Who Has The Bills' Best D-Lineman So Far, Von Miller or Greg Rousseau?

jwhit34

Admittedly it seems a bit blasphemous to pose this question. Add up Von Miller's performance, mentoring, leadership and the attention he draws from the opposition and he is probably the slam dunk answer.

However, Greg Rousseau has played very well in the first four games: 4 sacks (Miller 3), 5 tackles for loss (Miller also 5), 15 total tackles (11 solo, 4 assists, Miller 7 solo 0 assist). My guess is Miller has more QB pressures. 

It's not just a stats question of course. So far, so good, Miller's playing very well and Rousseau has made a nice leap so far this year, partially thanks to Miller. 

So I'll say it's Miller, but Rousseau is pretty close.

Honorable mention to DaQuan Jones, he's been pretty darn good too. 

And I can't wait to see what happens when Ed Oliver is back in the lineup...

• Like (+1) 7

30 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

The Von Miller effect has certainly take Rousseau to a higher level.

Cant wait till Oliver and Phillips come back.

Von helps, but Rousseau was already heading there.  He is a better player than Von right now, but we will see as the season goes along. Miller is clearly here for the big games.  Rousseau is what you expect when you draft a DL in the 1st round. Growing pains in year 1 and in year 2 they take off.  Rousseau and Edmunds are living up to their 1st round hype.  Edmunds took a little while, but it is much harder to play his position that Rousseau's position.

Edited by Bills2022
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

When Phillips and Oliver are healthy it's a tremendous DL!

This defense will be disgusting if we can get those guys and Tre White back without suffering additional injury casualties.  It's already the best in the league, but they have a chance to be absolutely dominating when healthy.

• Like (+1) 7

It might actually be Da'Quan Jones. He has played a ton of snaps..70% last game while holding it down for Oliver and Phillips and has done a tremendous job of taking on blockers allowing Milano and Edmunds to roam free.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

I think the Texans "Have The Bills' Best D-Lineman So Far."  Jerry Hughes, he's currently 5th in the league in QB sacks.

When he changed uniforms the opponent was no longer free to hold him with impunity, I think. Statute of limitations, or something. Technical league and NFLPA stuff by nature. 

Von is right, Rousseau is going to be a STUD. An All-Pro stud. I loved his size, but it seems he’s got more bend than last year. Is that just my imagination? He seems more athletic. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

The von Miller effect is a real thing. 
Just like we say Allen was going to be elite regardless,  Diggs just helped the process speed up. 
Same thing for Rousseau and some of the other young guys. Von has just helped speed up their development. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

DaQuan. Hands down. 

I was talking to a co-worker who is a big Bills fan.  DaQuan is the type of 1TDT that Beane and McDermott have always wanted.  They thought they were getting him in Star who massively unperformed on a big deal.  Then they hoped Harrison Phillips could be that guy and while he played well at times I think they were looking for more consistent high end play 

Jones has been what the defense has been missing and I don’t think it’s a surprise that Edmunds, Milano, and even Taron have been flashing a bit more often against the run this season

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

If you focus on Groot during games, it's pretty amazing what he's doing. He is a total disruptor. I think Von has elevated his play & everyone else's - but Groot is a keeper for sure. I see him anchoring that line for years, and creating a similar dynamic that we had w/ Kelly & Bruce Smith. 

Not that everything is comparable to old Bills teams, but it's that kind of thing where he'll be a huge difference-maker on D, and Allen will lead a record-breaking O.

• Like (+1) 1

When all the injured players come back, there's gonna be some excellent talent on the bench or not even dressing.  Who plays, who sits, and who watches?

This is an NFL first-world problem, at least for the coaches and players.  For us, it's just happy days.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

Von helps, but Rousseau was already heading there.  He is a better player than Von right now, but we will see as the season goes along. Miller is clearly here for the big games.  Rousseau is what you expect when you draft a DL in the 1st round. Growing pains in year 1 and in year 2 they take off.  Rousseau and Edmunds are living up to their 1st round hype.  Edmunds took a little while, but it is much harder to play his position that Rousseau's position.

Rousseau is NOT better than Von. Child, please.

Not saying he won’t be, but he benefits more from Von than the other way around. Rousseau is well on his way to being a premier DE. Let’s see how he fares for a full season. Von was & is one of the greatest to ever do it and it will take more than a few good games from a 2nd year player to convince me that’s he is better.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

When he changed uniforms the opponent was no longer free to hold him with impunity, I think. Statute of limitations, or something. Technical league and NFLPA stuff by nature. 

Von is right, Rousseau is going to be a STUD. An All-Pro stud. I loved his size, but it seems he’s got more bend than last year. Is that just my imagination? He seems more athletic. 

He’s always looked the part, but now he definitely looks more fluid in his movement & technique. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Von Miller. Greg has been very good. But watch the blocking. Von is doubled up pretty much every play. This allows Greg to eat.

Agree. Greg has clearly taken a step forward but teams are keying in on Von and he is still making an impact. He does not look his age at all. 

DaQuan Jones has been an interior force. Wow! When we get Phillips and Oliver back (Boogie has been playing well, Settle and Lawson are solid, and Bryant has been doing a great job when he's on the field), not sure there is a better D-Line rotation in the NFL.

The DL looks really good this year.  However what are peoples thoughts on Epenesa?    It seems he always starts the season with hype  has a good game or two and then vanishes.  Last week he was at the low end of snap counts after being at the top at the beginning of the year.  Starting to lose hope this guy figures it out.  

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

It might actually be Da'Quan Jones. He has played a ton of snaps..70% last game while holding it down for Oliver and Phillips and has done a tremendous job of taking on blockers allowing Milano and Edmunds to roam free.

I don’t think you can compare inside and outside linemen.  On the inside Jones is our best.  Settle is a close second, as they are predominantly 1 technique guys clogging up running lanes.  It’s impossible to compare Phillips and Oliver as they are both banged up.  To the OP, Rousseau looks better because Bob is mentoring him and taking on the double teams.  It makes Basham, Rousseau, and even Epenesa better.

Chart as of 9/29/22 (So doesn't take into account last game. link to Twitter source below). Von is way up at the top of the chart w/ top pressure rate. Rousseau is right where the 2 lines intersect for league average on pressure rate & double team rate).

88384.thumb.jpeg.9281f42602dd57d877457c5ce4db4cc6.jpeg

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1575487909465305090?s=20&t=iYjGL_1nPPrs_1WoFXNESA

I agree with the others, I can’t wait to get Oliver and Phillips back. Both were playing at a high level before the injuries, and once they’re back, this defense will be so much fun to watch.

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

DaQuan. Hands down. 

This guy has been everything we were hoping we were going to get when we signed that other DT from the Panthers. 

You know, the guy who quit on his team over the course of a couple of seasons? Can't even remember his name... 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.