Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

Looking at the Stats through week 4, Chiefs average 427.5 yards/game of offense.  Bills give up points at the rate of 1 point for every 19.7 yards gained, that says Chiefs should score 21-22 points.  Bills average 404 yards/game of offense.  Chiefs give up points at the rate of 1 point for every 14.0 yards gained, Bills should score 28-29 points.  28-21 Bills has a sweet sound to it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

They should be confident especially since we lost to the only legit NFL QB we've played so far this year and that team hasn't won a game since or even been competitive in the 2nd half of games so far.

Obviously the Pittsburgh game looks like a true week one anomaly but the Chiefs are a few plays away from being 4-0 despite having an atrocious defense so far.

They are going to come out aggressive on both sides of the ball and look to bury the Bills early especially since Andy Reid is inside McDermott's head and the Chiefs defense inside Allen's until something changes.

The Chiefs are also a few plays away from being 1-3.  The Bills are a blocked punt from being 4-0.  The Chiefs played a harder schedule so far but I just don't take any stock in this stuff.  A lot of games are close, so you can say "a few plays..." for most teams/games.  The Chiefs particularly play a lot of close games. They are just good enough to win most of them.  That doesn't always happen though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

5 minutes perusing the idiocy on chiefs planet and I am reminded why I can't stand chiefs fans.  They somehow managed to become more smug and arrogant than pats fans.  They act like you just called their mother a ***** anytime someone doesn't heap praise on every aspect of the team.  In case you were wondering, they shouldn't have lost half their games this year, it was just because of turnovers (which never happen in football games).  They are laughing at the fact that Buffalo hasn't played any tough teams yet, meanwhile they are in last place in their division with a .500 record.  There is NEVER anything positive about the opponent or negative about the chiefs.  F@(% the chiefs, their fans, and their Darlene Connor lookalike QB.

That forum is unreadable and void of anything approaching real football discussion.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Wonder what the opposing team fans would think of Bills fans if they read this board. I suspect they would be saying the same things about Bills fans. Let's not be naive here. 

Please, at least a quarter of the posters here piss and moan about players all week after the Bills won 35-0.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I don’t want to put the blame on any one player for our loss to KC in the playoffs but the entire game went to crap after Devin Singletary dropped that wide open pass on third down forcing us to punt. People don’t forget, Devin. Hoping he can redeem himself this weekend. 

I honestly don't even remember this play. 

I knew that game was over after the first quarter, after watching how much the Bills struggled to impact Mahomes' pocket, and how much mugging was being allowed on the Bills banged up WRs. 

The only way the Bills were going to win that was by a shootout, and with the Bills running their smurfs there was no way that was going to happen with the refs allowing such physical DB  play

I'd be pretty pessimistic about this game we're it not for a few things that turned up this year.

1. We've got a productive TE.

2. We've got a productive running game.

3. We've got a much improved Run Defence

That said, Josh isn't playing like his hair is in fire (yet...), Spags is the Grim ***** Reaper of teams that play with E-P offences, and their O is their O and will get their points.  

But ***** am I sick of getting Big Brothered by the Chiefs.  Arizona won their first game in 9 tries against LA though, so Im open to being superstitious.

• Like (+1) 1

Gonna be a tough one. It just feels like KC has had their number the last couple seasons. I know their defense isn’t playing too not right now but they weren’t playing so great last season either and the Bills just couldn’t take advantage. 

If Jalen Hurts can have the type of success he did against KC then I see no reason why Allen can’t. Guess it all depends on the game plan and the play calls and execution. I’ve felt like Daboll has kind of gotten a bit too cute at times. And I know they prefer to run a “multiple” system that can adapt to whatever defense they face but surely they have some core bread and butter plays to lean on. I guess what I’m saying is, don’t get too cute, Dabes. Identify what your players do well against the type of defense KC runs and put them in positions to succeed. 

I think Emmanuel Sanders could be an x-factor in this one and have another big day like he did against WFT. I think Moss and Singletary both could have good games as well. Hope the OL continues to improve, big test this week. And hopefully Milano is ready to go, they’re just a different defense when he’s playing. 

Defensively this is pretty simple for the Bills. Impact Mahomes' pocket or give up points. Kelce and Hill are too much when you combine Mahomes' arm and given time. But if they can force him into faster throws I like the backers and Bills secondary here. 

Offensively, if Allen plays well, this is a big mismatch. Why? Because of Emmaneul Sanders and Dawson Knox, to complement Diggs and Beasley. Even if the Chiefs go to their mugging defense, that won't work as well with Sanders and Knox, if only because Sanders is far better than a John Brown who was maybe 65% healthy - his route running has been elite, and he still has that burst he uses at any point on his route. Getting handsy with him isn't going to work well - he's too good, too savvy. Last Jan, the Chiefs were able to bracket Diggs, and mug the other Wrs - basically suffocating them with 7-8 man zone/man combos. 

My assumption is they'll do the same again, but this time I expect a quality Sanders and effective Dawson Knox to punish that scheme. 

Not sure who's going to win this game, but I do think the Bills are the more talented team

I think one thing that might help is that the Bills have had the last three games in hand by half time.  I hope Daboll has intentionally kept some looks and wrinkles close to the vest for the Chiefs' game.  The Bills' offense has been pretty vanilla.  Not a lot of pre-snap motion or misdirection.  Very few JA17 runs.  Hopefully the offense can put some plays on the field that will catch their defense off guard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think one thing that might help is that the Bills have had the last three games in hand by half time.  I hope Daboll has intentionally kept some looks and wrinkles close to the vest for the Chiefs' game.  The Bills' offense has been pretty vanilla.  Not a lot of pre-snap motion or misdirection.  Very few JA17 runs.  Hopefully the offense can put some plays on the field that will catch their defense off guard.

Can't sleep on KC.  I've seen them come back in many games, some with some pretty significant deficits.  They can score a lot of points quickly.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We just can't get too cute. Just play our game, stay focused and the rest will come.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Looking at the Stats through week 4, Chiefs average 427.5 yards/game of offense.  Bills give up points at the rate of 1 point for every 19.7 yards gained, that says Chiefs should score 21-22 points.  Bills average 404 yards/game of offense.  Chiefs give up points at the rate of 1 point for every 14.0 yards gained, Bills should score 28-29 points.  28-21 Bills has a sweet sound to it.

Good post!  Never knew about those metrics.  Not changing my anxiety about the game but interesting nonetheless. 

3 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I don’t want to put the blame on any one player for our loss to KC in the playoffs but the entire game went to crap after Devin Singletary dropped that wide open pass on third down forcing us to punt. People don’t forget, Devin. Hoping he can redeem himself this weekend. 

Bingo!  The Chiefs had just cut the lead to 9 - 7 and we were driving up around midfield when Motor dropped what would have been at a minimum a 20 - 25 yard gain (he may even have taken it to the house it was a perfectly set up play).  That was a huge play.  And the Bills coaches were so pissed at him that h was benched and we didn't see him again until late in the 2nd half.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea id say we're being quite complimentary of the chiefs haha I think theyre borderline unstoppable up until the redzone where being able to stretch the field vertically isn't as important and that's where we'll have to make some stops...which is why you see teams defending them the way we tried in the afccg. Letting tyreek Hill beat you deep is just gift wrapping them points 

We stopped the deep stuff last year and can likely do it again.

The problem is the 'bend but don't break defense' and we broke every time in the AFC Championship game when the Chiefs got into the redzone and I'm just not sure what McD/Frasier are going to do differently especially if the pass rush isn't working with just the front four.  Even if Milano plays we have no way to stopping Kelce and the Chiefs know that but this is the same problem every team faces against them.

This is why the only chance of winning this game is following the same formula the Ravens and Chargers did....get some turnovers against Mahomes and look to score every possession including pretty much going for it on 4th down when on the Chiefs side of the field. It honestly boiled down to getting lucky in the Chiefs two losses.

I just want it to be close & competitive game dammit!

Andy Reid just has his way with us, Allen always starts slow & then gets in his own head trying to make plays, every bounce goes the wrong way, and flags seem to screw us in the worst possible moments.

I know people say there's no such things as moral victories, but I call BS. If our offense goes out there & plays like we're capable of, and we lose a close back & forth on the road, I'll still be upset, but at least I'll have hope that EVENTUALLY we can beat the Chiefs.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

The Chiefs are also a few plays away from being 1-3.  The Bills are a blocked punt from being 4-0.  The Chiefs played a harder schedule so far but I just don't take any stock in this stuff.  A lot of games are close, so you can say "a few plays..." for most teams/games.  The Chiefs particularly play a lot of close games. They are just good enough to win most of them.  That doesn't always happen though.

That's just it with the Chiefs and Mahomes, outside of the SB loss to the Bucs they are always in games until the final minutes even when they lose like the Chargers and Ravens games so far this year. The closest thing to a blowout Mahomes has suffered in the regular season was the Raiders game last year when I believe they lost by 10 points at home early in the season, they then when on to essentially win out except for week 17 when all the starters sat.

It speaks volumes of how good Mahomes is that you truly need luck to beat him which is why the margin of error for the Bills on Sunday is razor thin despite all the metrics that indicate they very well be the best team in the NFL at present.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That’s good.  I don’t think KC has had to deal with it yet.   Also, it is very warm there.  It will make it a little cooler. 

I don't like it. Allen tries too much soft stuff in the rain imo and doesn't let it rip. Maybe it's recency bias. 

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Andy Reid just has his way with us, Allen always starts slow & then gets in his own head trying to make plays, every bounce goes the wrong way, and flags seem to screw us in the worst possible moments.

I know people say there are no such things as moral victories, but I call BS. If our offense goes out there & plays like we're capable of, and we lose a close back & forth on the road, I'll be still be upset, but at least I'll have hope that EVENTUALLY we can beat the Chiefs.

I agree with you.

They got slapped both games last year. (I know it was a close first game but the chiefs dominated)

A win would be awesome of course, but they need to show they can at least play with the chiefs as they didn't show that last year.

3 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I don’t blame anyone for the loss of my legs - some Chinaman took them from me in Korea!

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

I love math😀

32 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I know people say there's no such things as moral victories, but I call BS. If our offense goes out there & plays like we're capable of, and we lose a close back & forth on the road, I'll still be upset, but at least I'll have hope that EVENTUALLY we can beat the Chiefs.

Andy Reid has had his way with us since Mahomes got to KC 

McDermott beat Reid in 2017 at Arrowhead. 

Granted it was Tyrod Taylor against Alex Smith… but that Chiefs team was much more talented than us. Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

So basically a pickem game since home teams usually get 3…we know the Chiefs are going to dare the Bills to run and for Joshs 30th rated oline to give him happy feet in the pocket….we also know the book is out on Patty Mahomes he’s a whole different qb when his line doesn’t hold up 

I do agree with KC daring Buffalo to run the ball. We can’t come into this game one dimensional like last year. We have to mix in the run I for one would love for this offense line to be angry from last year and pound the ball on them. 

29 minutes ago, 97bills said:

I do agree with KC daring Buffalo to run the ball. We can’t come into this game one dimensional like last year. We have to mix in the run I for one would love for this offense line to be angry from last year and pound the ball on them. 

KC daring anyone to run the ball at this point would be a bad idea 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

Get the feeling this matchup is turning into the Pats vs Colts during 2000’s. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.