You're facing the Buffalo Bills in the 2020 playoffs...what's your game plan?

eball

On 1/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, Ramza86 said:

Pretty much what the Titans did to us offensively, move the ball with lots of runs and play action passing.

Tannehill seemed to make a lot of big plays with his feet that hurt us that game too.  Something that is of little concern with Rivers.  

Just now, HeHateMe said:

Tannehill seemed to make a lot of big plays with his feet that hurt us that game too.  Something that is of little concern with Rivers.  

Good point. Mobile QB can be an issue in the future. Murray got going with his legs and hurt us.

I'm not sure who used to start these threads, but like I'm sure many of you, I keep thinking about what needs to happen for the Bills to win this game.   Momentum and previous success is nice, but we've seen many teams do the same and get bounced in the first round.  The Colts have playmakers, solid play on both sides of the ball, and a good record.  I don't think any team losing in the AFC playoffs would be considered an upset this year.  Not a huge one, anyways.

1 - Linebackers - The Colts have a strong running game, complete passes on an average of 7 yards downfield, and utilize their TE's.  Our linebackers have a lot to watch out for and need strong tackling.  We can't give up YAC.  Edmunds needs to be concise on his run commitments and gap integrity.  Klein and Milano need to keep showing good pursuit on the end.

2 - Poyer - We need our arguably best defensive player to continue that level of play.  When he's in the box, be effective and disrupt plays.  Also, disguise his coverage enough to where we don't let Hilton take us over the top by telegraphing out coverage.  Poyer can take away any non-WR on the field, and he may be asked to so sporadically

3 - Front 4 - If these guys can generate pressure on their own, while also not getting caught up in mis-direction runs, then the Colts will be in for a long day.  We need these guys to hold their own against a strong offensive line.

4 - Allen - Just be you Josh.  You've proven that you can master Man or Zone, Zero blitz or 3 deep, and the short and long ball.  Take what they give you, but also take your shots.  You've earned the right to dictate how the defense plays, not the other way around

5 - Motor/Moss - Just break a few tackles early and make them respect you.  Just this alone will be huge for our offense

Overall, score early and often.  If we can get an early lead and force the Colts into a one dimensional passing attack, we will be in great shape.  We can't allow the Colts to dictate tempo with a long, drawn out rushing attack. 

I think the key is for Josh Allen to play calm, cool, and collected as he has most of the season. And really that's all. If he can do that the Bills will keep rolling. If he gets hyped up and can't get calm, the Bills may have trouble.

On defense: Run exotic coverages with zone blitzes on passing downs. They have to find ways to get pressure with 4 rushers. The way to do that is to run stunts and blitzes while dropping the extra rushers into coverage to confuse the offensive line and get Buckner in 1:1 matchups. Easier said than done. Rely on inside pressure and don’t be overly aggressive rushing... If they give Allen running lanes he will take off. Speaking of getting Allen to the ground, GANG TACKLE as he could very well Travis Henry a LBer or DB and steal 20 yards. I’d also consider going into the game with two defensive game plans, so I can switch at any time once Allen/Daboll figure it out. 

On Offense: Run the ball and utilize play action. Run a lot of counters and test the defense horizontally with jet sweeps. See if you can exploit Edmunds by getting him to take a bad first step. Use screens to take advantage of Bills DEs being overly aggressive, especially if the DBs are playing off the LOS. 

More than anything else.... win individual matchups on critical downs. 

Josh not to turn the ball over and play like he has been. 

Don’t let the run game for the Colts be completely dominant. Just need to slow it down. 

pressure rivers all day. 

Don’t let TY Hilton get a big play 

Our offense is good enough to score on any defense. We just can’t let them run all over us and slow the pace of the game down.