Shout out to Matt Haack

Back2Buff

2 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Aside from his shanking punts occasionally, apparently he has great hang time on them and very few yards after the catch. His usefulness is significantly greater than his predecessor.

Haack is:

27th in average punt

T-27th in punts landing inside the 20

28th in net punting average 

31st in fair catches 

He is terrible in every punting statistic that I can find.

As for last year…

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Wonder why they never tried the backup QB as a holder with Bojo. Id rather still have Bojo if he didn't have to be the placeholder too.

We keep a lot of guys for ST who are waaay down in the depth chart. Does Taiwan Jones block for field goals? He is like RB7, if he’s not blocking that feels like a very teachable skill. 

Yes, he doesn't kick far and he does shank them more than we like. I do like that he is a good at taking the snap and getting the ball right for a scoring opportunity. Also like that hang time. No one is breaking off a big return because of it. Also, he is not punting very much to get those punts dropped behind the 20.  I hate those shanks. It seems to me he is trying to drop punts close to the out of bounds line on purpose and missing by that much? I agree, he doesn't have a strong leg. I'm just not sure it's as bad as all that.

Edited by Rockinon

17 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Yes, he doesn't kick far and he does shank them more than we like. I do like that he is a good at taking the snap and getting the ball right for a scoring opportunity. Also like that hang time. No one is breaking off a big return because of it. Also, he is not punting very much to get those punts dropped behind the 20.  I hate those shanks. It seems to me he is trying to drop punts close to the out of bounds line on purpose and missing by that much? I agree, he doesn't have a strong leg. I'm just not sure it's as bad as all that.

I can’t seem to find hang time stats anywhere. Where are you finding them?

As for the excuse that him not punting a lot is why he isn’t getting many punts inside the 20 - Consider this: He is T-25th for the % of punts inside the 20. So even accounting for him punting less, he’s still bad.

Edited by Einstein

36 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Haack is:

27th in average punt

31st in fair catches 

As for last year…

Bojo has 8 more punts than Haack.

Crosby has had 4 misses this season and even ripped Bojo on his hold in one game (cant remember which but I think he missed 3 kicks that game).

Meanwhile Bass has been perfect for FGs with Haack holding the kick.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Bojo has 8 more punts than Haack.

Crosby has had 4 misses this season and even ripped Bojo on his hold in one game (cant remember which but I think he missed 3 kicks that game).

Meanwhile Bass has been perfect for FGs with Haack holding the kick.

Why would the amount of punts matter? Even when looking at %, Bojo is significantly better than Haack.

As for the holds, a film review showed that it was the snappers fault. Not Bojo’s.

1 hour ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It makes more sense to me to try someone like Taiwan jones instead. A better athlete and he can probably get enough reps in to handle it. Plus gives you a lot of fake punt options. 

And when the gunner gets hurt on a violent tackle he has to make, who holds for the fg? Or does not trying fg's from time to time become normal? 

3 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Wonder why they never tried the backup QB as a holder with Bojo. Id rather still have Bojo if he didn't have to be the placeholder too.

I've read that teams have moved away from backup QB's as holders because the punter , being on special teams, can practice more with special teams than a QB can ,who needs to spend his time with the offense.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Haack is:

27th in average punt

31st in fair catches 

As for last year…

Re those stats, we also now know why their “hang time” is comparable. Haack takes like 3 extra steps before he punts!! 

22 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I've read that teams have moved away from backup QB's as holders because the punter , being on special teams, can practice more with special teams than a QB can ,who needs to spend his time with the offense.

I read that too. But then why not have a WR, like a Kumerow hold? He pretty much only plays special teams and as a receiver, he probably has better hands than the punter to catch and spin the ball. 

40 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Why would the amount of punts matter? Even when looking at %, Bojo is significantly better than Haack.

As for the holds, a film review showed that it was the snappers fault. Not Bojo’s.

Looking at what %?  Sorry.  Not sure what you mean by that.  Yes, Bojo is a longer punter for sure but feel like he tends to "outkick" the coverage.

The film review showed that the snapper was at fault?  You have a link for this?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It makes more sense to me to try someone like Taiwan jones instead. A better athlete and he can probably get enough reps in to handle it. Plus gives you a lot of fake punt options. 

I just bring up the backup QB, because that was standard practice before teams largely started using the punters.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Looking at what %?  Sorry.  Not sure what you mean by that.  Yes, Bojo is a longer punter for sure but feel like he tends to "outkick" the coverage.

The film review showed that the snapper was at fault?  You have a link for this?

The snaps were poor on field goals that game. On the first miss, Bojo had to pull it down and spin. On the third miss, wobbled out and Bojo had to get it down just in time.

It wasn’t Bojo’s fault. People just rushed to judgment.

55-C21399-3-EFF-4-CB1-B236-1225-F3-E937-

91-CF5-B0-F-E88-A-488-D-B4-A3-6-D128863-

Edited by Einstein

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Re those stats, we also now know why their “hang time” is comparable. Haack takes like 3 extra steps before he punts!! 

I read that too. But then why not have a WR, like a Kumerow hold? He pretty much only plays special teams and as a receiver, he probably has better hands than the punter to catch and spin the ball. 

like Bobby Chandler?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.