but he's not a slot receiver.  I let him play out his deal and see what next year does for him.  

Sadly, someone will pay him.  He may not get Kirk money, but I could see him getting 12-15 per.  

Virgil, I mentioned a couple of months back (just pulling numbers out my backside) that when he is available that someone will give him a 4 year 50 million dollar deal, so I hear you on the above.

I just don't want it to be the Bills.

He is a 2b or a solid 3 on a team. 

• Like (+1) 1

The answer is Pickens or Christian Watson.  Would have served as WR 2B.   

Both add an element that make this offense ridiculous.  That’s nothing against Gabe, just another draft pick in a SB run year you can absolutely question.  The idea of a CB was correct but it’s currently a bad miss.  For now.

But we need production, now.  

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

I think the biggest change with Gabe Davis this year is that NFL defenses are being allowed to be more physical with receivers this season.

He's always had rather hard hands........but for whatever reason he not only can't win contested catch situations but also just rough play before he breaks open leaves him unable to re-focus himself and catch the football.  

I do think the increased physicality allowed in the secondary was a reaction by ownership to receivers with less than full WR1 skillsets like Davis being allowed to look like studs in the stat ledger by illegal contact/holding/PI penalties.   WR2's and WR3's putting up big numbers and getting paid like WR1's is bad for payroll control.    

• Like (+1) 2

Bills have to be looking at the Claypool trade and wondering if they could pull it off too. I think its possible with the wr market the way it is. Gabe has more than returned on investment, but he has been given ample time and shown he's not a wr2. I doubt they could get more than a late 2nd but to get the production we've got from Gabe and then trade him for a 2nd would make beane look even more like a genius.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He’s the only WR we have with any size. 

Take him away and we’re back to the 2006-2007 Smurf Bills that caused them to take James Hardy.

gosh those teams blew.  hardy was a lazy undeveloped player who's entire life went down the drain quickly too.  factory of sadness years.

we need some kind of change up WR2, big, strong, fast, something that stands out.  GD i honestly thought would break out and be a star, but he's just not that good.

I'm hoping that Davis is still a little banged up and that Allen's elbow took away some other chances he had this year and that we can extend Gabe on an extremely affordable deal and he blows up next year when everyone is healthy and all of a sudden we have a stud #2 WR on a #3 WR deal.

Back as I come back to reality, I just hope he scares the Chiefs and Bengals this postseason and Diggs, Knox, etc dominate underneath 

He's been frustrating to watch because we've seen him better.  He might just be a high end WR3/4 and not good enough to be a 2. Give me Jakobi Myers or Gallup next season and we'll probably see Davis flourish because of it. 

On 1/9/2023 at 10:34 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Do we REALLY know what we have in Elam?? Limited action throughout the season

Up until this year, I had full faith and trust in how our staff handles the secondary.  They could literally do whatever they want and I'd be like.. ok, you know best.

This year... I've lost some of that faith.  

From a fan's point of view, the musical chairs at CB has been absolutely bizarre.  How anyone could make any judgment on what Kaiir Elam is, is beyond me.  The mistake he made in playing the ball last week should have been mistakes made earlier in the year, with time to learn from.. as rookies do.  

• Agree 1

I still wish we had brought in more outside help and played Davis as more of a big slot. He was used in the slot on like 25-30% of his snaps the last two years but it's where 50+% of his production came from if I remember correctly from when I had a PFF trial, not to mention how helpful his run blocking was in the slot. I don't really get why we decided to build the team around almost exclusively using him out wide this year. Feels like a miscalculation, not to mention we obviously really struggled to find a good slot option either.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

He isn’t worth the investment.  I’d rather draft his replacement this year than pay him any where near what he will get on the open market.  And this is from someone who thought he was going to have a big year.  

But he has shown me he is a low end number 2 WR probably better suited as a 3rd WR.  His drops, lack of awareness at times, bad feet, and lack of consistently getting open has all just been too much this year to consider paying him like a #2 WR.

Yep, I think we need to draft WR and OL, so it might as well be with the expectation that it's Davis' replacement. Maybe that even lights a fire under him, who knows.  This draft should be all about getting weapons and protection for the face of the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I still wish we had brought in more outside help and played Davis as more of a big slot. He was used in the slot on like 25-30% of his snaps the last two years but it's where 50+% of his production came from if I remember correctly from when I had a PFF trial, not to mention how helpful his run blocking was in the slot. I don't really get why we decided to build the team around almost exclusively using him out wide this year. Feels like a miscalculation, not to mention we obviously really struggled to find a good slot option either.

They did: John Brown.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I wonder/hope that Brown gave them some confidence to roll out packages with Diggs & Brown outside, with Davis in the slot. 

35 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

I wouldn't be all that surprised if he's a healthy scratch next week, unless they use like only for a decoy. 

I will be severely disappointed if this is the case. Imo it's more likely McKenzie gets benched and we roll with Beasley/Shakir in the slot and Diggs/Davis/Smoke on the outside.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.