With the Eagles and Chiefs making roster moves, are the Bills already good enough to stand pat?

tomur67

The consensus top three teams in the NFL are the Eagles, Bills, and Chiefs. Anyone who doesn't raise an eyebrow at the Bills being the only ones to not make a move is looking at the situation through rose-colored homer glasses. The Eagles and Chiefs see an opportunity to get even more dominant and seize. The Bills are like, "No thanks, we're fine as long as everyone stays healthy."

These teams are trying to catch up to us.

I think we have a lot of young guys who will actually get better as the season goes on. 

Upgrading the RB position is the item I focus on. I feel we need a depth RB who can replace the Moss role. Frankly, I wonder if we could not pull off a solid move just plucking someone like a Blackshear from a PS.

Historically, trades in season are a bust. Too much capital given up, not enough yield. There is a baseball like mentality that has taken over football, and I think it's mostly folly. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

It's becoming an Arm's race in the NFL where the teams at the top are trying to bolster their lineups.  I wouldn't hate it if the Bills traded for someone significant.  Let's face it, if a player like Diggs or Singletary gets injured, the offense will take a serious hit. 

40 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The consensus top three teams in the NFL are the Eagles, Bills, and Chiefs. Anyone who doesn't raise an eyebrow at the Bills being the only ones to not make a move is looking at the situation through rose-colored homer glasses. The Eagles and Chiefs see an opportunity to get even more dominant and seize. The Bills are like, "No thanks, we're fine as long as everyone stays healthy."

Or we trust the GM to think both short and long term. I’d be upset if we gave up a 3rd rounder for a player like Toney.  If there’s a deal that does make sense I hope they pull the trigger.

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

2nd and a 6th for Jeudy in a heartbeat…But McBeane are very sensitive to the locker room and I feel they won’t want to give Davis any false sense of long term insecurity by trading for Jeudy… and I think they want to sign Davis long term…. Beane is also rather conservative when it comes to giving up draft picks… even if giving up those draft picks for a big time player would put them over the top. 

Id love a trade for Jeudy, and I’d give Davis assurances behind the scenes that he’s our guy as long as he keeps putting in the work … but a 2nd and 6th seems high if Toney (with one more year on his rookie contract) went for a 3rd and 6th.  

That may be correct, given Jeudy has a #1 skill set, albeit playing like a JAG so far, while Toney is more of a slot/chess piece player.   But the cost control piece between the two does seem noteworthy when it comes to compensation. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I was under the impression Jeudy had two years left on his rookie deal… If just one year than yea, that probably is a little high. 

He is putting up JAG like numbers because the Broncos offense and QB are trash.

Plausible, but you can't really say for sure. I'd take a shot for a reasonable price, though.

32 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I was under the impression Jeudy had two years left on his rookie deal… If just one year than yea, that probably is a little high. 

He is putting up JAG like numbers because the Broncos offense and QB are trash.

His hands and heart are also being questioned too Scott. He’s afraid to take a hit to make a play. 

Do I want an upgrade on offence? Absolutely I do. But it has to be the right upgrade

43 minutes ago, DJB said:

His hands and heart are also being questioned too Scott. He’s afraid to take a hit to make a play. 

Do I want an upgrade on offence? Absolutely I do. But it has to be the right upgrade

I just have faith that we wouldn’t acquire a guy / nor would a guy act b***hmade in this WR room, on this team.  

If Jeudy truly plays scared we would never go after him and/or JA, Diggs, Davis, Hall, Von etc would be in his face until he mans up. 

Same reason I have no issue with OBJ … Beane via JA and co. knows the temperature of the locker room.  They won’t go after guys who don’t fit. 

2 hours ago, DJB said:

No way on Cam Akers. 

No way, guy blew out his Achilles and has looked bad this year. 

At least Hunt has stayed healthy and gives the Bills some size. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What about Jarvis Landry? Bills were very interested in him in the offseason. Saints having a terrible season. Expiring contract. Low cap hit. Fills the slot role, can play outside.

No interest, he's just like Beasley, John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jamison Crowder - guys at the end of the line. 

I'd rather see the Bills just develop Shakir. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

No way on Cam Akers. 

No way, guy blew out his Achilles and has looked bad this year. 

At least Hunt has stayed healthy and gives the Bills some size. 

No interest, he's just like Beasley, John Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jamison Crowder - guys at the end of the line. 

I'd rather see the Bills just develop Shakir. 

They are developing Shakir. Landry would be a rental.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

2nd and a 6th for Jeudy in a heartbeat…But McBeane are very sensitive to the locker room and I feel they won’t want to give Davis any false sense of long term insecurity by trading for Jeudy… and I think they want to sign Davis long term…. Beane is also rather conservative when it comes to giving up draft picks… even if giving up those draft picks for a big time player would put them over the top. 

We good....Jeudy is not worth a 2nd but I'd take Hamler for a 5th. It would be nice to get a better LG than Saffold. We have to sign Gabe.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

We're always going to have dead cap space - it's the nature of the beast.  $16M is probably league average (says me without doing any research)

Bills have $22M in dead cap actually

League ave dead cap is $30M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

But Beane of recent years has managed it to be much lower - $9M last year, $12M 2020

Part of the cap management is beyond the GM's control though (example: Eric Wood injury)

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What about Jarvis Landry? Bills were very interested in him in the offseason. Saints having a terrible season. Expiring contract. Low cap hit. Fills the slot role, can play outside.

Hate the guy, but he is good.

In short, yes I think barring any serious injuries the rest of the way this team is probably still going to be the prohibitive favorite to win it all unless the Chiefs make a big time move for a defensive star and try to mimic what the Rams did last year which would also be out of character for their GM.

Eagles I still don't see in the same class as the Bills (or Chiefs) even if they make another big move if anything because Hurts isn't anywhere close to JA17 or  Mahomes.

19 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

What about the 16mil in dead cap this year that won’t be there next year?

It won't lower next year's figures any. 

The available cap figures for next year on Spotrac ( - $7.555M ) and OverTheCap already include the fact that so far next year's dead cap is only $1.339M. This year's dead cap figures mean nothing to next year that hasn't already been calculated.

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It won't lower next year's figures any. 

The available cap figures for next year on Spotrac ( - $7.555M ) and OverTheCap already include the fact that so far next year's dead cap is only $1.339M. This year's dead cap figures mean nothing to next year that hasn't already been calculated.

I know. I was responding to someone mentioning Allen’s cap hit increase, which has also already been factored in. 

The problem (if you really want to see it that way) with being the best team in the NFL is that everyone is going to make you pay a premium for what they got. I'm not sure Beane is willing to buy high, even in a window like this.  Whether or not he should is probably debatable. If the Bills could have landed Von Miller in a trade last year I have a feeling we might be the reigning super bowl champs instead of LA.  I definitely wouldn't mind the acquisition of another skill player either. 

Or go sign OBJ if he's healthy enough to play. Low risk, huge reward. 

6 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Nonsense.

Anyone who thinks the situations of those teams are very similar doesn't get it.

The Chiefs have $18M available under the cap right now, most of which will roll over onto the $11.98M they have available in 2023. And those figures include Toney. The Eagles have $10.1M available this year, which will roll over onto the $11.987M they have available for 2023. That's after picking up Quinn, not before.

Whereas the Bills have $1.6M under the cap right now, which will probably mostly roll over onto next year's figure of -$7.555, leaving us a total, post-maximum possible rollover, of about -$4.95M.

That's a big difference, as is the fact that the Bills don't have any areas of weakness as obvious as those teams did. It was a good move for both of those teams, but a lot of that is because they had bigger needs and more resources.

Quinn is older and while he appears solid he's not having an especially effective year, and Toney has been very injury-prone. Both of those moves could turn out to be good for those teams. Or not.

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Mark Dominik, former Bucs GM, said if he were the Bills he would've done deal 49ers gave up. Says all picks  would've been late rd picks. Thinks CMC is wrong for the Niners and perfect for the Bills. 

Probably why he’s a former GM.  I thought the 49ers way overpaid for a injury prone RB 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, tomur67 said:

Are there any glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed for the Bills to make the run for the Super Bowl? 

Standing still means moving  backward.

Gotta keep up with the competition.

I feel strongly that we are going to add OBJ, which we should do.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

Anyone who thinks the situations of those teams are very similar doesn't get it.

The Chiefs have $18M available under the cap right now, most of which will roll over onto the $11.98M they have available in 2023. And those figures include Toney. The Eagles have $10.1M available this year, which will roll over onto the $11.987M they have available for 2023. That's after picking up Quinn, not before.

Whereas the Bills have $1.6M under the cap right now, which will probably mostly roll over onto next year's figure of -$7.555, leaving us a total, post-maximum possible rollover, of about -$4.95M.

That's a big difference, as is the fact that the Bills don't have any areas of weakness as obvious as those teams did. It was a good move for both of those teams, but a lot of that is because they had bigger needs and more resources.

Quinn is older and while he appears solid he's not having an especially effective year, and Toney has been very injury-prone. Both of those moves could turn out to be good for those teams. Or not.

I don't care about the cap. It is malleable. It is the second of your points where I have a little more sympathy. I don't think the Bills "need" anything. Interior OL is the one spot where I think an upgrade to the starting lineup might be available at an affordable rate. But they are miles from desperate. They can afford to be circumspect.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Can’t imagine there are any teams willing to part with a quality guard. 

I don't think it takes a quality guard to upgrade at that spot. Ryan Bates is a solid backup / borderline starter who is starting. I think there are upgrade options out there. AJ Cann from Houston is the one I have thrown out but it is that tier of player at that day 3 pick type of price.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd still be looking at interior OL.

Agree for sure. And they might be doing just that, who knows....

But that's area I preferred if they were going to do anything. That was more important than when all the "they should get CMC" chatter in that thread to me

If it only costs a 4th or 5th, I wouldnt mind seeing the Bills pick up Hunt.  Can get OBJ down the road when he is ready if needed.  O line and slot is really the only spot we can improve much on and pretty much no one trades good linemen mid season.  I think the Bills are good other than that.  I dont expect really any trades unless its a good player for dirt cheap.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.