NFL opens up independent investigation into Browns tanking during 2016-17 seasons

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

What are they gonna do, strip them of all their titles?? 

Cleveland has four NFL titles to the Bills two AFL titles.  Not sure what point you are trying to make or why others think it is so funny.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not sure "NFL" and "independent investigation" belong in the same sentence

Unless maybe that sentence is "there should be a truly independent investigation, not connected to the NFL in any way"

Great point!  Still stunned NFL got away with destroying the Spygate tapes.  

• Dislike 3

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cleveland has four NFL titles to the Bills two AFL titles.  Not sure what point you are trying to make or why others think it is so funny.

The Browns haven’t won a title since 1964. For all intensive purposes, they haven’t won any titles to take away. 

That alone makes the joke funnier than watching several clowns emanating from a tiny vehicle. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Promise I'll read the linked piece about this, but the investigation in question HAS to stem from Hugh Jackson's accusations, right? I haven't seen anyone mention him. He's part of this suit, and he has made accusations that would reasonably lead to such an investigation. 

Yes

Maybe we get a compensatory pick out of this, being that we are one of the cool kids now…, 

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Are the Dolphins next or did they weirdly dodge this bullet?

It says right there that they are investigating Brian Flores claim in Miami.

I am no sure what to expect, but of course both stem from the lawsuit and my guess is similar to the Pats - there will be fines and draft picks lost over this.

The NFL will understand what was done - it will help lessen any blowback from the lawsuits and they can push it under the rug.

Protect your business investment first and foremost.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to NFL opens up independent investigation into Browns tanking during 2016-17 seasons

Hue Jackson said he told the NFL years ago so it is odd timing of this investigation being opened. Probably is Watson blow back.

And when I first heard Jackson’s claims I had zero faith he’s make sense of it until I heard his sides of the story and it actually make full sense.

Can’t find the interview online tho. It was in the last 24 hours.

Hue Jackson's claims Browns incentivized him to lose spark inquiry

Jackson first made the claims on Twitter. He wrote Haslam was "was happy while we kept losing," and while it may not have been $100,000 he was offered to lose, Jackson assured followers, "Trust me it was a good number."

Jackson, who is now the head coach at Grambling State University, told ESPN in February there was money to be made for hitting certain milestones, like attaining a certain number of draft picks and being the youngest team in the league.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/incentivized-tanking-allegations-nfl-inquiry-browns

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Great point!  Still stunned NFL got away with destroying the Spygate tapes.  

Sounds like a Maple Leaf fans, we won thirteen championships, the last of which was 1967. Yayyyyy! If you are still pointing to that scoreboard expecting to be taken seriously, that’s just sad. 

Cleveland won four championships in a 14 team league from 1950-1964. They haven’t won anything in the NFL in 58 years. The Bills haven’t won anything in the NFL in 52 years. Neither franchise’s fan base should be celebrating their teams unparalleled success in the NFL.

I am turning 50 this year, while the Bills AFL championships are nice, they mean very little to me. I feel like there needs to be a statute of limitations on championships. When do they become irrelevant? 50 years since the last championship? 100? Then again we still point to the scoreboard on the Brits every July 4th and we closed out that game in 1781. 

"in news today, NFL launches and independent investigation that will cost the league thousands of dollars and lead to absolutely nothing". The Stadium Wall launches its own impendent investigation as to why the NFL would even bother with something that happened 5 years ago that will lead to 0 punishments.

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

"in news today, NFL launches and independent investigation that will cause the league thousands of dollars and lead to absolutely nothing". The Stadium Wall launches its own impendent investigation as to why the NFL would even bother with something that happened 5 years ago that will lead to 0 punishments.

Yeah, doesn't make much sense to me. I can't see anything coming from this. I mean Browns have been one of the worst, if not the worst teams in the NFL for many years up until 2020. 

Wonder what it is about only 2016-2017 season that they want to look into. Browns have had lots of seasons with one of the worst records giving them a top 3-5 pick.

So curious what it is about this specific season that started this.

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah, doesn't make much sense to me. I can't see anything coming from this. I mean Browns have been one of the worst, if not the worst teams in the NFL for many years up until 2020. 

Wonder what it is about only 2016-2017 season that they want to look into. Browns have had lots of seasons with one of the worst records giving them a top 3-5 pick.

So curious what it is about this specific season that started this.

the worst they can do is take away draft picks and fine the team

8 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I thought the Indianapolis suck for Luck season was worse than anything I ever saw any other team do.  Indy had a decent roster but continued to play to the weakness of their reserve QB. Cleveland was just a terrible roster and terrible front office. 

Indy didn't intentionally tank the season-they brought in Kerry Collins to replace Manning but he only lasted 3 games before going on IR. What were they supposed to do at that point-mortgage the future for a journeyman backup like the year the Vikings gave up a #1 for Sam Bradford?  They got stuck with no QBs during the season & it cost the coach & GM their jobs.  If they were purposely tanking why would they have cleaned house of the team's management?  These guys got blamed for not winning & got fired.  

Collins was all finished before showing up in Indy. After he was hurt,they tried to continue running a wide open offense, throwing the ball all over the field.  Between turnovers and three and outs they were a mess. They repeatedly put a pretty good defense in bad situations throughout every game.  The fact that Irsay remained quiet throughout the mess was a pretty good indication that he was onboard.  He would normally be very outspoken when his team was playing poorly.  I was living in Indy at that time and saw it first hand.  Even the local news media talked and joked openly about sucking for Luck.

7 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Sounds like a Maple Leaf fans, we won thirteen championships, the last of which was 1967. Yayyyyy! If you are still pointing to that scoreboard expecting to be taken seriously, that’s just sad. 

Cleveland won four championships in a 14 team league from 1950-1964. They haven’t won anything in the NFL in 58 years. The Bills haven’t won anything in the NFL in 52 years. Neither franchise’s fan base should be celebrating their teams unparalleled success in the NFL.

I am turning 50 this year, while the Bills AFL championships are nice, they mean very little to me. I feel like there needs to be a statute of limitations on championships. When do they become irrelevant? 50 years since the last championship? 100? Then again we still point to the scoreboard on the Brits every July 4th and we closed out that game in 1781. 

Will that same statute of limitations apply to losing streaks to specific teams, coaches and players?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.