You're facing the Buffalo Bills in the 2020 playoffs...what's your game plan?

eball

It struck me recently that teams facing the Bills have a pretty huge dilemma.  Since their bye week the Bills have had the best offense in the league, a top ten defense, and top five special teams unit.

A -- what's your plan to come into Orchard Park and walk out with a W?

B -- even if the team executes your plan, do you still need something "crazy" to happen?

Discuss.

• Like (+1) 1

As I posted in the prediction thread, I think Reich pulls a Parcells-Belichick from the Bills first Super Bowl.  Ball control to keep Bills O off the field. INdy has the run game to do that.  The Bills O needs to start hot and score early to force them out of it. 

• Like (+1) 7

I would imagine that aside from the chiefs, the plan for other teams would be to slow the game down.  The Chiefs and maybe the Packers are probably the only team that can really "keep up" with the Bills offensively. 

I would play the Bills similar to how the Bills played the Chiefs earlier in the year.  Drop a bunch into coverage and force them to run the ball/slowly march the ball down the field.  Offensively, playing efficiently would be key because you know the Bills are going to score.  But if you minimize the number of possessions each team has then you can hope that the Bills happen to just not have success on their fewer drives. 

Edited by berg1029

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

As I posted in the prediction thread, I think Reich pulls a Parcells-Belichick from the Bills first Super Bowl.  Ball control to keep Bills O off the field. INdy has the run game to do that.  The Bills O needs to start hot and score early to force them out of it. 

Agreed.

1) on offense, run the ball, and drain the clock.  

2) on defense, I would do what the Patriots did in their first game against us. Basically, play the whole game in a Dime defense, and force the Bills to beat you by running the ball with Singletary or Moss.

• Like (+1) 2

LOSE😜

5 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

I would imagine that aside from the chiefs, the plan for other teams would be to slow the game down.  The Chiefs and maybe the Packers are probably the only team that can really "keep up" with the Bills offensively. 

I would play the Bills similar to how the Bills played the Chiefs earlier in the year.  Drop a bunch into coverage and force them to run the ball/slowly march the ball down the field.  Offensively, playing efficiently would be key because you know the Bills are going to score.  But if you minimize the number of possessions each team has then you can hope that the Bills happen to just not have success on their fewer drives. 

I don’t disagree with this but....

Josh and all his receivers have feasted off the “ Short passing game” all year. Every week they have started drives deep in their own territory and methodically moved it down the field playing their own version of “ Ball control”.

The only way to beat the Bills is for the D line to consistently pressure Josh in less than two seconds with four or less rushers. We haven’t seen this yet.

9 minutes ago, TPS said:

Funny thing is that the bills have been winning time of possession (ranked 3rd in nfl) even with the red hot passing game. If the defense continues their solid play,  indy is toast. 

What you should do is what Indy is going to do. Zone defense with extra DBs as they don't really have the skill at that position to cover man to man. Josh will see a lot of cover 2 I'm guessing. The Colts are praying that Buckner will be able to generate pressure without blitz help. 

Offensively, they're going to run and keep running and hope that the Bills start stacking the box at which point Rivers will try to complete those quick passes to RBs in the flat or to whoever Levi Wallace or Josh Norman is covering. 

Speed up Josh Allen....when I say speed him up, I mean affect him, make him throw it before he wants.  Just having him scramble to buy time does not count, sack him, make him throw it as you are hitting him, etc.  The Rams and Steelers both had some success with this.  Other than that, big plays in turnovers and special teams can always be an equalizer.

The thing about running the ball and draining the clock only works if you score.    The Bills dont need a lot of time to score points, so all you're doing is putting yourself at a disadvantage.   That said, I dont think the Colts need to be a different team, and I wouldnt try to get in a boat race with the Bills.  

I would play my game, and try to punch the ball out anytime I got near Josh.   The Colts need to cause turnovers to beat the Bills.     If you get Josh flustered it can go down hill in a hurry.

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Indy's D is good but it isn't great. Especially not against the pass.  Their strength is Run D. Bills don't really care about running, they just sprinkle it in enough to keep teams honest many times.

They will try and play zone, but so did SF, Denver and New England.  3 teams with some of the best defensive minds in football got obliterated by Allen when they attempted to do it. It also led to some of the best views of how frustrated they get with Allen...Saleh simply had a look of helplessness on his face and a blank stare.  Fangio threw up his arms in frustration and cursed. Belichick got so mad he assaulted a phone.

Miami with Flores and Boyer, Rams with Staley, 3 of the brightest young defensive minds in football attempted to play man and got obliterated.

At his point, there really is no answer.  Their best plan of attack would be for Buckner to wreck the offensive gameplan by being in Allen's face all day, similar to what Cam Heyward did with the Steelers for most of the 1st half.  At the end of the half, the Bills started moving the ball as they adjusted to what the Steelers were doing and then in the second half they made Heyward a non factor and obliterated their D.

If the Bills control Buckner, they should win the game easily.  I believe they should be able to do so because they have already done good enough against Donald and Heyward in previous games.  Buckner is in Heyward's class but not in Donald's(that isn't saying much since nobody in the history of the NFL really has been).

Bills have also destroyed much better defenses than the Colts.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Offensively, I run the ball straight at Oliver and Edmunds and then take advantage of Edmunds with play action.

On defense I play zone coverages most of the time to keep everything in front of me and to prevent Allen from using his legs for easy chunk plays.  I try to entice Buffalo to run the ball as well via my personnel and alignments. I'd keep 6, 7, DBs on the field at all times.  Getting Buffalo to run makes them play away from their strength and also helps me shorten the game and limit possessions.

• Like (+1) 3

This is a great question.. its tough to answer if i have the colts Im trying to get pressure with my front four and moving Buckner around on the dline, mixing zone and man as often as possible to try and confuse allen and do not get beat deep...play like the bills d and keep it all in front. Allen is a matchup nightmare.  On offense try to establish long posessions run the ball screens and slants with the occasional keep them honest deep attempt...Tough game to coach against the Bills.

36 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

On defense I play zone coverages most of the time to keep everything in front of me and to prevent Allen from using his legs for easy chunk plays.  I try to entice Buffalo to run the ball as well via my personnel and alignments. I'd keep 6, 7, DBs on the field at all times.  Getting Buffalo to run makes them play away from their strength and also helps me shorten the game and limit possessions.

I said the same thing above— but the reality is that it’s not going to work. Even against 6 and 7 DB sets playing zone coverage, the Bills have been carving up teams through the air. The Colts weakness is their pass defense.  They could probably put 11 DB’s out there and it wouldn’t matter. 

37 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Offensively, I run the ball straight at Oliver and Edmunds and then take advantage of Edmunds with play action.

I might throw some odd blitz looks there too.  But yeah, this makes the most sense.  

Offensively, control the clock. The less time the Bills are on the field the less of a chance they have to score. Running game, short passing game, mix it together well and try to inch down the field on some sustained drives that end in points. Ride Jonathan Taylor like a broke-back mule and hit Hynes on as many dumpoffs as possible.  

Defensively, pressure. It's the only hope you have. Dial up different blitzes all game long. Hope somehow you can get to Allen or force some turnovers. If you sit back in a zone Allen is going to pick you apart all game long. 

One thing that occured to me is whether Josh will be extra pumped because of the fans being there, and if he is whether that will affect his passing early on in terms of putting too much on the ball.

If I was the Colts I'd pray my D line could get enough pressure with 4 to force some turnovers, then run it at the defense and use the short passing game to wear them out. Josh hasn't fumbled in a while so I'd be telling my defenders to swipe the ball every time they get near him. I'd also try and figure out a way to stop him rolling to the right because he's been deadly when doing that

52 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Indy's D is good but it isn't great. Especially not against the pass.  Their strength is Run D. Bills don't really care about running, they just sprinkle it in enough to keep teams honest many times.

They will try and play zone, but so did SF, Denver and New England.  3 teams with some of the best defensive minds in football got obliterated by Allen when they attempted to do it. It also led to some of the best views of how frustrated they get with Allen...Saleh simply had a look of helplessness on his face and a blank stare.  Fangio threw up his arms in frustration and cursed. Belichick got so mad he assaulted a phone.

Miami with Flores and Boyer, 2 of the brightest defensive minds in football attempted to play man and got obliterated.

At his point, there really is no answer.  Their best plan of attack would be for Buckner to wreck the offensive gameplan by being in Allen's face all day, similar to what Cam Heyward did with the Steelers for most of the 1st half.  At the end of the half, the Bills started moving the ball as they adjusted to what the Steelers were doing and then in the second half they made Heyward a non factor and obliterated their D.

If the Bills control Buckner, they should win the game easily.  I believe they should be able to do so because they have already done good enough against Donald and Heyward in previous games.  Buckner is in Heyward's class but not in Donald's.

I mean this is SO TRUE. I remember literally all of those moments. Who doesnt remember Bellycheat throwing the phone, but the Saleh look on the sidelines is one of my top moments of the season. The hot "it" coordinator with this great D just getting picked apart by Josh's offense lol. Awesome.

Yea I know the Colts will drop guys into coverage with their soft zone - I think they run more cover 3 than traditional cover 2, no?? - but I don't think that will change anything for us offensively. We won't start seeing tons of Moss/Singletary, if anything, Josh will take what the D gives him passing and with his legs and march us up the field like we have seen time and time again. 

What do you do? Stunts and blitz one, send 5, and have to get home. Good luck though, our pass pro has been on point. 

24 minutes ago, H2o said:

Offensively, control the clock. The less time the Bills are on the field the less of a chance they have to score. Running game, short passing game, mix it together well and try to inch down the field on some sustained drives that end in points. Ride Jonathan Taylor like a broke-back mule and hit Hynes on as many dumpoffs as possible.  

Defensively, pressure. It's the only hope you have. Dial up different blitzes all game long. Hope somehow you can get to Allen or force some turnovers. If you sit back in a zone Allen is going to pick you apart all game long. 

How did that work for Miami and Seattle? Allen has been the most pressured and blitzed QB in the NFL this year.  Yeah, you can get to him a few times maybe, but especially lately the pass protection has ben swallowing up blitzes to the point Allen still has all day to throw.  But the majority of the time he is going to carve you up like a Thanksgiving turkey if you try this.  Colts are not a pressure team.  They like trying to create pressure with their front 4 and playing zone behind it. Good luck with that.  Honestly, good luck with anything.  Allen has basically destroyed any type of coverage put in front of him designed by some of the best defensive minds in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I mean this is SO TRUE. I remember literally all of those moments. Who doesnt remember Bellycheat throwing the phone, but the Saleh look on the sidelines is one of my top moments of the season. The hot "it" coordinator with this great D just getting picked apart by Josh's offense lol. Awesome.

Yea I know the Colts will drop guys into coverage with their soft zone - I think they run more cover 3 than traditional cover 2, no?? - but I don't think that will change anything for us offensively. We won't start seeing tons of Moss/Singletary, if anything, Josh will take what the D gives him passing and with his legs and march us up the field like we have seen time and time again. 

What do you do? Stunts and blitz one, send 5, and have to get home. Good luck though, our pass pro has been on point. 

Honestly, you do what you do and just pray. Really hard. Allen has gotten to that level where nothing is going to work, so you just do the best you can.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Pretty much what the Titans did to us offensively, move the ball with lots of runs and play action passing.

Yep.. but in order for that to work you can’t let Buffalo put up lots of points quickly.. We don’t have the best run defense but if Allen drops 14 points on you in the first half then you have to abandon the run and when that happens our defense is really good at teeing off on QBs..

A team with a great running game could do it just like the Giants did us in the first SB keep Allen and crew off the field and run the ball i think is one weakness that the Bills have so i hope we don't come up against the Titans again or Green Bay could be a handful with AJ Dillon in the back field .

Lots of good, traditional ideas here. I would add that Red Zone scoring TDs vs FGAs is as big a factor as any. Executing in situational football, 3rd downs, first down success, end of half. I mean my nightmare is we move the Ball up and down the field for 4 possessions in first half and make a couple FGs, miss one and turn it over once on a fumble. Indy has one or two decent drives and converts a TD and makes a FG. We're down 10-6 at halftime. That's the kind of thing I dread.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

Reich might dial up the Giants Super Bowl 25 game plan. 

Two standing linemen, everyone else drops into coverage, daring the Bills to throw.

Unlike Marv, McDermott will make certain we take what we are given and run it down their throats.

Marv waited too long. Arrogance must be put aside.

The biggest drawback for the Colts is that Allen has legs,unlike Kelly. We would likely see multiple fly routes with Allen running for humongous chunks of yardage.

Either way I believe INDY needs a lot of fortune.

Who knows.

Edited by dlonce

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Miami with Flores and Boyer, 2 of the brightest defensive minds in football attempted to play man and got obliterated.

If the Bills control Buckner, they should win the game easily.  I believe they should be able to do so because they have already done good enough against Donald and Heyward in previous games.  Buckner is in Heyward's class but not in Donald's(that isn't saying much since nobody in the history of the NFL really has been).

Spot on.  And I say this with 100% confidence.  If the Bills execute their game plan as effectively and efficiently as they've done in the past month-plus  it won't matter what strategy the Colts come into the game with here.  One thing in the back of my mind is what I feel is some parallels of the post season leading up to SB25.  But I think this 2020 team is so dialed in mentally and physically and appears to be on a mission.  They won't falter.