What's The Likelihood That Gabe Davis Will Get A Contract Extension?

Kangaxx

The correct answer is that it will depend largely on how he plays next year, and while many assume we know how that will be, we don't. We can guess, but we don't know. Sometimes guesses work out and sometimes they don't.

It will also depend on what kind of numbers he demands.

Before the year it looked like he might be one of our top priorities over the next couple of years. With the way he played this year he no longer looks like that much of a priority. If he plays better in the future, he will get more money and he'll have more leverage.

If he levels off at his current level he won't get a ton of money, here or elsewhere.

WR is very likely to be one of the three or four areas they might be willing to use a higher pick on this year. Probably they might bring in a good solid WR the way Polian brought in Bill Brooks.

• Like (+1) 1

It's disappointing how Gabe's season has been so far this year.

He's under contract for $1.2M next season and he has a chance to be in the mix again.

It's up to him if he can repair his drops and get an extension.  I like him and hope he can do it but if he can't, thanks for the memories.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Josh was 3 of 10 going to him today. Bad sign.

Yeah, 3 of 10 is not good.

But let's not pretend that any receiver's catch percentage is totally on him. It's on him, on the QB and on the defense.

1st 12:07 INC  Should've had it but the ball was well behind him, for no reason.

1st 3:36  INC  Should've been caught

1st 3:32  COMP

1st  2:04 INC  Gabe was wide open, Josh didn't get it over Tavai and it was tipped away with Gabe having no chance

1st 0:39  COMP, a crucial one on 3rd and 7

2nd 0:38 INC  Gabe Open in the end zone but LB coming from the other side, far overthrown or thrown away

2nd 0:14  INT  Allen hit as he threw, ball came nowhere near Gabe, he appeared open, though he was almost out of the frame

3rd  4:37  INC  Couldn't see it, the Game Pass film skipped and Nance said, "off the hands of Gabe Davis", dunno what happened.

4th  11:36  COMP

4th  3:47  INC  the long one where the defender was very close but Josh hit him, just a bad play by Gabe in the end zone

This wasn't a good game, but three of those ten came nowhere near him and one was thrown hard and behind him and was a hard ball to catch though he should've caught it. Three completions, two bad incompletions and one I won't know till we get the All-22.

Three of ten paints a picture that is far worse than Gabe deserves.

38 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, 3 of 10 is not good.

But let's not pretend that any receiver's catch percentage is totally on him. It's on him, on the QB and on the defense.

1st 12:07 INC  Should've had it but the ball was well behind him, for no reason.

1st 3:36  INC  Should've been caught

1st 3:32  COMP

1st  2:04 INC  Gabe was wide open, Josh didn't get it over Tavai and it was tipped away with Gabe having no chance

1st 0:39  COMP, a crucial one on 3rd and 7

2nd 0:38 INC  Gabe Open in the end zone but LB coming from the other side, far overthrown or thrown away

2nd 0:14  INT  Allen hit as he threw, ball came nowhere near Gabe, he appeared open, though he was almost out of the frame

3rd  4:37  INC  Couldn't see it, the Game Pass film skipped and Nance said, "off the hands of Gabe Davis", dunno what happened.

4th  11:36  COMP

4th  3:47  INC  the long one where the defender was very close but Josh hit him, just a bad play by Gabe in the end zone

This wasn't a good game, but three of those ten came nowhere near him and one was thrown hard and behind him and was a hard ball to catch though he should've caught it. Three completions, two bad incompletions and one I won't know till we get the All-22.

Three of ten paints a picture that is far worse than Gabe deserves.

The throw in the third at 4:37 was a bad throw and way behind him. He did reach back for it but wasn’t really catchable.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

colts wildcard! so weird to see a guy regress like this. especially hearing so many players talking about him being one of the harder workers at OBD

I will say, I won’t be shocked to learn there’s some sort of story. 

he’s not supposed to be a fast guy, but am I the only one to think he’s agility totally disappeared and body control isn’t great? His change of direction or stopping feels like watching a cruise ship sometimes. I haven’t pulled All 22 to key on him but wouldn’t be shocked to find out he has one or more lower body and/core injuries the way he seems to be moving when I’ve seen him 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Could it be a lack of focus on his part? 

Yeah, not sure one thing that we did differently this year than we did last as we brought in a veteran wide receiver to play in front of Gabe and possibly that push game to be better this year we asked Gabe to step into that role and he’s not awful but he hasn’t produced like a number 1a

To the life of me I do not understand how Beane let’s a guy like I. Hodgins - who simply produced every time given the opportunity- go and keep butter fingers McKenzie, alarming dropsy Davis and no production, Beasely. If Hodgins had a even upper tier QB in NY, his production would go up exponentially. How in the world can JA keep throwing to these guys?!? My crusade for the return of Hodgins continues….

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It's interesting you mention bad feet as recall a number of times as rookie and last year, a number of catches he'd make along sidelines and always manage to stay in bounds.   He was often praised for that, but seems to have forgot all that

Yeah that Colts playoff game where we ended Philip Rivers career Gabe had a few insane game saving sideline grabs.  I felt like he was a top 20 WR for sure after that game.  Def leveled out and has struggled at times.  Dropped a game winnee in Miami this year and Jets last play bounced off his facemask.  Dropped a TD today.  I dunno man, I think we let him play out his contract.

I think if we had 2021 Gabe Davis instead of 2022 Gabe Davis, we're no worse than 15-2 and probably 16-1.  The AFCCG would be in Buffalo, no neutral site, and on to the SB. Davis did NOT lose those three games himself, but if he'd made plays when they were there to be made, the Bills (who lost 3 games by 8 points total) would have the 1 seed wrapped up.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

0 percent at this point. Gabe is completely replaceable. Hurts to say that because I thought he was a near guarantee to breakout this year. But at this point he needs a good playoff performance just to guarantee he has a roster spot next year and Beane doesn’t start looking for a replacement  early.

Fool me once shame on you etc etc. If we dont go WR 1st or 2nd, ill be major dissappointed.

Were a passing team, need to keep the mag full. Let superstars rub off on young major talent. Have a few wonderful wr s to keep, and then let the higher expense guys walk (unless performing to contract or above, see Diggs)

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, his numbers are better than they were last year when we loved him

He’s making mistakes at in opportune moments, but he is definitely not awful

His numbers are better because he’s been the #2 all season, so it’s due to the target volume.  Last year he was never really a number 2 WR with guys like Sanders and Cole here.  

And he is under performing significantly of expectations and reliability.  I almost cringe now when we throw to him because he is so unreliable.  

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

His numbers are better because he’s been the #2 all season, so it’s due to the target volume.  Last year he was never really a number 2 WR with guys like Sanders and Cole here.  

And he is under performing significantly of expectations and reliability.  I almost cringe now when we throw to him because he is so unreliable.  

I think he has underperformed expectations for sure. We wanter to see him go from a time share #2 to a star #2 and he hasn't. His numbers are steady middle of the league #2 numbers but really as you say he has basically just stayed the same performance wise but with more volume. 

My conclusion is Gabe is a NFL #2 outside receiver. But a pretty mediocre one. And I just don't think the Bills can justify paying him big money based on where they are. I'd draft a guy early in April, have Gabe and that guy jobshare in 2023 and then let Gabe go with our best wishes (and a fair chance that he nets a decent comp pick) after next season.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, RenoNVBillsfan said:

To the life of me I do not understand how Beane let’s a guy like I. Hodgins - who simply produced every time given the opportunity- go and keep butter fingers McKenzie, alarming dropsy Davis and no production, Beasely. If Hodgins had a even upper tier QB in NY, his production would go up exponentially. How in the world can JA keep throwing to these guys?!? My crusade for the return of Hodgins continues….

I doubt the Giants would trade him.

20 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

It’s weird, because all I heard about all off-season was how hard he works, and how much he focuses on his attention to detail. Then, he comes out and has made so many mental errors that you wonder what the heck he was doing all off-season.

Honestly I think he's in his own head. He's making mental errors he didn't make before. He really did put in the work last off-season, and he wasn't bad earlier in the season. Probably has a case of the yips

• Like (+1) 2

Given his inconsistency in catching passes, I don't want him to be brought back. 

Second aspect is that we are short on deep threat capabilities, a gap being temporarily filled by Brown.

If Davis leaves, we will have 2 openings at the WR spot. I am fine with that as it is an opportunity to increase the effectiveness of the O. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

9 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Given his inconsistency in catching passes, I don't want him to be brought back. 

Second aspect is that we are short on deep threat capabilities, a gap being temporarily filled by Brown.

If Davis leaves, we will have 2 openings at the WR spot. I am fine with that as it is an opportunity to increase the effectiveness of the O. 

Wr, OL, Wr, OL

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.