Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

My two cents on this game. I think Milano will be a go for this one. If what I've been reading is true about what he was doing on the sidelines during the game after he came out, I'm more inclined to believe McDermott was erring on the side of caution. Now whether or not he can keep Kelce in check at least for some of the time is the question. Kelce will end up getting his share of receptions. I also believe Gabe Davis could explode on the scene. Josh has spread it out over the last 2 games. Beas and Sanders were his targets against Washington, Diggs and Knox were the targets against Houston. Could be a Davis and Beasley combo against KC, as well as Moss. That's not to say the others won't get their share, but I think Davis' workload being lightened the past 3 weeks wasn't related to his injury alone. Above all else tho, I'm hoping for a win no matter who gets the most targets

Ever since I was a young boy growing up on the West Side, I have been following the Bills since 63 or 64.  Tom Sestak and Cookie Gilcrest were the best guys on the team back then.  

Right now I think we, the Buffalo Bills, could have the best team in the league.  It’s time to beat KC on the road.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Andy Reid has had his way with us since Mahomes got to KC 

McDermott beat Reid in 2017 at Arrowhead. 

Granted it was Tyrod Taylor against Alex Smith… but that Chiefs team was much more talented than us. Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, etc. 

Another potentially significant difference is that it was Bob Sutton at DC in 2017 instead of Steve Spagnuolo. 

(And Matt Nagy as OC instead of Bienemy, but Reid is widely believed to mix it in more on offense than defense)

I tend to feel Spagnuolo has McDermott's number, and maybe there's a bit of a backstory there as well. 

Spagnuolo was a 42 yr old defensive backs coach when Sean McDermott became "Andy Reid's Butler" (Ass't to the HC) in 2001.  Spags had moved on to become a 48 yr old DC for the Giants in 2007.  8 years later, McD was DC of the Eagles at age 35 and Spags was the (ultimately failed) HC of the Rams at age 50. 

It wouldn't be a big surprise for there to be a bit of "juice" between the hardworking, aging coaching vet grinding along towards his chance, and the hot new guy on the fast track.

The thing about McDermott, though, is he seems like the song "Tubthumping" - he may get knocked down but he'll be steely-eyed focused on what he can do differently and better until he solves you.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Looks like we might see rain this Sunday again. 

I know it’s early, but such BS man. Just want to play without worrying about whether someone would’ve caught it but for rain or a gust of wind. I’m sitting here watching the Chiefs vs Eagles on replay and it’s a beautiful sunny day. We’ve had ***** weather in all but one game this year. And even the one nice day wind was a consideration. 

Good lord everyone on this board is scared to death of KC lol. So there a good team there’s a few in the afc this year. Look at LA they played with confidence and won that game with a 2 year QB. There not NE with Tom Brady in there glory days, and we’re not the same team. It’s time to turn the page bills fans and let’s kick some butt. Go bills 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Good lord everyone on this board is scared to death of KC lol. So there a good team there’s a few in the afc this year. Look at LA they played with confidence and won that game with a 2 year QB. There not NE with Tom Brady in there glory days, and we’re not the same team. It’s time to turn the page bills fans and let’s kick some butt. Go bills 

Says who? I’m not at all scared to death, but I do have a healthy respect for a team that has owned us recently. We need to prove we can beat them, and doing it at their place would be even better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Says who? I’m not at all scared to death, but I do have a healthy respect for a team that has owned us recently. We need to prove we can beat them, and doing it at their place would be even better. 

Plus their offense is historically elite. All-time great. Minus a SB game with all reshuffled backups along the o-line.

I know Mcdermott/Frazier are locked into their nickle defense.  But if Milano is out this week, it might be nice to see us mix up looks with Klein (nickle) and then going dime on 3rd downs/other situations.  Assuming Taron and Poyer are back, I'd consider promoting Lewis again (insurance for Johnson and our dimeback), while Boogie doesn't dress.

Not getting my hopes up, but other teams have had some success doing this against KC in 2020 (ie: Pats, Raiders, Bucs).

I still like Kleins versatility blitzing, but i think he's a liability in coverage against a team with this much speed. Just not a good match up, and think our best 11 on defense might be more dime looks this week.  

The Chiefs defense is allowing something like 3 points per possession.... and yet the Chiefs are scoring at a higher clip. Except for the Eagles all their games could have went either way. 4-0 or 1-3. They can beat any team easily and the key to beating them is going to make them one dimensional. Their OLine is much better than last year... I'm not sure you'll be able to pressure Mahomes often.... this is going to be on Josh and the Offense

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

I know it’s early, but such BS man. Just want to play without worrying about whether someone would’ve caught it but for rain or a gust of wind. I’m sitting here watching the Chiefs vs Eagles on replay and it’s a beautiful sunny day. We’ve had ***** weather in all but one game this year. And even the one nice day wind was a consideration. 

I am right with you. Every week I am checking the weather and it kills me— either rain or “gusting winds” or whatever.  Our offense is unstoppable in perfect weather conditions. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

They beat us twice I wouldn’t say they own us, but if you read a few comments not many give us a chance. Everyone is acting like they’ve been beating us for 20 years like NE did. I for one can’t wait for this game this is what it’s all about big games. In years past we would no it’s going to be a blowout, I’m just happy it’s week 5 and Buffalo is in a big game that could lead to home field if we win. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 97bills said:

They beat us twice I wouldn’t say they own us, but if you read a few comments not many give us a chance. Everyone is acting like they’ve been beating us for 20 years like NE did. I for one can’t wait for this game this is what it’s all about big games. In years past we would no it’s going to be a blowout, I’m just happy it’s week 5 and Buffalo is in a big game that could lead to home field if we win. 

They have beaten us in 5 of the last 6 games, but nothing beyond last season really matters (if even that, each year is a new season). They beat us twice last year by a combined 23 points. I’m with you, I’m NOT afraid of them, but I WILL give them healthy respect. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Just one inside game this year too.  I fully expect thunderstorms in our two Florida games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For the people who wanted the Bills to sign Steven Nelson to give them a veteran man-coverage CB...........as I said at the time,  if you gotta' cover Tyreek Hill man-to-man,   Steven Nelson can't do that.   

And watching that Chiefs at Eagles game.........Nelson got absolutely TORCHED all day by Hill.

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For the people who wanted the Bills to sign Steven Nelson to give them a veteran man-coverage CB...........as I said at the time,  if you gotta' cover Tyreek Hill man-to-man,   Steven Nelson can't do that.   

And watching that Chiefs at Eagles game.........Nelson got absolutely TORCHED all day by Hill.

Why on earth would we put our #2 CB on Tyreek Hill?

• Haha (+1) 1

As others have mentioned, the Bills could be in REALLY good shape with a win here.

I see 5 contenders for the No. 1 seed - us, CLE, BAL, KC, and LAC. All of the competition have MUCH more difficult schedules than we do. Buffalo could really be in a position to control their own destiny with a victory Sunday night. Of course, this also says the game is at least as meaningful to the Chiefs as it is to us.

Edited by buffblue

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

Damn, I always put my Bill's helmet on. I'm ready to pull a "Rudy." Great inspiration. Go Bills!

1 minute ago, CodeMonkey said:

Now we see what this years Bills team is.  Lost to a mediocre steelers team week 1 and crushed 3 JV teams since.

Time to see if they are contenders or pretenders.

I agree. However, the AFC east is so weak the Bills will win it by default. I'm not complaining...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Just watched Colin Cowherd's rankings, I can't believe the Chiefs have only had ONE 3 & out all year. That's crazy...

True but its not like they haven't had short drives.  They had a bunch of 3-5 play drives that either resulted in a turnover or a punt.  Not exactly a 3 and out but not much different.

2 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

Just re-watched the Bucs-Chiefs Super Bowl.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but the amount of holding calls against the Chiefs' secondary really affected the outcome. 

I hope this time the refs call it the same way in the game Sunday.

They didn't call it in the AFCCG last year when they absolutely mugged our receivers. What makes you think they will call it now? They cried like lil babies when TB did it to them😂

All I know is the Bills won't get away with wasting RZ opportunities. IIRC they had 4 wasted trips against the Texans ending in FGs. That won't cut it against KC .

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Are you referring to the rain game we won 40-0?

Yep. The rain seemed to make him "aim" his passes like game one and two, where it was more like pushing darts than really slinging it. 

He was still efficient at QB and hugely capable. But I'd like to see peak Josh show up against the chiefs, and I think conditions that prevent or discourage him from really putting some heat on his throws are less than ideal.

15 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

They have a super bowl MVP QB, the best tight end in the league, a hall a fame coach, a young dynamic runner, Chris Jones, Houston, Frank Clark, and the honey bagder. Additionally, they have owned the Bills. Do you really think we closed the gap? 

If your scared, say your scared, because what you type says your scared, the only other alternative is that your not a Bills fans and you’re just doing this to get a reaction, which is most likely the case, you like your QB namesake are both unwanted.

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, nucci said:

Neutral pass rate?

Just another worthless stat/ranking, nothing to see here.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Yep. The rain seemed to make him "aim" his passes like game one and two, where it was more like pushing darts than really slinging it. 

He was still efficient at QB and hugely capable. But I'd like to see peak Josh show up against the chiefs, and I think conditions that prevent or discourage him from really putting some heat on his throws are less than ideal.

I'd like to see the Josh from last season vs Denver and the Bills defense from week two of this season.

53 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

If your scared, say your scared, because what you type says your scared, the only other alternative is that your not a Bills fans and you’re just doing this to get a reaction, which is most likely the case, you like your QB namesake are both unwanted.

Go Bills!!!

Just another worthless stat/ranking, nothing to see here.

Sometimes is best to say nothing...

• Like (+1) 1

The offense is going to have to win it. Not to say the defense doesn't have a role. The Oline of KC might be even worse than Buffalo. Pressure on Mahomes can slow him down. Look at the Chargers game. Also, the Bills look much improved in stopping the run. Star is showing his value on the Oline. I believe the Chiefs will try to get CEH highly involved in their offense via run and pass. Tyreke is always dangerous. Kelce us unstoppable when it comes to Buffalo. 

Allen has to be sharp. He cannot be "over hyped" or whatever you call it in the beginning of the game. That has to stop and get fixed. If not, the Cheifs will jump on Buffalo. Buffalo will unlikely recover from such a poor start. 

Lastly, is it me or does it seem like the special teams has gotten a little better? I don't recall cringing when the Bills are punting. "Bassamatic" has been as reliable as they come.

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

After the Moss TD I saw that Houston DB go over to Allen and it looked like they were talking for more than just a second for it to be some quick trash talk - I couldn't imagine what was being said.  Now I know.  "What part of California are you from?"   OMG

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am at the point where I want for bills

to bring a portable stadium cover wherever they go. 

With the Chiefs struggling to stop the run and the way we ran the ball in a downpour.

I am not too concerned with our Bills handling the elements.

The Bills have put up 35+ points on better D’s than they will see Sunday Night.

Even though in the grand scheme of things a loss isn’t the end of the world here, but the Bills need to show KC that they have arrived and smack this team in the mouth on their turf.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Why the four incorrect yours and then one correct? Lol

This game is all about Bills Offense coming in to the game relaxed and not try to play tense because it's KC. Allen needs to be calm at the start and focus to play KC's defense and not worry about what KC's offense. If Bills D can't make few key plays or stops in the game then bills won't win anyway but at least we need to see offense have some success and give themselves a chance to win the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.