Week 5: Bills at Chiefs on SNF

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't care how it looks?  Fine... I'll be in the minority.  I care how this team looks... I think it's important to have a team firing on all cylinders and getting Ws rather than lucking into a W because the ball luckily keeps bouncing their way and the refs keep giving them calls.

I'll obviously take the latter... but absolutely prefer the former... and I think some of you who are saying otherwise feel the same way.

And if you do.... you care how it looks.

Ever hear the expression, “It’s better to be lucky than good?” Obviously, we’d all like to be good all the time and have our talent whip ass all the time, but even the best and most talented can’t beat bad luck. 

Ever hear the saying, “Nobody asks how, only how many?” If we don’t look awesome in beating the Chiefs, people won’t give a crap by the next game. 

Really, all Sunday’s game means is an opportunity to go two games up in the conference after five games. I think it’s important to keep perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

The Bills can be "firing on all cylinders" and getting wins and still have struggles throughout the game in various areas against the really good teams (like KC). These are not mutually exclusive things. Do you watch the SEA vs SF, PIT vs BAL games ever when both teams are good? There a boatload of mistakes and successes on either side throughout the game. These are not bounces of luck or ref calls typically, they are good opponents who are also getting paid and the teams know each other inside and out.

The jobs of DCs across the league are to disrupt the offense and personnel they're going up against. And some of these DCs are geniuses.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

They do but I can't take the Raiders (that defense) or Broncos (the QBs) seriously. With 7 teams making the playoffs, they just need to be better than the 3rd place team in the North (which will be on of Cinncy, Balt or CLE), or finish ahead of either the Raiders or the Broncos.  

Their defense is in gonna cost them a handful of games, but not enough to keep them out IMO

I think the bye week is more important than the home field advantage. I hate the new format because there's not enough upside to fight for the #2 seed. 

I might do some math on this, but I think home field advantage in the NFL is fairly overrated. 

Want Mahomes at home or on the road?  Has Mahomes won or played a road playoff game? Heck Brady has an average road playoff record.  

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Want Mahomes at home or on the road?  Has Mahomes won or played a road playoff game? Heck Brady has an average road playoff record.  

Well there's a correlation question here. Generally the teams that earn homefield are better teams. 

When Brady has to go on the road, it means he's playing a team that played better than his through out the year...so is it the homefield, or being the better team, why Brady has a 500 road playoff record?

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Well there's a correlation question here. Generally the teams that earn homefield are better teams. 

When Brady has to go on the road, it means he's playing a team that played better than his through out the year...so is it the homefield, or being the better team, why Brady has a 500 road playoff record?

Maybe.  Either way getting the 1 seed is important.  Maybe more now with 1 team getting the bye.  

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Maybe.  Either way getting the 1 seed is important.  Maybe more now with 1 team getting the bye.  

With this I agree. But the Bills could lose this by 50 and I still think they end up with the #1 seed. The AFC East is bad bad outside of Buffalo, there are no good teams in the AFC South, while the North and West look set to beat the crap out of each other. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Bro, maybe you’re thinking of the white shirt and blue pants when it comes to losing.

Personally, I'm of the opinion the threads don't matter.  Well, perhaps the red on red matters.  Those should be used to change the oil in the team buses.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

Personally, I'm of the opinion the threads don't matter.  Well, perhaps the red on red matters.  Those should be used to change the oil in the team buses.

They matter. Not a huge amount, but they matter.  sometimes you feel faster with a certain look. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

But you're looking at the opposing guy, right?

When I played, and we had our dark blue pants with whites (we generally looked like PSU), I swear I felt faster and that started from pre-game. 

My track coach used to have a thing about making sure we didn't look sloppy in practice or meets "you look good, you feel good, you perform better".  

1 minute ago, appoo said:

When I played, and we had our dark blue pants with whites (we generally looked like PSU), I swear I felt faster and that started from pre-game. 

My track coach used to have a thing about making sure we didn't look sloppy in practice or meets "you look good, you feel good, you perform better".  

I didn't think you were serious.  Sorry

Just now, Pokebball said:

I didn't think you were serious.  Sorry

haha its all good. It's pretty damn silly honestly. But you definitely see players have certain looks which they think makes them play better. It's pure superstition which disguises ones own psychological games they play on themselves. 

I mean stefon diggs arms sleeves are always rolled into his shoulder pads, presumably because he thinks it's more aerodynamic or maybe makes it harder for DBs to grab him or something. 

14717843_web1_Colts-Bills-Football.jpg?c

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

Пусть блохи тысячи яков вторгнутся в ремешок Махоума, и пусть его руки будут слишком короткими, чтобы поцарапать его.

Let the fleas of a thousand yaks invade Mahome's strap, and let his arms be too short to scratch him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

The Chiefs will dare us to run on defense and misdirect Edmunds into oblivion on offense. I sent a emails to Daboll and Frazier.

I think you are right on daring the Bills to run. Thus far, the Bills offense has little success vs their defense. However, the Chiefs defense looks worse than last year. A running threat and some success would be great for Allen. Not sure what changes Daboll and the offense makes. I'm assuming they just can't do the same old thing. Imho, the Bills will need to score at least 30 points to win. I'm very encouraged by the Bills recent l defensive play. However, the Chiefs offense should be able to score vs the Bills. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you are right on daring the Bills to run. Thus far, the Bills offense has little success vs their defense. However, the Chiefs defense looks worse than last year. A running threat and some success would be great for Allen. Not sure what changes Daboll and the offense makes. I'm assuming they just can't do the same old thing. Imho, the Bills will need to score at least 30 points to win. I'm very encouraged by the Bills recent l defensive play. However, the Chiefs offense should be able to score vs the Bills. 

I think 36-40 will be required. Holding Chiefs to 35 is a reasonable expectation. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought daboll's play calling in the afc championship was kinda weak. That could partially be due to the cheifs just destroying us right from the start. I think the bills need to be super aggressive on offense and defense all game long. If there's one thing I've learned watching the cheifs, it's that there is no lead you can have that is safe. The bills could litterally be winning 40-10 with 2 mins to go in the 4th and I'd still be nervous 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't care how it looks?  Fine... I'll be in the minority.  I care how this team looks... I think it's important to have a team firing on all cylinders and getting Ws rather than lucking into a W because the ball luckily keeps bouncing their way and the refs keep giving them calls.

I'll obviously take the latter... but absolutely prefer the former... and I think some of you who are saying otherwise feel the same way.

And if you do.... you care how it looks.

There have been a lot of games Mahomes/offense has looked like crap for the first half or second half even or at least a quarter.  No one cares or even really notices because Mahomes drove them down at the end of the game for the game winning TD or FG.

3 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

The Bills can be "firing on all cylinders" and getting wins and still have struggles throughout the game in various areas against the really good teams (like KC). These are not mutually exclusive things. Do you watch the SEA vs SF, PIT vs BAL games ever when both teams are good? There a boatload of mistakes and successes on either side throughout the game. These are not bounces of luck or ref calls typically, they are good opponents who are also getting paid and the teams know each other inside and out.

Yes this.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Diggs has said that in interviews. 

23 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Other than the Super Bowl this year?

Haha fair enough I guess since it was at Tampa and Tampa was the home team..

I still don't consider that a true "road 

" game though as it's not like the Bucs had all their season holders at the game and it sure wasn't a 95 percent pro Bucs crowd.

Edited by BillsFan130

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

I thought daboll's play calling in the afc championship was kinda weak. That could partially be due to the cheifs just destroying us right from the start. I think the bills need to be super aggressive on offense and defense all game long. If there's one thing I've learned watching the cheifs, it's that there is no lead you can have that is safe. The bills could litterally be winning 40-10 with 2 mins to go in the 4th and I'd still be nervous 

The Bills (almost literally) limped into that game. No real running game, Zack Moss on IR, Diggs, Beasley and Davis hobbling around and getting pushed around by KC's DBs. In our first matchup we had equal  issues. No Milano, weak DL, White coming off a back injury, Edmunds playing with a bum shoulder, Brown basically being a decoy/non-factor.

Just wish we could play them at relatively good or full strength to get a real read. Feel like our last 2 matchups have been played with one hand tied behind our back.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

There have been a lot of games Mahomes/offense has looked like crap for the first half or second half even or at least a quarter.  No one cares or even really notices because Mahomes drove them down at the end of the game for the game winning TD or FG.

Yes this.

You said this perfectly!

My point has been that everyone struggles through quarters, halves, games and even stretches of the season. Heck, the Chiefs are somewhat struggling now at 2-2.

That said, let’s just focus on quarters or halves during a game. People will say that if Allen, this player, the offense or the defense (or whoever gets picked on that week) plays like “this” they won’t be able to win an upcoming game against “this” opponent. And, they base it off the Bills having a good game mixed with struggles in the game as well.

All the while, the best teams have had quarters and halves where they struggle too. Then, they turned it on and either separate them themselves or won by a small margin. But, unless you’re a fan of said team that’s actually watching the game, everyone else just sees the highlights (and typically not the struggles) and says “oh man, they’re an awesome team. If the bills are going to beat ‘this’ team then they have to play darn near perfect.”

While there are exceptions, it’s just not realistic and how it often happens because the best teams have stretches in a game and even in a season where they struggle and don’t play their best.

Again, great post. You worded that very well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me, this game is about the Bills offense and their offensive line.  The other units for both teams are known commodities.

Things that will make me cringe:

• Stubbornly sticking to 4 receiver and empty sets when they're not working.  Bills' WR4 may be better than the coverage (playing the individual matchup), but the offense becomes predictable and you're leaving Knox and Moss on the sideline.  
  • Josh making back foot throws (even if he got away with it against Houston).
  • Letting the ball get punched out of your arms.  It's a no-brainer to do this to Josh and our backs at every chance.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.