[Edited title] Chiefs starting LB Willie Gay arrested on DV charge, released from Jail Thursday

Paul Costa

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yep - pay for the crap you broke and lets all get on with our lives.  Also don't break more of her stuff.

No not quite.   No paying for the crap you broke or stole,  just walk. Don’t think there is any accountability.  I suppose if they can afford to pay they might be asked to?   

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I ask this genuinely though— for a guy like Hill, what do you think of him? Do you just sort of tolerate him? He’s not the sort of guy you want your 10-year old to go wear his jersey. 

My OJ Simpson comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek. I just can't stand when fanbases think that keeping players out of trouble is some sort of organizational skill when most owners/coaches are fixated on football and don't care much about life. Last I checked, "Tyrel Dodson's girlfriend accused him of hurting her, hitting her, breaking her door, and shoving her against the wall, and hitting her across the face, and stealing cash." He is still on the Bills, yes? Okay then. 

To your question, there is a note that Andy Reid keeps on his desk. Per John Harbaugh, it's always been there dating back to his time with the Eagles. It says simply "Don't judge." I don't know any of these players on any intimate level. None of us do. As stated, there are upwards of 50+ NFL player arrests per year. I can only imagine how many go unreported. These are young athletes who in many cases come from tough backgrounds, with no real support system in place, and a pile of life-changing cash sitting in their bank accounts. I cheer for Tyreek and I root for him to succeed. He started the Tyreek Hill Family Foundation, he has done youth football camps, and he's very involved in the KC community. A cynic could say, "He's doing all that for PR," and maybe that is true. But maybe he isn't?

I don't think people should be defined by their worst moment, particularly when those of us in the public have little knowledge of what actually happened behind closed doors. I say that for any player, including Tyreek, Dodson, Willie Gay, anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, beebe said:

I cheer for Tyreek and I root for him to succeed. He started the Tyreek Hill Family Foundation, he has done youth football camps, and he's very involved in the KC community.

And Jeffrey Epstein raised millions and millions of dollars for education through his philanthropic work.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, beebe said:

My OJ Simpson comment was obviously tongue-in-cheek. I just can't stand when fanbases think that keeping players out of trouble is some sort of organizational skill when most owners/coaches are fixated on football and don't care much about life. Last I checked, "Tyrel Dodson's girlfriend accused him of hurting her, hitting her, breaking her door, and shoving her against the wall, and hitting her across the face, and stealing cash." He is still on the Bills, yes? Okay then. 

To your question, there is a note that Andy Reid keeps on his desk. Per John Harbaugh, it's always been there dating back to his time with the Eagles. It says simply "Don't judge." I don't know any of these players on any intimate level. None of us do. As stated, there are upwards of 50+ NFL player arrests per year. I can only imagine how many go unreported. These are young athletes who in many cases come from tough backgrounds, with no real support system in place, and a pile of life-changing cash sitting in their bank accounts. I cheer for Tyreek and I root for him to succeed. He started the Tyreek Hill Family Foundation, he has done youth football camps, and he's very involved in the KC community. A cynic could say, "He's doing all that for PR," and maybe that is true. But maybe he isn't?

I don't think people should be defined by their worst moment, particularly when those of us in the public have little knowledge of what actually happened behind closed doors. I say that for any player, including Tyreek, Dodson, Willie Gay, anyone. 

I agree, a singular incident is just that, a one off… I see the issue here with the organization who seems to happen upon more of these singular incidents than all other teams. They don’t put a priority on character and that’s fine if you’re ok with the results on the field and off. I’m very glad McDermott demands high character, doesn’t mean there won’t be mistakes made but I prefer his approach to team building compared to Andy’s.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

No not quite.   No paying for the crap you broke or stole,  just walk. Don’t think there is any accountability.  I suppose if they can afford to pay they might be asked to?   

Well if they share a kid there's likely family court.  They might just push it over to that.  And in that situation I could see them making him pay for stuff.  

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

There’s a comedian who makes a joke about these situations by saying:

”These guys aren’t bad guys, they are just doing football at the wrong time!”

So this guy can say....Oh, I was supposed to be doing vacuuming, but I accidentally was doing football.

In all seriousness, I’m glad no one but the vacuum cleaner was hurt.

2 hours ago, beebe said:

It’s a tough spot to be in as a fan.  You are right that you don’t know everyone’s situation. But you want to root for your guys, and then you end up finding out that they are abusing women. Do you still cheer hard for him? Your kid wants to wear a Hill jersey.  Do you let him?  

i am trying to think back to a situation where I have been in your shoes, and honestly can’t. (Dodson doesn’t really count, because no one even knew that about him, and he never plays).  

I think you must have to just ignore it as best as you can, I suppose. It’s tough— because while athletes aren’t role models, we, as fans, do still cheer and support them. 

5 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

This was a rumor last evening. Facts are slowly leaking out. Some sort of domestic situation. Pretty tame by Chief standards. Not sure if they will have him out before the game. Stay tuned. 

Everyone knows fake nice guy Andy Reid loves a-//// holes,  so this will not be an issue for the the fat man

42 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It’s a tough spot to be in as a fan.  You are right that you don’t know everyone’s situation. But you want to root for your guys, and then you end up finding out that they are abusing women. Do you still cheer hard for him? Your kid wants to wear a Hill jersey.  Do you let him?  

i am trying to think back to a situation where I have been in your shoes, and honestly can’t. (Dodson doesn’t really count, because no one even knew that about him, and he never plays).  

I think you must have to just ignore it as best as you can, I suppose. It’s tough— because while athletes aren’t role models, we, as fans, do still cheer and support them. 

It's not tough at all. I watch the Chiefs and cheer for them to have success. Players and coaches. "Ignore it best I can?" No. You acknowledge that something happened, and that I don't know the full story, and probably never will, and suspend judgment. I have friends and family members who have done horrible things. I don't think it means they're irredeemable. I still cheer for them. Still support them. Still hope they grow as people. Still believe that they can. 

• Vomit 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Doesn’t the NFL takes action on domestic violence charges?  Maybe not til the facts come out?

Last time I checked a vacuum cleaner doesn't have the capability to press charges. You actually have to hit someone to be guilty of domestic violence. As in a person, not a vacuum cleaner.

Edited by Big Turk

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Last time I checked a vacuum cleaner doesn't have the capability to press charges. You actually have to hit someone to be guilty of domestic violence. As in a person, not a vacuum cleaner.

Idk, I’m just going by what I read. 

“Charging documents state Gay damaged a vacuum cleaner, wall and door frame during a confrontation with a woman. It’s being classified as a domestic violence offense.”

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/01/20/chiefs-lb-former-msu-star-charged-after-domestic-dispute/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.