Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, chris heff said:

“Really High on Gordon”, good one! Josh Gordon had one really good year and that was 2013, had an okay year in 2018. I don’t get it, but fans will be fans.

The thing is that in close games its a play or two that makes a difference.  Gordon is talented enough that he can make a huge play or two and still not have a really good year.  That one or two plays could be the difference.  Lets say the score is close and the Bills D did a really good job shutting down Hill and Kelce all day.  Then out of the blue Gordon gets hit with a 50 yard TD.  It happens.  Thats what Watkins did for the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Compared to what they were likeast year they're downright civil.

I think getting spanked in the Super Bowl knocked that fanbase down a peg. Watching the face of the franchise run for his life and get knocked around like a ball of string will humble you.  Not to mention they have to be pretty upset at how their defense is playing, considering the Cowboys made Jalen Hurts look like a bottom tier DIII prospect last Monday night.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The thing is that in close games its a play or two that makes a difference.  Gordon is talented enough that he can make a huge play or two and still not have a really good year.  That one or two plays could be the difference.  Lets say the score is close and the Bills D did a really good job shutting down Hill and Kelce all day.  Then out of the blue Gordon gets hit with a 50 yard TD.  It happens.  Thats what Watkins did for the Chiefs.

Gordon has played in one game in two years. He’s been with the Chefs for a week. You think he’s going to make a difference in this game?

16 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Agree that Allen decides how this game goes for us. If we get happy feet Allen who drifts in the pocket and floats balls even for a quarter we're in trouble. 

Mentally he can't let the Chiefs be in his head and think about what happened last year especially since their defense looks like complete trash so far this season.

Needs to come out firing and looking like the Allen we saw last week against WFT because we have zero chance to win this game if we get the bad version of him that we've seen at times this year and that last thing you want is this to be a 'get right' type of game for the chiefs defense.

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Still no answer for Chiefs D line.  

The Chiefs are fairly banged up on the front of their D

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/03/kansas-city-chiefs-philadelphia-eagles-injuries-joshua-kaindoh-ben-niemann/

Kaindoh is a depth D-Lineman, Niemann is starting LBer, Willie Gay has been on IR, and Frank Clark missed the Eagles game.

Maybe they win and maybe they lose, but a) on any Sunday the Jets can beat the Titans; and b) I like our chances against KC more than I liked the Jets chances against the Titans.

Go Bills!

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The Chiefs are fairly banged up on the front of their D

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/03/kansas-city-chiefs-philadelphia-eagles-injuries-joshua-kaindoh-ben-niemann/

Kaindoh is a depth D-Lineman, Niemann is starting LBer, Willie Gay has been on IR, and Frank Clark missed the Eagles game.

Maybe they win and maybe they lose, but a) on any Sunday the Jets can beat the Titans; and b) I like our chances against KC more than I liked the Jets chances against the Titans.

Go Bills!

i get your point... but the titans were missing both their wr's. and they just so happened to be 2 of their most important players. context.

22 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Gordon has played in one game in two years. He’s been with the Chefs for a week. You think he’s going to make a difference in this game?

Maybe, maybe not.  If we lose by 7 and he made a TD catch or a huge first down because our D was focused on Hill and Kelce do you think that makes a difference?  He may not have played in two years but that doesn't mean he can't.  The dude may be messed in the head and likes his weed but he is still ultra talented.  It only takes one play to make a difference.

Again, I am not talking about walking out week one and dominating a game.  I am talking about making a play or two that could change the course of a tight game.  Gordon is not JAG.  He has a ton of talent.  It won't be hard to design a few plays he can run on offense without him knowing the full book in one week.

This is the type of game that sets the course for the #1 seed.  I hope our offense is clicking on all cylinders.  I hope Daboll made adjustments.  I hope McD/Frazier made adjustments.  

I am not worried about our defense.  I think they are legit good.  Maybe not number 1 where they stand now but top 10 good.  KC is going to score their points regardless, but they need to make some key stops and get a turnover or two.  

Our o-line needs to be better.  Josh needs to be good from the start through the finish. Can't leave points on the field against this team.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

This is the biggest game of the regular season. It would effectively give us a 3 game lead on the Chiefs for the one seed.  

Equally important, Josh and the guys need to know they can beat them.  Confidence is relevant and important. 

wait what 

no reverse psychology?

I'm really curious how we will respond as the chiefs make their plays. We've been able to gloss over a lot of sloppy play during these past 3 games against bad quarterbacks and teams. Could be a bit jarring to see how little room there is for error in a matchup like this. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  If we lose by 7 and he made a TD catch or a huge first down because our D was focused on Hill and Kelce do you think that makes a difference?  He may not have played in two years but that doesn't mean he can't.  The dude may be messed in the head and likes his weed but he is still ultra talented.  It only takes one play to make a difference.

Again, I am not talking about walking out week one and dominating a game.  I am talking about making a play or two that could change the course of a tight game.  Gordon is not JAG.  He has a ton of talent.  It won't be hard to design a few plays he can run on offense without him knowing the full book in one week.

Im just confused where you get ultra talented from?  I dont think hes in football shape.  I think hes just as likely to make a game breaking fumble as he is to make a game making TD catch.

NFL Defensive totals (TEAM). 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/netYardsPerGame/dir/desc

Kansas City
SCORING: 31st (31.3 ppg)

YARDS: 31st (437.8 ypg allowed) 

PASSING: 27th (291.8 allowed)

RUSHING: 28th (146.0 allowed)

TURNOVERS: 26th (-3) 

At this point, their defense is suspect at best. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we should come out running the ball on KC.  Establish that, then unleash Josh.  Calm Josh down, that OL looked much better, and I like having Singletary/Moss involved early.  Seems to get everyone going, opens stuff up.  

Sanders is a game changer for us v. Brown last year, so that's a positive on offense.  So is Knox's improvement.  

Unclear how our D plays, first top offense it's faced.  Hopefully the D line is ready to rumble.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

What I found most discouraging about the loss last year was that we couldn't move the ball against their decent defense. I expected them to put up points, I didn't expect for our offense to be so bad. 

the Bills had no running game 

longer sustained drives with balance 

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think we should come out running the ball on KC.  Establish that, then unleash Josh.  Calm Josh down, that OL looked much better, and I like having Singletary/Moss involved early.  Seems to get everyone going, opens stuff up.  

Sanders is a game changer for us v. Brown last year, so that's a positive on offense.  So is Knox's improvement.  

Unclear how our D plays, first top offense it's faced.  Hopefully the D line is ready to rumble.  

Agree across the board. 

One thing that has been missing from our offense for a while are Allen scrambles.  I'm not talking designed runs, but rather him just pulling the ball down and taking off.  Obviously, I would rather him keep his eyes downfield and look to make big plays, but there are a few times in each game, especially on 3rd downs and in short yardage situations where there are lanes available for him to take off, potentially get a first down, but sometimes he tries forcing passes.  Some he completes, some he doesn't.  I am a big proponent of keeping the chains moving as much as possible because it gives us more opportunities to hit big plays.

He used to do it a lot, and I don't need him to do it at that level he used to because he is better throwing the ball than he used to be, but one thing it did was keep defenses honest and force them to pay attention to it.  I think if he got back to doing it 3 or 4 times a game, it really help our offense.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If I'm not mistaken, except for Mahomes throwing an interception at the start of the second half (and them kneeling to run out the clock at the end of the game), the Chiefs scored touchdowns on every possession they had yesterday.

For that matter the Eagles did not punt in the game either. 

Edited by Dr. K

KC is wounded (a 2-2 record) and desperately in need of a win, especially against a team who's contending for the #1 seed. They'll be a formidable, and quite dangerous, opponent. Everyone at OBD knows this.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Anyone else worried about Josh Gordon.  I know, he's 30, been out of the league, etc.  I can't find the link, but apparently KC is going to activate him and he's "looked like a top #1 WR" during practice.  

Anyone playing against that defense is gonna look like a top WR. 

• Haha (+1) 3

KC is still a dangerous team and in my opinion the biggest threat in the AFC. KC is 2-2 while not tragic not exactly the record you expect from a contending team. But their two losses were both in close games to a very good Ravens team and a good Chargers team. That's not exactly a bad resume of losses. In my opinion if the Bills want to get the lone bye week in the AFC (which is such a huge advantage) they need to win this game. It would bury KC effectively 3 games behind the Bills as they would be 2 games back in the loss column and lose the tie breaker. Mentally I think beating KC would also be a very advantageous for the Bills. With an away game in KC we will know exactly where the Bills stand in terms of how good they are. They have beaten up on 3 bad to average teams. Let's see exactly how they handle a true contender on the road. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i get your point... but the titans were missing both their wr's. and they just so happened to be 2 of their most important players. context.

Context .. Pittsburgh beat Buffalo. Heck one year the Bills beat the Pats 31-0 back in the drought years. Crazy losses happen. If the Bills win it would not be "expected" but to make it like we have no chance is not  a logical stance. At present I put it at 35-40% chance the Bills win.

Well the way I see this game is this.

It's an October game not a January game.  It's not the end of the world for either team who suffers a loss.

Last year was last year and this year is this year.  If the Buffalo Bills let them get into their heads too much (like it is for a lot of fans) they will lose.

I think the Bills on the road will help their emotions and keep them focused versus a home game.

Daboll, Josh and the offense have to take what they are given to start the game and adjust accordingly.  If that happens they can score

enough points to win.  The longer they are on the field the less Mahomes and their O is on.

Frazier and the D are going to give up points and probably a lot of them.  They just got to find a way to stop them when they can.

Special Teams can turn this game for either team when it comes down to it.

Once again it's a game in October.  Hope the Bills play their game against the Chiefs and not the other way around.  Just do that and let the 

chips fall where they will.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4

Thoughts:

KC will score at least 20 points. I dont think our D will look even close to what we are used to right now. I think it will be better than what we saw in last years two games though.

So if KC gets to 24 points its all on the offense. If we get the good Josh and can protect we win this one 38-24. If we get the no so good version its a long night and we lose 24-16. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.