Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

On 10/4/2021 at 7:31 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am more worried about our offense. It is clear that Daboll Got totally outcoached in the AFCCG. He is going to need to put together a scheme that really neutralizes the chiefs D-line and puts josh in a position to succeed.  We can’t be having these 30-yard sacks either. 

Everyone got outcoached in that game. Possibly the worst coaching performance of the McD era.  We’ve put up a handful of real stinkers too.  

• Agree 1

I don’t want to put the blame on any one player for our loss to KC in the playoffs but the entire game went to crap after Devin Singletary dropped that wide open pass on third down forcing us to punt. People don’t forget, Devin. Hoping he can redeem himself this weekend. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I cannot stand cheifs fans. They are almost, or as bad as Patriots fans with Brady. I've been reading alot of stuff on Twitter this week and they act like the cheifs are playing the jets or Texans this week. I never had an issue with them until after the afc championship game last year. They are so arrogant and ridiculous. I hope the bills just absolutely annihilate them Sunday night 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I don’t want to put the blame on any one player for our loss to KC in the playoffs but the entire game went to crap after Devin Singletary dropped that wide open pass on third down forcing us to punt. People don’t forget, Devin. Hoping he can redeem himself this weekend. 

That drop was on a 2nd and 7.  Not 3rd down.   The Diggs drop a few plays before that did us no favors either.  Josh was not the same after that series. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

That "prevent" game plan kept the Chiefs to 26 points last year (in the regular season), in a game where our offense produced almost nothing. In the AFCCG we moved away from that strategy and paid the price. If we are forcing the Chiefs to run the ball we are winning the game on defense. That defense plus the elite offense that this team is capable of is a win going away. People whined about the Chiefs rushing yardage in that game. Who really cares? Points win games.

We didn't win that first game so sacrificing run defense was not a winning strategy either.

We simply lost by less - so perhaps it was less embarrassing, but the net result was the same.

Giving up all those rushing yards also meant the clock kept ticking while our offense cooled its heels on the sideline staring at a losing score on the board and KCs defense was well-rested to pin their ears back and rush Allen.

We need to stop their rush mainly with our front 4 and also bring pressure with those same packages without having to pull guys out of coverage.

We need to be able to run on their defense to keep them from dropping 7 into coverage, to keep the chains moving, our defense fresh, the pressure off of Allen, and keep the ball out of Mahomes hands.

KC forces our team to play solid complimentary football. We do that and we have the best shot of winning. 

This could be one of the closer games we have had with KC so Special Teams and turnovers could decide it.

So Josh Gordan is going to play, to what capacity remains to be seen.

I don't care how good he's looked in practice with the Chiefs though, he hasn't played football in almost 2 years and there's no excuse to let him magically go off. If anything Mahomes throwing his way could lead to an INT because of not being on the same page.

• Agree 1

Was just trolling on chiefs board and man they are confident.  They say we haven't played anyone and that spags owns Allen.  Both could be true but here was my comment. 

1.   Bills D is better.  Regardless who we have played its hard to shut out anyone in NfL let alone 2 teams.  Bills D > Chiefs

2.  Bills were one dimensional last year.  We are not this year.  Spags had to rattle and confuse Josh and that was it.  We could not run the ball.  This is a big change from last year. 

3.   Sanders > injured brown

Bease isn't playing hurt

And knox can actually catch this year.  

All of these make us harder to gameplan against. 

She will be a battle but if we can win turnover battle we will win game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Was just trolling on chiefs board and man they are confident.  They say we haven't played anyone and that spags owns Allen.  Both could be true but here was my comment. 

1.   Bills D is better.  Regardless who we have played its hard to shut out anyone in NfL let alone 2 teams.  Bills D > Chiefs

2.  Bills were one dimensional last year.  We are not this year.  Spags had to rattle and confuse Josh and that was it.  We could not run the ball.  This is a big change from last year. 

3.   Sanders > injured brown

Bease isn't playing hurt

And knox can actually catch this year.  

All of these make us harder to gameplan against. 

She will be a battle but if we can win turnover battle we will win game. 

They should be confident especially since we lost to the only legit NFL QB we've played so far this year and that team hasn't won a game since or even been competitive in the 2nd half of games so far.

Obviously the Pittsburgh game looks like a true week one anomaly but the Chiefs are a few plays away from being 4-0 despite having an atrocious defense so far.

They are going to come out aggressive on both sides of the ball and look to bury the Bills early especially since Andy Reid is inside McDermott's head and the Chiefs defense inside Allen's until something changes.

15 minutes ago, WideNine said:

We didn't win that first game so sacrificing run defense was not a winning strategy either.

Our offense should be able to put up 30+ points on the Chiefs. In fact that should be the expectation. If we hold them below 30 there is no reason this offense shouldn't win that game. So I consider what the defense did in the regular season last year to be a success. The only alternative is hope they turn the ball over 4 times like they did against the Chiefs but I'm certainly not banking on that.

We have put up 30+ points in 3 out of 4 games this year against defenses that are statistically better than the Chiefs. If we can't put up 30+ on them it is because of a serious mental block with Allen or Daboll or McDermott. I just want to see us overcome that mental block. Then I will know we can beat them in January.

Edited by HappyDays

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

So Josh Gordan is going to play, to what capacity remains to be seen.

I don't care how good he's looked in practice with the Chiefs though, he hasn't played football in almost 2 years and there's no excuse to let him magically go off. If anything Mahomes throwing his way could lead to an INT because of not being on the same page.

I would rather he throws to him than the other two. Let him play. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They should be confident especially since we lost to the only legit NFL QB we've played so far this year and that team hasn't won a game since or even been competitive in the 2nd half of games so far.

Obviously the Pittsburgh game looks like a true week one anomaly but the Chiefs are a few plays away from being 4-0 despite having an atrocious defense so far.

They are going to come out aggressive on both sides of the ball and look to bury the Bills early especially since Andy Reid is inside McDermott's head and the Chiefs defense inside Allen's until something changes.

I look back to the game against the Browns and see Baker was not great.  Good but not great in the game.  And they won against Jalen Hurts (who also had a good game).

The two losses were against QBs that are playing great.  I think their defense is really their Achilles heel at this point.  We just need the offense to exploit it on every possession.  I expect a close game but they need to be playing for TDs and not FGs.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Our offense should be able to put up 30+ points on the Chiefs. In fact that should be the expectation. If we hold them below 30 there is no reason this offense shouldn't win that game. So I consider what the defense did in the regular season last year to be a success. The only alternative is hope they turn the ball over 4 times like they did against the Chiefs but I'm certainly not banking on that.

I think we have more balance this year on both sides of the ball.

If we can be physical and run it and Allen hits the quicker routes and outlets underneath we will be more successful getting into an early rhythm and our reshuffled OL will have a better shot at protecting him. Longer possessions and good field position will also spell our front 4 DL rotation so they can ball out when they are out there and make Mahomes more uncomfortable than last time.

That right side of the OL will be interesting to see who gets the starting nod. I am not as concerned with the magic 30, just want us to be up by 2 scores late in the 4th and in control with Allen taking the play clock down to 5 seconds each snap. Would love it if our defense was finally able to put a lid on their offense. 

Sure, I love the deep shots when Allen is able to hit them. Those often come when teams get more desperate and send more guys to try to get to your QB leaving WRs in man coverage or just single-high looks. Hope that is the situation we find our offense in later in this game.

I hate predictions, but feel like this will be a close game where ball security and field position will be more important - we have been a bit fortunate in our bounces when we have lost the handle on the football this year.

Not to steal the swagger from our "D", but they have to prove their metal against the best to be considered the best. Beating up on offenses with few weapons and rookie QBs is just what they are supposed to do - I am looking forward to seeing if they RISE to this challenge.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I cannot stand cheifs fans. They are almost, or as bad as Patriots fans with Brady. I've been reading alot of stuff on Twitter this week and they act like the cheifs are playing the jets or Texans this week. I never had an issue with them until after the afc championship game last year. They are so arrogant and ridiculous. I hope the bills just absolutely annihilate them Sunday night 

Ever hear their local radio guy? His voice is arrogance in an especially hyperbolic mode. I'd be embarrassed for my team to be represented by someone with that level of hubris. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Ever hear their local radio guy? His voice is arrogance in an especially hyperbolic mode. I'd be embarrassed for my team to be represented by someone with that level of hubris. 

I'd prefer that over schopp and bulldog pissing all over everything then doing a condiments draft. 

Edited by The Wiz

4 hours ago, TH3 said:

Closed the gap? 

Hardly!

Josh has regressed to 2019 levels and has had one good game this year, Beane should have never signed the 5th year option on Edmunds - and...and....did NOTHING on the O line in the off season. We haven't beat anyone...Knox has the dropsies, all MeDermott does is clap and Daboll has checked out on his way with Trubiski to Houston...

And Beth Mowins is probably calling the game!!

We have NO CHANCE.....Why even go? 

I'm not willing to go that far but you do make fair points. Josh has been mostly average which is still better rhan most QBs. He's better than 2019 based on experience alone. He doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much. His maturity is pretty clear. With that, he dies need to play better. Especially, this Sunday against a weak KC defense.

Edmunds is average and I can see why you don't agree with the signing. 

The Oline is a concern for obvious reasons. 

Strongly disagree with your Knox take. He has played really well. He looks to be a solid piece on the offense.

Love coach McD. He is a great leader and has the respect of the players. They play hard for him and he has the team ready to play. I believe the Pitt game was a one off. Also, I think the coaching staff makes great halftime adjustments. Daboll is very good. It's easy to point the finger at the offensive coordinator. He will always be scape goat's. Imho, the Bills are fortunate to have him. 

Lastly, the Bills do have a chance. I'm expecting a loss but a win isn't out of the question. KC defense is very beatable. A great game plan and execution is needed. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes perusing the idiocy on chiefs planet and I am reminded why I can't stand chiefs fans.  They somehow managed to become more smug and arrogant than pats fans.  They act like you just called their mother a ***** anytime someone doesn't heap praise on every aspect of the team.  In case you were wondering, they shouldn't have lost half their games this year, it was just because of turnovers (which never happen in football games).  They are laughing at the fact that Buffalo hasn't played any tough teams yet, meanwhile they are in last place in their division with a .500 record.  There is NEVER anything positive about the opponent or negative about the chiefs.  F@(% the chiefs, their fans, and their Darlene Connor lookalike QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Mahomes played one game in his career in a josh allen like situation where a 4 man rush was crushing his offensive line and he did not look confident nor calm lol 

Well...

I did say he was night and day different with pressure in his face lol.  I think it was game before last they showed his stats while being pressured and he was horrible.   

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm not willing to go that far but you do make fair points. Josh has been mostly average which is still better rhan most QBs. He's better than 2019 based on experience alone. He doesn't turn the ball over nearly as much. His maturity is pretty clear. With that, he dies need to play better. Especially, this Sunday against a weak KC defense.

Edmunds is average and I can see why you don't agree with the signing. 

The Oline is a concern for obvious reasons. 

Strongly disagree with your Knox take. He has played really well. He looks to be a solid piece on the offense.

Love coach McD. He is a great leader and has the respect of the players. They play hard for him and he has the team ready to play. I believe the Pitt game was a one off. Also, I think the coaching staff makes great halftime adjustments. Daboll is very good. It's easy to point the finger at the offensive coordinator. He will always be scape goat's. Imho, the Bills are fortunate to have him. 

Lastly, the Bills do have a chance. I'm expecting a loss but a win isn't out of the question. KC defense is very beatable. A great game plan and execution is needed. 

....I mean, someone was bound to fall for it.  Why not you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

5 minutes perusing the idiocy on chiefs planet and I am reminded why I can't stand chiefs fans.  They somehow managed to become more smug and arrogant than pats fans.  They act like you just called their mother a ***** anytime someone doesn't heap praise on every aspect of the team.  In case you were wondering, they shouldn't have lost half their games this year, it was just because of turnovers (which never happen in football games).  They are laughing at the fact that Buffalo hasn't played any tough teams yet, meanwhile they are in last place in their division with a .500 record.  There is NEVER anything positive about the opponent or negative about the chiefs.  F@(% the chiefs, their fans, and their Darlene Connor lookalike QB.

Wonder what the opposing team fans would think of Bills fans if they read this board. I suspect they would be saying the same things about Bills fans. Let's not be naive here. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Well...

I did say he was night and day different with pressure in his face lol.  I think it was game before last they showed his stats while being pressured and he was horrible.   

Oh yea I just mean comparing qbs on completely different teams is tough...like if you plopped mahomes onto the bills roster who knows what you'd get. It's scary to think of what josh could do if we had someone like Travis kelce 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Oh yea I just mean comparing qbs on completely different teams is tough...like if you plopped mahomes onto the bills roster who knows what you'd get. It's scary to think of what josh could do if we had someone like Travis kelce 

Coaching too.

Allen was a raw product, a diamond in the rough compared to some like Mahomes and Herbert - so how fast a rookie QB hits the ground running may not be quite a fair comparison with Allen coming out of Wyoming after only getting a JUCO offer and those groomed in HS and college programs like Texas Tech and Oregon.

Most NFL scouts worth their salt knew that it was going to take time and an organizational investment to see Allen reach his potential - I think we have scratched the surface and he still has room to grow applying the right touch and mechanics on each throw, recognizing defenses and willing to be patient and take what they are giving up underneath.

He puts in the work and has proven that he can defy the experts and can overcome bad habits and develop good muscle memory to be amazing.

You have to like what he was able to do in the WNY elements, and I never expected a kid that big to be able to move like he does or be able to beat LBs to the sticks or pylon...

The NFL has some very good young QB talents and we have one of them.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Wonder what the opposing team fans would think of Bills fans if they read this board. I suspect they would be saying the same things about Bills fans. Let's not be naive here. 

I actually see lots of fans on this board talking about the strengths of the chiefs and how difficult this game will be. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

That’s the problem and opposing teams know it. Josh likes to push the ball downfield. Even he said sometimes he has to go bottom to top instead of top to bottom.

I do think a lot of this had to do with having 0 trust in his defense...kc did absolutely whatever they wanted both games whether it was rushing or passing.  To be fair to Josh he won the Colts game single handedly playing that way lol so it's not always all bad.  I have a feeling he's gonna have more faith in the defense this year and we can play a little more field position provided we get some red zone stops.  Not to mention our receivers are much healthier this year compared to the playoff game ...beasley had a broken leg diggs had a torn oblique and Davis had an ankle injury I think 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I actually see lots of fans on this board talking about the strengths of the chiefs and how difficult this game will be. 

I find it hard to believe all Chiefs fans are disrespecting the Bills as you imply. 

7 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Nobody likes your responses. 

Typical. Attack the person and not their valid points. 

9 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Coaching too.

Allen was a raw product, a diamond in the rough compared to some like Mahomes and Herbert - so how fast a rookie QB hits the ground running may not be quite a fair comparison with Allen coming out of Wyoming after only getting a JUCO offer and those groomed in HS and college programs like Texas Tech and Oregon.

Most NFL scouts worth their salt knew that it was going to take time and an organizational investment to see Allen reach his potential - I think we have scratched the surface and he still has room to grow applying the right touch and mechanics on each throw, recognizing defenses and willing to be patient and take what they are giving up underneath.

He puts in the work and has proven that he defy the experts and can overcome bad habits and develop good muscle memory to be amazing. You have to like what he was able to do in the WNY elements, and I never expected a kid that big to be able to move like he does or be able to beat LBs to the sticks or pylon...

The NFL has some very good young QB talents and we have one of them.

Great post! 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Yea id say we're being quite complimentary of the chiefs haha I think theyre borderline unstoppable up until the redzone where being able to stretch the field vertically isn't as important and that's where we'll have to make some stops...which is why you see teams defending them the way we tried in the afccg. Letting tyreek Hill beat you deep is just gift wrapping them points 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.