Shout out to Matt Haack

Back2Buff

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, benderbender said:

Had to come back to this topic to remind me why we don't have Bojo. Don't think Bojo ever almost singlehandedly lost us a game.

Wasn’t his day, but our offense had a horrible first 3.5 quarters - relatively speaking 

46 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

He didn't have a great game but you don't just cut him.

We won and it's a team game.

He'll be better next week. 

You cut him if you can do better. Now. Guy is weak. Polian had proof that Norwood was limited in 89. They kept him and he didn't deliver in 90 or 91.  Playoffs are here - can't rely on hack for field position.

Shed him and have Trubisky hold. 

Edited by Momma Pecoraro

I will say this in the middle of the 3rd quarter, I went to Spotrac to see if the Jets punter would be a free agent at year end, 2 years remaining.  But then watched the Jets punter in Q4 and he didn't look that much better than Haack.  So maybe conditions were much worse than most realize.

Doubt they'd cut him as no way are you going to switch holders going into the playoffs.  Maybe they sign someone and keep Haack just for holding and let the other guy punt.  But that means petting someone at another position go.

I do think the Bills will draft a punter, the cap him for Haack is pretty small all things considered. Thought the kid from Clemson looked pretty good

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I will say this in the middle of the 3rd quarter, I went to Spotrac to see if the Jets punter would be a free agent at year end, 2 years remaining.  But then watched the Jets punter in Q4 and he didn't look that much better than Haack.  So maybe conditions were much worse than most realize.

Doubt they'd cut him as no way are you going to switch holders going into the playoffs.  Maybe they sign someone and keep Haack just for holding and let the other guy punt.  But that means petting someone at another position go.

I do think the Bills will draft a punter, the cap him for Haack is pretty small all things considered. Thought the kid from Clemson looked pretty good

Haack was trying to kick it a certain way to hit low line drives and just fudged it up lol 

10 hours ago, benderbender said:

Had to come back to this topic to remind me why we don't have Bojo. Don't think Bojo ever almost singlehandedly lost us a game.

How quickly they forget the block and the unilateral fake FG....  There's a reason I glossed him "Bodork".

Haack had a horrible first half, but he fixed his issues and had two great punts into the wind in the 3rd quarter.  Enough with the cut him now bull####, you can't change the holder going in to the playoffs.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Haack was trying to kick it a certain way to hit low line drives and just fudged it up lol 

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

How quickly they forget the block and the unilateral fake FG....  There's a reason I glossed him "Bodork".

Haack had a horrible first half, but he fixed his issues and had two great punts into the wind in the 3rd quarter.  Enough with the cut him now bull####, you can't change the holder going in to the playoffs.

I think part of the issue is when Haack normally kicks the ball - he gets a ton of back spin.  It was part of the reason he was so good placing the ball around the goal line in years past.  He gets the ball to bounce straight up or even draws it back, but that is not what you want kicking into the wind.

You saw him on the sidelines practicing drops.  I think on the first kick - you saw the ball move between his drop and the ball hitting his foot.  The second short kick was no different than when Mann kicked it into the wind for 28 yards.  The ball went up and died - the wind pushed it back and down.

The fumbled snap - the ball from Reid moved almost 3 feet to the left.  Typically Reid hits him chest high between the numbers.  That snap was not only outside of Haacks body - it was a full body to the left.  It looked like the snap and then the wind moved the ball left - making it difficult to react to.

Haack has not been good, but Mann kicking into the wind was no better with short kicks and a block.  It is most likely an off season issue, but I am not expecting anything at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think part of the issue is when Haack normally kicks the ball - he gets a ton of back spin.  It was part of the reason he was so good placing the ball around the goal line in years past.  He gets the ball to bounce straight up or even draws it back, but that is not what you want kicking into the wind.

You saw him on the sidelines practicing drops.  I think on the first kick - you saw the ball move between his drop and the ball hitting his foot.  The second short kick was no different than when Mann kicked it into the wind for 28 yards.  The ball went up and died - the wind pushed it back and down.

The fumbled snap - the ball from Reid moved almost 3 feet to the left.  Typically Reid hits him chest high between the numbers.  That snap was not only outside of Haacks body - it was a full body to the left.  It looked like the snap and then the wind moved the ball left - making it difficult to react to.

Haack has not been good, but Mann kicking into the wind was no better with short kicks and a block.  It is most likely an off season issue, but I am not expecting anything at this point.

Good point on the fumbled snap.  Bills fans scored it a passed ball, but I scored it a wild pitch.  Turd was way off-target with his fastball, but given the night Haack was having, it was easy to just blame him.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Good point on the fumbled snap.  Bills fans scored it a passed ball, but I scored it a wild pitch.  Turd was way off-target with his fastball, but given the night Haack was having, it was easy to just blame him.

I think in a normal weather game - that snap is within Haack’s frame and goes off normally.  

People forget but those snaps are basically 15 yard passes and just like sometimes JA passes get pushed by the wind - so too do the snaps.  That snap was essentially with the wind - so it gets pushed faster and arrives quicker than normal.  The ball also moved away giving less time to react.

It is still Haacks primary job to catch it and go, but the same can be said of Diggs, Davis, and Beasley - all of whom had balls and throws they misplayed.  The wind once again played a huge role in the entire game - Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think in a normal weather game - that snap is within Haack’s frame and goes off normally.  

People forget but those snaps are basically 15 yard passes and just like sometimes JA passes get pushed by the wind - so too do the snaps.  That snap was essentially with the wind - so it gets pushed faster and arrives quicker than normal.  The ball also moved away giving less time to react.

It is still Haacks primary job to catch it and go, but the same can be said of Diggs, Davis, and Beasley - all of whom had balls and throws they misplayed.  The wind once again played a huge role in the entire game - Offense, Defense, and Special Teams.

I seem to remember a lot of calls in the GDT to cut Gabe after all his drops...  :devil:

As I watched Mason Crosby for Green Bay miss another short field goal yesterday with Badork as his holder I looked up his stats. Crosby was a 82.6% kicker in 14 years previous, 73.1% this year with guess who as his holder. Could be something to this holder debate.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You or your kid must be a catcher.   And for the record, I agree. 

• Like (+1) 1

UGH…aren’t we all beyond done with Matt “I’m A Total” Haack??

As a child of The Drought Era, I grew up on Brian “Um I’m Actually Agnostic And Not A Practicing” Moorman. So I suppose that I have come to expect a high degree of excellence from any Buffalo Bills punter.

Oh hey! Guess what?? We happen to have a RIDICULOUSLY sexy punter languishing on the practice squad right now! But Brandon Beane didn’t sign Jamie “The Scottish Hammer” Gillan so that Coach McDermott can ogle his v-shaped torso and striated triceps from afar. This gorgeous hunk of a soldier was brought to Snow Sparta for one reason and one reason only: so that his powerful leg can cut through the high Highmark Stadium winds, plow through any Lake Erie lake effect snowfall, and deliver the dubs.

What say you, McBeane? Are you ready to make the bold gameday decisions needed to protect the Queen City from the invading horde of Cheatriots? Are you ready to silence the Masshole fanbase? I.e., are you ready to sit Matt and activate Jamie from the practice squad?

Because I guarantee you that Snow Sparta is ready. Orchard Park will be rocking. The alcohol in the parking lots will be flowing. The folding tables will be plenty pliant. All we need now are 48 players ready for the battle of their lives, one of whom needs to be a perfectly (and bizarrely) sculpted physical specimen of a punter. Mafia, mount up!!!

Bills Mafia: “Our  d i l d o  projectiles will blot out the sun.”

Roger Goodell: “Then you shall play at the Saturday night time slot.”

McBeane: “Fine. Then we are elevating Jamie Gillan to the active roster.”

Bill Bellicheat: “Oh…snap.”

EDIT: Why can't I type  d i l d o? Stop censoring me!!!

Edited by ComradeKayAdams

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Haack has been terrible all year.

This is not a one game problem.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BillsDiehard said:

The Bills obviously acknowledge we have a punter issue as we're carrying one for 3 weeks on our practice squad. I don't think any other team is carrying a second punter...very odd.

I initially thought it was a covid thing.  I don't know if he can kick FGs well but there was probably the thought that he can kick FGs more effectively than Haack if Bass were to miss a game for covid.  He was a rugby player so he can probably do it decently in a pinch.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.